What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Atheism Irrational? NYTimes Opinion Piece (1 Viewer)

Anyone denying the possibility that a higher power exists is naive IMO.
And arrogant to boot. Basically saying that the human race is the pinnacle of evolution. I doubt it. We can't even get instant replay figured out.
A lack of belief in god does not assume that the human race in the pinnacle of evolution at all.

Not sure how thinking we're not all that different from the rest of life on this planet is more arrogant than thinking we are created in the image of a god who rules the universe.

Agnosticism is a philosophically strong position. Atheism is not, because it asserts the non existence of something which we lack the knowledge to assert. Our knowledge is finite; to assert the non existence of anything in the universe which we know not of, is to go beyond our knowledge.
Asserting God certainly doesn't exist is no more absurd that asserting that God certainly does exist.
And vice versa.
No, asserting the latter is far more absurd
:goodposting:

Both are flawed assertions, but those asserting there is an "all powerful magic being up in the sky" are a going a LITTLE farther out on a limb than the "There is NO an all powerful magic being up in the sky" crowd. :lol:
Really? Science approximates it's knowledge of the universe to be around 3-5%. For the sake of argument, we'll say we know 10%. That leaves 90% of the universe for there to be a God lurking and doing his thing right?

Agnosticism is a philosophically strong position. Atheism is not, because it asserts the non existence of something which we lack the knowledge to assert. Our knowledge is finite; to assert the non existence of anything in the universe which we know not of, is to go beyond our knowledge.
Asserting God certainly doesn't exist is no more absurd that asserting that God certainly does exist.
And vice versa.

Both are flawed assertions, but those asserting there is an "all powerful magic being up in the sky" are a going a LITTLE farther out on a limb than the "There is NO an all powerful magic being up in the sky" crowd. :lol:
Really? Science approximates it's knowledge of the universe to be around 3-5%. For the sake of argument, we'll say we know 10%. That leaves 90% of the universe for there to be a God lurking and doing his thing right?
By your own math, the non-magic crowd has a 10% advantage.

I am a religious person, and I don't argue that you should assign 100% certainty to anything.

Every religious person has their own level of uncertainty. You have those arguing that they are 100% certain that God is real. That's great for them if true, but I believe that most faithful people, including clergy themselves, have moments of doubt. But, at the end of the day, they still believe.

Likewise, atheists don't have to be 100% scientifically certain that there is no God. But if that is their prevailing belief, then I think the title 'atheist' applies.

Arguing that religious thinking and scientific thinking are mutually exclusive is disingenuous and, frankly, uninformed.
Good post, but being a religious and scientific person requires ignoring either certain parts of your religious text or parts of science.
Or you read religious texts as analogies rather than literal historical accounts...

I am a religious person, and I don't argue that you should assign 100% certainty to anything.

Every religious person has their own level of uncertainty. You have those arguing that they are 100% certain that God is real. That's great for them if true, but I believe that most faithful people, including clergy themselves, have moments of doubt. But, at the end of the day, they still believe.

Likewise, atheists don't have to be 100% scientifically certain that there is no God. But if that is their prevailing belief, then I think the title 'atheist' applies.

Arguing that religious thinking and scientific thinking are mutually exclusive is disingenuous and, frankly, uninformed.
Good post, but being a religious and scientific person requires ignoring either certain parts of your religious text or parts of science.
Or you read religious texts as analogies rather than literal historical accounts...
I've don't fully understand this idea. Genesis 1, for example, is an analogy for what?

I've don't fully understand this idea. Genesis 1, for example, is an analogy for what?
The creation of the world.

Growing up and losing your innocence

Wait are you talking about the specific creation story of what God did on what day, or Adam and Eve?

The idea is that you don't need to necessarily believe in every single historical account in the Bible to get the lessons contained therein.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agnosticism is a philosophically strong position. Atheism is not, because it asserts the non existence of something which we lack the knowledge to assert. Our knowledge is finite; to assert the non existence of anything in the universe which we know not of, is to go beyond our knowledge. Whether that is the non existence of a particle, or a corner of the universe where our physical laws do not apply, or even somewhere where something can travel faster than the speed of light, or other universes with different physical laws, is beyond our capacity to assert. We cannot assert the non-existence of those with absolute certainty. We just don't know.
I assert with absolute certainty that nowhere in our universe exists a married bachelor.

Asserting there are no gods, is only a little more reasonable than asserting there are. Neither is a logical argument in my mind, as it is neither provable nor disprovable.
If we define a god as an entity that merits our worship, I submit that gods are very much like married bachelors -- i.e., their existence can be ruled out because their defining characteristics are impossible to satisfy. (I believe that worship, the complete submission of one's will to another's, is morally irresponsible, and thus that no entity can ever merit our worship.)

You can know absolutely that all religious texts that have existed to date are factually inaccurate, and in fact make very little sense.

But no, as long as we don't know 100% how life came to be on this planet, we cannot take an absolute position on the existence of some creative force that exists outside our current understanding of natural law.
We know for a fact that some creative forces exist outside our current understanding of natural law. Gravity, for example. I see no reason to refer to any such forces as "gods."

Wait are you talking about the specific creation story of what God did on what day, or Adam and Eve?

The idea is that you don't need to necessarily believe in every single historical account in the Bible to get the lessons contained therein.
Genesis 1New International Version (NIV)
The Beginning1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

6 And God said, “Let there be a vault between the waters to separate water from water.” 7 So God made the vault and separated the water under the vault from the water above it. And it was so. 8 God called the vault “sky.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day.

9 And God said, “Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear.” And it was so. 10 God called the dry ground “land,” and the gathered waters he called “seas.” And God saw that it was good.

11 Then God said, “Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds.” And it was so. 12 The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. 13 And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day.

14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.

20 And God said, “Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the vault of the sky.” 21 So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living thing with which the water teems and that moves about in it, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 22 God blessed them and said, “Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth.” 23 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fifth day.

24 And God said, “Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.” And it was so. 25 God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.

26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”
27 So God created mankind in his own image,

in the image of God he created them;

male and female he created them.
28 God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”

29 Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so.

31 God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.

Agnosticism is a philosophically strong position. Atheism is not, because it asserts the non existence of something which we lack the knowledge to assert. Our knowledge is finite; to assert the non existence of anything in the universe which we know not of, is to go beyond our knowledge. Whether that is the non existence of a particle, or a corner of the universe where our physical laws do not apply, or even somewhere where something can travel faster than the speed of light, or other universes with different physical laws, is beyond our capacity to assert. We cannot assert the non-existence of those with absolute certainty. We just don't know.
I assert with absolute certainty that nowhere in our universe exists a married bachelor.

Asserting there are no gods, is only a little more reasonable than asserting there are. Neither is a logical argument in my mind, as it is neither provable nor disprovable.
If we define a god as an entity that merits our worship, I submit that gods are very much like married bachelors -- i.e., their existence can be ruled out because their defining characteristics are impossible to satisfy. (I believe that worship, the complete submission of one's will to another's, is morally irresponsible, and thus that no entity can ever merit our worship.)
A lot of completely unsubstantiated opinions in this post.

Regarding semantics -- words like atheism, agnosticism, and so on can mean different things to different people. I don't think there's a single, uniquely reasonable way to use those words. Use them however you think is appropriate, but let others know how you're using them (if it's not clear from the context) so as to avoid confusion. And try not waste your breath criticizing other people's use of those words just because they depart from yours. It's boring. JMHO.

You can know absolutely that all religious texts that have existed to date are factually inaccurate, and in fact make very little sense.

But no, as long as we don't know 100% how life came to be on this planet, we cannot take an absolute position on the existence of some creative force that exists outside our current understanding of natural law.
We know for a fact that some creative forces exist outside our current understanding of natural law. Gravity, for example. I see no reason to refer to any such forces as "gods."
What something is or isn't has nothing to do with what you choose to call it.

Without speaking for all atheists, I think it's fair to say that most atheists would agree with the following assertion: "It is irrational to hold a belief in the absence of evidence."
I think this is a difficult position to maintain. I think there are plenty of beliefs that are held quite rationally despite a complete lack of evidence for them. Our belief that Last Tuesdayism is wrong is one example.

Genesis 1New International Version (NIV)
The Beginning1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

6 And God said, “Let there be a vault between the waters to separate water from water.” 7 So God made the vault and separated the water under the vault from the water above it. And it was so. 8 God called the vault “sky.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day.

9 And God said, “Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear.” And it was so. 10 God called the dry ground “land,” and the gathered waters he called “seas.” And God saw that it was good.

11 Then God said, “Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds.” And it was so. 12 The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. 13 And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day.

14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.

20 And God said, “Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the vault of the sky.” 21 So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living thing with which the water teems and that moves about in it, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 22 God blessed them and said, “Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth.” 23 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fifth day.

24 And God said, “Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.” And it was so. 25 God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.

26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”
27 So God created mankind in his own image,

in the image of God he created them;

male and female he created them.
28 God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”

29 Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so.

31 God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.
This is boilerplate for any religion. All start with creation story.

But you mentioned it was an analogy. An analogy to what?

Edit: What I'm getting at is I can understand the position that 1) the bible was written by man and is fallible or 2) the bible is infallible. This "analogy" idea seems to be fence-sitting between the two.

It's a fable meant to impart a few key points. First, God created the universe and everything in it. Second, mankind plays a unique role in creation, having been specifically created in God's image. Finally, the physical world is positively good (a point that can be contrasted with Platonism, for example). It's not meant to be taken as literal history, because the author wasn't there to witness creation (unlike Luke, for example) and isn't claiming any special revelation (like John of Patmos, for example).

Edit: What I'm getting at is I can understand the position that 1) the bible was written by man and is fallible or 2) the bible is infallible. This "analogy" idea seems to be fence-sitting between the two.
The point is not to be a historical text but rather a group of stories that act as a spiritual guide.

So while the bible is best read as a series of analogies to real-world experience, it does not mean that every single story is meant to be an analogy.

The central idea follows 1 not 2. I wrote more but erased it as I have learned my lesson about sharing personal beliefs here.

Jayrod said:
Maurile Tremblay said:

That's strikingly wrong. I try to call things what they are. What something is and what I choose to call it are therefore intimately related.

Jayrod said:
Maurile Tremblay said:

That's strikingly wrong. I try to call things what they are. What something is and what I choose to call it are therefore intimately related.
Even you admit that you "try". And the relationship is entirely one way. The only relationship is that it is your explanation of what something is and has nothing to influence the essence of what that thing actually is. And in fact, your "try" could very well be way off base because of your limited or distorted understanding and therefore your calling something an incorrect name even based on your definition of that word. So therefore, what you choose to call something has nothing to do with what that thing actually is.

I don't see how any of that is "strikingly wrong".

Jayrod said:
Maurile Tremblay said:

Even you admit that you "try". And the relationship is entirely one way. The only relationship is that it is your explanation of what something is and has nothing to influence the essence of what that thing actually is. And in fact, your "try" could very well be way off base because of your limited or distorted understanding and therefore your calling something an incorrect name even based on your definition of that word. So therefore, what you choose to call something has nothing to do with what that thing actually is.

I'm going to call your angle here "strikingly odd".

The Commish said:
And vice versa.

My understanding of the Judeo-Christian God is that He exists outside of the universe. Isn't that correct?

Jayrod said:
Maurile Tremblay said:

To say that A has nothing to do with B is to say that they are uncorrelated. What something is and what I call it are very highly correlated. The correlation is less than one, but it's a helluva lot higher than "nothing to do with."

I agree with matuski that this tangent is odd.

Clifford said:
Juxtatarot said:
Clifford said:

The point is not to be a historical text but rather a group of stories that act as a spiritual guide.

So while the bible is best read as a series of analogies to real-world experience, it does not mean that every single story is meant to be an analogy.

The central idea follows 1 not 2. I wrote more but erased it as I have learned my lesson about sharing personal beliefs here.
I see. Ivan's points are similar. I was thinking the idea of an analogy or "not to be taken literally" was thought to be intended instead of human error.

Jayrod said:
Maurile Tremblay said:

To say that A has nothing to do with B is to say that they are uncorrelated. What something is and what I call it are very highly correlated. The correlation is less than one, but it's a helluva lot higher than "nothing to do with."

I agree with matuski that this tangent is odd.
Wow. Let me back track for you why I'm even bothering along this tangent:

1. You stated that you found no reason to refer to forces as gods

2. I stated that what something is has nothing to do with what you call it. To clarify, I was meaning its nature or essence isn't effected by your naming of it.

3. You said my statement was strikingly wrong and seem to be saying that what you call it is related to what you think it is.

4. I tried to clarify what I meant by stating that your relationship is entirely one way....in that your naming is effected by the thing but conversely the nature of the thing is in no way effected by your naming of it.

Ya fallah?

ETA: I find this important because it is a principle I find very useful in these kinds of debates and one I've included with my sig, "The truth is the truth no matter what anyone says does or believes and nothing can change that." Basically I developed this focus on truth seeking after hearing people spout Occum's Razor as if it were some kind of end all be all to arguments about God. Who cares what the simplest explanation is if its wrong? Why do I care what you call a thing if you are wrong? And even deeper what does anyone's opinion mean if its wrong? Truth is all that matters and rather than argue semantics or what you want to name something I'd rather try to get to the bottom of whether or not God exists and if he does, what does that mean for us.

At this point in my life, nothing could convince me that Jesus is not the son of God. I think a lot of people in Chritianity are wrong about a lot of things, myself included. But Jesus is legit, of that I'm sure.
That's just sad
I don't think its sad at all. I don't agree with him, but I'm not saddened when people look at world differently than I do and think/believe different things.Now, if this belief was leading Jayrod towards some obvious catestrophic mistake, I'd be saddened. But its not. He'll probably waste some time in Church on Sundays, but it'll make him feel good about himself and his family, so is that really time wasted? If he follows Jesus's example, he'll be a heck of a guy in my opinion.

I couldn't for the life of me find a way to believe what he does, but I'm certainly not saddened by it.
My criticism has nothing to do with religion, and I'm not saddened by people that have a different worldview.The statement "nothing could could convince me......" is sad regardless of how it finishes.

At this point in my life, nothing could convince me that Jesus is not the son of God. I think a lot of people in Chritianity are wrong about a lot of things, myself included. But Jesus is legit, of that I'm sure.
That's just sad
I don't think its sad at all. I don't agree with him, but I'm not saddened when people look at world differently than I do and think/believe different things.Now, if this belief was leading Jayrod towards some obvious catestrophic mistake, I'd be saddened. But its not. He'll probably waste some time in Church on Sundays, but it'll make him feel good about himself and his family, so is that really time wasted? If he follows Jesus's example, he'll be a heck of a guy in my opinion.

I couldn't for the life of me find a way to believe what he does, but I'm certainly not saddened by it.
My criticism has nothing to do with religion, and I'm not saddened by people that have a different worldview.The statement "nothing could could convince me......" is sad regardless of how it finishes.
What about "nothing could convince me to rape a woman." Do you find that sad?

That's just sad

:lmao: Yeah, that's the same thing. Exactly.

What if God himself appeared to you and stated "Jesus was not MY son. He was a prophet intrusted to speak my word but he was not my son. That was just a misunderstanding." You wouldn't change your mind?

That's just sad

:lmao: Yeah, that's the same thing. Exactly.

What if God himself appeared to you and stated "Jesus was not MY son. He was a prophet intrusted to speak my word but he was not my son. That was just a misunderstanding." You wouldn't change your mind?
Honestly I would be certain that being wasn't God.

See, I'm completely delusional.

Honestly I would be certain that being wasn't God.

This is an interesting response, Jayrod.

I've often wondered, what could change my mind about the existence of God (as you know, I'm an atheist.) My wife, who is a Christian, once asked me, "What if God appeared right in front of you and performed miracles. You'd believe then, wouldn't you?"

In fact, if that happened, I'd think I had gone insane.

My wife, who is a Christian, once asked me, "What if God appeared right in front of you and performed miracles. You'd believe then, wouldn't you?"
I've seen Penn & Teller perform miracles. It didn't strike me as a good reason to worship them. Performing miracles is pretty weak evidence of godhood, IMO.

My wife, who is a Christian, once asked me, "What if God appeared right in front of you and performed miracles. You'd believe then, wouldn't you?"
I've seen Penn & Teller perform miracles. It didn't strike me as a good reason to worship them. Performing miracles is pretty weak evidence of godhood, IMO.
If magic is all we've ever knownThen it's easy to miss what really goes on

But I've seen miracles in every way

And I see miracles everyday

Oceans spanning beyond my sight

And a million stars way above em at night

We don't have to be high to look in the sky

And know that's a miracle opened wide

Look at the mountains, trees, the seven seas

And everything chilling underwater, please

Hot lava, snow, rain and fog

Long neck giraffes, and pet cats and dogs

And I've seen eighty-five thousand people

All in one room, together as equals

Pure magic is the birth of my kids

I've seen #### that'll shock your eyelids

The sun and the moon, and even Mars

The Milky Way and ####### shooting stars

UFOs, a river flows

Plant a little seed and nature grows

Niagara falls and the pyramids

Everything you believed in as kids

####### rainbows after it rains

There's enough miracles here to blow your brains

I fed a fish to a pelican at Frisco bay

It tried to eat my cell phone, he ran away

And music is magic, pure and clean

You can feel it and hear it but it can't be seen

The Commish said:
And vice versa.

My understanding of the Judeo-Christian God is that He exists outside of the universe. Isn't that correct?
That really doesn't matter to the point attempting to be made. It's a philosophical perspective and is specific God irrelevant

I know not the same thing, but this conversation reminds me of this:

Matthew 16: "The Pharisees and Sadducees came to Jesus, wanting to trick him. So they asked him to show them a miracle from God.

[SIZE=.75em]2 [/SIZE]Jesus answered,[SIZE=.65em][a][/SIZE] “At sunset you say we will have good weather, because the sky is red. [SIZE=.75em]3 [/SIZE]And in the morning you say that it will be a rainy day, because the sky is dark and red. You see these signs in the sky and know what they mean. In the same way, you see the things that I am doing now, but you don’t know their meaning. [SIZE=.75em]4 [/SIZE]Evil and sinful people ask for a miracle as a sign, but they will not be given any sign, except the sign of Jonah.”[SIZE=.65em][b][/SIZE] Then Jesus left them and went away."

UFOs, a river flows

How can you quote this and leave out the magnets?

UFOs, a river flows

How can you quote this and leave out the magnets?
I was just setting you up Juggalo

Ya fallah?
I gather your point is that just because I see no reason to call gravity a god doesn't mean that gravity isn't a god.

Of course that's true, but what's the sense in pointing it out?
ETA: I find this important because it is a principle I find very useful in these kinds of debates and one I've included with my sig, "The truth is the truth no matter what anyone says does or believes and nothing can change that." Basically I developed this focus on truth seeking after hearing people spout Occum's Razor as if it were some kind of end all be all to arguments about God. Who cares what the simplest explanation is if its wrong? Why do I care what you call a thing if you are wrong? And even deeper what does anyone's opinion mean if its wrong? Truth is all that matters and rather than argue semantics or what you want to name something I'd rather try to get to the bottom of whether or not God exists and if he does, what does that mean for us.
My point is to not let you get away with just saying that gravity isn't a god. I'm trying to get you to dig deeper and seek out the truth of whether there really is a god or not and not just be satisfied with your personal definitions and understanding. God wants you to know he is there and to look past just what your senses can touch and your mind can comprehend. As a follower of God I want you to know him as I do and to believe. Not for myself, but for you because God loves you and therefore I do.

My point is to not let you get away with just saying that gravity isn't a god. I'm trying to get you to dig deeper and seek out the truth of whether there really is a god or not and not just be satisfied with your personal definitions and understanding. God wants you to know he is there and to look past just what your senses can touch and your mind can comprehend. As a follower of God I want you to know him as I do and to believe. Not for myself, but for you because God loves you and therefore I do.
So... gravity is a god?

That's just sad

A little

So... gravity is a god?
Look past what your mind can comprehend. You'll see.

So... gravity is a god?
I will neither confirm nor deny the existence of a gravity deity, but this subject is very heavy.

You really have gone round the bend when you start speaking for God.

The reason Atheists have to make distinctions is because religions have tied together the possibility of an unknown intelligence (Deism) with a personal God (Theism) who has a doctrine of values and cares about what you do in your life. That connection is completely man made. Your theism differs depending on where you live because your local community taught it to you.

The connection is made by religious people every day. Somebody sees a dish fall off the wall and 2 leaps of faith happen: not only did some unknown force cause it, but it was their particular theistic God sending a message just to them.

Atheists reject the theistic interpretation of the event. It's still an unknown force which may or may not be explainable.

The reason Atheists have to make distinctions is because religions have tied together the possibility of an unknown intelligence (Deism) with a personal God (Theism) who has a doctrine of values and cares about what you do in your life. That connection is completely man made. Your theism differs depending on where you live because your local community taught it to you.

The connection is made by religious people every day. Somebody sees a dish fall off the wall and 2 leaps of faith happen: not only did some unknown force cause it, but it was their particular theistic God sending a message just to them.

Atheists reject the theistic interpretation of the event. It's still an unknown force which may or may not be explainable.
I know you probably don't mean it this way, but I find this a little bit demeaning.

in fact, as Hitchens points out, performing miracles was somewhat of a banality in the bronze age. everyone was doing it

Users who are viewing this thread