Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread***

bryhamm

Getting my first cook of Prime filets from Costco.  I usually go with the choice filets from Costco due to price but I decided to step up for this cook.  The choice filets come out pretty well. As good or better than the national chains.  I'll have to see if the extra cost is worth it. 

Help me with pork chops. I always seem to dry them out.

I have some butterfly chops that have been marinating all day. My gear is a 22" Weber, so my plan is to indirect cook them. Any thoughts on time - I usually go around 45 minutes or so, but it seems there is a fine line between perfect and dry.

This is the only meat I have issues with - help me pork my pork. :headbang:

• Like 1

Just now, ChiefD said:

I have some butterfly chops that have been marinating all day. My gear is a 22" Weber, so my plan is to indirect cook them. Any thoughts on time - I usually go around 45 minutes or so, but it seems there is a fine line between perfect and dry.

pork chops you can do direct.  Maybe thats why they are drying out?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

brine em and use internal thermometer; pull at 145.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Always direct. I cook boneless pork chops like I do steak

Only to a little higher temp

• Like 3

On 7/22/2017 at 6:21 PM, Joe Bryant said:

FWIW, this seemed like a pretty fair comparison between Kamado Joe and Big Green Egg. With the results exactly to what I'd expect.

The bottom line seems that the Kamado Joe was slightly higher quality but zero difference in the food cooked on the two. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WemFcE_O9AY

Man, my KJ is almost 10 years old.  It doesn't have all those fancy new features.  It's basically got the exact same set up as the BGE in that video.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ChiefD said:

This is the probably the biggest mistake people make on the grill. They cook to time, not temp. Never cook to time. Always cook to temp. What takes 45 minutes on a hot day in the summer might take an hour on a blustery day in November and an hour and 15 on a frigid day in February. Also, we don't normally buy the meat with the exact same weight. An 8 ounce pork chop takes a lot less time to cook than a 12 ounce. 

Other than a grill and tongs, the one thing I recommend every pitmaster own is a digital thermometer. Know when the meat is done instead of guessing based on time. PLUS, when you know what the internal temp is, it makes it easier to see when the meat is done because you know what it looks and feels like because you have that affirmation from the thermometer. 

• Like 2

Man, I'm getting brisket down.  Using the prime packers from Costco.  Using Franklin Barbecue Manifesto recommendations to a T except that I use rub from Salt Lick vs just salt and pepper.  I'm convinced besides the quality of the meat the butcher paper wrap is the key.  Just wrap after bark is complete, pull at 203 and let it rest an hour.  Made it this weekend and it was the best ever.  Phenomenal.  Also love that it doesn't take as long, as most of the cook is at 275.  Easy to keep there with my Traeger.  I put on at 8am and we were eating by 5pm. No more 16 hour cooks. Don't need to do it that long.  Still get a great ring.

• Like 5

On 7/22/2017 at 7:43 PM, ydoc said:

a little late here but have you looked at the pit barrel cooker...

https://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/

cheap, charcoal, super easy...

Thanks @ydoc  Tell me about them?  My main thing I'm looking for is a lower effort cook. On my rig now, I'm tending the fire every 90 minutes which gets old. What kind of maintenance does something like this take during a cook?

19 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Thanks @ydoc  Tell me about them?  My main thing I'm looking for is a lower effort cook. On my rig now, I'm tending the fire every 90 minutes which gets old. What kind of maintenance does something like this take during a cook?

I realize that you're asking ydoc, but the answer is basically "zero", Joe. 

• Like 1

Talking to my kid brother last night.  He reminded me of when we were living together, briefly, in St. Paul.  He was dodging a bookie and needed a place to stay. We were getting ready to watch a playoff NFL game.  I can't remember which one but in those days it would not have been my Packers.  Cold outside and several feet of snow with new snow falling hard.  We decided to grill some chicken.  At the time I had a little Smokey Joe.  We were in a garden level apartment so we popped off a screen, opened the window, set that thing out in the snow, lit it, got it ready, and then once the coals were white all over tossed on our thighs. It was a sweet set up, we could turn the chicken and never set foot outside.  Now it was generating a good bit of smoke, thighs being a bit fatty, but it was the middle of winter and presumably folks had their windows closed.  Regardless the building manager came pounding on our door.  I opened it and she starting yelling about rules violations, grilling too close to the building and what not.  I told her we would not do so again.  Not good enough, she wanted it stopped right now.  I told her the chicken would be done in a few minutes and I would take care of it.  Not good enough, she threatened to go outside and around to our grill and to dump it in the snow.  My brother, upon hearing that looked at her and said "Lady, if you touch that grill I am going to (expletive deleted) kill you."  He was stoned and had the munchies so maybe it was a bit of an overreaction.  He slammed the door on her and we watched to see if she would dump it.  She did not.  I thought the cops would be coming bye to see us but that never happened either.  After that she always turned and walked the other direction when she saw either of us.  A shameful incident all in all. 

Did some drummettes Saturday.  Marinated them in some teriyaki ginger Marinade bought from Albertson's (store brand), about two hours and then grilled them hot, about 15 minutes turning once and hitting them with additional marinade which caramelized.  Very nice.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

Man, I'm getting brisket down.  Using the prime packers from Costco.  Using Franklin Barbecue Manifesto recommendations to a T except that I use rub from Salt Lick vs just salt and pepper.  I'm convinced besides the quality of the meat the butcher paper wrap is the key.  Just wrap after bark is complete, pull at 203 and let it rest an hour.  Made it this weekend and it was the best ever.  Phenomenal.  Also love that it doesn't take as long, as most of the cook is at 275.  Easy to keep there with my Traeger.  I put on at 8am and we were eating by 5pm. No more 16 hour cooks. Don't need to do it that long.  Still get a great ring.

Awesome!  I agree, the butcher paper makes a HUGE difference.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2017 at 8:45 PM, Uruk-Hai said:

Bought a 1/4 of a steer last weekend. Out of that batch, I want to grill one of the sirloins. It's cut 1" thick and is about 8" in diameter. What should my grilling time be per side? 

4 hours ago, TheFanatic said:

This is the probably the biggest mistake people make on the grill. They cook to time, not temp. Never cook to time. Always cook to temp.

TheFanatic is correct. The correct gauge should be temp and not time. That said...I almost always cook by time. So, I guess shame on me but I know my grill well enough and with most cuts of meats I know from experience how much time will put me at the temp I want to achieve. It also obviously depends on how well done you want your steak. Medium rare should be pulled from the grill at 140 degrees and will then raise about another 5 at rest.

Again, you "should" cook to temp but I don't practice what I preach and medium rare for 1" steaks usually correlates to 4-5 minutes per side direct high heat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uruk-Hai said:

I realize that you're asking ydoc, but the answer is basically "zero", Joe. 

Thanks @Uruk-Hai  Can you elaborate? Say for a Boston Butt cook that might be 8-12 hours, what is the process? Mainly I guess I'm asking what kind of attention does it need with adding charcoal / wood etc?  Thanks for the help.

12 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Thanks @Uruk-Hai  Can you elaborate? Say for a Boston Butt cook that might be 8-12 hours, what is the process? Mainly I guess I'm asking what kind of attention does it need with adding charcoal / wood etc?  Thanks for the help.

Joe, I've used mine three times and I employed Pit Barrels' recipes. You light the charcoals and hang/lay in the meat for whatever time they recommend. At the end of that time you take it out and let it rest.

I think the longest one of their recipes (that I've used) called for a 4 or 5 hour cook. The original charcoal held up for that long, but it was starting to whimper out. I'm not sure what you'd have to do for cooking 2-to-3 times that long (or if you even need to with this item). I'd guess you might have to refill with charcoal?

For reference, I did a whole chicken, a full rack of beef ribs, and a brisket. This was last year, though, and my memory is failing me in my advanced age so I can't recall which two I did at the same time. There is a thread here for this and I'm sure I posted my results there.

The only interim maintenance I did was for the ribs and that was to paint them 30 minutes before they were done.

My best advice is to check out the FFA thread on this cooker. There are folks' postings in there that will be much more informative than mine.

eta: this isn't a device to cook a couple of hamburgers on. Hell, I under-used it's capacity when I cooked two of the things I listed above.

Edited by Uruk-Hai
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2016 at 10:00 PM, Hawks64 said:

Posted this over in the just bough a pit barrel smoker thread. Good advice for the new guys here too.

Hi @Hawks64  and everyone else. I see several posts over the course of this thread on the pit barrel smoker. Do we have a separate thread for it? I didn't see it. Thanks.

@Joe 8ryant looks like you are on your way to the info.....pulled pork is about a 6 hour cook... 3 -4 before wrapping to get to pulling temp....i use 205

it cooks hot....but after you put the meat in you don't need to do anything else....unless you want to spritz or paint or wahatever....

i have never had a bad cook...

i have done everything from tri tip to ribs...

On 7/22/2017 at 8:45 PM, Uruk-Hai said:

Bought a 1/4 of a steer last weekend. Out of that batch, I want to grill one of the sirloins. It's cut 1" thick and is about 8" in diameter. What should my grilling time be per side? 

I'd try 3 min per side.   Can always throw it back on if it's not done to your liking and should give you a better idea for the next ones 

On 7/24/2017 at 2:28 PM, Buzzbait said:

TheFanatic is correct. The correct gauge should be temp and not time. That said...I almost always cook by time. So, I guess shame on me but I know my grill well enough and with most cuts of meats I know from experience how much time will put me at the temp I want to achieve. It also obviously depends on how well done you want your steak. Medium rare should be pulled from the grill at 140 degrees and will then raise about another 5 at rest.

Again, you "should" cook to temp but I don't practice what I preach and medium rare for 1" steaks usually correlates to 4-5 minutes per side direct high heat.

Using a thermometer helps you to get there. I never check a slab of ribs to see if it's done with a thermometer. I can just look and know. The thermometer helps you gain that knowledge faster. 

Really having a hard time finding tri-tip around here, local butcher is charging way too much IMO at 14/15 per lb. It's really good but not sure about that price. This weekend beef ribs (short plate ribs) on Sat and hot smoked chickens on Sun. Going to be a good weekend for me!

• Like 1

On 7/23/2017 at 5:55 PM, Cowboysfan8 said:

Always direct. I cook boneless pork chops like I do steak

Only to a little higher temp

IMO, those are prime candidates for reverse sear. Indirect to get some smoke for 20 to 30 minutes, then direct until correct temp to get nice char

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Hawks64 said:

Really having a hard time finding tri-tip around here, local butcher is charging way too much IMO at 14/15 per lb. It's really good but not sure about that price. This weekend beef ribs (short plate ribs) on Sat and hot smoked chickens on Sun. Going to be a good weekend for me!

Where do you live, Tokyo? Usually about $10/pound here. But I've seen it creep up to $12/lb and sometimes even $14. 

34 minutes ago, TheFanatic said:

Where do you live, Tokyo? Usually about $10/pound here. But I've seen it creep up to $12/lb and sometimes even $14. 

10/lb is cool, but the local place has a very bad habit of way over inflating his prices in the summer. Boneless ribeyes are 12.99/lb in March/April but will be 24.99/lb May-Sept

• Like 1

Working on menu for a Fantasy Football Draft Next Saturday. 12 good sized guys. Festivities start poolside around 12 or 1, lighter fare until the draft kicks off around 5 or so. Party should extend WELL into the evening so grazing food will be a good idea. Budget is $250ish. Trying to keep it moderately low maintenance w/r/t cooking onsite. So far we're looking at:

• Two ~12lb Prime Briskets Smoked (Cooked offsite on backwoods and brought in cooler)
• 20lb Chicken Wings (Turkey Fryer onsite, tossed in buddies comp wing sauce) 
• 4 Take & Bake Pizzas from Costco (more for late night chow) 
• Deli meat/bread platter 

• Pasta Salad (Italian style with green olives, sun-dried tomatoes, Red onion, parmesan, seasoning)
• French Fries (standard crinkle cut - baked onsite with Tony C's seasoning)
• Baked Beans (Churched up a bit with pulled pork and a bit of apple pie filling, diced bell pepper and sweet onion and finished on smoker). 

• Grilled Sausage & Cheese plate w/ Rendezvous Rub & Pepperoncini
• Assorted Chips & Dips
• Fresh Watermelon / Grapes / Fruit
• Fresh Veggie Platter 
• Mixing up some of my mustard/tomato/vinegar base comp sauces for the brisket if wanted

Looking for feedback/suggestions/ideas on tweaks or stuff i may be missing. :banned:

Edited by [icon]
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Hawks64 said:

Do you have a Trader Joe's nearby?  They carry Tri-tip for under $10/lb.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, [icon] said:

Working on menu for a Fantasy Football Draft Next Saturday. 12 good sized guys. Festivities start poolside around 12 or 1, lighter fare until the draft kicks off around 5 or so. Party should extend WELL into the evening so grazing food will be a good idea. Budget is $250ish. Trying to keep it moderately low maintenance w/r/t cooking onsite. So far we're looking at:

• Two ~12lb Prime Briskets Smoked (Cooked offsite on backwoods and brought in cooler)

• Pasta Salad (Italian style with green olives, sun-dried tomatoes, Red onion, parmesan, seasoning)
• Baked Beans (Churched up a bit with pulled pork and a bit of apple pie filling, diced bell pepper and sweet onion and finished on smoker). 

• Assorted Chips & Dips
• Fresh Veggie Platter 
• Mixing up some of my mustard/tomato/vinegar base comp sauces for the brisket if wanted

Looking for feedback/suggestions/ideas on tweaks or stuff i may be missing. :banned:

The deli platter seems like overkill unless that's part of the early spread.  

The French fries won't reheat well for grazing so maybe some smoked  potato salad or potatoes Hasselbeck?

For the chip and dip, provel  dip or quality salsa?

Love the pizza idea. Ditto the smoked sausage and cheese.

Mixing up all three sauces for brisket that really doesn't need it seems like overkill  also.

What time does this start again?

24 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

The deli platter seems like overkill unless that's part of the early spread.  
Yeah I was thinking deli platter as something "light" to have out as folks show up. It's very "meat" heavy and it will be hot out, so trying to work out something for that. You may be right. Definitely Open to other ideas here... :unsure:

The French fries won't reheat well for grazing so maybe some smoked  potato salad or potatoes Hasselbeck?
Valid point... but Fries were a request by several of the guys.. They're easy to knock out batches in the oven of frozen fries. I'd like to fry them but not keeping the turkey fryer going all day and don't have access to a basket unit.  Also the mustard/tomato base sauces double as dipping sauces for these (some of the guys love them like that. Nervous about cream-based salads like potato salad with it being very hot out. 

For the chip and dip, provel  dip or quality salsa?
Will get panchos white cheese dip (local stuff of legends), and quality salsa from Costco. :thumbup: Skipping rotel due to mess and heat. 

Love the pizza idea. Ditto the smoked sausage and cheese.
:thumbup: Yeah 11pm drunken pizza seems like a cheap and easy means to keep things rolling. Those Costco pies are not the best in the world, but they're fit for purpose.  Sausage and Cheese platters are somewhat of an art form here in Memphis as it's a signature item on all BBQ place's menu... and Rendezvous is known for theirs. If you've not tried it, their rub is PHENOMENAL for a liberal dusting of the sausage (after cooking up in cast iron skillet) and the cheese. 

Mixing up all three sauces for brisket that really doesn't need it seems like overkill  also.
Good point... I may skip the vinegar, and just go with tomato (brisket, fries, beans, sausage platter) and mustard (Brisket, Fries).  It's not much effort, and the guys demand I make them anytime we smoke pork/brisket. 

What time does this start again?
Noon next Saturday... ironically we are still ISO proxy drafter for a Nashville guy who suddenly "can't make it". :rolleyes:  Same guy was 1.5hours late last year holding up the draft. This is his last strike :lol:

Thanks for the feedback! :thumbup:

Edited by [icon]

2 hours ago, [icon] said:

Baked Beans (Churched up a bit with pulled pork and a bit of apple pie filling, diced bell pepper and sweet onion and finished on smoker). 

• Assorted Chips & Dips
• Fresh Veggie Platter 

May I suggest these beans? They won side dish at MiM three times. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, proninja said:

Timberline 1300 en route :thumbup:

That't looks pretty cool!  I know some of my buddies on here are going to chastise me but i am thinking of pulling the trigger on something similar.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sbonomo said:

That't looks pretty cool!  I know some of my buddies on here are going to chastise me but i am thinking of pulling the trigger on something similar.  

I've got the 850. Really well made cooker. Well designed too. Over engineered. One of the first things that struck me were the grill grates. They were wrapped in plastic and cardboard so I couldn't see what they were made of when I unboxed it. I assumed cast iron from how heavy they were. Nope. Stainless. Stainless that's as heavy or heavier than cast iron. 

I know there are some out there that claim a pellet smoker is cheating. That you have to have charcoal or a stick burner. In all the cook outs I've ever had, I have yet to have a single person say to me, "This is phenomenal BBQ. How much did you have to stand over it mess with the cooker to make this amazing food?"

• Like 4

12 hours ago, sbonomo said:

You'll catch no #### from me. My buddy owns a Traeger Pro 34 and enjoys it. Just upgraded to a backwoods and is selling his Traeger now, but it served him well. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sbonomo said:

Well, if that's your thing.

Personally, it's only real BBQ to me if the wood is hand split Oak that was planted by my great-great grandfather, harvested by me,  and open air seasoned for exactly 8 months.  Each split must weigh between 3-5 pounds and be pre-warmed on the firebox to 180-225 degrees before burning.

Anything else is really just lazy.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

Well, if that's your thing.

Personally, it's only real BBQ to me if the wood is hand split Oak that was planted by my great-great grandfather, harvested by me,  and open air seasoned for exactly 8 months.  Each split must weigh between 3-5 pounds and be pre-warmed on the firebox to 180-225 degrees before burning.

Anything else is really just lazy.

:lmao: