What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Atheism Irrational? NYTimes Opinion Piece (1 Viewer)

What beliefs are you referring to here? Did you mean opinions instead? That'd make a ton more sense, because beliefs are positions people form beyond what science requires. If it's provable/unprovable it's not a belief. It's either true or false.
Go back to the last time you asked me that question. It's like Groundhog Day in here.
I did...there was no answer there either. You're right...like Groundhog Day. No answer here either. Interesting
Jesus dude, what's wrong with you?

beliefs = faith = cop-out

beliefs = written and preached works that are historically and factually inaccurate = evidence for the dark side

He's talking about some sort of "probability" here. His word, not mine. Then the dance began. I THINK he's saying "since I see no scientific evidence of God in the little sliver I know, it's highly likely I won't find it in the huge slice left to explore either". So I was stupid enough to ask if that's what he meant. A simple yes or no would suffice, yet I got what you have above. It didn't even get to the point of theology, which is new...pretty funny.
The answer was no, see below. Not a simple "no", but, pretty simple none the less.

tonydead said:
Probability percentage is calculated from the known. I was talking about what you bolded, something we know a lot about, not the entire universe. That probability doesn't change by saying the universe is really really big.
So what I bolded was this:
When it comes to Christianity or any of the current religions whose beliefs can be observed and studied against science; the probability of their God being true is so low you might as well label me an atheist.
What beliefs are you referring to here? Did you mean opinions instead? That'd make a ton more sense, because beliefs are positions people form beyond what science requires. If it's provable/unprovable it's not a belief. It's either true or false.
I disagree with the bolded completely. We're talking past each other.
I guess we are. Belief to me is and has always been:confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof:

confidence; faith; trust:

a religious tenet or tenets; religious creed or faith:

So when I say belief that's what I'm using as frame of reference. There are some dictionaries that tie "opinion" to belief. Perhaps that's what you are doing? For conversation like this it's easier if opinion is opinion and belief is belief....especially if one is really interested in understanding the theological side. Belief in the Bible is not analogous with opinion. It's always used in the context I outline here.
I'd say belief is a mental state that something is true. It could be based on evidence or not. If it's not, I'd call that faith.

A belief is a proposition you hold to be true. I hold a belief that the Earth revolves around the sun. That's based on a combination of believing authority (scientists, teachers) and indirect observation. It's not just 'faith' propositions.

Why is this so hard?

A belief is a proposition you hold to be true. I hold a belief that the Earth revolves around the sun. That's based on a combination of believing authority (scientists, teachers) and indirect observation. It's not just 'faith' propositions.

Why is this so hard?
Belief is subjective and full of bias.

Atheism is looking pretty darned rational today.
But not when Pol-Pot was killing people by the millions.
Of course he did that in the name of atheism.
Probably not, but his actions are associated with atheism as equally as the actions of the Muslims in Paris are with Islam.
Swing and miss.
Man, the rational arguments in here are just astounding.
What tenants of atheism were the foundation for the actions of murder?
Kind of the point.
So which ones??
:wall:

None. Just like the tenants of Islam that led to the Paris incident. Making an association of all religion to that is like making an association of Pol-pot's actions and atheism.

THERE ISN'T AN ASSOCIATION!!!

I thought people around here were smarter than this, but I guess when discussing a pre-conceived bias, its harder to get through.

I mean for Pete's sake, I'm a Christian defending Islam. That alone should give you guys some hesitation when reading my points.

Why is this so hard?
Belief is subjective and full of bias.
Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/belief/

Contemporary analytic philosophers of mind generally use the term belief to refer to the attitude we have, roughly, whenever we take something to be the case or regard it as true. To believe something, in this sense, needn't involve actively reflecting on it: Of the vast number of things ordinary adults believe, only a few can be at the fore of the mind at any single time. Nor does the term belief, in standard philosophical usage, imply any uncertainty or any extended reflection about the matter in question (as it sometimes does in ordinary English usage). Many of the things we believe, in the relevant sense, are quite mundane: that we have heads, that it's the 21st century, that a coffee mug is on the desk. Forming beliefs is thus one of the most basic and important features of the mind, and the concept of belief plays a crucial role in both philosophy of mind and epistemology. The mind-body problem, for example, so central to philosophy of mind, is in part the question of whether and how a purely physical organism can have beliefs. Much of epistemology revolves around questions about when and how our beliefs are justified or qualify as knowledge.

Jayrod even I took your Pol-Pot reference to mean that he committed those acts due to his atheism.
Certainly a portion of them. Cambodian Christians and Buddhist monks were targeted specifically because of their religion. Only a handful survived. Something like 80% were slaughtered.

Jayrod even I took your Pol-Pot reference to mean that he committed those acts due to his atheism.
Certainly a portion of them. Cambodian Christians and Buddhist monks were targeted specifically because of their religion. Only a handful survived. Something like 80% were slaughtered.
Removing religion as an obstacle to indoctrination (nationalism) doesn't necessarily mean you are doing it in the name of atheism.

He also targeted anything and anyone educated or associated with education. He abolished marriage and money. Property.... books, music.

Last edited by a moderator:
Removing religion as an obstacle to indoctrination (nationalism) doesn't necessarily mean you are doing it in the name of atheism.
I think I understand your point here and I may agree. But if you intentionally target and kill religious leaders because you want an irreligious society I'm not sure.

I think I understand your point here and I may agree. But if you intentionally target and kill religious leaders because you want an irreligious society I'm not sure.
I added more after this.

I would agree with you if that were his only focus, or if it were differentiated from how he targeted everything else.

He was wiping the slate clean so to speak for his backwards ideology - anything and everything that was an obstacle to him.

[SIZE=13.63636302948px]He also targeted anything and anyone educated or associated with education. He abolished marriage and money. Property.... books, music.[/SIZE]

They were slaughtered because religion is a threat to core communist ideals. I'm not going to try to draw the line between what was done in the name of atheism and what was done in the name of anti-religion.He targeted and killed these people because they were religious and did not discriminate between religions. You can twist that however you like.

I added more after this.

I would agree with you if that were his only focus, or if it were differentiated from how he targeted everything else.

He was wiping the slate clean so to speak for his backwards ideology - anything and everything that was an obstacle to him.
I'm not so sure the religious theocrats are that different in their motivation. The foot soldiers, suicide bombers are primarily motivated by religion. The leaders - I don't know.

They were slaughtered because religion is a threat to core communist ideals. I'm not going to try to draw the line between what was done in the name of atheism and what was done in the name of anti-religion.He targeted and killed these people because they were religious and did not discriminate between religions. You can twist that however you like.
Why you would argue I am twisting anything is beyond me.

He targeted ANYTHING he viewed as a threat to his ideals... which was apparently everything. Education and the educated. Books, music, culture, marriage, money.............................................

Saying he targeted religion without mentioning he targeted so many other areas would lead to the impression of religion being a sole agenda instead of part of the larger agenda.

Totalitarian Dictators control all aspects of their societies by definition. That just happens to include religion.

He targeted ANYTHING he viewed as a threat to his ideals... which was apparently everything.

Saying he targeted religion without mentioning he targeted so many other areas would lead to the impression of religion being a sole agenda instead of part of the larger agenda.
It obviously wasn't everything. There was a lot of killing, but the majority was concentrated on specific groups: ethnicities, religious, educated.He did not kill ethnic Chinese because they were Christian or Buddhist, he killed them because they were Chinese. He did not discriminate between religions (or lack thereof). Likewise, he did not kill Christians, Buddhists, Muslims, etc. because they were Chinese, he killed them because he wanted to eradicate religion. He did not discriminate between ethnic background.

He certainly did not try to slaughter everyone that was married.

He also targeted anything and anyone educated or associated with education. He abolished marriage and money. Property.... books, music.
How can you say that?

Or maybe you should read your Marx, all of it went in a box together, but none of it was possible without eliminating religion.

In the condition of the proletariat, those of old society at large are already virtually swamped. The proletarian is without property; his relation to his wife and children has no longer anything in common with the bourgeois family relations; modern industry labour, modern subjection to capital, the same in England as in France, in America as in Germany, has stripped him of every trace of national character. Law, morality, religion, are to him so many bourgeois prejudices, behind which lurk in ambush just as many bourgeois interests.

Probably not, but his actions are associated with atheism as equally as the actions of the Muslims in Paris are with Islam.
Swing and miss.
Just catching up on the events of the day. The guy yells out, "This is to avenge our prophet Muhammad!" as he jumps in the car and speeds off. How is that not associated with Islam exactly? If the guy clearly yells out what he's doing it in the name of how can you possibly interpret it any other way?

He targeted ANYTHING he viewed as a threat to his ideals... which was apparently everything.

It obviously wasn't everything. There was a lot of killing, but the majority was concentrated on specific groups: ethnicities, religious, educated.He did not kill ethnic Chinese because they were Christian or Buddhist, he killed them because they were Chinese. He did not discriminate between religions (or lack thereof). Likewise, he did not kill Christians, Buddhists, Muslims, etc. because they were Chinese, he killed them because he wanted to eradicate religion. He did not discriminate between ethnic background.

You are nitpicking for some reason.

Of course he didn't slaughter married people, or those who owned property, or books, or money. He abolished their marriage, destroyed their books, took their property and money.

The point being is religion was not the target.. it was merely one facet of the plan to indoctrinate the children.

proninja said:
2. Doesn't matter. Without their irrational belief in the supernatural would they still have committed this act(s)?
Probably. Most people are self serving, and those that justify their awful actions by their religion are just looking for a way to justify what they wanted to do anyway for some other reason.
I don't buy that. The only thing I think of that would be slightly similar is political motivation. Let's say that there was some political turmoil in France and this magazine published something that one side found offensive.

What, in your opinion, did these terrorists "want to do anyway" if it wasn't about religion?

proninja said:
2. Doesn't matter. Without their irrational belief in the supernatural would they still have committed this act(s)?
Probably. Most people are self serving, and those that justify their awful actions by their religion are just looking for a way to justify what they wanted to do anyway for some other reason.
I don't buy that. The only thing I think of that would be slightly similar is political motivation. Let's say that there was some political turmoil in France and this magazine published something that one side found offensive.

What, in your opinion, did these terrorists "want to do anyway" if it wasn't about religion?
Kill a bunch of people to gain the respect of their colleagues? :shrug:

Swing and miss.
What tenants of atheism were the foundation for the actions of murder?
Kind of the point.
So which ones??
:wall: None. Just like the tenants of Islam that led to the Paris incident. Making an association of all religion to that is like making an association of Pol-pot's actions and atheism.

THERE ISN'T AN ASSOCIATION!!!

I thought people around here were smarter than this, but I guess when discussing a pre-conceived bias, its harder to get through.

I mean for Pete's sake, I'm a Christian defending Islam. That alone should give you guys some hesitation when reading my points.
With all due respect, you aren't making any sense.

proninja said:

I would go down the middle and say they are obviously violent people, but that they would need a justification to do something this heinous. Religion seems to fit the bill nicely, certainly better than politics and likely nationalism or the like.

Hard to trump "an invisible god told me to"... as we see here, claims regarding invisible beings are hard to pin down for debate.

Of course he didn't slaughter married people, or those who owned property, or books, or money. He abolished their marriage, destroyed their books, took their property and money.

The point being is religion was not the target.. it was merely one facet of the plan to indoctrinate the children.
It wasnt the target, it was a target. He didn't just murder indiscriminately. He had specific targets.He declared the eradication of religion as a goal and targeted religious people for death (and was very successful at it). The idea that those people weren't actually targeted for their religion just seems silly to me.

:shrug:

I guess we are just never going to agree.

proninja said:

Kill a bunch of people to gain the respect of their colleagues? :shrug:
Could be. But then you have to ask "what do their colleagues" believe?

It wasnt the target, it was a target. He didn't just murder indiscriminately. He had specific targets.

He declared the eradication of religion as a goal and targeted religious people for death (and was very successful at it). The idea that those people weren't actually targeted for their religion is just silly.

I have fairly clearly stated and agreed that they were targeted for their religion. :shrug:

I think you are missing the why... which is what we are after here. It wasn't an atheist decree - it was simply to gain control over the hearts and minds of his people (specifically the children). In other words he targeted religion for the same reason he targeted everything else, he eradicated Buddhism for the same reason he burned books, ended Christian life for the same reason he abolished marriage and property rights... they stood between him and his ideals so he removed them.

It wasnt the target, it was a target. He didn't just murder indiscriminately. He had specific targets.He declared the eradication of religion as a goal and targeted religious people for death (and was very successful at it). The idea that those people weren't actually targeted for their religion is just silly.

I have fairly clearly stated and agreed that they were targeted for their religion. :shrug:

I think you are missing the why... which is what we are after here. It wasn't an atheist decree - it was simply to gain control over the hearts and minds of his people (specifically the children). In other words he targeted religion for the same reason he targeted everything else, he eradicated Buddhism for the same reason he burned books, ended Christian life for the same reason he abolished marriage and property rights... they stood between him and his ideals so he removed them.
One of which is atheism. He was a communist dictator. Atheism is a core tenet of communism. Oppression and slaughter of religious people was part of Stalin's reign, Mao's reign, and Pol-Pot's reign. The Chinese government is still devoutly atheist. Thankfully they don't murder people for it anymore, but you won't find a party official that isn't atheist.When nationalism is concerned lack of religion can be just as powerful a force as religion. It can be used as a force of oppression on a populace in the same way.

One of which is atheism. He was a communist dictator. Atheism is a core tenet of communism. Oppression and slaughter of religious people was part of Stalin's reign, Mao's reign, and Pol-Pot's reign. The Chinese government is still devoutly atheist. Thankfully they don't murder people for it anymore, but you won't find a party official that isn't atheist.When nationalism is concerned lack of religion can be just as powerful a force as religion. It can be used as a force of oppression on a populace in the same way.
Wrong, it's a tenet of Marxism. For example, the Jewish kibbutz is religious communism, as are the Amish. Communism has almost always become totalitarianism and totalitarian governments don't want the threat of people worshiping something greater than the state, which religion represents.

Wrong, it's a tenet of Marxism. For example, the Jewish kibbutz is religious communism, as are the Amish. Communism has almost always become totalitarianism and totalitarian governments don't want the threat of people worshiping something greater than the state, which religion represents.
As if this thread needed to get more pedantic.

One of which is atheism. He was a communist dictator. Atheism is a core tenet of communism. Oppression and slaughter of religious people was part of Stalin's reign, Mao's reign, and Pol-Pot's reign. The Chinese government is still devoutly atheist. Thankfully they don't murder people for it anymore, but you won't find a party official that isn't atheist.

When nationalism is concerned lack of religion can be just as powerful a force as religion. It can be used as a force of oppression on a populace in the same way.
As if this thread needed to get more pedantic.
Agreed, Jayrod comes in here and drops the Pol Pot reference, runs off like a little biych and the next 24 hours are spent on the single worst case against athism that ever existed.

If it weren't for pedanticism and semantics 95% of ffa threads would go nowhere.

Show some respect.

Go back to the last time you asked me that question. It's like Groundhog Day in here.
I did...there was no answer there either. You're right...like Groundhog Day. No answer here either. Interesting
Jesus dude, what's wrong with you?

beliefs = faith = cop-out

beliefs = written and preached works that are historically and factually inaccurate = evidence for the dark side
:lol: Ok....care to get any more specific with what "written and preached works" are? Never heard that term before.

Regarding this Pol Pot, Marxism discussion, isn't it possible to be an atheist and not be anti-religion? :shrug:
Of course. Most atheists go through their lives peacefully without worrying too much about the religious people around them. A few -- like Mao for example -- go off the rails and kill a bunch of people, but those are the minority. Similarly, some religious folks go nuts and murder a bunch of people. Theoretically, nobody should have any problem acknowledging any of this.

I'm trying to get you to dig deeper and seek out the truth of whether there really is a god or not and not just be satisfied with your personal definitions and understanding. God wants you to know he is there and to look past just what your senses can touch and your mind can comprehend. As a follower of God I want you to know him as I do and to believe. Not for myself, but for you because God loves you and therefore I do.
Yeah, I've believed all that stuff before. It felt good, and I'm sincerely jealous, in many ways, of people who can still believe it. If I ever end up believing it again, however, it will not be because of unsound intellectual arguments like Platinga's. It will probably be because of a strong emotional response to the loving bonds of a community of believers who trust and support each other and sing songs about how wonderful God is. Or something like that. The point is that faith is not won by logic -- especially not by bad logic, which is pretty much the only kind that can support it. (If it were supported by good logic, it wouldn't be faith.) Faith, to the contrary, is won by emotion.That's not a bad thing. I'm not anti-faith, and I'm not anti-religion. (I am anti some religions, or some aspects of religions.) On the whole, I think most religious communities do a lot of good for a lot of people. They have a lot of really wacky beliefs, some of which are harmful (e.g., the anti-gay stuff). But they also motivate people to love and to forgive and to be charitable. If I were trying to convert people to Christianity, that's what I would emphasize. A single good deed, done in the name of your religion, is worth more than a thousand flawed syllogisms, IMO.

Attempts to justify Christian beliefs by using reason and evidence might make sense to people who are already Christians. Such people might be sufficiently biased in favor of such arguments to find them persuasive. But to a non-believer, such justifications will always fail, and anyway seem to miss the point. Nobody has ever kneeled and prayed and asked Jesus into their heart based on a careful weighing of the evidence. They've done so by letting go of such limiting trifles as mere evidence. It follows that doing apologetics a la Platinga is nearly always futile -- although at least Platinga gets paid for it.
Beautiful post and I agree with 99% of it.I hope you find God again and will try to stick to the advice I've bolded above.
Agree, it was a beautiful post.Jayrod, I hope you someday find you can stick to the advice you bolded without a god in your life.
Why does it matter? As an atheist, honestly, why do you care why?
Why do you care whether or not Maurile finds God again?
Because I believe in God and the Bible and I desire that all people know God for who he is. Basically because I care about him as a fellow human being and especially since I have had interaction with him on the forum so I kind of "know" him and I'd rather meet him in heaven someday than not.
And I don't believe in God or the Bible and I desire that all people come to the realization that it's all a big fantasy. Basically because I care about my fellow human beings and want them to live in reality, not fantasy.

You believe what you want, I'll believe what I want. I only jumped in because you started to proselytize to Maurile. So, I returned the favor. :)

He's talking about some sort of "probability" here. His word, not mine. Then the dance began. I THINK he's saying "since I see no scientific evidence of God in the little sliver I know, it's highly likely I won't find it in the huge slice left to explore either". So I was stupid enough to ask if that's what he meant. A simple yes or no would suffice, yet I got what you have above. It didn't even get to the point of theology, which is new...pretty funny.
The answer was no, see below. Not a simple "no", but, pretty simple none the less.

tonydead said:
Probability percentage is calculated from the known. I was talking about what you bolded, something we know a lot about, not the entire universe. That probability doesn't change by saying the universe is really really big.
So what I bolded was this:
When it comes to Christianity or any of the current religions whose beliefs can be observed and studied against science; the probability of their God being true is so low you might as well label me an atheist.
I disagree with the bolded completely. We're talking past each other.
I guess we are. Belief to me is and has always been:confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof:

confidence; faith; trust:

a religious tenet or tenets; religious creed or faith:

So when I say belief that's what I'm using as frame of reference. There are some dictionaries that tie "opinion" to belief. Perhaps that's what you are doing? For conversation like this it's easier if opinion is opinion and belief is belief....especially if one is really interested in understanding the theological side. Belief in the Bible is not analogous with opinion. It's always used in the context I outline here.
I'd say belief is a mental state that something is true. It could be based on evidence or not. If it's not, I'd call that faith.
And thus part of the problem of these threads. I'm not saying one definition is better than another. I'm just saying we need to understand where the other is coming from when they use the terms. To me, what you describe is "opinion". To me it's incorrect to say "I believe the earth is flat". It's demonstrably wrong and can be proven within the realm of science. Rather, it's your opinion that the earth is flat and you're ignoring the mounds of evidence to the contrary. Again, not an argument for one over the other. Just trying to explain what the difference between belief and opinion are in these discussions when you're talking to someone of faith. Faith is typically a confidence level in one's belief and is generally really only needed in discussions like this. It would probably help if I used "confidence" in statements rather than faith. "I have faith that God exists" vs "I have confidence that God exists" etc.

:lol: Ok....care to get any more specific with what "written and preached works" are? Never heard that term before.
The term "written" is the past particle of write. Have you heard of write? The definition of write is to form text in letters or numbers on a surface with a pen or pencil etc., to produce a writing.

The term "works" used and a noun is the result of work. Have you heard of work? The definition of work is the physical or mental effort or activity directed toward the production or accomplishment of something.

You put those two terms together to form the phrase "written works". Here are some examples: click here

Do the same thing for the term "preached". Preached is the past tense of preach. The definition of preach is to proclaim or make known by sermon, to advocate or inculcate.

The term "written" is the past particle of write. Have you heard of write? The definition of write is to form text in letters or numbers on a surface with a pen or pencil etc., to produce a writing.

The term "works" used and a noun is the result of work. Have you heard of work? The definition of work is the physical or mental effort or activity directed toward the production or accomplishment of something.

You put those two terms together to form the phrase "written works". Here are some examples: click here

Do the same thing for the term "preached". Preached is the past tense of preach. The definition of preach is to proclaim or make known by sermon, to advocate or inculcate.
I can't help but pick up on the irony :lmao: I didn't figure you'd want to talk about actual sceanrios...keep on keepin' on :thumbup:

tonydead said:
The Commish said:

If you want a specific example take Ether 9:19 of the Book of Mormon; "And they also had horses, and asses, and there were elephants and cureloms and cumoms: all of which were useful to man, and more especially the elephants and cureloms and cumoms."

Science proves that the only elephant species to have existed in the Americas, the mammoth and mastodon, died out centuries before Book of Mormon time line. Ironically, surviving accounts of the circus in Colonial America document that wild animals were first brought over from Africa and put on display for an admission change in the 1800s. The same time period as the Mormon prophet Joseph Smith wrote the Book of Mormon.

I ask myself what is more probable; that our scientists and historians completely missed herds and species of elephants in our archaeological record or Joseph Smith became aware of these fascinating new wild animals and decided to include them in his fantastic story?

Jayrod said:
Probably not, but his actions are associated with atheism as equally as the actions of the Muslims in Paris are with Islam.Being something in name is not the same thing as being that thing. A "Muslim" who kills a cartoonist, a "Christian" who kills an abortion doctor and an atheist dictator who kills millions are all alike in that it is their sick minds causing the problem, not their religion (or lack thereof).
Wow. That is a spectacularly wrong statement.

Ok...I'll take your word for it. I know nothing about the Book of Mormon. Thanks for the input :lol:
It's not about the Book of Mormon. It was about probability. The entire discourse was trying to help you understand my statement below. Remember? You don't have to know anything about the truth of the example I provided. You just have to be able to conceptualize how it illustrates my statement.

Jayrod said:
Probably not, but his actions are associated with atheism as equally as the actions of the Muslims in Paris are with Islam.Being something in name is not the same thing as being that thing. A "Muslim" who kills a cartoonist, a "Christian" who kills an abortion doctor and an atheist dictator who kills millions are all alike in that it is their sick minds causing the problem, not their religion (or lack thereof).
Wow. That is a spectacularly wrong statement.
[SIZE=10.5pt]“Hey! We avenged the Prophet Muhammad! We killed Charlie Hebdo,” one of the men shouted in French, according to a video shot from a nearby building and broadcast on French TV. Other video showed two gunmen in black at a crossroads who appeared to fire down one of the streets. A cry of “Allahu akbar!” — Arabic for “God is great”— could be heard among the gunshots.[/SIZE]

Users who are viewing this thread