What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (2 Viewers)

I really like my Maverick 732 wireless thermometer. Especially in the winter when I can leave the receiver in the house to monitor. Has dual meat and BBQ readings. Not sure if there's a newer version or not.

I'm considering splurging this spring.

Edit - although the Maverick gets good reviews for $60 less AND has a remote alarm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shuke....I will second the Maverick. I've had mine for a few years and is still tickin. Nice wireless feature too that has about a 50 foot range. I even take it down to the basement and it still gives me readouts.

Shuke....I will second the Maverick. I've had mine for a few years and is still tickin. Nice wireless feature too that has about a 50 foot range. I even take it down to the basement and it still gives me readouts.
I'd recommend this as well. They have great customer services as well. I had an issue with the probes it came with jumping all over the place, I gave them a call and they sent out 2 more with no issues.

Thanks guys. On the Maverick, can you keep one probe in the smoker for hours with no problem?

I am looking for thermometers also. I was looking at the smaller steak thermometers. Any good?
Recently got one of these. Only used it a few times but seems pretty good. Not instant read, probably takes about 3 seconds.
I have this from the Thermapen folks - also fast but not instant. Or just splurge on the real deal
Got this when I purchases my new Thermapen for Christmas

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt345.html

Nice little toy to keep in the truck for emergencies :tebow:

I think ideally you want a good wireless probe thermometer that you can leave in for long cooks, as well as a spot-on insta read thermometer for the shorter cooks and to finish off your long cooks.

Tough to do better than a Thermapen and a Maverick.

I've been using my iGrill for a couple years (prob around 10 cooks) and I'm very happy with it. Nothing like a 16 hour graph of meat vs smoker temp when you're done with a cook, I'm an engineer though. Also helpful to see exactly what happened while you were sleeping... "Smoker maxed out at 295 but didn't drop below 225"

Trending of meat and smoker can be useful too... "Meat temp trailing off, should be done in 30 mins" or "Smoker temp trending down but should be able to make it the two more hours I need".

Initial pairing of the bluetooth can be a pain in the butt until you get used to it and I suspect some bad reviews are from dumb user frustration. Range isn't that great but I just leave the paired Mini iPad on the island in the kitchen by the backdoor where the smoker is and no issue. They have a new model out now that I'd like to try but the old ones still working so will hold off for now.

Just whipped up a batch of grilled Plantation shrimp and grits.

Only leftovers were a little bit of grits and a small amount of sauce.

I've been using my iGrill for a couple years (prob around 10 cooks) and I'm very happy with it. Nothing like a 16 hour graph of meat vs smoker temp when you're done with a cook, I'm an engineer though. Also helpful to see exactly what happened while you were sleeping... "Smoker maxed out at 295 but didn't drop below 225"

Trending of meat and smoker can be useful too... "Meat temp trailing off, should be done in 30 mins" or "Smoker temp trending down but should be able to make it the two more hours I need".

Initial pairing of the bluetooth can be a pain in the butt until you get used to it and I suspect some bad reviews are from dumb user frustration. Range isn't that great but I just leave the paired Mini iPad on the island in the kitchen by the backdoor where the smoker is and no issue. They have a new model out now that I'd like to try but the old ones still working so will hold off for now.
Thanks for sharing. I'm a big fan of the maverick but like what you described and might add this to the collection this summer.

REALLY wanting a Humphery's smokers Battle Box this spring. Would even travel to Maine to pick it up as it would cost about the same as shipping. I've got one friend asking me to cater pulled pork for about 100 people in May. I've got a huge metal smoker right now that I can do it on but its old and a fuel hog (I think its really meant for wood but have only used charcoal the first few times I've used it) and want to sell it beforehand. Plus the Battle Box I can transport for local comps.

Anyone else have one of these? I've heard nothing but great things about it.

I made coffee and spice-rubbed bone-in pork chops with a honey coffee balsamic reduction glaze. I brined the chops, dry-rubbed them with a Savory Black Dust Coffee & Spice rub (coffee, black pepper, cumin, smoked salt, brown sugar, cocoa, mustard, coriander, chipotle), grilled them on my gas grill using a smoker box with hickory and peach wood chips, and then made the glaze from balsamic vinegar, honey, cold brew coffee, bourbon, lemon juice, fresh thyme, and spices. I was really pleased with the results.

http://imgur.com/J4kL9RY

Hey Weberguys, I've got just a couple of questions on the Genesis series if you don't mind.

- Is there any significant difference between the Genesis e330 and e310 other than the side burner?

- Are parts easy to find and replace? My current grill is brutal trying to find the right burner elements, ignition and things of that sort. Like we're talking deep, deep Google searching.

- How do these hold up? I live in Minnesota with heat & humidity in the summer, and very cold winters.

- Do I need a cover?

TIA

Grill roasted a pernil on my kamado yesterday. Took a 5 lb pork butt, injected it with some bitter orange marinade, then made a wet rub of garlic, EVOO, orange juice, oregano, cumin and salt and slopped it on the meat. Grill roasted on indirect (350 degrees) for around 4 hours, until internal temp was 180. Held it in a 180 oven for another couple hours.

It was money.

I have one. I like it a lot. The only problem I had initially: I killed the first battery after my second cook. It's hard to see if its on or off. I've even bumped the on/off button and accidentally turned it on.

I'd like to get into smoking this summer. I currently have a gas grill. I'd like to spend no more than 200 and have something that doesn't take a ton of space. I've tried smoke packs on gas grill racks and I've been disappointed. Should I go with kettle + smokenator or dedicated charcoal smoker?

I'd like to get into smoking this summer. I currently have a gas grill. I'd like to spend no more than 200 and have something that doesn't take a ton of space. I've tried smoke packs on gas grill racks and I've been disappointed. Should I go with kettle + smokenator or dedicated charcoal smoker?
If you can up your budget to ~300, I'd get this: http://www.amazon.com/Char-Griller-16620-Kamado-Charcoal-Barbecue/dp/B00GJEPTJS

if not, get this: http://www.amazon.com/Weber-711001-Mountain-14-Inch-Charcoal/dp/B00FKE67V2

Though if you already have a weber kettle, maybe the smokenator is the call? I've turned out some decent BBQ on a weber kettle without the smokenator

If you can up your budget to ~300, I'd get this: http://www.amazon.com/Char-Griller-16620-Kamado-Charcoal-Barbecue/dp/B00GJEPTJS

if not, get this: http://www.amazon.com/Weber-711001-Mountain-14-Inch-Charcoal/dp/B00FKE67V2

Though if you already have a weber kettle, maybe the smokenator is the call? I've turned out some decent BBQ on a weber kettle without the smokenator
thanks. I don't have charcoal grill at the moment. Just a weber gas grill. Was thinking WSM, but open to ideas.

Draft is fast approaching, whatcha got for menus??

Spares

Cowboy Chops

Smoked Wings in a mango/hobanero/ginger glaze

Home Fries

Baked Beans

Hey Weberguys, I've got just a couple of questions on the Genesis series if you don't mind.

- Is there any significant difference between the Genesis e330 and e310 other than the side burner?

- Are parts easy to find and replace? My current grill is brutal trying to find the right burner elements, ignition and things of that sort. Like we're talking deep, deep Google searching.

- How do these hold up? I live in Minnesota with heat & humidity in the summer, and very cold winters.

- Do I need a cover?

TIA
Not that I'm aware of.

I haven't had to replace anything. Ignitor still works. Weber is well known for fantastic customer service and and ease of finding their parts.

Going on 3 years in Florida, kept outside on a patio.

I did buy a cover for mine.

- Do I need a cover?

TIA
Not that I'm aware of.

I haven't had to replace anything. Ignitor still works. Weber is well known for fantastic customer service and and ease of finding their parts.

I've always thought it is just dumb to not cover a grill that is left outdoors.

Spike said:

- Do I need a cover?

TIA
Not that I'm aware of.

I've always thought it is just dumb to not cover a grill that is left outdoors.
I have a Genesis and the side burner is the only difference. Your other choices when getting one of these is a) natural vs. propane and b) stainless steel vs. ceramic coated cast iron grates. Both of these are personal preferences. I would have liked to go natural gas, but, there is a chance I may have to move in the next several years so the cost of running gas lines in the house didn't make sense. I also prefer cast iron grates for heat distribution, cleaning and maintenance (But, again that's a personal preference and some people will argue the other way).

You can find any replacement parts needed no problem. I've only had the Genesis for two years so far but my other Weber grills have held up well and most people get 10 to 15 years out of their Genesis. Always get a cover.

New to WSM and smoking, but enjoying it so far. 1st cook was baby back ribs. Turned out great but a little too smokey.

Yesterday was spatchcock chicken and fatty and need a little help that I didn't see elsewhere.

Chicken - how long is a typical cook? I pulled when temp got to 155 (2 hours at ~300) and finished it on a piping hot gas grill for a few minutes to crisp up the skin. Seems like I shouldve let it go a little longer on smoker, but dinner time was happening.

Fatty - what's the secret to getting from ziploc bag to nicely rolled roll? The thing fell apart badly as I was rolling by hand. It was sticking to the ziploc bag. It became a mess so I just took the messy lump onto greased aluminum foil and cooked it that way. Still tasted fine, but there's no way I was getting a bacon weave on there even if I wanted.

New to WSM and smoking, but enjoying it so far. 1st cook was baby back ribs. Turned out great but a little too smokey.

Yesterday was spatchcock chicken and fatty and need a little help that I didn't see elsewhere.

Chicken - how long is a typical cook? I pulled when temp got to 155 (2 hours at ~300) and finished it on a piping hot gas grill for a few minutes to crisp up the skin. Seems like I shouldve let it go a little longer on smoker, but dinner time was happening.

Fatty - what's the secret to getting from ziploc bag to nicely rolled roll? The thing fell apart badly as I was rolling by hand. It was sticking to the ziploc bag. It became a mess so I just took the messy lump onto greased aluminum foil and cooked it that way. Still tasted fine, but there's no way I was getting a bacon weave on there even if I wanted.
I smoke my chicken as high as the WSM goes which is usually between 350-450 depending on the outside weather and charcoal I use. I dont have a time I just check with a thermometer in the thigh and breast.

As for the fatty--Do NOT seal all the way before rolling out, leave a little opening for the air t get out. Also, the ziplock bag is a pain in the ### so transfer it over to some waxpaper, its a LOT easier to roll it

I smoke my chicken as high as the WSM goes which is usually between 350-450 depending on the outside weather and charcoal I use. I dont have a time I just check with a thermometer in the thigh and breast.
Thanks for fattie tip. On the chicken, I saw the same thing when I was looking for how-to, but for a first timer, I was looking for some guidance on cook time to give me some sense as when to start cooking. If I followed the basic BBQ chicken recipe on the Virtual Weber Bullet, I would have planned for 60 minutes of cooking when the more realistic time was 2+ hours.

The chicken results turned out really good. That said, carving the full chicken as a good chunk of work. In the future, I'd lean more towards buying quarters, thighs or breasts. Glad I tried it, but I prefer ribs to chicken anyway.

As for the fatty--Do NOT seal all the way before rolling out, leave a little opening for the air t get out. Also, the ziplock bag is a pain in the ### so transfer it over to some waxpaper, its a LOT easier to roll it
Comepletely agree, wax paper is the way to go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlw5UGGjDtc

Brony said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
Thanks for fattie tip. On the chicken, I saw the same thing when I was looking for how-to, but for a first timer, I was looking for some guidance on cook time to give me some sense as when to start cooking. If I followed the basic BBQ chicken recipe on the Virtual Weber Bullet, I would have planned for 60 minutes of cooking when the more realistic time was 2+ hours.

The chicken results turned out really good. That said, carving the full chicken as a good chunk of work. In the future, I'd lean more towards buying quarters, thighs or breasts. Glad I tried it, but I prefer ribs to chicken anyway.
Leave water out of the water pan. This will let you get higher temps for chicken but still be technically indirect.

Doing my first brisket this weekend

6 lbs at 225-250ish...is an hour/lb enough or should I allow more? Target temp?

Just rub it should I inject?

Also want to smoke some sausages same time...I assume those only need a few hours?

Also want to smoke some sausages same time...I assume those only need a few hours?
an hour might not be long enough. might need 1.5 hours/lb. Target temp of 195-205. I've never injected brisket. Only rubbed.

pull at 165, foil to 195, let rest to 200. I inject with a combo of worcestershire/beef broth/apple juice/soy and Dr Pepper

Sausage should take no longer than 2 hours depending on size, most are less than 1.5, after that they will start to shrink/wrinkle

Smoked some brined chicken thighs yesterday. Didn't remember the notes in here about crisping the skin, so I went low/slow: 225 for about 90 minutes.

Tasted great but the skin was like chewing on a deflated balloon. Next time I'll pull them out at 150 and crisp up on a screaming hot grill for a few minutes.

Smoked some brined chicken thighs yesterday. Didn't remember the notes in here about crisping the skin, so I went low/slow: 225 for about 90 minutes.

Tasted great but the skin was like chewing on a deflated balloon. Next time I'll pull them out at 150 and crisp up on a screaming hot grill for a few minutes.
Scraping the skins is really the only way to get them bite through.

Scraping the skins is really the only way to get them bite through.
What about salting the #### out of them and then go direct heat?

Users who are viewing this thread