What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (4 Viewers)

Because I live in the damned frozen tundra now, my smoker is in the garage.  I don't consider CO to be a significant issue.  I do fear burning my place down.  I've smoked with the garage door open, but I've always been around.  I'd love to turn my smoker on and do some #### while it cooks for me, garage door open of course.  Would you guys say this is irresponsible?

Because I live in the damned frozen tundra now, my smoker is in the garage.  I don't consider CO to be a significant issue.  I do fear burning my place down.  I've smoked with the garage door open, but I've always been around.  I'd love to turn my smoker on and do some #### while it cooks for me, garage door open of course.  Would you guys say this is irresponsible?
I'd be nervous smoking in an enclosed place if I'm not close at hand if something goes sideways.

I do it when it rains.  Luckily my smoker is reverse-flow so the firebox and exhaust are on the same side.  So I can leave the door open and kind of hang them barely outside but under the eave.  I point a fan out that direction so I feel pretty good any stray embers will blow out.  But then again, Franklins can happen.  Man, I hate even saying that.

Yeah, I wouldn't smoke anything in my garage without standing over it. 

That being said, you should see the back side of my dad's garage door. The one side is all brown from him grilling in the garage on rainy days. It's hysterical

Yeah, I wouldn't smoke anything in my garage without standing over it. 

That being said, you should see the back side of my dad's garage door. The one side is all brown from him grilling in the garage on rainy days. It's hysterical
My current setup is on my deck under the overhang of the roof. I have the fireproof mats underneath so the wood won't catch on fire.

But you should see how dark and "seasoned"  the soffit directly above the WSM and the kettle are.

ETA: Ditto on the garage. Especially if dealing with something fatty/oily/high sugar content that could flare up. I have grilled in the garage near the open door and been nervous on a couple of occasions even with direct supervision.

Last edited by a moderator:
My current setup is on my deck under the overhang of the roof. I have the fireproof mats underneath so the wood won't catch on fire.

But you should see how dark and "seasoned"  the soffit directly above the WSM and the kettle are.

ETA: Ditto on the garage. Especially if dealing with something fatty/oily/high sugar content that could flare up. I have grilled in the garage near the open door and been nervous on a couple of occasions even with direct supervision.
I'm getting the same way with two grills in the same spot the last year or so underneath my overhang on my deck. Going to cover the wood up there with corrugated steel. I wonder if the steel will stain. 

I do it when it rains.  Luckily my smoker is reverse-flow so the firebox and exhaust are on the same side.  So I can leave the door open and kind of hang them barely outside but under the eave.  I point a fan out that direction so I feel pretty good any stray embers will blow out.  But then again, Franklins can happen.  Man, I hate even saying that.
Franklins?

PinkydaPimp said:
sounds like they probably mislabeled
No, the label is form the manufacturer.

It's a Swift Premium Natural pork shoulder and underneath it says "Pork Steak Ready". Definitely a shoulder. I have a couple on the smoker overnight for pulled pork today.  Will let you know how they pull.

I was just wondering if it was something special about the cut or if they were brined. The label says no preservatives but as a precaution I didn't apply rub until about 30 minutes before they went on. (Worried about a hammy taste.)

It's a Swift Premium Natural pork shoulder and underneath it says "Pork Steak Ready". Definitely a shoulder. I have a couple on the smoker overnight for pulled pork today.  Will let you know how they pull.

I was just wondering if it was something special about the cut or if they were brined. The label says no preservatives but as a precaution I didn't apply rub until about 30 minutes before they went on. (Worried about a hammy taste.)
usually if they brine it it will say enhanced.  You would have to brine for a while to get hammy taste i believe. 

Yo, I applied a rub to my shoulders Fri night to start smoking on Sat am.  When I pulled the shoulders out of the fridge, they were quite a bit of water/fluid in the pan they were sitting in.  Should I take another day to let them sit and drain first, then apply rub and let them sit overnight?  The first time I did a boston butt I just applied the rub 1 hour prior to putting in the smoker and thought the rub applied overnight would penetrate the meat more.

Yo, I applied a rub to my shoulders Fri night to start smoking on Sat am.  When I pulled the shoulders out of the fridge, they were quite a bit of water/fluid in the pan they were sitting in.  Should I take another day to let them sit and drain first, then apply rub and let them sit overnight?  The first time I did a boston butt I just applied the rub 1 hour prior to putting in the smoker and thought the rub applied overnight would penetrate the meat more.
That's normal. I like to call it pork sweat.

Most times I apply my rub a few hours ahead, apply second coat of dry rub when waiting on coals to warm up  to the shoulder as is and go from there.

Salt is really the only spice that will penetrate the meat more than 1/8" or so. Most of my rubs have low salt content, so I will do a dry brine with just salt and then apply the rub shortly before the meat goes on the smoker/grill. Applying a salty rub overnight will still result in salt penetrating the meat, but it won't pull any of the other spices with it.

Smoked my first turkey today. 10lb. Brined overnight. Simple rub. Held the smoker between 275-350 for the most part. 

Only took like 2.5 hours. The skin was a little hard on the thighs and the wings were overdone. 

It was unstuffed. This was a trial run for cooking dinner on Christmas Eve for about 12 people. 

If I get a larger bird should I stuff it?  Cook lower temp?  I don’t want to dry out the wings and drumsticks. 

Smoked my first turkey today. 10lb. Brined overnight. Simple rub. Held the smoker between 275-350 for the most part. 

Only took like 2.5 hours. The skin was a little hard on the thighs and the wings were overdone. 

It was unstuffed. This was a trial run for cooking dinner on Christmas Eve for about 12 people. 

If I get a larger bird should I stuff it?  Cook lower temp?  I don’t want to dry out the wings and drumsticks. 
I typically smoke at a lower temp (225) and once the breast hits 150, i crank up the temp to crisp the skin and finish the bird for about 30 minutes. 

I do a 24 hour wet brine with 12 hours of refrigerated drying time. I then smoke at heat heat 350+ until it's done. Have not had a single issue with wings or anything else being over done. I use the same method for Chicken. Always awesome.

Pork pulled just fine and was tasty. Still don't know what "Pork Steak Ready" means but a shoulder is a shoulder.

Check out the turkey instructions at amazingribs.

350 might be a little high but 275-325 should be fine. Did the rub have sugar that could have charred?

Do the gravy in the drip pan underneath like they suggest. It's delicious and the steam will keep the bird moist.

Dry brine. Wrap the wing tips after they start to brown.

Don't stuff.  In fact, spatchcock if presentation is not an issue.

So I saw pork shoulder that was marked "pork steak ready".

What means this? Still good for pulledpork right?

I know @TheFanatic is a pork steak aficionado 
I'm not sure what that means. All pork shoulders are pork steak ready. You just slice them into steaks about an inch thick and cook them any variety of ways. I prefer the reverse sear. 

Don't stuff it. Stuffing insulates the inside of the bird giving you a smaller window to get the whole thing to 160 without overcooking stuff. 

Make sure to tuck the wings under the body to keep them closer to the bird to keep them from being overcooked

Here's a tip. Take the bird out of the fridge about 2 hours before going on the grill. Place an ice pack on the breasts and leave it there. While the rest of the bird comes up to room temp, the breasts will stay cool. Right before the bird goes on the grill, take the ice pack off, season, and put on the cooker. What this does is slows down the cooking of the breasts and offers more even cooking. 

The other option is to Spatchcock the bird. That helps to keep things more even and speeds things up a bit. 

Will be going through this thread a lot more closely now...

Recently built my own mini-wsm and the Slow-N-Sear for the Weber should arrive tomorrow.  Been practicing with simple cooks such as chicken quarters and baby backs on the mini-wsm, but will break in the Slow-N-Sear immediately and Xmas night will be a couple pork prime ribs (recipe via howtobbqright YouTube channel).  Think for NYE I'll try my hand at brisket for the first time

I am doing a turkey for Christmas. Generally following these directions :

http://howtobbqright.com/blog/?p=1877

Thanks for roboto posts above which cover some of my questions. Only remaining questions are 

Injection or not? . I don't have an injector and I'm planning that brine will cover the moisture concerns. I'm planning on wet brine starting the day before. Not sure how much injection adds. My experience says salt in brine and smoke provides 95% of the flavor, but I'm open to ideas. 

Where does the temp probe go in the turkey? 

Brisket question.

I smoked the “fat or thick” end the other day and it took about 10 hours. 

I want to smoke the “skinny or thin” end for Christmas. 

So, is it obviously not going to take as long to smoke the skinny end as compared to the fat end? 

I am doing a turkey for Christmas. Generally following these directions :

http://howtobbqright.com/blog/?p=1877

Thanks for roboto posts above which cover some of my questions. Only remaining questions are 

Injection or not? . I don't have an injector and I'm planning that brine will cover the moisture concerns. I'm planning on wet brine starting the day before. Not sure how much injection adds. My experience says salt in brine and smoke provides 95% of the flavor, but I'm open to ideas. 

Where does the temp probe go in the turkey? 
I have Butterballed the Turkey before and also skipped it. Injecting butter into the breast has minimal difference IMO. If you're looking at a Cajun injection or something like that I dunno.

I don't leave a temp probe in Turkey since legs and breast need different temps.  I use a thermopen to check both.

This has probably been discussed up thread but I haven't found it.  But what recommendations have you for:

Instant read thermometers

Digital read thermometers where you leave the probe in during the cook 

I have the small thermaworks pen and it is great.  Their larger thermapen probe is supposed to be very good but it's around $100.  Amazon shows a lot of them under $50.  Do you have any recommendations?  What do you use?  TIA

This has probably been discussed up thread but I haven't found it.  But what recommendations have you for:

I have the small thermaworks pen and it is great.  Their larger thermapen probe is supposed to be very good but it's around $100.  Amazon shows a lot of them under $50.  Do you have any recommendations?  What do you use?  TIA
I just use a cheap non-digital thermometer. Old school. None of this new fancy new-age witchcraft all these guys are using.

I really like the thermoworks dot for steady temp probe. I have 2. I will upgrade to wifi one in future:looking at the meater. 
I have a Thermopop for near instant reads and the old iGrill from when it was iDevices. Weber bought them and f'd the app all to hell. Once the meater block releases I will likely get that.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Meater looks interesting, but seems like a lot of digital moving parts that have to work for extended periods.  I have an older version of the Thermopop.  It's been awesome but I'd like a new one that is a little longer (probe).  

Jayrok said:
The Meater looks interesting, but seems like a lot of digital moving parts that have to work for extended periods.  I have an older version of the Thermopop.  It's been awesome but I'd like a new one that is a little longer (probe).  
To me it's worth the gamble to give it a try, I've tried a few different wired probes and have some away a bit less than impressed. I did love the iGrill at first but Weber has suckied up the app so bad that it's not nearly as good. I really have zero desire for a probe that has a temp display by the smoker or one that can't roam far with me so am looking at something that will work with wifi, the meater block looks great for that reason. Low energy bluetooth to the block, the block to wifi and then to the app. No wires. Yes please.

Jayrok said:
I bought the meater and am not a fan.  Cool concept and tech.  But the ambient temp is way off and the range for it to connect via bluetooth is awful.  I have to basically be outside to see anything.  I tried contacting them and their customer service wasnt great either.  If it wasnt for these two things it would be great but being that the ambient temp was always way off i had to resort to using my old probes for cooks. 

Jayrok said:
I bought the meater and am not a fan.  Cool concept and tech.  But the ambient temp is way off and the range for it to connect via bluetooth is awful.  I have to basically be outside to see anything.  I tried contacting them and their customer service wasnt great either.  If it wasnt for these two things it would be great but being that the ambient temp was always way off i had to resort to using my old probes for cooks.
Interesting, @TheFanatic seemed to love it.

Jayrok said:

I've been happily using this for years.

"It was great except that the temp was off" is kind of a big deal for, you know, a thermometer.

"Aside from the fact that they don't stop your car, these brakes are killer!"
Hahaha yep.  I knew something was off when i opened it in my living room and the ambient temp was like 20 Degrees off.  

proninja said:
The thermopop is way cheaper and works fantastically. The thermapen reads a little faster and folds down, so it's easier to throw in your pocket. 

If price is a consideration, get the thermopop. If you're really nerdy about this, get the thermapen.

I have a cheap digital read probe thermometer I got on closeout at sur la table that works, but my traeger has a probe that works with their wifi app I can monitor from anywhere. If I were to get a new aftermarket thermometer I'd probably get this because wifi
I have the Maverick version that is close to that but no Wi-Fi.

Honestly I hardly use it and rely on my thermopen a lot.

Worried about Maverick probe wires longevity too.

PinkydaPimp said:
Doing a rib roast.  Probably will smoke it if the weather isnt bad.  Question.  Do folks dry brine a rib roast? 
I'm about to "dry brine" mine with just salt and pepper here in a few minutes.  Let it sit all day.  Then a wet rub with fresh horseradish, garlic, thyme, canola oil, and some bacon crumbs (thanks @TheFanatic) before it goes on the Weber Bullet.  Reverse sear on my Weber Genesis.

Yes, I also have multiple grills. 

Instead of a Honey Baked ham this Christmas eve, I bought a spiral cut ham from Publix.

Going to do the glaze that @TheFanatic has on his site except using my wife's home made peach jam instead of apricot preserves.

My question is what is preferred internal temp? I see his recipe has 145.  Honey Baked ham has 140. Weber silver bullet says 120.

I realize that you're just warming it up and trying to impart a smoky flavor. I'm thinking of taking it off at 130 to 135 and letting it carry over.

WSM recipe also has smoker temp at 225-250 and I think that's a little too low. Grillin fools has it at 350. I think I'm, going to shoot for 275-300. I have a 7.5 pound ham so maybe 15 minutes per pound and guess 2 hours plus 20-30 minutes carry over?

Grillin Fools recipe

https://grillinfools.com/blog/2012/12/18/grill-glazed-spiral-ham/

WSM recipe (not nearly as appetizing pics)

http://virtualweberbullet.com/ham2.html

One brisket going on the WSM around 7am tomorrow morning and 4 racks of ribs that will go on around noontime. Should be eating a fine, smoky Christmas meal around 6p.

Users who are viewing this thread