Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread***

bryhamm

2 hours ago, Brony said:

I want it 'done' (off smoker and resting to begin) around noon or 1 tomorrow.  You serious Clark? 

Oh, if you want it done that early, then I would definitely do low and slow the night before. If you did high heat and wanted it done by noon, then you would have to start at like 4 or 5. 

3 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

From your suggestions it sounds like it has to be wrapped in a fatty based thin meat.  Am I correct about that?

Maybe wrap them in sausage stuffing? It would be a lot of work though

2 hours ago, TheFanatic said:

Part of what makes them so good is the balancing the heat of the pepper with the cream cheese and bacon. You need something fatty there to help keep this a well nuanced app. Without it, dull is not the right word. One sided would be more like it. 

ABTs can be made many different ways and while I agree that they are best made with a bacon wrap, it not needed.  I often stuff mine with a combo of

Cream Cheese and

Little Smokie sausages

Pulled Pork

Virginia Baked ham

Pork Belly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

awesome!  

Is Jerk Seasoning something you blend yourself or buy in the store?  I am not sure I have seen that on my spice shelves but I will look closer.

Here are two great Jerk Bases, both actually from Jamaica:

Walkerswood

Busha Browne's

I mix these pastes with some oil and a little bit of yellow mustard and then marinade whole chicken quarters in it. They are virtually indistinguishable from one another.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Buckfast 1 said:

I use this Jamaican jerk seasoning from my local specialty spice shop, which is the best jerk seasoning that I've found.  They use scotch bonnet peppers in their seasoning, which helps impart the authentic heat and flavor of Jamaican jerk.  

On a scale of 1-10 how hot would this be (lets say Tabasco is a 2 or 3).  

4 hours ago, heckmanm said:

We got a Costco flyer in the mail and one of the monthly online specials is $100 off a pack of 4 12-oz imported Wagyu NY strips.  Now only $100 per steak :blink:

I saw that, too. I don't consider myself nearly accomplished enough as a cook to attempt that, though.

2 hours ago, sbonomo said:

On a scale of 1-10 how hot would this be (lets say Tabasco is a 2 or 3).  

The jerk seasoning itself is only moderately spicy, probably in the 5-6 range.  They also make an Extra Hot Jamaican Jerk seasoning, which has a higher concentration of scotch bonnet peppers.  I mainly used the Regular with a few dashes of Extra Hot to keep it palatable for my guests.  My final product was probably in the 7-8 range with the extra scotch bonnet hot sauce and habanero peppers in the sauce.  Enough to give a slight forehead sweat, but not overwhelming painful heat.  

• Like 1

On 7/1/2017 at 8:12 PM, Hawks64 said:

Tri-tip I did today on a whim. Rub was based on this, a bit more paprika (Smoked Spanish) and cayenne.

2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

2 teaspoons garlic powder

1 1/2 teaspoons paprika

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon dried rosemary

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

So I Costco misunderstood me when I asked for beef short plate ribs and don't have them. So calling around I was referred to a butcher I didn't know about. They carry tri-tip for 10/lb so doing this again today instead of the beef ribs.

57 minutes ago, Hawks64 said:

So I Costco misunderstood me when I asked for beef short plate ribs and don't have them. So calling around I was referred to a butcher I didn't know about. They carry tri-tip for 10/lb so doing this again today instead of the beef ribs.

nice.  Did you get much smoke flavor on it smoking it so quickly though?  Im doing a tri tip today.  I usually go hot and fast around 275 but i am going to try low and slow around 225 to see if i can get more smoke on it. 

21 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

nice.  Did you get much smoke flavor on it smoking it so quickly though?  Im doing a tri tip today.  I usually go hot and fast around 275 but i am going to try low and slow around 225 to see if i can get more smoke on it. 

I got plenty of smoke in it for my liking, I prefer the hot smoke for cuts like this and poultry.

19 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

How big is it to start? And what grade?  And what are you cooking it on?

12 er.  Trimmed a little fat off, but not tons.  It's a choice from Costco and I'm cooking on a 18 WSM.  

Started the charcoal around 930; had the brisket on and temperature leveled around 1030 last night.  Just did typical Memphis Dust rub and some salt.  Pecan is the only wood I'm using.  When I first went to sleep, vents were just at a crack and grill temp was 245F.  I didn't set an alarm and slept on couch.  Woke up at 1 and 4 and then for good at 6AM.  Temperature held great with no wind last night.  

Wrapped in butcher paper this morning at 7AM with Meat temp at 160F. 

So far so good.... might not be ready at noon, but should be early afternoon as I wanted. 

It's just heading into the stall at 160.  I typically paper after the stall but the paper may help you to push through. Don't be surprised if it takes a lot longer than you think to go the next 20 degrees.  Just keep pushing through and add more heat if you are close on time. Once you are past 180 it will get to finished much quicker. Start probing it in the flat at about 200 for doneness. I pull when the flat is like butter and the point is almost there.

3 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

It's just heading into the stall at 160.  I typically paper after the stall but the paper may help you to push through. Don't be surprised if it takes a lot longer than you think to go the next 20 degrees.  Just keep pushing through and add more heat if you are close on time. Once you are past 180 it will get to finished much quicker. Start probing it in the flat at about 200 for doneness. I pull when the flat is like butter and the point is almost there.

I'm at 189 F at 9a.  Grill temp is a little higher than I wanted (265), but I've had so many shoulders and briskets just sit at 185 for forever, I'm OK with this.  I'm planning to pull and put in foil/towel/cooler swaddle at 200-203F.  Temp probe is in the flat. 

How do you probe it if it's wrapped in paper??

Just now, Brony said:

I'm at 189 F at 9a.  Grill temp is a little higher than I wanted (265), but I've had so many shoulders and briskets just sit at 185 for forever, I'm OK with this.  I'm planning to pull and put in foil/towel/cooler swaddle at 200-203F.  Temp probe is in the flat. 

How do you probe it if it's wrapped in paper??

Just stick the probe through the paper.  

19 hours ago, RedmondLonghorn said:

Walkerswood

Busha Browne's

I mix these pastes with some oil and a little bit of yellow mustard and then marinade whole chicken quarters in it. They are virtually indistinguishable from one another.

Gonna try one of each. Thanks man. Amazon Prime, FWIW.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sandeman said:

Gonna try one of each. Thanks man. Amazon Prime, FWIW.

I really can't tell the difference between the two. And some regular grocery stores will stock them, not to mention Cost Plus World Market. But if you can wait a day or two, Amazon is a great call.

23 hours ago, RedmondLonghorn said:

Walkerswood

Busha Browne's

I need to try these.  Im a big fan of Grace's  I think someone here may have recommended it. 

7 hours ago, Brony said:

12 er.  Trimmed a little fat off, but not tons.  It's a choice from Costco and I'm cooking on a 18 WSM.  

Started the charcoal around 930; had the brisket on and temperature leveled around 1030 last night.  Just did typical Memphis Dust rub and some salt.  Pecan is the only wood I'm using.  When I first went to sleep, vents were just at a crack and grill temp was 245F.  I didn't set an alarm and slept on couch.  Woke up at 1 and 4 and then for good at 6AM.  Temperature held great with no wind last night.  

Wrapped in butcher paper this morning at 7AM with Meat temp at 160F. 

So far so good.... might not be ready at noon, but should be early afternoon as I wanted. 

That's BBQ. It's ready when it's ready. Good job.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Hawks64 said:

Legit Waygu or the American version?

American.  hehe i wish we could get legit wagyu here.  I didnt know what real wagyu was until i tasted some in Australia.  Stuff is unreal!

Honestly, i probably wouldnt buy this Wagyu again though.  It was good but not that much noticeably better than the prime i normally get. 

BTW your Tri tip looks like it came out great!

Edited by PinkydaPimp
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

4 minutes ago, Hawks64 said:

Legit Waygu or the American version?

American.  hehe i wish we could get legit wagyu here.  I didnt know what real wagyu was until i tasted some in Australia.  Stuff is unreal!

Australia? Wow, I'd love to try some but have not had an opportunity :kicksrock:

Just now, Hawks64 said:

Australia? Wow, I'd love to try some but have not had an opportunity :kicksrock:

The place i went to sources all their own wagyu.  They get certain grades of wagyu that we simply cant get here.  I believe the one i had was A5 which is one of the best you can get.  It was expensive but the meat was literally like butter.  Best steak i have ever had. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

The place i went to sources all their own wagyu.  They get certain grades of wagyu that we simply cant get here.  I believe the one i had was A5 which is one of the best you can get.  It was expensive but the meat was literally like butter.  Best steak i have ever had. 

A5 boneless Rib Roast

Check out the price

• Like 2

pulled my brisket off smoker at internal temp of 202.  3 hour rest and then we sliced that bad boy.  It was great.  Best one I've done yet in terms of tenderness of the flat.  Only flaws were that there wasn't much of a smoke ring and bark was a little underdeveloped.  Minor issues and everyone enjoyed it, no bbq sauce necessary.  

Now that I have 150' feet of butcher paper still left, I guess I have to do this more often now! 

• Like 3

Finally some good weather for these parts. It's gonna be 87 and sunny with the humidity steadily dropping throughout the day. Let's cook.

On tap for today, because it's what was in the freezer, are some country style ribs and a smoked ham. I'll have the WSM fired up by noon. 

• Like 3

As a side I did stuffed portobello mushrooms last weekend

Take off the stems, chop them finely, scrape off the gills, mix with the stems, crumpled smoked feta, EVO and some bread crumbs. fill in the cavities of the shrooms and place on grill until done.

Heaven

Edited by msommer
forgot the olive oil, just a bit to make it more moist
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, In The Zone said:

Finally some good weather for these parts. It's gonna be 87 and sunny with the humidity steadily dropping throughout the day. Let's cook.

On tap for today, because it's what was in the freezer, are some country style ribs and a smoked ham. I'll have the WSM fired up by noon. 

I need to do this.  So how do you typically do a ham? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brony said:

pulled my brisket off smoker at internal temp of 202.  3 hour rest and then we sliced that bad boy.  It was great.  Best one I've done yet in terms of tenderness of the flat.  Only flaws were that there wasn't much of a smoke ring and bark was a little underdeveloped.  Minor issues and everyone enjoyed it, no bbq sauce necessary.  

Now that I have 150' feet of butcher paper still left, I guess I have to do this more often now! 

Awesome!  The smoke ring is overrated and not as indicative of good BBQ as you might think.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_the_smoke_ring.html

Try papering after the stall for better bark development. If it starts building up too much black you can spritz it to slow it down.  I like to use beer, usually an amber or red...nothing too hoppy.

• Like 2

On 7/30/2017 at 10:57 AM, PinkydaPimp said:

I need to do this.  So how do you typically do a ham? 

The ham is already cooked so what I'm gonna do is get my WSM to around 250. If it goes to 275 it's no big deal. I'm using apple wood because that's all I have but any would probably work. I'm putting the ham on straight out of the pack without adding anything. Will probably rinse and pat dry first. I'm just gonna let it go until it hits around 140 degrees internal and then pull it off. Around the 125 mark I'm gonna put some kinda of glaze on it. I haven't concocted that yet. Whatever I have here at the house. Probably some combo of brown sugar, coke, apple juice, honey, and maybe a little bit of bbq rub for good measure. Hopefully this will glaze nicely. I'm waiting until the end so it won't burn. I just want it kinda candied on. After removing it from the smoker I will probably let it rest 10-15 minutes and slice. I did a pre-sliced one from Costco last Christmas and it turned out pretty damn good. 

Edited by In The Zone
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, In The Zone said:

The ham is already cooked so what I'm gonna do is get my WSM to around 250. If it goes to 275 it's no big deal. I'm using apple wood because that's all I have but any would probably work. I'm putting the ham on straight out of the pack without adding anything. Will probably rinse and pat dry first. I'm just gonna let it go until it hits around 40 degrees internal and then pull it off. Around the 25 mark I'm gonna put some kinda of glaze on it. I haven't concocted that yet. Whatever I have here at the house. Probably some combo of brown sugar, coke, apple juice, honey, and maybe a little bit of bbq rub for good measure. Hopefully this will glaze nicely. I'm waiting until the end so it won't burn. I just want it kinda candied on. After removing it from the smoker I will probably let it rest 10-15 minutes and slice. I did a pre-sliced one from Costco last Christmas and it turned out pretty damn good. 

interesting.  Sounds pretty easy.  So does a pre cooked ham take alot of smoke?  Going to have to give this a try now. Share some pics when yours is finished!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PinkydaPimp said:

interesting.  Sounds pretty easy.  So does a pre cooked ham take alot of smoke?  Going to have to give this a try now. Share some pics when yours is finished!

I'll get some :pics:

I pretty much watched this video and went from there.

Malcom Reed Smoked Ham

He has a few smoked ham videos. 

It shouldn't be a long cook. 2 or 3 hours maybe? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, msommer said:

As a side I did stuffed portobello mushrooms last weekend

Take off the stems, chop them finely, scrape off the gills, mix with the stems, crumpled smoked feta and some bread crumbs. fill in the cavities of the shrooms and place on grill until done.

Heaven

Any way to do portobellos without that much cheese? Wife is trying to reduce intake of things like cheese, so any suggestions for healthier fillings?

• Like 1

Just now, Mr. Ected said:

Any way to do portobellos without that much cheese? Wife is trying to reduce intake of things like cheese, so any suggestions for healthier fillings?

Get portobellos with long stems ;)

I used maybe half an ounce of feta for each mushroom (2.5" across)

Maybe a risotto like filling?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mr. Ected said:

Crab

Eta: I can't find the recipe I found  online that I used a month or two ago, but it didn't call for much cheese. A lil parm mixed with the bread crumb topping iirc

Edited by Cowboysfan8