What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Cooking Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

My wife makes an excellent blueberry / banana bread. Makes 3 loaves at a time and we freeze 1 or 2. I use it to make french toast.

35-40 mins seems long. I usually cook mine between 20-25 mins.
You are absolutely correct. I honestly have no idea why mine takes longer. I should have mentioned that in my post to not throw people off.Every recipe I have seen is in your time range but if I stop at 25 minutes, the rice is way too chewy.

I wonder if I stir at too low a cook top temp? I tend to use a low to medium setting, where I will see bubbles if I stop stirring for a few seconds. I also make sure the broth is already hot when adding it to the rice. What do you use for a temp?

Edit: In looking around the net, it appears that a lot of people end up cooking in my time range. I will experiment with a little more heat today to see if that reduces the time at all and make sure my stock is simmering instead of just hot.

http://forums.finecooking.com/cookstalk/cooking-discussion/why-does-my-risotto-take-so-long
Yeah, I bet raising your temp on your rice pot and stock pot will cut some time down. Are you stirring like a maniac, lol?
I stir constantly. Should I let it sit and bubble between stirs?
You don't need to constantly stir risotto. A swirl every 45 seconds or so is fine.

35-40 mins seems long. I usually cook mine between 20-25 mins.
You are absolutely correct. I honestly have no idea why mine takes longer. I should have mentioned that in my post to not throw people off.Every recipe I have seen is in your time range but if I stop at 25 minutes, the rice is way too chewy.

I wonder if I stir at too low a cook top temp? I tend to use a low to medium setting, where I will see bubbles if I stop stirring for a few seconds. I also make sure the broth is already hot when adding it to the rice. What do you use for a temp?

Edit: In looking around the net, it appears that a lot of people end up cooking in my time range. I will experiment with a little more heat today to see if that reduces the time at all and make sure my stock is simmering instead of just hot.

http://forums.finecooking.com/cookstalk/cooking-discussion/why-does-my-risotto-take-so-long
Yeah, I bet raising your temp on your rice pot and stock pot will cut some time down. Are you stirring like a maniac, lol?
I stir constantly. Should I let it sit and bubble between stirs?
You don't need to constantly stir risotto. A swirl every 45 seconds or so is fine.
ok I will try that tonight. Thanks!

Here's my risotto recipe.

Taken years to get it the way I want it, but like I said earlier, I make it by request for most of my friends and families special occasions and they say it's the best they've ever eaten.

(These measurements are tough because I usually just eye everything, but these are my best guesses)

2 cloves of garlic

3 stalks of leeks (washed, cut lengthwise in half and then chopped about a quarter inch)

1 lbs of GOOD mushrooms. The market usually has a variety pack of higher end mushrooms. I think a mixture of Oyster, Hen of the Woods and Chantrelles are perfect

1 lemon

2 cups of dry white wine, I use Sauvignon Blanc

Chicken stock (warmed on a stove top)

16 oz arborrio rice

Bunch of fresh flat leaf parsley

Fresh grated Parmesan cheese (lots)

Oil

Butter

I cook the mushrooms down in butter first until soft and just beginning to lose their form.

Save them and the pan liquid and put aside.

Add some more butter to the pan as well as olive oil.

Add leeks and garlic and stir until soft and starting to become translucent.

Add your rice and toast it for a minute (add more olive oil first if you're low on liquid)

Add the white wine and be sure to scrape the bits of cooked mushroom up (watch your eyebrows as the alcohol cooks off)

When most of the white wine is absorbed by the rice start going to town with the chicken stock with your favorite risotto cooking technique.

I personally like my risotto a little thicker so I stir more constantly to molest more starch out of the rice. Adding a ladle full every time I feel the rice start to stick to the bottom.

With about a minute to go, I stir back in the mushrooms and their cooking juice.

Remove from heat. Stir in at least a cup of fresh Parmesan cheese.

Add the juice of half a lemon and the zest of about half the lemon.

Finish with a crapload of fresh chopped parsley.

The parsley and the lemon make the dish I think. They sort of wake it up and freshen it.

I never got around to it but I wanted to try adding some dried porcini mushrooms that I grind in a spice grinder and maybe stir in about halfway into cooking

I've made it with other ingredients before but the Lemon Mushroom Risotto is my favorite. Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
So I just finished the risotto portion of the cook.

I used more heat on the cook top

I made sure the stock was simmering

I stirred less

Still took 37 minutes until done.

Could the amount of rice have anything to do with the time? I am cooking about 2 cups of arborio? I know amount does not matter when boiling rice in water (1 cup or 2 cups still takes 20 minutes) but was wondering since this is a different method of cooking if that might add in a variable?

Here's my risotto recipe.

Taken years to get it the way I want it, but like I said earlier, I make it by request for most of my friends and families special occasions and they say it's the best they've ever eaten.

(These measurements are tough because I usually just eye everything, but these are my best guesses)

2 cloves of garlic

3 stalks of leeks (washed, cut lengthwise in half and then chopped about a quarter inch)

1 lbs of GOOD mushrooms. The market usually has a variety pack of higher end mushrooms. I think a mixture of Oyster, Hen of the Woods and Chantrelles are perfect

1 lemon

2 cups of dry white wine, I use Sauvignon Blanc

Chicken stock (warmed on a stove top)

16 oz arborrio rice

Bunch of fresh flat leaf parsley

Fresh grated Parmesan cheese (lots)

Oil

Butter

I cook the mushrooms down in butter first until soft and just beginning to lose their form.

Save them and the pan liquid and put aside.

Add some more butter to the pan as well as olive oil.

Add leeks and garlic and stir until soft and starting to become translucent.

Add your rice and toast it for a minute (add more olive oil first if you're low on liquid)

Add the white wine and be sure to scrape the bits of cooked mushroom up (watch your eyebrows as the alcohol cooks off)

When most of the white wine is absorbed by the rice start going to town with the chicken stock with your favorite risotto cooking technique.

I personally like my risotto a little thicker so I stir more constantly to molest more starch out of the rice. Adding a ladle full every time I feel the rice start to stick to the bottom.

With about a minute to go, I stir back in the mushrooms and their cooking juice.

Remove from heat. Stir in at least a cup of fresh Parmesan cheese.

Add the juice of half a lemon and the zest of about half the lemon.

Finish with a crapload of fresh chopped parsley.

The parsley and the lemon make the dish I think. They sort of wake it up and freshen it.

I never got around to it but I wanted to try adding some dried porcini mushrooms that I grind in a spice grinder and maybe stir in about halfway into cooking

I've made it with other ingredients before but the Lemon Mushroom Risotto is my favorite. Enjoy
I make a mushroom risotto that I like but I love the idea of adding in the lemon and the parsley. Thanks!

Bender, that risotto recipe is almost exactly how I do mine...I usually go with white and baby bella mushrooms...next time I'll try adding a bit of lemon.

And guys, let's start seeing some pics of this food y'all are making...here's a shot of my risotto last time I made it:

http://imageshack.com/a/img838/3774/hvzr.png

Garnished with fresh grated and shaved parm, parsley sprigs, bellas and tipped with a fluted white mushroom (I made this for guests and wanted a nice presentation...when I make it for myself I skip the extras)

Bender, that risotto recipe is almost exactly how I do mine...I usually go with white and baby bella mushrooms...next time I'll try adding a bit of lemon.

And guys, let's start seeing some pics of this food y'all are making...here's a shot of my risotto last time I made it:

Garnished with fresh grated and shaved parm, parsley sprigs, bellas and tipped with a fluted white mushroom (I made this for guests and wanted a nice presentation...when I make it for myself I skip the extras)
Wow that looks so much like mine.

You've gotta add the lemon man. Juice and zest. Takes it to a whole new level.

The leeks are key too.

NewlyRetired said:
So I just finished the risotto portion of the cook.

I used more heat on the cook top

I made sure the stock was simmering

I stirred less

Still took 37 minutes until done.

Could the amount of rice have anything to do with the time? I am cooking about 2 cups of arborio? I know amount does not matter when boiling rice in water (1 cup or 2 cups still takes 20 minutes) but was wondering since this is a different method of cooking if that might add in a variable?
Could be your pot

RBM said:
My girls are obsessed with pickles. So I was recently explaining what they are to them and they were like floored. So we are trying our first batch of homemade dill pickles tonight.

http://s27.postimg.org/m3h6d8u1b/image.jpg

http://s27.postimg.org/ux82ucgzz/image.jpg

http://s27.postimg.org/62ol09w5r/image.jpg

We will check them Wednesday when they should taste like pickles. Hopefully
:thumbup: I made a trial batch 2 weeks ago, they turned out great. I did the no cook method - just put em in a container and cover with vinegar & water, and add salt, fresh dill, garlic, pepper. Refrigerate for 2 days. Done. This was my first ever attempt so I did a couple different cuts. This pic was after about 36 hours.

http://imageshack.com/a/img845/3359/aimh.png

Guess I didn't delete that post fast enough. Wasn't happy with the picture sizes. Better pic here. Here is what went on the bottom of the quart:

1/8t red pepper flakes

1/4t coriander seeds

1/4t mustard seeds

2 crushed cloves of garlic

3 sprigs fresh dill ripped up

Packed in the cukes tight. Then in a seperate measuring cup I mixed a tbsp of sea salt, 1/2 cup of cider vinegar and 1 1/2 cup of hot water. Dissolve the salt and poured over cukes. Seal it up til Wednesday.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2dlowpe&s=8#.UwAXk3-9KSM

The recipe I used I found online but I can't find it now...pretty simple though.

Cut cukes into spears or chips. Place in jar or container with airtight lid. I used a sherbet container, quart sized.

Add 4oz white distilled vinegar, a few sprigs of fresh dill, a tablespoon of kosher sea salt, 2 cloves fresh chopped garlic, pinch of celery seed, some fresh cracked black pepper. Add cold water to cover cukes. Seal container, shake to mix it all up. Place in fridge for 48 hours, shaking every 8 hours or so.

Done. Crispy and delicious without any artificial color or preservatives. Should be eaten within a few weeks.

Of course you can add whatever spices you like. Mine had a good garlic kick, go a bit easier for less garlic flavor.

Here's the pic again somewhere between 24 and 36 hours

You guys have me looking through old pics. A recent risotto. Parmesan, pancetta, and baby bellas

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=5lnxc9&s=8#.UwAcxX-9KSM

Funny because if I'm making for guests just to be eaten as risotto, I'll leave out the pancetta and load on the fresh parsley. But I'm so into making arancini the next day I usually make it this way because I prefer it this way when fried up.

The recipe I used I found online but I can't find it now...pretty simple though.

Cut cukes into spears or chips. Place in jar or container with airtight lid. I used a sherbet container, quart sized.

Add 4oz white distilled vinegar, a few sprigs of fresh dill, a tablespoon of kosher sea salt, 2 cloves fresh chopped garlic, pinch of celery seed, some fresh cracked black pepper. Add cold water to cover cukes. Seal container, shake to mix it all up. Place in fridge for 48 hours, shaking every 8 hours or so.

Done. Crispy and delicious without any artificial color or preservatives. Should be eaten within a few weeks.

Of course you can add whatever spices you like. Mine had a good garlic kick, go a bit easier for less garlic flavor.

Here's the pic again somewhere between 24 and 36 hours

You did spears and chips in same jar? Interesting...

Yup..it was a trial batch and I wanted to see the difference in time it took for the different cuts to finish...the chips got kind of limp after 2 days...the spears stayed crisp for 2 weeks until I finished eating them.

I dont think I'll do chips again unless I cut em really thick. Like an inch thick.

Going in the polar opposite direction of Risotto Arinicini's, today I am planning an ulrtra simple old school Sloppy Joe sandwich.

Ground beef, chopped green bell pepper, chopped celery all sauted and then simmered in a spicy tomato based sauce on the stove top.

Served on toasted sesame seed buns.

No touch of truffle oil with a small drizzle on top?

Guess I didn't delete that post fast enough. Wasn't happy with the picture sizes. Better pic here. Here is what went on the bottom of the quart:

1/8t red pepper flakes

1/4t coriander seeds

1/4t mustard seeds

Packed in the cukes tight. Then in a seperate measuring cup I mixed a tbsp of sea salt, 1/2 cup of cider vinegar and 1 1/2 cup of hot water. Dissolve the salt and poured over cukes. Seal it up til Wednesday.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2dlowpe&s=8#.UwAXk3-9KSM
What's with the green dildo by the Buy Buy Baby bag in the background?

1/8t red pepper flakes

1/4t coriander seeds

1/4t mustard seeds

Packed in the cukes tight. Then in a seperate measuring cup I mixed a tbsp of sea salt, 1/2 cup of cider vinegar and 1 1/2 cup of hot water. Dissolve the salt and poured over cukes. Seal it up til Wednesday.http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2dlowpe&s=8#.UwAXk3-9KSM
:lmao: Stem from a balloon flower

Today I am doing a steak fajita,

* Steak (choose what ever cut you like), bell peppers, onions, jalapeno, and Monterrey jack cheese

* Marinade made out of olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, lime juice, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, and chile powder

* Marinate steak and cup veggies separately

* Cook steak Alton Brown method** and let rest

* On stove top cook up veggies in heavy skillet

* Slice steak and mix into veggies

* Add shredded Monterrey Jack cheese and blend until melted

* Serve on home made tortillas (see post #4 in thread for this recipe).

**Alton Brown steak method (start around the 12 minute mark to get to the actual cooking process)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOQsM2yTK9o

* Steak (choose what ever cut you like), bell peppers, onions, jalapeno, and Monterrey jack cheese

* Marinade made out of olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, lime juice, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, and chile powder

**Alton Brown steak method (start around the 12 minute mark to get to the actual cooking process)

This video is not available in your country

I am interested in making home made pasta.

Can anyone recommend what type of tool I should be focusing on? My mom still uses an old hand crank machine she got back in the 70's but I was not sure if anything better has been developed that I should be considering.

hmm, not sure what is wrong. I am on a VPN but watching the video like my computer is in Philly.

Anyway, here are the basics if you have not seen it

1) Cast iron skillet in 500 degree oven while the oven preheats

2) Steak with salt and pepper on both sides

3) Cast iron pan on high heat on stove top

4) Oil meat lightly (use peanut oil if you have it because of the high temps)

5) Steak into pan and do not touch for 30 seconds

6) Flip for 30 seconds

7) Cast iron skillet into 500 degree oven for 2 minutes and then flip for another 2 minutes (this is for medium rare, 2.5 minutes each side will get you medium)

8) take out of cast iron and let rest for 5ish minutes on counter

Can anyone recommend what type of tool I should be focusing on? My mom still uses an old hand crank machine she got back in the 70's but I was not sure if anything better has been developed that I should be considering.
Do you have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer? There's an attachment that works. Otherwise, the technology hasn't evolved much. There are electronic versions of the hand cranked ones, but I don't think they're worth the counter space.

Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
NewlyRetired said:

Do you have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer? There's an attachment that works. Otherwise, the technology hasn't evolved much. There are electronic versions of the hand cranked ones, but I don't think they're worth the counter space.
Yeah we have the Kitchen Aid attachment and it's perfect.

NewlyRetired said:

no, I don't have the mixer. :(

If I don't find the need for the mixer, it sounds like the old fashioned hand crank is the way to go.

With the hand crank models, how do you get different shapes? I see them used to roll out longer, flatter pasta like Lasagna, but was not sure how to use it to create things like Penne etc.

NewlyRetired said:

no, I don't have the mixer. :(

If I don't find the need for the mixer, it sounds like the old fashioned hand crank is the way to go.

With the hand crank models, how do you get different shapes? I see them used to roll out longer, flatter pasta like Lasagna, but was not sure how to use it to create things like Penne etc.
After a quick look at Amazon, it looks like they make pasta makers that are similar to sausage makers that have discs/dies that produce the tubular pastas. Google them!

NewlyRetired said:

I have the old style pasta roller and it works fine. Not overly expensive. In lieu of any gadget you can use a rolling pin and roll it until its pretty thin. Pull it to the end of the work surface and from underneath, blow on it really hard. If it flutters is probably thin enough. Then roll the dough really tight, like back in your college days. Once rolled, cut in pieces with a knife every inch or so (or closer/further depending on the width of the noodle you're looking for).

Here are some step by step pictures on my blog.

I don't have a ton of experience making my own pasta (I last tried something like 15 years ago). What I remember, and what I've read elsewhere, is that it's really only worthwhile for some select applications. For instance, I certainly understand the appeal of fresh tagliatelle, particularly with a homemade bolognese. And I certainly get the desire to make your own ravioli or tortellini or something. I've read that fresh fettucine can make a difference with an alfredo.

But for spaghetti, linguine, penne, ziti? I'd bet even most excellent restaurants use dried pasta. I really can't imagine why I'd even want a die extruder to make a lot of shapes.

I don't have a ton of experience making my own pasta (I last tried something like 15 years ago). What I remember, and what I've read elsewhere, is that it's really only worthwhile for some select applications. For instance, I certainly understand the appeal of fresh tagliatelle, particularly with a homemade bolognese. And I certainly get the desire to make your own ravioli or tortellini or something. I've read that fresh fettucine can make a difference with an alfredo.

But for spaghetti, linguine, penne, ziti? I'd bet even most excellent restaurants use dried pasta. I really can't imagine why I'd even want a die extruder to make a lot of shapes.
I agree 100%. Fresh pasta tastes better (to me) but even so, despite how quick it is, I still only do it every once in a while and would never do it for fancy shapes.

Jules Winnfield said:
NewlyRetired said:

Similar track tonight - shrimp quesadillas. Boiled the shrimp, shelled and then mixed them in a little olive oil, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and raw garlic, onion powder and salt/pepper. Sauteed some fresh spinach and had some diced red/yellow frozen already. Fine dice half an onion and prepped the cheeses. I am now ready for making combos each family member wants.

Wife and I will go shrimp, spinach, all the vegs with garlic ricotta and toasted pecans (small pieces).

The kids will likely go shrimp with minimal vegs and lots of shredded bag cheese.

Side salads with romaine and the leftover stuff above with homemade avacado dressing (easy and we love it).

http://cookingwithkrista.blogspot.com/2010/04/mexican-salad-with-creamy-avocado.html

Cocktail hour starts now.

So no meal to cook today as it is left over day but I am taking the opportunity to resupply my two staples which are tomato sauce and stock.

=============================

Basic Tomato Sauce

* onions and garlic sauted

* canned tomatoes (crushed or whole put through food mill)

* bring to boil

* on side sear pork

* add seared pork to sauce

* add salt, sugar, and basil

* let simmer covered for 90 minutes and then let simmer for another 60 with cover askew

* let cool and then freeze in appropriate sized containers
I know you've been doing this a while, but why not sear the pork in the same pot you're using to make the sauce? I'd make it the first step, that way you get to keep the rendered fat and crispy pieces.
You have a good question.

My only answer is that this is the way my family has cooked it going back to both of my grandmothers, both of whom grew up in Sicily.

I do scrape everything from frying pan into the sauce, so I get most of the goodies.
aside from rendering the pork and using that fat to saute the garlic and onion, deglaze with some red wine.
I think I need to mention this is a very basic tomato sauce that I then use as a baseline for building various tomato sauces when cooking later. I try to keep this some what neutral because I add flavors later when building the more complex sauces to pair with what I am making the sauce for.
What do you do with the pork? Do you cut it up? Do you leave it in large pieces and then remove it when it is done to eat separately? Not being raised Italian, neither my mother nor my grandmother mother made sauces like this!
I leave it in big pieces. In my family, meat was always left in (meatballs, sausages, pork etc) during cooking and then taken out, put in a side dish and served with the pasta.

There is no one right way to make sauce (hope my mom did not hear me type that :) )
How about ratios? rough is OK.
Remember this is just a basic sauce, if I was intending this to be my finished sauce for a meal it would be a little different

2 TBS olive oil

1 onion chopped

2 big garlic cloves minced

4 28oz cans tomatoes (if whole, put through food mill)

2 tsp salt

1 tsp sugar

5ish basil leaves

1 pound pork
Thanks, my sauce turns out to be more like a Bolognese, and one of my kids isn't a fan of it, so I am looking for a more meatless sauce. This looks good.
Made this today. Delicious. Only minor changes were to toss in one of those small cup and and a half bottles of red wine, and instead of pork was to use meatballs that I put in halfway for my meatball sandwiches. They were frozen, so baked them first. Not sure if I needed to do that. I had time issues where I could watch the sauce. Hoagies and Hot Dog Rolls for smaller sandwiches! Cheese on top and broiled them. Yummy!

Had one kid who wanted it over noodles. NBD. Nice amount for leftovers, may need to add more meatballs for more sandwiches.

What is the thought on adding the meatballs? Frozen or bake them first?

I agree 100%. Fresh pasta tastes better (to me) but even so, despite how quick it is, I still only do it every once in a while and would never do it for fancy shapes.
Same here. I'd never do a rigatoni or penne fresh. When I do fresh it's for pappardelle or linguine mostly.

i use my kitchen aid pasta attachment primarily for pappardelle, ravioli, tortellini, fettuccine, and linguine. was a sous chef for an italian restaurant and we just used the old fashioned manual machine. these days i rarely make homemade.

1/8t red pepper flakes

1/4t coriander seeds

1/4t mustard seeds

Packed in the cukes tight. Then in a seperate measuring cup I mixed a tbsp of sea salt, 1/2 cup of cider vinegar and 1 1/2 cup of hot water. Dissolve the salt and poured over cukes. Seal it up til Wednesday.http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2dlowpe&s=8#.UwAXk3-9KSM
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

i use my kitchen aid pasta attachment primarily for pappardelle, ravioli, tortellini, fettuccine, and linguine. was a sous chef for an italian restaurant and we just used the old fashioned manual machine. these days i rarely make homemade.
So the $25,000 question is did you use dried, pre-made pasta when you used something like penne? Or did you make that fresh?

So the $25,000 question is did you use dried, pre-made pasta when you used something like penne? Or did you make that fresh?
Wow that would be tough. Ravioli is doable on a relatively simple basis compared to that - 2 flat sheets of pasta on a form ...or not.

had dried penne, but only on the kids menu. would make it on request.

Users who are viewing this thread