What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Atheism Irrational? NYTimes Opinion Piece (2 Viewers)

I am somewhat shocked at the level of ignorance and bigotry displayed here. Then again, it is Fox News... :rolleyes:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2015/04/fox-friends-promotes-discrimination-against-atheists
That's something I will never understand...why does one have to make sure everyone knows "I don't want to work with X because he/she is an atheist". Just decline to work with them and move on. Do we really believe this isn't already common practice in 99% of situations already? So dumb, but as you say, it's Fox News so.....

I am somewhat shocked at the level of ignorance and bigotry displayed here. Then again, it is Fox News... :rolleyes: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2015/04/fox-friends-promotes-discrimination-against-atheists
That's something I will never understand...why does one have to make sure everyone knows "I don't want to work with X because he/she is an atheist". Just decline to work with them and move on. Do we really believe this isn't already common practice in 99% of situations already? So dumb, but as you say, it's Fox News so.....
Are you saying it's ok to decline to work with someone because they're an atheist, just so long as you don't verbalize that's your reason?

I am somewhat shocked at the level of ignorance and bigotry displayed here. Then again, it is Fox News... :rolleyes: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2015/04/fox-friends-promotes-discrimination-against-atheists
Are you saying it's ok to decline to work with someone because they're an atheist, just so long as you don't verbalize that's your reason?
I didn't say it was ok. I said it's what happens....and not just with atheists. It happens all the time for all kinds of "illegal" reasons. This is why I don't get incredibly bent out of shape over "laws" like this existing. They're really there (nowadays) in name only.

When does a job applicant's religion come up in an employment interview?

I've been at my current job for four years and have zero idea about any of my co-worker's religious beliefs. Who talks about this stuff on the job? Sometimes I think I live and work in the only sane part of the country. And we're nucking futz.

I've been at my current job for four years and have zero idea about any of my co-worker's religious beliefs. Who talks about this stuff on the job? Sometimes I think I live and work in the only sane part of the country. And we're nucking futz.
This is true, but we love to argue hypotheticals here. Real life is generally quite boring.

BTW, love the new sig. :thumbup:

CowboysFromHell said:
roadkill1292 said:

This is true, but we love to argue hypotheticals here. Real life is generally quite boring.

I have had people bring it up in interviews and be pretty intense about it. Wanted everyone to know they were Christian and how they wanted to work with Christians. Obviously if I am doing the interview that is the companies last concern. Those people didn't get hired.

CowboysFromHell said:
roadkill1292 said:

I have had people bring it up in interviews and be pretty intense about it. Wanted everyone to know they were Christian and how they wanted to work with Christians. Obviously if I am doing the interview that is the companies last concern. Those people didn't get hired.
Not hiring them is the sane thing to do, obviously. But the same BS may work on some evangelical employer down the block.

CowboysFromHell said:
roadkill1292 said:

Not hiring them is the sane thing to do, obviously. But the same BS may work on some evangelical employer down the block.
Oh absolutely. I know companies that make no secret of wanting Christian workers. They put it on their jobs ads.

How am I just finding out about this?

Pope Stephen II forged a letter from St. Peter in heaven to convince King Pepin of the Franks to defend Rome.

THE FORGED LETTER OF ST. PETER​
To this alleged gift Pepin was induced not alone by the sentiment of guilty gratitude to Zacharias and Stephen, the latter of whom crowned him King of the Franks in 751; for further persuasion His Holiness Stephen II procured from the Vatican Forgery Mill the identical autograph letter of St. Peter himself, prophetically addressed "To the King of the Franks," and so mystically worded that: "When Stephen II performed the ceremony of anointing Pepin and his son at St. Denis, it was St. Peter who was regarded as the mystical giver of the secular power"! (CE. xi, 663.) This cunning Papal forgery and fraud is thus described by a high authority: "The pontiff dictated his letter in the name of the apostle Peter, closely imitating his epistles, and speaking in a language which implied that he was possessed of an authority to anoint or dethrone kings, and to perform the offices, not of a messenger, of a teacher sent from God, which is the highest characteristic of an apostle, but of a delegated minister of His power and justice." (Historians' History of the World, vol. viii, p. 557.)

Also: "The Frankish king received the title of the former representative of the Byzantine Empire in Italy, i.e. 'Patricius,' and was also assigned the duty of protecting the privileges of the Holy See. ... After the acknowledgment of his territorial claims the pope was in reality a ruling sovereign, but he had placed himself under the protection of the Frankish ruler, and had sworn that he and his people would be true to the king" (CE. xi, 663),-the divine birthright thus swapped for a mess of political potage: for over a thousand years since it has been a mess indeed. Thus by conspiracy, fraud, and unrighteous conquest was laid the foundation of the sacred "Patrimony of Peter," and the unholy league between the papacy and the French kings, which reached full fruition in the holy massacres of the Albigenses, of the Vendee, and of St. Bartholomew.

Last edited by a moderator:
So yesterday was Openly Secular Day. :tumbleweed:

I like the concept as I think there is a lot of progress that needs to happen to make it acceptable to be a person of logic and reason (wild I know).

I couldn’t share on FB for family reasons, but I did send a note out to several friends referencing Openly Secular day and a brief summary of how I got where I am today. It was helpful to me, I got some good responses, and I can’t help but think maybe a few friends are in similar boat.

I like the concept as I think there is a lot of progress that needs to happen to make it acceptable to be a person of logic and reason (wild I know).

I couldn’t share on FB for family reasons, but I did send a note out to several friends referencing Openly Secular day and a brief summary of how I got where I am today. It was helpful to me, I got some good responses, and I can’t help but think maybe a few friends are in similar boat.
One of the first steps for progress would be coming out of the closet.

I couldnt share on FB for family reasons, but I did send a note out to several friends referencing Openly Secular day and a brief summary of how I got where I am today. It was helpful to me, I got some good responses, and I cant help but think maybe a few friends are in similar boat.
I'm lucky in that I come from a family full of heathens and nonbelievers. But if you come from a religious family it can be very hard. I know some folks who came out and are regularly cut out of family functions.

I couldnt share on FB for family reasons, but I did send a note out to several friends referencing Openly Secular day and a brief summary of how I got where I am today. It was helpful to me, I got some good responses, and I cant help but think maybe a few friends are in similar boat.
I'm lucky in that I come from a family full of heathens and nonbelievers. But if you come from a religious family it can be very hard. I know some folks who came out and are regularly cut out of family functions.
I think a major problem is simple lack of knowledge by the average joe on what exactly it means to be a non-believer. A lot of people think it makes you a devil worshiper, or someone who has no morals. Getting past that stigma is the biggest battle. I think most family members would accept it if they understood it.

:goodposting: I refrained from posting something publicly as well.

Man, I'm sorry you guys feel the need to hide this.

If there is a level of judgement and criticism that leads to excluding/shunning, that is not Christ-like at all. Sadly, this seems to be very common among "Christians". When the church becomes more like a club where you're either in or you're out it loses the purpose that Jesus gave it.

I have a couple of cousins who I know are atheist, but they are welcomed with open arms at every family function.

I know of some people who belong to the group that coined "coming out of the closet" and they experienced the exact same thing.

Families who cut off family members who don't by into their religion that just adds to the growing list of reasons why the overall affect of religion on our species has been negative.

If there is a level of judgement and criticism that leads to excluding/shunning, that is not Christ-like at all. Sadly, this seems to be very common among "Christians". When the church becomes more like a club where you're either in or you're out it loses the purpose that Jesus gave it.

I have a couple of cousins who I know are atheist, but they are welcomed with open arms at every family function.
HEY EVERYONE I LIKED A JAYROD POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Jayrod.

I think timing plays a big factor. My brother knows. But my parents are in their 70s and we don't talk about just all that much of anything. In my view telling them would almost be this weird grandstanding thing like "look at me". Telling them would only serve to hurt them IMO. But I became an atheist in my 30s, married with kids. If I were in college or single, had a need to explain why I don't want to get married in a church or somesuch, well, I would be OK being open with them.

The other prolly bigger hurdle is my in laws. I was married in the Catholic church, promise to raise the kids catholic etc. It was hard telling my very Catholic wife but she knows. But my MIL and FIL are two of the most religious people I know. They would (will someday?) be beside themselves. And I could conceivably seeing it lead down a road leading to divorce for me and/or impairing my relationship with my daughters.

I sent the following email out to some GBs.

Today April 23[SIZE=small]rd[/SIZE] is Openly Secular Day. It is a campaign designed to encourage those who do not adhere to religion or are having doubts about what they were taught as kids about God to feel comfortable sharing their experiences. I am an atheist and this note is my attempt to #tell (more than) one person.

I was raised in the Lutheran church and married (wife) in the catholic church. I started having doubts generally speaking shortly after age 30 (its not a clear distinction..for many there is not some big event but rather logic creeping in over time). In my case, beautifully in my opinion, I started to ask myself questions through simple things the kids would ask about God/heaven/etc. I went through the emotions of fear, anger, denial, finally allowed myself to explore what I was feeling and basically just over time determined that there are leaps of faith required in Christianity (and all religions) that I was no longer capable of taking.

There are many resources, authors, youtube debates, comedy sketches, and endless materials that have helped with my journey and are otherwise available to anyone undergoing a similar path. Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens (RIP), Seth Andrews for authors. George Carlin, Joe Rogan, Seth McFarlane (the Simpsons are full of jabs at religion), reddit reading list, reddit forum I am drawing a blank at all of the influences. Science basically! Science is amazing. The earth is a beautiful place. The universe is 13.8 Billion years old. Earth is 4.5 Billion years old. The human species is in the 200,000 year old range. These are beautiful facts about our time on this awesome planet!

I go to church with (wife) and the kids. She knows I am an atheist..it has not been easy. That’s something we will continue to work through as best we can. The kids do not know..but I really want to teach them to be freethinkers when they get older. Now really..but I cant. Its tough. Thus this note! My parents do not know.. I am not sure if they ever will.. that’s a tough decision I don’t have the perfect answer for right now. My inlaws either.

I am still the same person. Coming to this conclusion has been a journey but ultimately has proven very liberating. It feels good to share! Let me know if you have any questions and thank you for reading. I encourage you to study and spend time discerning your own faith. My goal is not to “deconvert” anyone..but your belief system should also not be above reproach. Learn what you believe! Ask questions!

No need to respond, but if you choose to react or respond I’d love to read it and discuss. Thanks so much for reading!

Buck

(phone number)

Isn't religion kind of too private to discuss with your families? It never comes up in mine; for all I know there's all kinds of fundies, atheists and Rastafarians who show up at family functions.

Man...I've never experienced or know anyone who experiences things like this. These are some dysfunctional situations for sure.

Man...I've never experienced or know anyone who experiences things like this. These are some dysfunctional situations for sure.
No kidding. When my wife and I got married, I told both sides of the family that if they wanted to say something during the wedding that was great with the caveat there would be absolutely no mention of religion, God, Jesus, Allah, church, any "holy" book, or prayers. Our officiant was secular as well. I assumed my stance on religion was pretty clear and, while I am sure some were annoyed, I wasn't shunned from Christmas dinner.

In my experience it's the families with a strong fundamentalist bent that are the hardest on nonbelievers in their midst. Fundamentalists are really the bane of every religion IMO.

No kidding. When my wife and I got married, I told both sides of the family that if they wanted to say something during the wedding that was great with the caveat there would be absolutely no mention of religion, God, Jesus, Allah, church, any "holy" book, or prayers. Our officiant was secular as well. I assumed my stance on religion was pretty clear and, while I am sure some were annoyed, I wasn't shunned from Christmas dinner.
Yeah my wife and I had a secular service. Officiated by a federal judge.

Timing IMO.

I didn't decide to try the whole atheism thing out until after I was married and have kids. Different than being atheist all along.

We all know you follow the Faith of the Seven.

In my experience it's the families with a strong fundamentalist bent that are the hardest on nonbelievers in their midst. Fundamentalists are really the bane of every religion IMO.
I guess I've lost touch with what "fundamentalist" means these days. In the world I live in, there is a shift occurring that gives me hope for the future. Even within the churches, there is a significant focus being placed on the WWJD approach. It seems to bring things into perspective. I have people in my family that are at kinds of different places in their beliefs / non beliefs, but the reality is, they are family and that's the part we have control over. That's what we focus on and we love each other before anything else.

I guess I've lost touch with what "fundamentalist" means these days. In the world I live in, there is a shift occurring that gives me hope for the future. Even within the churches, there is a significant focus being placed on the WWJD approach. It seems to bring things into perspective. I have people in my family that are at kinds of different places in their beliefs / non beliefs, but the reality is, they are family and that's the part we have control over. That's what we focus on and we love each other before anything else.
New Pope has been preaching more inclusion. While imperfect he has done a good job of outreach to those formerly looked down on by congregations.

New Pope has been preaching more inclusion. While imperfect he has done a good job of outreach to those formerly looked down on by congregations.
He's like McDonalds deciding to serve breakfast all day - desperate times call for desperate measures.

Oddly enough, I don't see the shift in Catholics. No offense to Catholics here of course.

Oddly enough, I don't see the shift in Catholics. No offense to Catholics here of course.
American Catholics in general are already more liberal than most other countries so less shifting to do here perhaps.

He's like McDonalds deciding to serve breakfast all day - desperate times call for desperate measures.
I don't think its that at all. I think he believes that is Christ's teaching.
I suppose it was inevitable that they'd finally find one.

Seriously, 9/11 was so long ago and those ISIS people just a blip on the radar.

Seriously, 9/11 was so long ago and those ISIS people just a blip on the radar.
Every religion has it's fundamentalist wing.

To me a fundamentalist is someone with a very militant, very conservative, literal interpretation of their religions laws or texts. They actively fight against modernization of any theological philosophy often taking it into the secular sphere by enacting laws to prevent behaviors that run against their interpretation of their religious code.

I'm an outed atheist in my personal life, but totally in the closet at work. I'm pretty sure I'd lose my job quickly if it came to light at work.

I'm an outed atheist in my personal life, but totally in the closet at work. I'm pretty sure I'd lose my job quickly if it came to light at work.
Career ending.

I don't think its that at all. I think he believes that is Christ's teaching.
I agree. New pope is a total stud. Best pope of my lifetime imo.

Career ending.
I work in Defense, so it is. Religion is still a big deal over here, separation of Church and State isn't a reality.

Career ending.
I work in Defense, so it is. Religion is still a big deal over here, separation of Church and State isn't a reality.
I work in Healthcare in Texas.. my largest customers are Baptist, Methodist, Seton, St Davids, Christus Santa Rosa, Catholic Health Initiatives, Adventist, etc,etc..... :lol:

A while back I threw into this thread the idea that among other situations, jail is one place where people are likely to "find god."

I just thought this article was on point with that...

Are Prisoners Less Likely To Be Atheists?Data on religion in U.S. prisons is hard to find and usually comes from biased sources. Back in 1997, a blog post appeared on HolySmoke.org, a now-dormant anti-religion website. Beneath the headline, an author using the name Rod Swift published statistics apparently received from the Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) showing the religious affiliations of inmates. One number jumped out at Swift: 0.2 percent of the prison population was atheist.
I;m not sure if that means that atheists are less likely to commit crimes or if people get religious once jailed...

Users who are viewing this thread