What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (2 Viewers)

Question.  Whats the best way to warm up a tri-tip?  Have one left over from a bbq this weekend and want to reheat it tonight. 

Thanks.

Weekend cookout draft went well... some pics: 

Our private barrel pick of Eagle Rare for 155th Airlift Squadron came in so popped one while prepping the meat. 

Bush's Homestyle beans churched up with apple pie filling, sauteed onion & bell pepper, dry rub, thin ribbons of brisket fat trimmings, and beef/pork drippings. Added a bitof pulled pork later. Huge huge hit. 

Beef Ribs and shoulder on the smoker.... Beans under them collecting some drippings. 

Beef ribs finished. They were fantastic snacks the night before the draft. A touch tough (came off a HAIR early IMO, it was late) but still damn good. Stellar flavor. 

Finished Brisket shot #1 and Finished Brisket shot #2. It was among the best I've had. Very moist & Tender. Great bark and smoke ring. Butcher paper is indeed the way to go.

For rub i went with 50% Montreal Steak Seasoning and 50% coarse ground Tellicherry black pepper.  The hit of garlic red pepper was a welcome accent to the salt/pepper base rub. They finished and were toweled/coolered still in butcher paper around 10am and sliced at 3pm. Was still plenty hot and incredibly tender. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Our private barrel pick of Eagle Rare for 155th Airlift Squadron came in so popped one while prepping the meat. 

Bush's Homestyle beans churched up with apple pie filling, sauteed onion & bell pepper, dry rub, thin ribbons of brisket fat trimmings, and beef/pork drippings. Added a bitof pulled pork later. Huge huge hit. 

Beef Ribs and shoulder on the smoker.... Beans under them collecting some drippings. 

Beef ribs finished. They were fantastic snacks the night before the draft. A touch tough (came off a HAIR early IMO, it was late) but still damn good. Stellar flavor. 

Finished Brisket shot #1 and Finished Brisket shot #2. It was among the best I've had. Very moist & Tender. Great bark and smoke ring. Butcher paper is indeed the way to go.

For rub i went with 50% Montreal Steak Seasoning and 50% coarse ground Tellicherry black pepper.  The hit of garlic red pepper was a welcome accent to the salt/pepper base rub. They finished and were toweled/coolered still in butcher paper around 10am and sliced at 3pm. Was still plenty hot and incredibly tender. :thumbup:
:drool:

Holy Cow!   Forget about the meat for a minuet - those freakin' beans!   :tebow:

Holy Cow!   Forget about the meat for a minuet - those freakin' beans!   :tebow:
Serious question:  would these beans be even mediocre without the fat and drippings from the meat?

Our host this year host will be smoking and I am thinking now that these would be a solid side contribution.   May be able to piggy back off his brisket and pork shoulder he is making....maybe throw in some sliced jalepenios for kick?

Lookin good.  Nice job slicing the brisket as well.  Looks perfect pencil width. Did you spritz?  The glisten on the bark seems to say yes?

So I am back researching grills.  I sold the gas grill, good freakin' riddance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am now looking at these Traegers again.  I'm trying to understand what the price points get me.  I get this Timberline one and all the "stuff" it provides.  Not sure I need it for that price.  I am trying to figure out the difference(s) between the $999 one and the $899 one.  One looks to have a larger cooking area, but both seem to have the same BTU output, so why would I take the more expensive if it only gets as hot as the $899 one but has more space to heat?  That seems like a weakening of the system.  What am I missing?  TIA.

:cry: :cry: at not being able to open drop box links at work :wall:  

Lookin good.  Nice job slicing the brisket as well.  Looks perfect pencil width. Did you spritz?  The glisten on the bark seems to say yes?
Sorry just saw this. Yeah a couple hits with cider before wrapping. Nothing crazy though. Shocked at the difference butcher paper made. Buddy and I will likely never cook a brisket another way. :thumbup:

[icon] said:
They're also on the Saucepects instagram page if you wanted to check. :thumbup:  Curious for your opinion when you do get around to peeking. 
Saw them. Just awesome. Your photography skills are great

The Commish said:
So I am back researching grills.  I sold the gas grill, good freakin' riddance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am now looking at these Traegers again.  I'm trying to understand what the price points get me.  I get this Timberline one and all the "stuff" it provides.  Not sure I need it for that price.  I am trying to figure out the difference(s) between the $999 one and the $899 one.  One looks to have a larger cooking area, but both seem to have the same BTU output, so why would I take the more expensive if it only gets as hot as the $899 one but has more space to heat?  That seems like a weakening of the system.  What am I missing?  TIA.
Looks like the $100 buys you a hopper that you can empty, a couple built in probes and an extra grill rack for more cooking surface.  Does that sound right?

I've been looking for a new smoker to replace my Brinkmann propane version. She served me well for several years but I wanted to move to charcoal. I've been scouring auction sites and Craigslist ads for several months and finally found a WSM 22.5" for $250 NIB that also included a cover.  :thumbup:

Pretty stoked and I'll be christening this weekend with some ribs!

Fan #######g-tastic!  :excited:

Everything looks great but a special call out for the brisket! It looks absolutely perfect. Also a little jealous of the Eagle Rare private barrel.  :banned:

Edit: Why is "frick-ing" not allowed? :confused:

Looks awesome. How long did you have the beef ribs on?  Never done beef ribs but feel like I have pork ribs down to a science at this point. 

How does the Weber briquettes stack up with the KB? I was in Target today and they are running a clearance on the WB. A 20lb bag is normally $20 and it's now $6.
Buy 6 of them. Tell her it's like Clinique Days for guys.

Saw them. Just awesome. Your photography skills are great
Thanks for the kind words! Means a lot coming from you, GB. :thumbup:

Fan #######g-tastic!  :excited:

Everything looks great but a special call out for the brisket! It looks absolutely perfect. Also a little jealous of the Eagle Rare private barrel.  :banned:

Edit: Why is "frick-ing" not allowed? :confused:
Thanks man! The brisket and beef ribs were the highlight for me, for sure. 

Looks awesome. How long did you have the beef ribs on?  Never done beef ribs but feel like I have pork ribs down to a science at this point. 
Beef ribs went on around 5ish and came off a bit after 11.. no wrapping so I'm guessing around 6-6.5hrs. Could have stayed on just a bit longer and next time I'll paper wrap them.... but they were extraordinarily tasty. 

Thanks for the kind words! Means a lot coming from you, GB. :thumbup:

Thanks man! The brisket and beef ribs were the highlight for me, for sure. 

Beef ribs went on around 5ish and came off a bit after 11.. no wrapping so I'm guessing around 6-6.5hrs. Could have stayed on just a bit longer and next time I'll paper wrap them.... but they were extraordinarily tasty. 
Do you cook them to a specific temp?  How do you tell if they are done?  What temp was the smoker? 

The pro (100 more) has a better base and a better controller with two temperature probes. 

The temp probes alone make it a no brainer. Well worth a hundred bucks. I sell these at work and don't even stock the cheaper version. 

You're in the Seattle area, right? I've got a pro 34 in stock I'll make you a great deal on if you want. 
I wish....I don't think I could be further away from you and still be in the continental US.  I'm in central Florida now, just recently moved from South Carolina.  So I guess that settles it.  I don't think I'd ever use the features of the $1700 one and the $899 one is out.....$999 it is.   Now I just need to find one near me.  That seems like it might be a challenge.  Need to look.

I've been looking for a new smoker to replace my Brinkmann propane version. She served me well for several years but I wanted to move to charcoal. I've been scouring auction sites and Craigslist ads for several months and finally found a WSM 22.5" for $250 NIB that also included a cover.  :thumbup:

Pretty stoked and I'll be christening this weekend with some ribs!
Doing my first smoke right now with ribs and I have a few questions for the WSM owners. Initially I had an issue getting it over 200 degrees but it's now it to 230 but I'm running with vents wide open and wondering what to do when I'm cooking something else and want it to run hotter.

• How much charcoal. I have the large Weber charcoal chimney and filled it to the top. After dumping into the WSM it didn't seem like much so I added a little more. This thing is pretty big so I'm curious how filled your charcoal ring is for both a short rib cook (6 hours) as well as a longer cook for say brisket.
  • Directions say to fill H2O bowl to within a 1/2" to top of bowl. Wondering if that's too much and a reason for the 230 top off.
  • The door lets out some heat. Nothing major but I'm wondering if some of you have bought the gasket kit and if so if you think it was worth it.
  • Two large racks of ribs both put on top. You guys also put both on top or one on each rack? I would think two on top would be optimal.
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions!

Doing my first smoke right now with ribs and I have a few questions for the WSM owners. Initially I had an issue getting it over 200 degrees but it's now it to 230 but I'm running with vents wide open and wondering what to do when I'm cooking something else and want it to run hotter.

• How much charcoal. I have the large Weber charcoal chimney and filled it to the top. After dumping into the WSM it didn't seem like much so I added a little more. This thing is pretty big so I'm curious how filled your charcoal ring is for both a short rib cook (6 hours) as well as a longer cook for say brisket.
  • Directions say to fill H2O bowl to within a 1/2" to top of bowl. Wondering if that's too much and a reason for the 230 top off.
  • The door lets out some heat. Nothing major but I'm wondering if some of you have bought the gasket kit and if so if you think it was worth it.
  • Two large racks of ribs both put on top. You guys also put both on top or one on each rack? I would think two on top would be optimal.
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions!
1.  I fill my charcoal bowl to the top with charcoal.  Then, for low and slow smoke i use the minion method and take about 16 birquettes and put them into the chimney then once lit put them onto the pile.  If i need a hotter temp i may use half a chimney or more.  If you are using water in the water bowl it will be more difficult to get the temps up.

ETA:  whatever leftover charcoal there is dont throw it away.  Just reuse it for the next smoke and add new charcoal over it. 

2.  I dont use water in my water bowl.  I wrap it with foil.  Uses less energy so i can get hotter temps if need be.  Also easier to clean up.  Plus water doesnt make much of a different bbq wise.  This is probably the reason your temp was low. 

3.  I havent modded the door.  some do.  But while some smoke gets out there its never been an issue for me.

4.  if i can fit on one rack i use one rack.  Mostly because i monitor temp at the grate level so that helps me to be certain what the temp is.  Never trust the temp on the lid of the smoker.  Get your own thermometer. 

btw check this site.  Has a lot of good info regarding the WSM.  http://virtualweberbullet.com/

I always put water in the wsm bowl and can easily get 250 to 300 with vents not all the way open. Water is not the reason you are maxing at 230. 

I've sometimes struggled to get Temps going if I didn't add enough fully lit coals. 

1.  I fill my charcoal bowl to the top with charcoal.  Then, for low and slow smoke i use the minion method and take about 16 birquettes and put them into the chimney then once lit put them onto the pile.  If i need a hotter temp i may use half a chimney or more.  If you are using water in the water bowl it will be more difficult to get the temps up.

ETA:  whatever leftover charcoal there is dont throw it away.  Just reuse it for the next smoke and add new charcoal over it. 

2.  I dont use water in my water bowl.  I wrap it with foil.  Uses less energy so i can get hotter temps if need be.  Also easier to clean up.  Plus water doesnt make much of a different bbq wise.  This is probably the reason your temp was low. 

3.  I havent modded the door.  some do.  But while some smoke gets out there its never been an issue for me.

4.  if i can fit on one rack i use one rack.  Mostly because i monitor temp at the grate level so that helps me to be certain what the temp is.  Never trust the temp on the lid of the smoker.  Get your own thermometer. 

btw check this site.  Has a lot of good info regarding the WSM.  http://virtualweberbullet.com/
Pretty much this.  I started out filling  my water pan and had trouble at times keeping my Temps up, especially in winter months.  I started using a teracota pot dish triple wrapped in foil.  Makes for easier cleanup. 

I always put water in the wsm bowl and can easily get 250 to 300 with vents not all the way open. Water is not the reason you are maxing at 230. 

I've sometimes struggled to get Temps going if I didn't add enough fully lit coals. 
How much water?

I'm thinking the issue is trifold. Too much water, not enough coals & maybe also new smoker & no build up on the inside (I've read new ones run a little cool until they get some buildup). 

How much water?

I'm thinking the issue is trifold. Too much water, not enough coals & maybe also new smoker & no build up on the inside (I've read new ones run a little cool until they get some buildup). 
Very imperfect methods for me... I fill it with a ~1 gallon watering can. Fills it half to 3/4 fill. Always have water still in there after 4 to 10 hours. 

:goodposting: I use a full water bowl for low and slow, helps to stabilize the temp like a heat sink.

1. That's my main problem. I was no where close to filling up the entire ring. I filled up the chimney starter, dumped the coals in and thought "No way that's enough" and then put a few more on top. Next time I'll fill the while ring and just reuse what's left on the next smoke.

4. I have a Maverick thermometer but was so eager to use the WSM I started the smoke without snaking the Maverick line in through the rubber seal. After realizing I didn't want to mess with taking the lid off and removing the ribs to put it in.

Thanks for the feedback...appreciated. 

Smoked a brisket this weekend.  Took the advice from here.  Came out nice.  Whether better than I had been doing who knows, but probably.  Sort of subjective.

I cubed up half of it and used it to make chili, something I have always wondered about.  At least what I call chili, I know there are purists who would hate that I use beans, mushrooms, and pearl onions in mine.  As an experiment it came out quite nice.  I will probably go back to my go to recipe using ground elk mixed with chorizo, but it was nice, smoky, delicious really.  I'm thinking next time I may use some in a mole` sauce and see how I like that.  Food is getting boring for me so a change of pace is a good thing.  I am going to need to get an elk and an antelope again this fall to keep my chili game where I like it. 

Looking forward to the running of the Kokanee this fall. Not too long away now.  I always like smoking some of that up.  I usually do two runs, one with a bit of pecan and apple wood and another with hickory and a bit of mesquite.  Vacuum packed and frozen it keeps for a good six months.  A nice appetizer during playoff season.

Megla said:
Forget water, use playground sand, cover in foil, never have a temp issue or a clean up issue again.
What's the order of material here?  You foil the bowl, dump in the sand?  I've just foiled the bowl before, but it inevitably gets under the foil and makes clean up even messier than just water in the bowl.  

Fill bowl 3/4 with sand, cover entire bowl twice with foil, then cover top with two coats of foil, cook, when needed remove top layer of foil and replace
Interesting....so it's just the flat top?  The fat and grease don't run down the sides?  I'm up for any suggestions at this point.

The whole charcoal process has annoyed me for years so I recently replaced my charcoal grill with a 2 burner Weber. Now all I want is my charcoal back. What have I done?!?

The whole charcoal process has annoyed me for years so I recently replaced my charcoal grill with a 2 burner Weber. Now all I want is my charcoal back. What have I done?!?
I like having both. For grilling I use the Weber E-330 Genesis and for smoking I now have the WSM. Nothing wrong with having propane as an option but having ONLY propane  :no:

I like having both. For grilling I use the Weber E-330 Genesis and for smoking I now have the WSM. Nothing wrong with having propane as an option but having ONLY propane  :no:
:goodposting:

This is my combo too... S-330 Genesis + WSM. Great combo for a backyard IMO. 

WSM can be easily broken down to a Weber Kettle Grill with lid in about 9.58 seconds if you want to grill over coals. 

Interesting....so it's just the flat top?  The fat and grease don't run down the sides?  I'm up for any suggestions at this point.
I've been doing the sand with foil method for over a year now (probably off a @Megla recommendation) and haven't ever had any grease get into the sand. Cleanup is easier than ever. Carrying that sand filled base though... that's another story. 

I've been doing the sand with foil method for over a year now (probably off a @Megla recommendation) and haven't ever had any grease get into the sand. Cleanup is easier than ever. Carrying that sand filled base though... that's another story
Definitely going to give it a try.  I need to clean this damn thing though.  It's not been used in months and we just moved to Florida where it's been sitting out in the rain.  I am dreading what is ahead of me.

Definitely going to give it a try.  I need to clean this damn thing though.  It's not been used in months and we just moved to Florida where it's been sitting out in the rain.  I am dreading what is ahead of me.
Just take it to a power car wash and spend 3 o 4 bucks blasting it.

yes, flat top, yes some will run down the sides but its still foil and if that's an issue then you can remove it and replace it, that's still easier than cleaning the bowl when using water.

Users who are viewing this thread