What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Any tips for cooking a very large amount of steak. Doing a large family gathering surf and turf and I got volunteered to do the cooking since I am the only decent cook in family. Lobsters being precooked and delivered from local fish market as I realized I couldn't do all of this.  We have 40 folks down for steak though some are also having lobsters. So about 20 steak only folks. I figured half a pound each so purchased 20 pounds of combo ny strip and ribeye at costco which was on sale and I froze it. Think that is more than enough but wanted others view if doing that much.  Dinner is saturday night so plan to defrost it by putting it in fridge friday evening.

For the cooking it all I have two grills and was going to purchase a lot of lump charcoal. However may just do 1 grill and do in batches of like 5 steaks to 125 internal temp under the hottest fire I can make and then tightly wrap in foil and cooler it. Figure that will get to temp up to 135 or so and stay warm for group eating.  Thinking I need to start throwing steaks on an hour and 15 before we plan to eat.

Would like others view if this all makes sense or any tips as never done this much steak. 

Any tips for cooking a very large amount of steak. Doing a large family gathering surf and turf and I got volunteered to do the cooking since I am the only decent cook in family. Lobsters being precooked and delivered from local fish market as I realized I couldn't do all of this.  We have 40 folks down for steak though some are also having lobsters. So about 20 steak only folks. I figured half a pound each so purchased 20 pounds of combo ny strip and ribeye at costco which was on sale and I froze it. Think that is more than enough but wanted others view if doing that much.  Dinner is saturday night so plan to defrost it by putting it in fridge friday evening.

For the cooking it all I have two grills and was going to purchase a lot of lump charcoal. However may just do 1 grill and do in batches of like 5 steaks to 125 internal temp under the hottest fire I can make and then tightly wrap in foil and cooler it. Figure that will get to temp up to 135 or so and stay warm for group eating.  Thinking I need to start throwing steaks on an hour and 15 before we plan to eat.

Would like others view if this all makes sense or any tips as never done this much steak. 
I did something like this for about 25 once. I had two really crappy cookers. I had one blazing hot and the other I had coals off to the side. I seared on the hot one, then moved to the cool side of the other grill and closed the lid. I started with all those that wanted medium well and higher. While those were baking, I did the mediums. While those baked, the medium rares. And when the rares got done searing I pulled all the steaks and served them. 

Any tips for cooking a very large amount of steak.

What kind of grills are we talking here? Weber Kettles or something like that?

How thick are the steaks? Depending on hold time you may want to "Freshen" them for 20 secs a side over flames right before serving.  If the steaks are thinner, you may want to warm some bricks over coals and line the bottom of the cooler with them acting as a heat-sink (not hot enough to melt the cooler or continue to cook the steaks). 

Last edited by a moderator:
I did something like this for about 25 once. I had two really crappy cookers. I had one blazing hot and the other I had coals off to the side. I seared on the hot one, then moved to the cool side of the other grill and closed the lid. I started with all those that wanted medium well and higher. While those were baking, I did the mediums. While those baked, the medium rares. And when the rares got done searing I pulled all the steaks and served them. 
Thanks. I am going for a bit more shared and plan to just slice up the steak for folks and not doing cook to order. Just too much to keep straight so aiming for a straight medium. Also maybe a rare for me. Anything more well then medium won't be cooked by me. 

What kind of grills are we talking here? Weber Kettles or something like that?

How thick are the steaks? Depending on hold time you may want to "Freshen" them for 20 secs a side over flames right before serving. 
Weber kettles. Like idea of 20 secs. 

Steaks are about inch to 3/4 of inch. Basic standard Costco cut. I didn't go to my butcher to cut to order as was too expensive. I typically like an inch and a quarter when I get them for myself at my butcher. 

Weber kettles. Like idea of 20 secs. 

Steaks are about inch to 3/4 of inch. Basic standard Costco cut. I didn't go to my butcher to cut to order as was too expensive. I typically like an inch and a quarter when I get them for myself at my butcher. 
Gotcha! 

FYI Costco sells uncut ribeyes where you can cut your own to order... I usually do this as I prefer 1.5" or so. That said, Costco standard cut is still much better than the usual grocery store cuts (0.5" it seems). They should be thick enough to hold temp decent if foiled and coolered. A heat sink will help. Finishing for a bit right before serving will help more. Just keep that factored into cook time. :thumbup:

Sounds like you got it!

Gotcha! 

FYI Costco sells uncut ribeyes where you can cut your own to order... I usually do this as I prefer 1.5" or so. That said, Costco standard cut is still much better than the usual grocery store cuts (0.5" it seems). They should be thick enough to hold temp decent if foiled and coolered. A heat sink will help. Finishing for a bit right before serving will help more. Just keep that factored into cook time. :thumbup:

Sounds like you got it!
Costco is actually a very good source for steak. Prefer my butcher but much better than you average grocery store. 

Sous vide. Cook to whatever temperature you want a day ahead of time - say you want 5 medium rare, 5 medium, 5 medium well, just have each spend an hour in the water bath. Put them in the refrigerator overnight. The next day, just pull them out of the refrigerator, get your grill ripping hot, and sear It's the easiest thing ever, and there is *zero* concern anybody's steak is over or under done, and people get steak fresh off the grill rather than out of a cooler. 
Don't have the equipment at my inlaws beach house to do that method. 

Then I would reverse sear. Cook them in a 200 degree oven until they are the temp you want in advance, sear and serve. It requires a tad bit more work because you have to pull at the right temperature, but it'll accomplish much the same thing. 

I'd rather serve steaks straight off the grill than out of a cooler. 
We are talking about 20 steaks here. I don't have the oven or grill capacity to do all at once. Some of them are going to go into the cooler no matter what method. 

Don't have the equipment at my inlaws beach house to do that method. 
I was going to suggest sous vide as well. Cook them at your house, bring the cooked steaks to your in-laws, sear to perfection. Can't get any easier than that. 

Don't have a sous vide? They're inexpensive and it'll be a purchase you won't regret. Everyone will be amazed at how you were able to make so many perfectly cooked steaks in so little time.

I was going to suggest sous vide as well. Cook them at your house, bring the cooked steaks to your in-laws, sear to perfection. Can't get any easier than that. 

Don't have a sous vide? They're inexpensive and it'll be a purchase you won't regret. Everyone will be amazed at how you were able to make so many perfectly cooked steaks in so little time.
I am out here for the week so don't think I am going to buy a second one to keep at in laws beach house. 

I would then batch cook the day before and sear as I have capacity. Searing will take just a few minutes. You can serve hot fresh steaks and be completely unconcerned about getting them done properly when you've got friends around. You'll have everything under control. 
Hot fresh steaks cooked the day before?

My thinking is they all get cooked right before. Last batch is straight to be served.  Earlier batches into cooler to keep warm and then use icons idea to quickly throw on again 

@Redwes25

Here's why I'd cook in advance and sear to serve. 

The fact that you're asking about methods likely means you haven't done this before. If you're trying to cook 20 steaks on a grill you don't usually work with with while drinking with a whole bunch of people around at a party, I don't care how good you normally are, you're pretty much guaranteed to mess something up. If the steaks are already cooked to doneness and all you have to do is sear, not only will you have to spend a lot less time cooking, you only have to worry about one thing. A crust. Everything else is done. And at 3/4 to 1'', the searing process will warm up the interior plenty. 

I'd look to make life as easy on myself as possible and reduce the opportunities I have to screw up if I were doing something I had never done before for a crowd while drinking with a bunch of distractions. 
This, so very much this. 

Yes. I've done this before. It works great. 

But hey, if you think you've got a better method, then you do you, throw them in a cooler, and I wish you the best of luck. 
Thanks. Will think about best way and agree yours is a good idea without equipment to do them sous vide. What temp would you oven cook them to?  Never done this many so thinking of options though I feel very comfortable in front of a grill armed with my thermapen to get them done to right temp. 

Buy a remote probe thermometer and set the alarm on it to whatever you want. When it beeps, you pull them out. This will save you a ton of headache. Cooking for 20 is stressful. 

You feel comfortable with three. You probably won't feel comfortable with 20. 

You'd mentioned cooking them to medium. I'd cook until Thermapen registers 135 and let carryover take it the last five degrees. 
I have done up to 8 or so steaks so tripling my largest cook. Definitely done big groups before. 

Are you sure you have enough steak? For the folks also having the lobster, 8 oz steak is plenty but not sure that will fly for the steak only folks

Are you sure you have enough steak? For the folks also having the lobster, 8 oz steak is plenty but not sure that will fly for the steak only folks
Think ok just from google searches that say typically 1/2 pound per person if main course which it is for some others not really the main course as they will be getting whole lobsters. I would love others thoughts and experiences with this though as could still buy more. 

There will be sides and apps for folks (including an oyster raw bar that will have two folks schucking oysters for an hour and a half pre meal). To be honest I am most excited about that part of the meal. 

Serious question, will one sous vide setup be able to hold temp in a bath big enough for 20 lbs of steak at once? Thats going to be an awfully big water chamber... 

Plus... If the steaks are chilled and reheated via sous-vide... are we sure one setup will be enough to evenly warm 20lbs of meat at once from 40 degrees to "ready to sear" in one hour? 

Looks like an Annova sous vide is good for up to 5 gals of water. Figure you could prob get about 5lbs or steak in a 5 gal bucket before the water/meat ratio became an issue? So would he need 4 Sous Vide setups to do 20lb of steak at once? 

1. Yes. Easily. A medium sized cooker would handle it no problem. 

2. I would sear from cold. The heat from searing will easily warm up the center of a steak shy of an inch thick. 
Are you sure on one? What is an appropriate water to meat ratio with sous vide? I'm seeing a max 5gal container for Annova Sous Vide... in my mind 20lbs of steak would damn near fill a 5gal bucket... no? Definitely over half full. 

How much water is needed to properly circulate and maintain even temps? 

Don't currently have a sous vide setup but am going to take the plunge before too much longer as quality goes up and price comes down. 

Are you sure on one? What is an appropriate water to meat ratio with sous vide? I'm seeing a max 5gal container for Annova Sous Vide... in my mind 20lbs of steak would damn near fill a 5gal bucket... no? Definitely over half full. 
I have a meeting with Anova on Monday. I can ask them. Because I'm with you here. I think there has to be a max amount of meat it can handle and if you add more water, then the heater is going to take a lot longer to get to to temp

I have a meeting with Anova on Monday. I can ask them. Because I'm with you here. I think there has to be a max amount of meat it can handle and if you add more water, then the heater is going to take a lot longer to get to to temp
Yah my ignorant guess would be the higher the meat/water ratio, the longer it takes to get to temp and the greater the likelyhood the temps arent even through the bath. Admittedly that comes from an inexperienced mind so I could be way off. 

Given appropriate equipment, Sous Vide to 130ish, then pulled and seared>served would be awesome. Just not sure how much gear would be required. Absent that I'd be very comfortable cooking to 130-135, foiling individually and placing in improv cambro (cooler with hot bricks/hot water bags) to hold for 30-45 mins while cooking the rest of batches, then finishing 5-6 at a time (20-30sec a side) for fresh/hot char. Would take about 5-7 mins to have them all ready for slicing. 

Either way I'm sure you'll do fine! Have fun! 

If you're trying to cook 20 steaks on a grill you don't usually work with with while drinking with a whole bunch of people around at a party, I don't care how good you normally are, you're pretty much guaranteed to mess something up.
This part can't be understated. I might think about attempting something like this all on the grill, but factoring in a day of drinking and socializing... no way. I'm bound to mess things up.

But I live in WI so it might be different where you are. I'm expecting my wife's 100yr old grandma to be drunk by 3pm on Saturday. It's just what we do up here.

This part can't be understated. I might think about attempting something like this all on the grill, but factoring in a day of drinking and socializing... no way. I'm bound to mess things up.

But I live in WI so it might be different where you are. I'm expecting my wife's 100yr old grandma to be drunk by 3pm on Saturday. It's just what we do up here.
This. I did it for 20 or so once and it was nerve wracking. Seemed easy when I started. What I do all the time, times 6. I didn't relax until after dinner that night. 

For those who are curious about update on the Draft cookout this weekend: 

Decided just to smoke through the night rather than gamble on a quick cook, or a partial/recook. 

FRI: Hitting buddy's house with 2 other guys around 3pm. Throwing on 4 Slabs STL ribs, a 4 Bone Beef Short Rib section, and a 8lb Pork Butt on the smoker (250-275). Half pan of Bush's homestyle beans (apple pie filling, sauteed Vidalia onion & green bell pepper, dry rub +pulled pork later) going under the butt for drippings for an hour or so. Ribs for dinner that night, Butt & beans for draft tomorrow.  

Around 10 we'll be throwing on the two briskets and bringing temps down to 225-250 range. Expecting Briskets to wrap in butcher paper around 5 am or so, and finish around 10am-ish. Cooler and rest till 3 or 4pm slicing/service.

For those who are curious about update on the Draft cookout this weekend: 

Decided just to smoke through the night rather than gamble on a quick cook, or a partial/recook. 

FRI: Hitting buddy's house with 2 other guys around 3pm. Throwing on 4 Slabs STL ribs, a 4 Bone Beef Short Rib section, and a 8lb Pork Butt on the smoker (250-275). Half pan of Bush's homestyle beans (apple pie filling, sauteed Vidalia onion & green bell pepper, dry rub +pulled pork later) going under the butt for drippings for an hour or so. Ribs for dinner that night, Butt & beans for draft tomorrow.  

Around 10 we'll be throwing on the two briskets and bringing temps down to 225-250 range. Expecting Briskets to wrap in butcher paper around 5 am or so, and finish around 10am-ish. Cooler and rest till 3 or 4pm slicing/service.
Epic!

Burn ban here due to sub-Beijing air quality. Smoke from Canadian wildfires has engulfed the state.

No charcoal grills or wood smokers may be used at this time. :kicksrock:

Fine for violation: $1,000. :eek:

Burn ban here due to sub-Beijing air quality. Smoke from Canadian wildfires has engulfed the state.

No charcoal grills or wood smokers may be used at this time. :kicksrock:

Fine for violation: $1,000. :eek:
That's the perfect time for a gas grill. Not quite the same as charcoal or wood smokers, but it will get you your fix in times like that. 

10gal with my Joule. 

Everything needs to be submerged, and water needs to circulate well enough to keep the entire thing an even temperature. I've had a 2.5gal container packed full with 10 steaks and have been nervous about circulation, but regular checking with my thermapen showed the entire thing was right on. 

Buy a joule white. more capacity, smaller, more powerful. Makes it easier/faster to cook with and easier to store. When you're ready to go I have a $20 off discount code I can send you. 
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback and the offer. Like i said, I'm n00bVide so I defer to your knowledge on this stuff. Sounds like tech is coming along nicely! Christmas, I think. 

What's the consensus of internal temp to cook bone-in/skin-on chicken thighs on the grill?  I saw something (via doing a search in Google) that said 165 degrees.  I cooked some to that temp and they were (to me) overdone.

That's the perfect time for a gas grill. Not quite the same as charcoal or wood smokers, but it will get you your fix in times like that. 
Yeah. My gas grill as sitting on the deck of the house we are remodeling though. We are in a rental while the remodel is completed.

We were supposed to be here 6-8 weeks. We are going on 4 months.  :rant:

Yeah. My gas grill as sitting on the deck of the house we are remodeling though. We are in a rental while the remodel is completed.

We were supposed to be here 6-8 weeks. We are going on 4 months.  :rant:
HAHAHAHA! I can relate brother. I did a reno at my old place WHILE living in it. Gutted the upstairs including the kitchen. Supposed to be 6 weeks too. We started in August. We finished December 23rd. My kids were all upset that there were no Christmas decorations. On the 23rd, I put up a prelit Christmas tree. No ornaments. Just the tree so my kids would stop asking, "Will Santa know to come to our house without a tree?" Took that tree down on December 26th. Best Christmas ever!

What's the consensus of internal temp to cook bone-in/skin-on chicken thighs on the grill?  I saw something (via doing a search in Google) that said 165 degrees.  I cooked some to that temp and they were (to me) overdone.
IMO I cook them until they firm up and I see clear juice. I don't probe them. Possibly undercooked to some, but I've never gotten anyone sick and I cook a LOT of thighs. 

Trick for thighs, for me... is wrapping the meat round the bone and using a round toothpick to pin through the skin/meat behind the bone.. creating somewhat like a drumstick without a handle. Keeps skin taut, gives the cut some structure, cooks more consistently, and creates a great meat-sicle.

Grill indirect skin up for a while until almost done, then finish skin down direct to crisp it.... finish with sauce either off the grill, or indirect (if need sauce to set). 

I usually cook to 160. I pull from the grill and let them carry the rest of the way toward 165. 

TheFanatic said:
HAHAHAHA! I can relate brother. I did a reno at my old place WHILE living in it. Gutted the upstairs including the kitchen. Supposed to be 6 weeks too. We started in August. We finished December 23rd. My kids were all upset that there were no Christmas decorations. On the 23rd, I put up a prelit Christmas tree. No ornaments. Just the tree so my kids would stop asking, "Will Santa know to come to our house without a tree?" Took that tree down on December 26th. Best Christmas ever!
you guys are making me nervous now.  Im mid bathroom reno.  things going smooth but now im nervous.

No grilling for me this weekend. Had to be at work 2 hours away at 6:00 today so I had to check into a hotel last night. I DID have an absolutely amazeballs steak last night at a place in Columbia Mo called CC's City Broiler. Still, I didn't get to cook it myself. Any of you (other than that feast In the Zone did) grill anything? I need to live vicariously through you guys this weekend (and probably next)

No grilling for me this weekend. Had to be at work 2 hours away at 6:00 today so I had to check into a hotel last night. I DID have an absolutely amazeballs steak last night at a place in Columbia Mo called CC's City Broiler. Still, I didn't get to cook it myself. Any of you (other than that feast In the Zone did) grill anything? I need to live vicariously through you guys this weekend (and probably next)
Tomahawk ribeye and shrimp on the WSM, the same way I cook my tri-tip. Full charcoal load, roughly 375-425 temp on the top grate. It was much better than on the Weber Summit. Chicken, corn and baked potato from the Summit though. Today is homemade Chicago Deep Dish, it was supposed be in the mid 60s today, but it's close to 80. House is hot as balls now.

Tomahawk ribeye and shrimp on the WSM, the same way I cook my tri-tip. Full charcoal load, roughly 375-425 temp on the top grate. It was much better than on the Weber Summit. Chicken, corn and baked potato from the Summit though. Today is homemade Chicago Deep Dish, it was supposed be in the mid 60s today, but it's close to 80. House is hot as balls now.
Do you leave the water bowl in or take it out when you do this?

I may have to try this. I have 2 prime filets from Costco I plan on cooking for my birthday coming up. Is it hard to get a good sear using the top grate? 

I'll have to decide what to pair the steaks with.  I have some scallops, peeled and deveined shrimp ,  or salmon.  I may do a combo of all 3. 

I may have to try this. I have 2 prime filets from Costco I plan on cooking for my birthday coming up. Is it hard to get a good sear using the top grate? 

I'll have to decide what to pair the steaks with.  I have some scallops, peeled and deveined shrimp ,  or salmon.  I may do a combo of all 3. 
Well this thing was 2-2.5" thick so I seared on the gas grill after it was at 100-105. Was perfect IMO.

So steak dinner went great.  I decided to go against the pre-cooking reverse sear idea as I felt more comfortable in front of the grill and did not want to try something new in addition to cooking steak for 40 people.  Pulled the steaks at between 125 and 130.  I put all but the last batch wrapped in foil in the cooler to keep warm and get to desired temp.  Then did a quick 20 second touch up per side on the foiled steaks.  None of the steaks were foiled for more than an hour at most.  My wife's uncle lent a hand so wasn't all on my own.  Steaks come out great all done medium to medium rare.  I did keep the drinking slow until after the steaks were done.  

Users who are viewing this thread