What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** Official 2014 NFL Scouting Combine thread ** (1 Viewer)

Colt Lyerla -- 15 bench presses (last among those being tested). Apparently he didn't spend his extra time prepping for the draft. Would have loved to see what this guy could do without the outside issues.
He's big (not as big as I thought), but also much more of a finesse guy than a lot of other TE's. Not surprised he didn't light up the bench (insert drug reference here).

If he's been preparing at all, he SHOULD blow up the speed and explosiveness drills.
This guy hasn't been in school for several months now. He wants to be a pro football player. It's my opinion that he should be doing well for all of these tests. If he fails as most of these test, prepare for "the judge didn't let me train in Vegas, Wahhhhhh" excuse.

I wanted to see Xavier Grimble do the drills. Mayock has him as a 5th round pick. He looks better than than that to me.

Anybody know why he isn't participating?

Lol. In the TE drills, workout QB thows the ball way behind his target and the drill coach says "What are you trying to do son go undrafted?"

What we learned: Takeaways from Day 2 at the NFL combine

By Chase Goodbread, Dan Parr and Andy Fenelon NFL.com

INDIANAPOLIS -- Friday was the media day at the NFL Scouting Combine most people had anticipated.

It was the day Johnny Manziel was weighed and measured and dissected by NFL teams and media alike, with topics ranging from counseling for his alcohol use to his text messages with Tom Brady. It was a day he was unveiled to the masses.

By all accounts -- besides that little thing about coming up short -- he passed with flying colors.

And now we can move on.

And we will with this edition of a (mostly) Johnny-Football-free combine edition of What We Learned. Here's what Chase Goodbread, Dan Parr and Andy Fenelon learned about NFL draft prospects during Day 2 at the combine:

1. Hyde says he's No. 1Carlos Hyde says there's no question he's the best running back in the draft, even though there remain questions about his standing among running backs in this year's draft. NFL Media analysts Daniel Jeremiah and Mike Mayock list the former Ohio State back as their No. 1, but Bucky Brooks lists Hyde No. 3 behind Ka'Deem Carey and Jeremy Hill, and Gil Brandt still has questions about Hyde's speed.

Hyde, who described his running style as violent, says speed is not an issue. He expects to run the 40 in the 4.4-second range on Sunday when running backs work out, and he believes if he can run in the low 4.4's he "definitely can get in the first round" of the draft. If he does run in that range, maybe then he can claim top-dog status.

2. NFL comparisonsHyde compared himself to Marshawn Lynch and Frank Gore. There were many players comparing themselves to established NFL stars, including Colorado WR Paul Richardson, who claims to be a combination of Mike Wallace and DeSean Jackson, which drew this smart-aleck response on @NFL_CFB:

CollegeFootball 24/7 @NFL_CFB

#Colorado WR Paul Richardson says he's a combo between Mike Wallace an DeSean Jackson. #NFLCombine

Noran Radical @NoranRadical Follow

@NFL_CFB @Steelersdepot so he has average at best hands, so so route running skills, and an attitude problem?

3. Don't disrespect McCarronAlabama's AJ McCarron admitted to having a chip on his shoulder as to why he isn't considered among the draft's elite quarterbacks, along with Manziel, Blake Bortles and Teddy Bridgewater. "Everybody tries, all the experts, tried to knock me on the deep ball, trying to say my arm's not strong. My arm is strong enough. I can throw the ball 65 yards," he said. "But I had a bad habit of releasing the ball out wide and not staying vertical on it. If you go back and watch my film, you can see the film doesn't lie on that. The times I had to throw the ball deep and I stayed with a vertical release on it, the ball went far."

McCarron also took exception to criticism that, because he was surrounded by an elite level of talent at Alabama, that things were easy for him. Don't forget, McCarron noted, that he's faced more than 40 NFL-drafted defenders in his college career. After this draft, it figures to be a lot more.

4. O'Brien talks BortlesBlake Bortles' strong showing in a win over Penn State last season would seem to only bolster his draft credentials, but it just so happens the coach he defeated in that game, Bill O'Brien, is now the head coach of the Texans, who will decide whether Bortles reaches his goal of becoming the draft's first overall pick. Will Bortles be reminding O'Brien here in Indy of the outcome that day? "I don't know if I'll bring that up," he said. O'Brien was reminded of the game Friday.

"(Bortles) played well," O'Brien recalled. "He beat us. Obviously, I have a connection with George O'Leary and their coaching staff thinks very highly of him there. He's a big guy. He's athletic. He's a competitive guy. It's been fun to watch him play on tape and it'll be good to watch him workout here."

5. Ellington credits cousinArizona Cardinals running back Andre Ellington was among the most productive rookies in the NFL last season with more than 1,000 total yards. His cousin Bruce Ellington, South Carolina's point-guard-turned-wide-receiver, credits Andre for much of his competitiveness as an athlete. Ellington, the Gamecocks' top wide receiver the last two seasons, probably can't be had for the bargain Arizona got on his cousin, a sixth-round pick out of Clemson. The younger Ellington said he received a third-round draft grade from the NFL Draft Advisory Board.

6. Sam's teammates questionedMichael Sam will be a big draw Saturday when he steps to the podium to face the mass media for the first time since announcing he is gay. But already, every Missouri player who has come through the media room has been pelted with Sam questions. Fair or not, it was WR L'Damian Washington's turn on Friday. It was clear the genuine love and respect Washington has for his ex-teammate. "He's ready to handle this," Washington said about the potential of Sam becoming the first openly gay player in the NFL. "Mike Sam is the toughest guy I know." Asked if he would have had the courage to come out publicly if he were gay, Washington said: "Nope. Hell no."

7. Two massive receiversWhile coaches, general managers and prospects were dissecting a certain quarterback's lack of height for much of the day, there was no such talk with wide receivers Mike Evans and Kelvin Benjamin, who essentially are clones of each other. Big tight end-looking clones. Evans measured 6-4 3/4 and 231 pounds; Benjamin came in at 6-5, 240. These guys are chiseled. In fact, Benjamin, who caught the winning touchdown in the BCS championship game for Florida State, said his body fat was measured at 4 percent. Suddenly feeling an urge to hit the treadmill.

8. Quick as a rabbitSpeaking of Benjamin, he attributed his development to an unlikely training source -- chasing rabbits in Belle Glade, Fla. (a.k.a. Muck City) as a kid. "Everybody chased rabbits back in the day, when you were small," he said. "I mean, they were good to eat. They're really good if you've never had them before. But that also helps you with speed and agility and stuff like that." Like hops?

9. Fastest 40 ever?We learned that Kent State RB Dri Archer, the smallest player at the combine, has a record on his mind, and he's not shy about telling people. No pressure, Dri.

10. Lyerla flops on benchColt Lyerla, who probably carried the most baggage into this combine, might have forgotten to pack his strength. While North Carolina OL Russell Bodine had the fifth-most reps (42) in the bench press since 2006, Lyerla threw it up only 15 times. That can't help his case. Some teams have completely removed him from their boards, and that was before the combine started.

11. Awkward interviewsNFL teams get 15 minutes with each player they schedule for interviews at the combine, so the pace from interview to interview can get hectic for the prospects. Annually, the worst question reporters ask players at this event (and there isn't really a close second) is, "Which teams have you talked to?" THEY TALK TO ALL OF THEM. And if you have any doubts, ask quarterback Aaron Murray, who related meeting with teams at the combine to "speed dating." Except it's good to get picked in the draft.

12. Carr's scary experienceThere are so many players to cheer for at the combine as we learn their stories and get to know them a bit beyond their 40 times and bench press. The media interview sessions are great for this reason. On Friday, QB Derek Carr was one of those players. He got emotional talking about his son, who was born last August eight days premature with intestinal issues. Doctors, Carr recalled, prepared him and his wife on several occassions that "your son might die."

13. So far, so good for RobinsonJust a redshirt sophomore, Auburn OT Greg Robinson saw his stock soar last season and is considered a likely top-six pick heading into the combine (few see him being passed over by the Falcons at No. 6 if he's still available). Apparently no teams have tried to knock the skyrocketing prospect down a peg in interview sessions. "I really haven't had any negative meetings," he said. "I don't know when it's going to come, but when it does, I'm going to be prepared for it."

14. Hill opens up to teamsWe learned LSU RB Jeremy Hill is being up-front about his off-field issues. Smart move.

15. How high will Mack go?And finally, we learned that Mike Mayock really, really, really likes Buffalo pass rusher Khalil Mack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob Magaw said:
Donnybrook said:
Dane Brugler‏@dpbrugler

Yep, plus 32 reps on bench RT @MattBowen41: A 4.88 40 time (1.69 10-yard split) for #Auburn OT Greg Robinson at 332 pounds is ridiculous
Hoping Robinson is Orlando Pace 2.0 for the Rams.

After his dominant showing, I think trading down to ATL at 1.6 is too dicey and no longer in play if they are targeting him.
2014 combine: Robinson registers 4.92 officially in the 40-yard dash

By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst

February 22, 2014 12:08 pm ET

Auburn left tackle Greg Robinson was expected to perform well at the combine, but the official numbers are turning heads.

Robinson ran an official 4.92 on Saturday morning, slightly off from his unofficial 4.88 on his first 40-yard dash and 4.84 on his second try. His unofficial 10-yard splits were 1.69 and 1.68. These numbers are impressive for any offensive lineman, but considering Robinson is 332 pounds, it's even more remarkable.

While the numbers are impressive, it reinforces what the tape shows: Robinson is a tremendous athlete with light feet and easy movement skills. He also lifted 225 pounds 32 times on the bench press and with 35-inch arms, that number is equally as impressive. But again, the tape backs it up. Robinson uses his strong, aggressive hands to latch and drive defenders out of the play in the run game.

Robinson, who didn't start playing offensive line until his junior year in high school, is still learning the game and needs time to develop, especially in pass protection. But the raw skills are extremely impressive and along with the notable numbers he's producing Saturday at the combine, Robinson is proving why so many around the league believe he's a top-five overall talent and this year's top tackle prospect.

Michigan OT Taylor Lewan had the fastest 40-yard dash time among offensive lineman at 4.87. For a list of updated OL workout times, click here.

Bob Magaw said:
Donnybrook said:
Dane Brugler‏@dpbrugler

Yep, plus 32 reps on bench RT @MattBowen41: A 4.88 40 time (1.69 10-yard split) for #Auburn OT Greg Robinson at 332 pounds is ridiculous
Hoping Robinson is Orlando Pace 2.0 for the Rams.After his dominant showing, I think trading down to ATL at 1.6 is too dicey and no longer in play if they are targeting him.
2014 combine: Robinson registers 4.92 officially in the 40-yard dash

February 22, 2014 12:08 pm ET

Auburn left tackle Greg Robinson was expected to perform well at the combine, but the official numbers are turning heads.

Robinson ran an official 4.92 on Saturday morning, slightly off from his unofficial 4.88 on his first 40-yard dash and 4.84 on his second try. His unofficial 10-yard splits were 1.69 and 1.68. These numbers are impressive for any offensive lineman, but considering Robinson is 332 pounds, it's even more remarkable.

While the numbers are impressive, it reinforces what the tape shows: Robinson is a tremendous athlete with light feet and easy movement skills. He also lifted 225 pounds 32 times on the bench press and with 35-inch arms, that number is equally as impressive. But again, the tape backs it up. Robinson uses his strong, aggressive hands to latch and drive defenders out of the play in the run game.

Robinson, who didn't start playing offensive line until his junior year in high school, is still learning the game and needs time to develop, especially in pass protection. But the raw skills are extremely impressive and along with the notable numbers he's producing Saturday at the combine, Robinson is proving why so many around the league believe he's a top-five overall talent and this year's top tackle prospect.

Michigan OT Taylor Lewan had the fastest 40-yard dash time among offensive lineman at 4.87. For a list of updated OL workout times, click here.
Thanks, Faust. Good stuff.I knew he began on defense, but not that he only played OL only two years. That is only four years TOTAL (of game action, he was a redshirt). Matthews started four years in COLLEGE. Robinson's upside is mind boggling.

He played basketball when younger, and that shows in his light feet and agility. He played defense before converting to OL. That shows up in his physicality and nasty, violent game.

Thanks Bob!

It may make sense for the Rams to just pick Robinson instead of trading down.

QB need: debatable as Bradford was showing progress in his development and needs more time to show what he can do with his new offensive weapons (who are developing in their own right).

DE: While Clowney is an incredible talent with tremendous upside, this is not a weak spot for the Rams

WR: While Watkins is an impressive WR prospect, they have young pool of WRs and given how deep this draft is, especially at WR, they can always look to other rounds for another WR prospect.

The Rams should trade down if a good offer is presented to them; however, staying at their spot and selecting Robinson (or Jake Matthews) isn't a bad second option for them.

NFL combine: Jake Matthews or Greg Robinson? Pick your flavor

February 22, 2014 9:33 am ET

Which offensive tackle prospect would you rather have: the technically sound four-year starter or an athletic mauler with tremendous upside?

That is the question NFL teams who are considering an offensive tackle in the top 10 will need to ask themselves when deciding between Texas A&M's Jake Matthews and Auburn's Greg Robinson. Both have SEC resumes and both project as above average NFL prospects, but for different reasons.

It might not be a “who is better?” argument, but rather a “pick your flavor” situation.

Maybe the “safest” prospect in this draft class, Matthews is as steady as they come. From the bloodlines to the pedigree, the former Aggie tackle was destined to play offensive line at the highest level.

“I'd like to think I wasn't grandfathered in, that I earned my way,” Matthews said at the combine in response to his family's rich NFL lineage.

Matthews began his Texas A&M career as a reserve, but it didn't take long for him to earn a starting job as a true freshman, starting 33 straight games at right tackle before replacing Luke Joeckel at left tackle in 2013. Over his time in College Station, he played in very different offenses, with different styles of quarterbacks and against some of college football's top pass rushers in the SEC.

Matthews has seen it all.

“We had a coaching change and switched offenses, going from a pro style to a spread style,” said Matthews. “I learned a lot from both coaching staffs. Having all those different circumstances thrown at me and still playing well is something I'm proud of.”

Matthews isn't the longest, strongest or meanest, but he's a coordinated athlete with smooth body control and natural balance. A true technician, the game appears to come easy to him with his football smarts and scouts believe he can excel at any of the five offensive line spots in the NFL. But what can Matthews accomplish in Indianapolis this week to prove to scouts he's the top offensive lineman at the NFL Combine?

“I want to reiterate what I've put on film all year,” Matthews said. “I want to put up good numbers and show I'm the best tackle.”

Robinson became the starting left tackle at Auburn in 2012 and became an unheralded fixture for Auburn's productive run attack that led the nation in total offense. Although he's still learning and noticeably unrefined in some areas, Robinson has an intriguing blend of natural power, body control and athleticism. Factor in the violent mentality and he consistently flashes dominating qualities in the run game with very high upside in pass protection.

The upside is clear, but how much time will he need to reach it.

“I'm not at full potential right now,” Robinson said on Thursday at the combine. “I still have a lot to go. I started last year, my first season starting. The guys they have ahead of me like Jake Matthews, he started since he was a freshman. That's just something I feel I need to prove.”

Robinson has strong hands to steer defenders in the run game to take them where he wants with his finishing attitude. But his pass protection is somewhat untested because of Gus Malzahn's offense at Auburn. He has the athleticism and wide base to seal the edge, but his aggressive demeanor will also cause him to lunge, overextend at the waist and be undisciplined at times protecting the pocket.

“I understand about run blocking because I worked on a lot,” Robinson said. “I've also worked the pass. It was limited. I feel I'm decent enough and I will prove myself if there's anybody doubting that I can't pass block.”

Robinson isn't a project, but he does need some seasoning and time to button up his flaws.

Matthews and Robinson do have their similarities: neither started playing on the offensive line until midway through high school careers. Matthews was a quarterback when he was younger, but once he switched over as a high school sophomore, he realized offensive line was his best fit. Robinson played mostly basketball growing up, but gravitated to the football field, moving from defense to the offensive line as a junior in high school.

And despite very different career paths, Matthews and Robinson are only eight months apart in age.

While Matthews is widely viewed as the safer choice and Robinson is the sky high ceiling prospect, both players offer intriguing qualities that will appeal to NFL teams. So the question might not be who is better, but rather which style fits each particular team's need? Team A might prefer the “Steady Eddie” approach of Matthews, while Team B will gravitate towards the perceived upside of Robinson.

Basically, you can't go wrong. Just pick your flavor.

When asked about Robinson, Michigan's Taylor Lewan and some of the other top offensive line prospects in this class, Matthews kept it short and sweet.

“They are great players, but I think I'm a great player too.”

So is everyone OK with Ebron running an official 4.60? I am, because his football speed is just fine, but I know people expected better.
the three fastest te forties last year were udfa, udfa, and seventh round.Jace and Ebron did what they needed to do. Lylera too, but his interviews are much more important.

I think both Jace and Ebron will be fine too. 40 times are nice but doing it on the field in pads is way more important.

Eric Ebron clocks second-best 40 time among tight endsBy Mike Huguenin

College Football 24/7 writer

North Carolina tight end Eric Ebron vowed earlier in the week that he would beat former Tar Heels teammate Gio Bernard's time in the 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine, but he couldn't do it.

Bernard was clocked at 4.53 seconds at last year's combine; Ebron turned in a 4.60 clocking Saturday. But Bernard is a 5-foot-8, 202-pounder, and Ebron is 6-4 and weighs 250 pounds.

Ebron apparently suffered an unknown minor injury and didn't participate in the remaining drills Saturday afternoon.

Ebron's 40 time was second-highest among tight ends, behind the 4.50 of Tennessee State's A.C. Leonard, a good athlete who began his career at Florida before running into off-field trouble and transferring to the FCS program. But while Leonard is considered a potential third-day selection, Ebron could go in the top 10 because of his athleticism and high-level all-around skills. He also posted a broad jump of 10 feet, tied for third among tight ends.

"His tape is so much fun to watch, it's scary," NFL Media draft analyst Mike Mayock said on the NFL Network.

Early in the day, Mayock said Ebron was a "more complete player" than San Francisco 49ers star Vernon Davis at the same stage of their careers.

Ebron is considered the best tight end in the draft, with two others considered potential first-rounders: Texas Tech's Jace Amaro (6-5, 265) and Washington's Austin Seferian-Jenkins (6-5, 262). Amaro was clocked at 4.74, slower than expected; Seferian-Jenkins did not run or participate in drills because of a minor foot injury.

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports "several teams" have failed Alabama OT Cyrus Kouandjio on medical exams at the Combine.
Kouandjio has reportedly been diagnosed with an arthritic knee stemming from a "failed" college surgery. RapSheet indicates his medical is "ugly." It's been a rough few days for Kouandjio, who also demonstrated limited strength with 21 reps on the bench press, and ran a startlingly slow 5.53 forty-yard dash. Kouandjio may be staring at a draft slide into day three.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Anyone think Trey Burton can be a swiss army knife player for a smart OC?

6'2" 220. All of his timed values are among the top TEs. It seemed he was a good player at UF, but their offense had all sorts of other problems so that he couldn't show what he's got.

Thanks Bob!

It may make sense for the Rams to just pick Robinson instead of trading down.

QB need: debatable as Bradford was showing progress in his development and needs more time to show what he can do with his new offensive weapons (who are developing in their own right).

DE: While Clowney is an incredible talent with tremendous upside, this is not a weak spot for the Rams

WR: While Watkins is an impressive WR prospect, they have young pool of WRs and given how deep this draft is, especially at WR, they can always look to other rounds for another WR prospect.

The Rams should trade down if a good offer is presented to them; however, staying at their spot and selecting Robinson (or Jake Matthews) isn't a bad second option for them.
Thank YOU, Faust.I still think you are an AI construct like Wintermute in William Gibson's seminal cyberpunk genre-creating Neuromancer. I mean that as a compliment. :)

I think Watkins is going to blow up the Combine, too (4.3 something tomorrow).

There has been a lot of discussion about where STL could safely trade down to if they want to get one of them. If three QBs don't go by OAK, there are scenarios where both are already off the board in a trade down to 1.6 with ATL.

Don't think that time really helps or hurts Ebron. Can't say it's a huge shock. I think anything faster than 4.5 would've been surprising. Anything slower than 4.6 also would've been surprising. As you can see from the other TE times, 4.60 is speedy for the position. Puts him on track to be a solid mid 1st rounder as projected. Solid broad jump too.

Some nice marks by AC Leonard and Colt Lyerla. It'll be interesting to see how high a team takes a chance on those guys. Same with Trey Burton, although his super low weight is going to make him a tricky prospect to work with. Simply not big enough to block anyone. Maybe a team will think they can make him into another Jordan Reed.

This doesn't look like a very strong TE class. The numbers were pretty poor across the board. Having said that, I'm curious to see what Grimble and ASJ can do. I don't think either one of them was likely to light up the testing. I'd just like to know once and for all what their measured speed/explosiveness is like.

Mike Loyko‏@NEPD_LoykoOdell Beckham Jr. did 7 reps on the Bench.. and no one will give a ####
Except for EBF. :yes:

edit to add:

Same source

Kelvin Benjamin did 13 reps on the bench .. Cody Latimer did the most with 23
Just for comparison sake, does anyone know how many reps Julio did?
17 IIRC
Bench reps not a big factor for WRs; speed and explosiveness way more important

A little disappointed in Lee and Watkins measurements. I mean it almost guarantees that neither of them will ever be a top 6ish WR.

Robinson, on the other hand, was impressive at 6'2 and 220lbs. He's a really lean 220 to. I kind of hope he doesn't break into the 4.4's tomorrow in the 40 or he'll rise up draft boards. I'm sold and would like him to fall into the late first round of rookie drafts. He's shaping up to be the best WR in this class.

A little disappointed in Lee and Watkins measurements. I mean it almost guarantees that neither of them will ever be a top 6ish WR.

Robinson, on the other hand, was impressive at 6'2 and 220lbs. He's a really lean 220 to. I kind of hope he doesn't break into the 4.4's tomorrow in the 40 or he'll rise up draft boards. I'm sold and would like him to fall into the late first round of rookie drafts. He's shaping up to be the best WR in this class.
I agree sitting on 1.07 in a league and was hoping that he would be sitting there.

I agree sitting on 1.07 in a league and was hoping that he would be sitting there.
Benjamin is going to be a beast too. Not a fan of Watkins at all but I'm in the minority.

I really like Robinson. But being an inch and change taller than Watkins is not a reason to have him as the #1 WR.

Watkins may not break into that top-6/7 of Calvin/Julio/Green/Dez/DT/Gordon/Jeffery (though it's tough to see anybody doing that in the foreseeable future), but if he lives up to his high billing he can definitely be that next guy, in the Cobb/Harvin/Allen/Marshall/Blackmon (in an ideal world) area of rankings. That's plenty valuable and Allen reaching some arbitrary 6'2" height isn't a reason to be more excited about him (not to imply that's your only reasoning, of course. It just sticks out), especially since Dez is the only 6'2" guy in the top tiers as well, and he plays much bigger.

Benjamin is going to be a beast too. Not a fan of Watkins at all but I'm in the minority.
I can understand if you think he's overrated at his current price-point.

But I can't even remotely FATHOM how one could be "not a fan of Watkins at all". That's overstating your case past the point of believability. He's obviously talented. The price and his talent level compared to other WR prospects is what's up for discussion.

I don't think you can be disappointed with Sammy's measurements. He was never going to come in at 6'3" or 6'4". Just looking at him on the field you can see that he's not that tall. His weight was extremely high for his height though, putting him in the same rough body thickness bucket with guys like Victor Cruz, Larry Fitzgerald, and Dez Bryant. Does he play that big? No way, IMO. He doesn't have the same type of strength through his lower body and he really doesn't manhandle people like those guys can, but for a finesse/speed WR he's got above average overall bulk and upper body strength.

Robinson seems like an easier projection for NFL success to me than Evans or Benjamin. Which is not to say that he has a higher ceiling, but only that his game seems more straightforward and less risky to me. I also think he's a more conventional NFL WR than either Lee or Watkins. Those guys are more dynamic, but they don't fit the established prototype outside NFL starter quite as cleanly. So yes, I do think there's a chance that Robinson will be the best NFL WR from this draft when the dust settles. There are lots of contenders though and it's not a certainty.

Having said that, I don't expect him to run that well in the 40. He's quicker than fast. He gets caught from behind and doesn't have pullaway speed. That's what makes him a fringe 1st round pick instead of a lock elite prospect. It would surprise me if he broke 4.50 tomorrow. On the other hand, I won't be concerned unless he runs 4.60 or slower. Speed isn't his game, but if he comes in too slow then he'll look more like a potential #1B/#2 NFL WR than a likely #1. He already does in some ways.

He's a pretty good overall athlete though. I've seen his broad jump reported at 10'8" from Penn State sources. That would be a pretty solid mark. He also appears to be a pretty good leaper, so I'd be surprised with a vertical lower than 36-37". He also came in heavier than listed at the weigh-in. I had read in the offseason that he showed up to Penn State's spring game with significant added weight. I believe that. One thing I've pointed out about him a few times that bears repeating is that he's VERY young for his draft standing. He was a 20 year old junior this past college season and will not turn 21 until August. So this is a guy who may have a little more physical development left in the tank than your average draft prospect. That's a positive.

I've said for a while that I think he can sneak into the late 1st and I still think it might happen. WRs are always in demand in the NFL and there are lots of teams sitting in the back half of the draft who could really use a guy like this. Seattle, San Francisco, New England, Kansas City, Baltimore, Denver (if Decker walks), Carolina, New Orleans. He's probably an opening day starter on any of those teams. Let's see what he runs tomorrow. IMO the 40 time is either going to propel him up into the late 1st or keep him solidly in the 2nd.

Users who are viewing this thread