What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (2 Viewers)

No idea why I bother to ask my daughters what they want me to make -- smoked (Walkerswood) jerk wings is the answer I get... Every. Single. Time. LOL.

Also have a dozen organic natural casing garlic dogs from my local guy along with s'mores over the fire pit later, and beer. Lots of beer. Happy fall boys'

Last edited by a moderator:
Wound up doing leg quarters and ribs for a photo shoot for a client. Wasn't planning on doing anything, honestly, but 6 slabs and 9 leg quarters (and 2,000 pics) later, here we are.

My lawn guy came to aerate my yard just as we were doing the last round of shots. He left with a VERY hefty bag of eats!

Here is a newbie question but hoping someone will indulge me.  I smoked a 7lb pork shoulder on my weber kettle that was fantastic.  My son has requested I duplicate this for his 18th birthday.  We are going to have a decent crowd so I will need more meat.  I can get a 15lb shoulder at Costco but am worried that will take a very long time to cook.

Would the 15lb take roughly twice as long to cook as a 7lb?  I know to cook to temp and not time but looking for a rough estimate

Am I better off getting 2 smaller cuts and smoking them.  When you add more meat to the smoker does that significantly change the cooking times?

I know this is a very forgiving cut of meat but want to avoid starting the grill at 4 in the morning or having people waiting as the meat is not done. 

TIA for any and all advice.  :thumbup:

Here is a newbie question but hoping someone will indulge me.  I smoked a 7lb pork shoulder on my weber kettle that was fantastic.  My son has requested I duplicate this for his 18th birthday.  We are going to have a decent crowd so I will need more meat.  I can get a 15lb shoulder at Costco but am worried that will take a very long time to cook.

Would the 15lb take roughly twice as long to cook as a 7lb?  I know to cook to temp and not time but looking for a rough estimate

Am I better off getting 2 smaller cuts and smoking them.  When you add more meat to the smoker does that significantly change the cooking times?

I know this is a very forgiving cut of meat but want to avoid starting the grill at 4 in the morning or having people waiting as the meat is not done. 

So the one at Costco is boneless and is actually two pieces. So you will have two 7-9lbers to smoke. Should take the same amount of time roughly provided you can keep the temp up.

So the one at Costco is boneless and is actually two pieces. So you will have two 7-9lbers to smoke. Should take the same amount of time roughly provided you can keep the temp up.
That makes a lot more sense as I was trying to figure out how they would get a 15 lb shoulder. 

I just did a 6 lber Costco pork shoulder on Saturday.  On the smoker at 6AM. Smoker temp probably averaged 230 all day.  The meat temp was at 170 at 4PM so I had to cheat and finish in the oven since we had guests at 6PM.  So I should have started at 4AM or kept temp higher.  

I just did a 6 lber Costco pork shoulder on Saturday.  On the smoker at 6AM. Smoker temp probably averaged 230 all day.  The meat temp was at 170 at 4PM so I had to cheat and finish in the oven since we had guests at 6PM.  So I should have started at 4AM or kept temp higher.  
I started mine at 8AM at 225 and then kicked it up to 250 around noon as it was going slow.  I foiled for the last 90 minutes and had it off the grill by 4:30 with internal temp of 195 and the bone nice and loose. 

Why would you do that to yourself. Start that bad boy at 9:00 am at 225 and then kick it to 300 a 11:00 am. You'll be done way before your guests come. 

Why would you do that to yourself. Start that bad boy at 9:00 am at 225 and then kick it to 300 a 11:00 am. You'll be done way before your guests come. 
Well, I did get the temp to 300F in my kitchen ;-) 

Ever since I started ignoring the WSM stock thermometer and focusing on grill surface temp, my cooks have been running much cooler and longer compared to what I was doing last year (e.g last year if I thought I was at 220 based on the WSM thermometer, I was probably running at 250 or 260).  I'm much better at controlling the temp now, but it's thrown off my rules of thumb about what time I start pork shoulder, brisket etc.  

Anyone buy the 3 pack baby backs from Costco?  Is the membrane already pulled?  If so, I spent way more time than I want to admit trying to pull something off that wasn't there.  If they're not already pulled, then I'm no longer a believer in the myth that they need to be.

Anyone buy the 3 pack baby backs from Costco?  Is the membrane already pulled?  If so, I spent way more time than I want to admit trying to pull something off that wasn't there.  If they're not already pulled, then I'm no longer a believer in the myth that they need to be.
I've never had to pull membrane from any Costco BBR. I have done it from grocery store ribs and yes it is a pita 

TheFanatic said:
I get email updates from Thermoworks and there was an article today about high temp pulled pork.  TL;DR version is high temp cook (300F) gives more pronounced bark and slightly less tender than 225 cook.  For backyard parties, they advocate 300F, but for competition go with slow and low. 

I bought them for last weekend and I also spent way to much time trying to pull it but after successfully pulling half a membrane on one ribs it was pretty clear they were already pulled and they messed up on on one of the ribs.    

Usually no membrane on these, but sometimes there's a little there to pull off. I don't worry about it much. Sometimes you can pull it off mid-cook.

Been there, done that. I was almost to the point of mutilation on one rack when I figured it out. 

I was kind of disappointed because I like pulling off the membrane. 

Yeah, any time I have to do a mountain of ribs, I'll specifically go to costco for this reason. If I'm doing a slab or two, I go with the cheapest. Skinning a couple slabs is no big deal. Skinning 15 slabs sucks. 

imagine this grillin and smokin guys what if you were a beekeeper and you had on your full beekeeper outfit and also the smoke maker can thing in your hand and you were smoking a nice piece of pork basically you would be a smokin smoker and that my friends is the bees knees take that to the bank brochachos 

Just sent out the evite for the 24th. Every year, around the start of the NFL season, I invite a bunch of buddies over. I tell them to bring $20 and whatever beer they want to drink. Dad and I cook our tails off and serve many courses. Last year we had 3 slabs of ribs, 3 dozen chicken wings, an aluminum pan of burnt ends, some other course I can't remember and an entire beef tenderloin. No veggies, no sides, just meat, meat and more meat. At the end of the day there were a couple slices of beef tenderloin left. 

So this year, I might break with tradition and do a side. I have a pan of my patented baked beans in the freezer (the trick is a lb of brown sugar and a lb of brisket). These things are epic!

I also have a pan of pork belly burnt ends.

So that's two courses. 

I need a couple other courses. 

I'm kicking around the idea of a brisket flat. Maybe ribs again. Maybe tri tips. Dunno. 

Just sent out the evite for the 24th. Every year, around the start of the NFL season, I invite a bunch of buddies over. I tell them to bring $20 and whatever beer they want to drink. Dad and I cook our tails off and serve many courses. Last year we had 3 slabs of ribs, 3 dozen chicken wings, an aluminum pan of burnt ends, some other course I can't remember and an entire beef tenderloin. No veggies, no sides, just meat, meat and more meat. At the end of the day there were a couple slices of beef tenderloin left. 

So this year, I might break with tradition and do a side. I have a pan of my patented baked beans in the freezer (the trick is a lb of brown sugar and a lb of brisket). These things are epic!

So that's two courses. 

I'm kicking around the idea of a brisket flat. Maybe ribs again. Maybe tri tips. Dunno. 
Always a fan of tacos for drafts / parties, etc. Smoked chuck roast for barbacoa, butterflied and marinated pork loin for adobado or al pastor, etc.

So that's two courses. 

What time? 

So that's two courses. 

Can't go wrong with ribs. Some stuffed jalapeño peppers would work as well. 

Anyone have a good coleslaw recipe?
I have a pretty great one that is more vinegary, not creamy at all, but gets rave reviews:

Ingredients

SLAW MIX

2 bags Coleslaw mix; Just veggies (not creamy)

1 large sweet vidalia onion; (or 1 medium), diced

1 red bell pepper; diced

VINAIGRETTE

1 cup apple cider vinegar

1 cup white sugar

2 tablespoons canola oil

3 tablespoons dry yellow mustard

1 tablespoon celery seed

salt; to taste

fresh ground pepper; to taste

Preparation

Combine the slaw veggies in a large bowl. Set aside.

Mix all vinaigrette ingredients together in a bowl. Pour over veggie mix.

Stir well and chill. Serve cold. Works great as a side or on pulled pork sandwiches. Our family really likes it with the sweet and tangy BBQ sauce I have listed, as well.

Goes great on pork sandwiches with this sauce:

Ingredients

1/2 cup yellow mustard

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

2 cups brown sugar; packed

Preparation

Add all ingredients to a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring all along the way. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes and remove from heat. Serve at room temperature, but tastes great cold as well. Works very well with pulled pork with my vinaigrette slaw recipe.

I have not posted in these threads forever, but one of the best parts of smoking on the weekend is the breakfast sandwiches for Monday and Tuesday.  My son and I love an egg, some cheese and whatever smoked meat is left over crisped up in the pan along with some sauce for a great wake up breakfast.

So that's two courses. 

For your baked beans recipe, does it matter if the brown sugar is light brown sugar or dark brown sugar?

Anyone have a good coleslaw recipe?

This is the basic recipe, and you can add/create from here.  

Red cabbage, green cabbage, carrots.  

Ratio for dressing: depends on how much of above you have.

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

1/2 cup mayo

3 TB sugar

2 TB olive oil

1 tsp celery salt

black pepper to tase (usually a #### ton)

I have not posted in these threads forever, but one of the best parts of smoking on the weekend is the breakfast sandwiches for Monday and Tuesday.  My son and I love an egg, some cheese and whatever smoked meat is left over crisped up in the pan along with some sauce for a great wake up breakfast.
Have you ever had a leftover smoked scotch egg? Awesome breakfast!

Prime sirloin was on sale at Costco for 7 bucks a pound (!!!), and who am I to say no to that? Have a beautiful almost-2-pounder for tonight with grilled asparagus and grilled romaine (also cribbed from Fanatic's blog). Going lighter tonight after the gut bomb parade of pulled pork, beans, wife's potato salad, and beer yesterday lol.

We had our annual "football in the garage" kickoff today. I set up two tvs in the garage; one with the game and the other for redzone.  Prepped 3 racks of st louis ribs last night.  Got up early today and threw them on the WSM. Went and golfed 9 while they were on, got home about 30 minutes before kick off. Threw some mac and cheese in the oven and everything was ready about the beginning of the second quarter. Ate ribs, drank beer and watched the vikes get stomped on and then took a nice nap.  

What a great day (other than the vikings losing but a guy gets used to that). 

Put a 5 pound brisket flat in brine for next weekend. Going to do a Halfway To St. Patrick's Day Corned Beef.*

*I'm a week late because of Irma

*Actually I'm going to apply the rub and smoke it for Pastrami.

Put a 5 pound brisket flat in brine for next weekend. Going to do a Halfway To St. Patrick's Day Corned Beef.*

*I'm a week late because of Irma

*Actually I'm going to apply the rub and smoke it for Pastrami.
That is a hard core concept

I did Lamb racks a couple days ago and burgers last night. Nothing fancy. Gotta love that all three of my boys, including the 4 year old, are all about the lamb racks. Meat lollipops are my fave!

Had an all day lazy cook fest yesterday. Got the grill going for burgers during the Chiefs game. Similar to snore, I have a TV in the garage, so set up the grill in the front driveway. 

After the Chiefs won, pulled out the deep fryer and did some chicken wings. All the walkers start coming out, so there I am with a grill, deep fryer, fire pit with a little fire going, 3 kids running around....

I looked like a big cooter out there. It was awesome.

The wings were outstanding. I do them simple so the kids can eat them:

1. Coat in a mixture of sea salt, fresh ground pepper, and garlic powder.

2. Dunk in a mixture of eggs, water, and Frank's Hot Sauce.

3. Dump in flour with ground pepper mixed in.

4. 350 degrees in peanut oil for 13 minutes.

Pure goodness.  :headbang:

Spectacular to the point of outshining the pulled pork. Gassy night in the CDL house on Saturday lol...
I get that all the time. I serve them when I do the whole hog and everyone tells me, "As long as you are serving the beans, I'm there." I'm talking a heritage hog. A berkshire hog that once weened from the mother is raised in an oak forest and pretty much eats acorns its entire life and all anyone wants to talk about are the beans. 

Had an all day lazy cook fest yesterday. Got the grill going for burgers during the Chiefs game. Similar to snore, I have a TV in the garage, so set up the grill in the front driveway. 

After the Chiefs won, pulled out the deep fryer and did some chicken wings. All the walkers start coming out, so there I am with a grill, deep fryer, fire pit with a little fire going, 3 kids running around....

This is the best!

I like the way you roll. But the chiefs shoulda lost. 

Users who are viewing this thread