What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (4 Viewers)

Did some almost 2” thick Kurabuta “porterhouse cut” pork chops tonight. Walkerwoods jerk (I’m a complete addict now lol) for me, BBQ (rub then sauce) for the wife and daughters. Smoked ‘em (applewood) until the center hit 130, then seared off over direct heat. Absolutely delicious, will buy again even at roughly 2x the price of “normal” pork — much deeper flavor and an absolute ton of marbling — before cooking they were a much deeper dark reddish pink, almost like beef really. Definitely recommend these if you have access.

You imported your Berkshire pork from Japan?  That's dedication.

Anybody grilling this weekend?
Yep.  "Smoke off " at the brewery on Sunday.  4 or 5 of us regular drinkers are also BBQ guys.  And we all happen to favor different styles of smokers.  I'm an offset stick burner guy and we've got electric, propane, pellet, and kamado all represented.  So the plan is we all do the same protein each week and see what the drunks think. This week is chicken.

I do a pretty mean (albeit basic) chicken, but I'm bored with it and I don't think the skin holds up well in a steam tray type scenario. So I'm going way off the rails for round 1.  Here's what I'm offering up:

Smoked Chicken Liver Dip served on garlic olive oil crostini

Clean 2# chicken livers and dust with 50/50 kosher salt and #20 black pepper

Smoke over oak @250-300 until just past pink.

Caramelize Vidalia onions with homemade Duron Bacon lardons.

Mix livers and bacon/onion mixture with 1.5 bricks of cream cheese.

Serve on garlic/olive oil crostini made from Cuban bread. (bias slice, OO mixed with garlic brushed on bread, 8 minutes in 375-degree oven).

Chicken Balls (any naming suggestions here would be appreciated)

50% chicken breast, 50% thighs. Brine for 24 hours in 1:1:1 brine and fresh grind.

Add breadcrumbs until desired consistency...sticky but still malleable. Mix in some Memphis Dust with extra ground Rosemary.

Portion into 2 oz patties

Add 2-3 3/8" cubes of Monterey jack cheese and 3 slices of cubanelle, jalapeno, and serrano peppers to center and form even meatball around filling.

Dust thoroughly with Memphis Dust.

Smoke over Oak at 250 or so until cooked to about 160 in meat shell.

TheFanatic said:
Let me tell a story about that, because that feature is nice, but what the Meater app does with that information is absolutely amazing. First time I tested it, I just threw a pork shoulder on the grill. No big thing. Simple rub and into the Traeger. One of the issues I have is I make way more food than I can eat sometimes. My family, friends and neighbors eat really well. The problem comes when I promise people food at a certain time and a photoshoot runs long and people are grumbling (verbally and gastronomically) about dinner being late. I've got to say this happens quite a lot. I starve people way more than I should, but when I average 800 pictures per shoot, it takes time.

Back on track here. I put the shoulder in, set it for 225 and tell everyone to be at my house at 6. After a few minutes in the cooker, the Meater can take the ambient temp and how much the internal temp has risen and tell you exactly when the meat will hit the target temp. In this case, it said my should would be done at 7:15. I like to rest my shoulders for at least an hour. So I'm going to starve everyone again, right? Nope. The Meater saved my butt, literally! I upped the temp to 275 and it recalculated and said it would be done by 5:05. It was done within 5 minutes of that. It rested an hour and served my pulled pork at 6:10. Oh, I also did some ribs. Since I knew that my shoulder would have an hour of rest at 6:00 and be ready to pull, and I also knew that at 275 those ribs would take about 2.5 hours to cook, I put some ribs on at 3:30 and everything was done at the exact same time. 

How's that for a feature and benefit!?!
I'd love to talk with them about possibly hosting a demo and using the product at our booth at Memphis in May. If you'd be interested in sharing your contact info, please inbox me. Thanks GB. 

TheFanatic said:
The post is done. There are some minor formatting issues that I could not fix that my web guy will fix today and I should have it up tonight or tomorrow. 
Could you please throw up a link when it's there?

Going with a take on tandoori chicken kabobs. Greek yogurt, lemon juice, ginger, paprika, cumin, black pepper and coriander marinade for 4-6 hours, grilling over direct high heat. Having broccoli rice and caesar salad as sides. About 4 Born yesterdays in. :towelwave:

Going with a take on tandoori chicken kabobs. Greek yogurt, lemon juice, ginger, paprika, cumin, black pepper and coriander marinade for 4-6 hours, grilling over direct high heat. Having broccoli rice and caesar salad as sides. About 4 Born yesterdays in. :towelwave:
First time trying this, it will be in the rotation going forward. It was excellent :thumbup:

Yep.  "Smoke off " at the brewery on Sunday.  4 or 5 of us regular drinkers are also BBQ guys.  And we all happen to favor different styles of smokers.  I'm an offset stick burner guy and we've got electric, propane, pellet, and kamado all represented.  So the plan is we all do the same protein each week and see what the drunks think. This week is chicken.

I do a pretty mean (albeit basic) chicken, but I'm bored with it and I don't think the skin holds up well in a steam tray type scenario. So I'm going way off the rails for round 1.  Here's what I'm offering up:

Smoked Chicken Liver Dip served on garlic olive oil crostini

Clean 2# chicken livers and dust with 50/50 kosher salt and #16 black pepper

Smoke over oak @250-300 until just past pink.

Caramelize Vidalia onions with homemade Duron Bacon lardons.

Mix livers and bacon/onion mixture with 1.5 bricks of cream cheese.

Serve on garlic/olive oil crostini made from Cuban bread. (bias slice, OO mixed with garlic brushed on bread, 8 minutes in 375-degree oven).

Chicken Balls (any naming suggestions here would be appreciated)

50% chicken breast, 50% thighs. Brine for 24 hours in 1:1:1 brine and fresh grind.

Add breadcrumbs until desired consistency...sticky but still malleable. Mix in some Memphis Dust with extra ground Rosemary.

Portion into 2 oz patties

Add 2-3 3/8" cubes of Monterey jack cheese and 3 slices of cubanelle, jalapeno, and serrano peppers to center and form even meatball around filling.

Dust thoroughly with Memphis Dust.

Smoke over Oak at 250 or so until cooked to about 160 in meat shell.

Both dishes turned out great.  After experimenting with the chicken balls three times now I'm convinced that brining the breasts and thighs for a day before grinding is crucial for moisture protection in the finished product and adding a bit of Memphis dust in the meat mixture adds just enough flavor to put it over the top.  Don't smoke any more than 30-45 minutes at 250-300 or they will dry out even with the brine and bread crumbs. I think any fattie recipe would work well for these and they are easier to serve but they are much more labor intensive to make.

11 pounds of brined and fresh ground chicken:

http://tinypic.com/r/zv93l4/9

Portioned but unassembled on left, rolled and dusted on right.

http://tinypic.com/r/w98bhh/9

Loaded in the smoker.

http://tinypic.com/r/1zfh020/9

Finished

http://tinypic.com/r/2mdjaqq/9

Sliced open:

http://tinypic.com/r/2yvl1kl/9

Last edited by a moderator:
Did some almost 2” thick Kurabuta “porterhouse cut” pork chops tonight. Walkerwoods jerk (I’m a complete addict now lol) for me, BBQ (rub then sauce) for the wife and daughters. Smoked ‘em (applewood) until the center hit 130, then seared off over direct heat. Absolutely delicious, will buy again even at roughly 2x the price of “normal” pork — much deeper flavor and an absolute ton of marbling — before cooking they were a much deeper dark reddish pink, almost like beef really. Definitely recommend these if you have access.
Ive been hankerin for some good jerk chicken. Gonna give this a spin. You using the spicy (how spicy is it?) or the mild?

When I do salmon, I usually don't flip at all. But after it firms up a bit skin side down, I can see doing that with less risk of mangling the filet. 
If you cut the filets in half so their both ~6" long, it helps.  Rubbing both sides of the salmon with olive oil helps too, as does a well greased grill grate.  A sharp spatula also key.  Practice makes perfect.  I can't imagine not flipping it to sear in those wonderful flavors into the salmon.  

Do you do a "timed" cook?  or some kind of feel?  of is there a temp to shoot for?  I have a good feel for steak, pork, chicken but usually do a probe temp to be sure.  No idea on salmon.
I generally go with 4-3-3 at 350-400.  Skin side down for four minutes, careful flip for three minutes, careful flip back for 3 and that's it.  The skin will peel off with relative ease when you serve.

Does anyone have a good recommendation on a smart thermometer that I can monitor on my phone?  I know ones like the one below have some good reviews, but would like a phone app better.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y3R6R91/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Loki is another one.  I backed them on Indiegogo and got my unit about a month ago.  The first one died but they were good about sending me a replacement. It is similar in concept to the meater with ambient and meat temp in each probe, but they are wired probes. It connects natively to Wifi which I like better than Bluetooth for range reasons.  I haven't done a long cook since I got it but it has been a great remote pit temp monitor for my shorter cooks.  I'm not sure yet if for longer cooks the app is as slick as the Meater but will update when I do a longer cook.

www.lokiproducts.com

You guys just getting pork belly at your local grocery store? They didnt have it at my regular store and I called another and he sounded unsure, but said, "we have the frozen packs and can probably cut some off for you". Never really bought it before, so not sure what he's talking about or what I should be looking/asking for?

You guys just getting pork belly at your local grocery store? They didnt have it at my regular store and I called another and he sounded unsure, but said, "we have the frozen packs and can probably cut some off for you". Never really bought it before, so not sure what he's talking about or what I should be looking/asking for?
I saw it at my local Costco a few weeks ago.

I saw it at my local Costco a few weeks ago.
I get it at Costco when I run out. My main source is a heritage breeder not far from me. Pigs raised in an oak forest. As soon as they are too big for the vultures they are released to the forest to live off acorns most of their lives. I have to say, those Berkshire hybrids are amazing. That being said, it's pork belly. Hard to go wrong there. Check Costco. Otherwise talk to local butchers. Those that take in whole hogs and butcher them on site will definitely have them. Those that don't can get it from whomever is butchering for them. 

Hand made some hot dogs with a friend and restauranteur this past weekend for the first time.  Cured 80/20 for a few days with some of your pretty standard spices and some cheddar.  Flatten the meat out on trays and let it cool for a bit before re-mixing.  Untangling and rinsing sheep intestine casings.  Then you have to get the casings on the nozzle of the sausage maker and crank that bad boy at a medium pace.  Then create the links by twisting the casing after you've filled them with sausage.  Hung in a smoker at 170 for about 45 minutes then grilled on the flat top.  It doesn't seem too hard, but it's an art.

Really tedious process, making sausages. Pretty fun though and the result is great. 

Grahamburn said:
Hand made some hot dogs with a friend and restauranteur this past weekend for the first time.  Cured 80/20 for a few days with some of your pretty standard spices and some cheddar.  Flatten the meat out on trays and let it cool for a bit before re-mixing.  Untangling and rinsing sheep intestine casings.  Then you have to get the casings on the nozzle of the sausage maker and crank that bad boy at a medium pace.  Then create the links by twisting the casing after you've filled them with sausage.  Hung in a smoker at 170 for about 45 minutes then grilled on the flat top.  It doesn't seem too hard, but it's an art.

Really tedious process, making sausages. Pretty fun though and the result is great. 
Growing up, my neighbors owned a meat market.  I worked there over the summer when I was 13.  I didn't get to do any of the processing but I bet I watched a literal ton of sausage made.  My job was to clean all the equipment at the end of the day.   :X

Grahamburn said:

You get some good dong pics while you were at it? 

Growing up, my neighbors owned a meat market.  I worked there over the summer when I was 13.  I didn't get to do any of the processing but I bet I watched a literal ton of sausage made.  My job was to clean all the equipment at the end of the day.   :X
The chefs were in the back prepping for their service and we're in there making hot dogs.  :lol:

I've never been in a full service chef's kitchen before so it was cool to see the work that goes into one night's menu.

Really Page six on a Saturday in the heart of football season?

Put on a small (5 lb) high heat brisket flat just after Noon in hopes it's ready for halftime of Florida - Georgia (and hoping the Gators are still in the game).

Oh yes. But it can be worth it.

I did it once when I lived in Peru and the results were pretty good. My buddy and I had the bar owner from the brew pub we frequented over (it was my going away party) and he wanted my buddy to make more and sell them to him to be served in the pub.

That said, Peruvian sausages are really the suck so the bar is set pretty low.

Two St. Louis slabs on for a Halloween party.

Also doing a taco bar. Pork tenderloin going on the grill for those here shortly. Marinade recipe that was posted in here recently. Looks great. 

Using some of my not so aesthetically pleasing looking hot dogs for the guts on a skeleton display. 

Beer cracked. These 3:30 college games are nice today. Enjoy your saturdays, fellas!

Going to do tri tip tomorrow.  It will be raining so in the oven.

I usually use a home made rub or texas style(salt/pepper) and reverse seer.

Looking for any other options or ways people are cooking tri tip out there i can try. 

I do something like this with my Sweet Heat Cajun Ribs. Basically take some sort of spicy rub, obviously I used a Cajun rub. Smoke them for a couple hours then put in the foil, meat side down. Add about a cup of brown sugar on the back of the ribs, wrap in foil and put back on the cooker. Remove from the foil, reserving the sauce, back on the cooker for a little bit to firm up, then plate and drizzle with the sauce from the foil. 
Tried this today and have to say, big fan. The sweet heat is awesome. I used Tony Chachere’s for my Cajun tastes. Rub the ribs down, liberal amounts of brown sugar and wow. Only question I have is my drippings/slurry was kinda thin, is it supposed to be thicker? Full of flavor but thin like soup. Any thoughts or is that normal?

https://www.tonychachere.com/Original-Creole-Seasoning-Multi-Pack-P1268.aspx

Going to do tri tip tomorrow.  It will be raining so in the oven.

I usually use a home made rub or texas style(salt/pepper) and reverse seer.

Looking for any other options or ways people are cooking tri tip out there i can try. 
If you have a cast iron skillet you may want to use it to get a good crust on the beef. Alton Brown method for ribeye, but with Tri-tip. 

If you have a cast iron skillet you may want to use it to get a good crust on the beef. Alton Brown method for ribeye, but with Tri-tip. 
before or after cooking?  I usually broil it afterwards.  but maybe the skillet with some butter and spices will be a nice switch. 

before or after cooking?  I usually broil it afterwards.  but maybe the skillet with some butter and spices will be a nice switch. 
If you’re doing it in the oven put it on broil, throw the skillet in there while it’s heating up. Let it get hot for a bit then put your tri-tip in. Sear in each side for a few minutes. Reduce the heat in the oven (you can probably just shut it off) and transfer the meat to a different pan and cook to your desired temp. 

Quick smoke tonight — mutant 1 lb each boneless skinless chicken breasts (Walkerswood jerk of course, my family might have a problem with this lol). Gonna take ‘em up to 140 - 145 with applewood then finish over direct. Sautéing some Brussels sprouts in bacon grease and jasmine rice as sides.

Cast iron sear?  With butter in the pan?  Might as well call the fire department over BEFORE you smoke out your house to save time.

Tried this today and have to say, big fan. The sweet heat is awesome. I used Tony Chachere’s for my Cajun tastes. Rub the ribs down, liberal amounts of brown sugar and wow. Only question I have is my drippings/slurry was kinda thin, is it supposed to be thicker? Full of flavor but thin like soup. Any thoughts or is that normal?

https://www.tonychachere.com/Original-Creole-Seasoning-Multi-Pack-P1268.aspx
What you can do with that is very carefully remove the ribs from the foil and put back on the cooker for a little while and just let the sauce cool. It should thicken, or cook it down a bit in a pot. I just drizzled mine over the top. Not thick like BBQ sauce, but if it were, it would be too intense. 

What you can do with that is very carefully remove the ribs from the foil and put back on the cooker for a little while and just let the sauce cool. It should thicken, or cook it down a bit in a pot. I just drizzled mine over the top. Not thick like BBQ sauce, but if it were, it would be too intense. 
Same conclusion I came to. It's thin but it kinda works perfectly that way. i told the wife I could probably cook it down some but hadn't thought about the change in flavor.

I have 3 ribs left and just enough sauce to coat them, involuntary mouth watering occurring as I type this in anticipation. I feel like Pavlov's dog. Had them once Saturday night, twice yesterday and will finish them off tonight.

Same conclusion I came to. It's thin but it kinda works perfectly that way. i told the wife I could probably cook it down some but hadn't thought about the change in flavor.

I have 3 ribs left and just enough sauce to coat them, involuntary mouth watering occurring as I type this in anticipation. I feel like Pavlov's dog. Had them once Saturday night, twice yesterday and will finish them off tonight.
I made ribs on Saturday for a Traeger shoot and planned on bringing them to work for a pot luck today. I forgot I work from home today. Ah well, I'll feed everyone tomorrow. 

I made ribs on Saturday for a Traeger shoot and planned on bringing them to work for a pot luck today. I forgot I work from home today. Ah well, I'll feed everyone tomorrow. 
That's what I have, Traeger Eastwood or something. Love it, need to branch out though, haven't tried much else other than ribs & chicken.

With winter coming, I have an almost full propane tank I won't be using for months. Should I disconnect it? Does it need to be stored in the shed, or should it stay outside? I'm new to gas grilling. 

With winter coming, I have an almost full propane tank I won't be using for months. Should I disconnect it? Does it need to be stored in the shed, or should it stay outside? I'm new to gas grilling. 
Mine stays hooked up (and used) to my grill year around

Eta: didn't see the part about not using it for months. I guess if I wasn't going to use it for months I'd put it in my garage but it's not necessary

Users who are viewing this thread