What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** Official 2014 NFL Scouting Combine thread ** (1 Viewer)

Xue

Footballguy
Faust can you start putting combine related news here, thanks.

Anyone have any predictions? Who's going to measure short? Light?

I'll start. Davante Adams will have a 40"+ vertical and 10" hands. Odell Beckham, Ryan Grant, and Bishop Sankey are going to kill the shuttle and 3-cone. (Ok not kill, but should be at the top.)

Dri Archer will run a 4.30, and so will Sammy Watkins.

Ka'Deem Carey and Bishop Sankey will both measure 5'9".

Some 100m track times from high school/college:

DeAnthony Thomas (2013) - 10.31

Sammy Watkins (2011) - 10.52

Brandin Cooks (2012) - 10.72

Lache Seastrunk (2010) - 10.81

DAT and Cooks ran in college whereas it looks like Watkins and Seastrunk stopped after HS. And Seastrunk might have stopped as a high school junior. I'd have to go back and look to see what DAT's best was in HS, but I think he was a 10.5-10.6 guy. I think that's mostly what he ran in college too. I know Wheaton beat him in a 100m back in 2012 even though Wheaton is only a mid 10.X guy. DAT and Cooks are likely faster over the first 40 than Wheaton, but he probably has a higher top speed. So while either of those guys could conceivably crank a 4.3, I don't see either of them threatening the combine record at all.

Based on his 10.8 high school time, it would also be a surprise for Seastrunk to run 4.3. 10.8 is more in line with what you'd expect from a 4.38-4.45 runner. But again, these players can develop as they get older and there's a big difference between a 40 yard dash and 100m sprint. Acceleration is a much bigger factor in the shorter distance.

Watkins running a 10.52 in high school is pretty impressive. Based on that, I'd tentatively say he has the most innate speed of these guys. Should be interesting to see what kind of time he can hit. I don't think he's Chris Johnson fast. His acceleration is really good though. Should be in the 4.3 range at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dri Archer ran a 10.49 in 12th grade with no wind.

Robert Herron ran a 10.50 in 12th grade with the wind (2 m/s = 4.5 MPH). Herron should blaze as well.

I don't think Seastrunk is a 4.3 guy. More in the 4.44-4.47 range. I don't think he'll put up a great shuttle, not that it matters much to me.

I think I'm most looking forward to the position drills, in particular the WR's. Helps me get a better feel for the players as individuals, and it's helpful to compare guys head to head. The wide receivers especially (for me), as that's the position I need to gather the most information.

DHB ran a 4.30.

I just looked up an article titled Top 10 Fastest Electronically Timed 40 Yard Dashes, and I think five of the top 10 were Raiders.

DHB ran a 4.30.

I just looked up an article titled Top 10 Fastest Electronically Timed 40 Yard Dashes, and I think five of the top 10 were Raiders.
Yes he ran a 4.30 based on what you read. My times are based on what I measured myself using video. Many of the times you will come across will not be accurate. Such as Chris Johnson never ran a 4.24.

I didn't know what you were talking about.

I was referring to official Combine times. DHB was really fast, if he was officially recorded at 4.30 and you came up with a 4.29, that isn't much of a discrepancy, I find that believable. How did you arrive at your time, a hundredth of a second is a pretty small increment to measure playing at home?

Teddy looking pretty yoked.

I think one of his previous listed weights was 203 lbs. It would be funny if it only took about a month to kill the "he is small-hipped and can never gain meaningful weight" scouting meme (doesn't need to be as wide-bodied as Roseanne Barr). He can still work on his upper body and legs (and obviously has).

Measurements rolling in as per Rotoworld:

Notre Dame TE Troy Niklas measured in at 6 foot 6 and a 1/2 and 270 pounds at the NFL Combine.

The "buzz is building" around Niklas as more are getting to study his tape, according to NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah. Our own Josh Norris recently ranked Niklas as the No. 34 overall prospect. Notre Dame frequently kept Niklas in to block, since that is one area he excels in, but the chiseled tight end did flash receiving ability when given the opportunity.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter
Washington TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins measured in at 6 foot 5 and 1/2 inch and 262 pounds at the NFL Combine.

Seferian-Jenkins also has 33 3/4 inch arms with an 80 inch wingspan. Rotoworld contributor Greg Peshek recently summarized ASJ's time at Washington, noting the limited yards after catch skill despite his utilization in those areas of the field. Seferian-Jenkins had the best drop rate of the five tight ends charted and he is a beast in the red zone.

Source: Rob Rang on Twitter
UNC TE Eric Ebron measured in at 6 foot 4 and 3/8ths of an inch and 250 pounds at the NFL Combine.

Ebron reportedly added weight since his sophomore year in the hopes of becoming a stronger blocker. Some worried he might measure in similarly to Orson Charles, but Ebron is two inches taller. Expect a great workout from Ebron, who has called his size and speed combination "illegal."

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter

For those concerned about Bridgewater's weight: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1966571-video-shows-teddy-bridgewater-looking-bigger-and-stronger-leading-up-the-combine

He's definitely not 196. Looks closer to 215.
Agreed, he's looking at least as big as RG3 there, if not bigger. If RG3 didn't run the ball so much no one would be worried, he's Rodgers size. So I think this while weight issue with Bridgewater will blow over. It's just nitpicking at this point.
Way overblown IMO. His size is OK, just not ideal. Teddy doesn't run as mich as some think.

Bridgewater always wears gloves. I'm interested in seeing how big his hands are. (Well, there's a sentence I've never used before).

Jace Amaro: 6'5-3/8" 265
Rotoworld take:

Texas Tech TE Jace Amaro arrived in Indianapolis at 6 foot 5 and 3/8 inches and 265 pounds.

That is certainly a stout size for a fluid receiving tight end. Amaro lined up in the slot 87.5 percent of the time, according to Rotoworld contributor Greg Peshek, but displayed more inline blocking this year than previously seen. For comparison, Jimmy Graham measured in at 6'6/260 pounds at the Combine.

Source: Andrew Perloff on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Iowa TE C.J. Fiedorowicz measured in at 6 foot 5 and 265 pounds at the NFL Combine.

Although the weight was exactly as expected, Fiedorowicz's height has been documented as tall as 6-foot-7. Because of that, this news is a little disappointing. Fiedorowicz is a straight-line runner who tops out at average speed and will never make anyone miss in the open field, but he also has sticky 10 1/4'' hands that snare anything close. His catch radius and physicality will attract a selection on the draft's second day.

Source: NFL.com

Faust said:
Measurements rolling in as per Rotoworld:

Washington TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins measured in at 6 foot 5 and 1/2 inch and 262 pounds at the NFL Combine.

Seferian-Jenkins also has 33 3/4 inch arms with an 80 inch wingspan. Rotoworld contributor Greg Peshek recently summarized ASJ's time at Washington, noting the limited yards after catch skill despite his utilization in those areas of the field. Seferian-Jenkins had the best drop rate of the five tight ends charted and he is a beast in the red zone.

Source: Rob Rang on Twitter
Matthew Fairburn tweeted:

Austin Seferian-Jenkins has dropped 20 pounds since the season. Said he added weight to block more.

Dri Archer ran a 10.49 in 12th grade with no wind.

Robert Herron ran a 10.50 in 12th grade with the wind (2 m/s = 4.5 MPH). Herron should blaze as well.

I don't think Seastrunk is a 4.3 guy. More in the 4.44-4.47 range. I don't think he'll put up a great shuttle, not that it matters much to me.
Herron was incredibly impressive in the bits I was able to see of him in position drills at the senior bowl. He also looked solid in the game as well on his opportunities. He's shifty, tough to jam off the line, quick through his routes, and blazing fast. I'd venture to say he's going to be a solid riser this week.

Rotoworld:

A.J. McCarron plans to throw at the Combine after skipping the Senior Bowl.
McCarron skipped last month's senior showcase because of a "non-throwing shoulder issue," though former NFL scout John Middlekauff reported it was because McCarron viewed himself as a top-20 pick. That's not going to happen, but a strong showing in Indy could solidify McCarron's day-two status. His NFL ceiling is likely Andy Dalton.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Clemson QB Tajh Boyd will throw at the Combine.
A likely day-three pick, Boyd has nothing to lose. There's already an endless amount of bad film for NFL teams to pore over. Boyd is a developmental prospect.

San Jose State QB David Fales will throw at the Combine.
Fales is the kind of prospect who would be crazy not to do all he could at the Combine. A likely day-three selection, Fales has much more to gain than lose. Fales is accurate and patient in the pocket, but faces major questions about his arm strength at the NFL level.

Users who are viewing this thread