Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Serious Biz Dynasty Year 14 - Happy Wander Day


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey all, I'm Jake. I'm taking over the Arsenal franchise. With any luck, I'll have this ship turned around within ten short years. Anyone who is in the market for a decent starter (Ryu, Morton, Gausma

From the week one round up: "No Dynasty for Old Men were saving like they grew up in the depression, notching ten overall." 

We actually both wanted to go a different route. But no ####### way we could pass up the shtick of both top picks being yours

I think contract and disperse kills two birds with one stone, don't have to worry about a new owner who would be getting a stacked team and seriously affecting comp balance. Additionally dispersing those players should help nicely with the competitive balance issue.  :2cents:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather have someone take over Hoos' team because I've finished 2nd to him for 2 years and it will feel kind of lame if I win the league because his squad got dispersed.

But I also get that people who recently joined and have been building teams from the bottom up wouldn't want to see some noob get to take over a powerhouse, so I'm fine with a dispersal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Spartans Rule said:

I'd rather have someone take over Hoos' team because I've finished 2nd to him for 2 years and it will feel kind of lame if I win the league because his squad got dispersed.

But I also get that people who recently joined and have been building teams from the bottom up wouldn't want to see some noob get to take over a powerhouse, so I'm fine with a dispersal.

A little smack talk mixed into the dispersal discussion. I like it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem we're trying to correct dates back 2-3 years when owners bailed on a couple of teams with poor talent (Elvis and whoever Meat Panchos was).   We were fortunate to get good replacement owners (and Doctor Detroit) at the time but it was a very steep hill to climb.  It's even tougher now that the league has changed towards being more prospects heavy.

Eliminating the 13th club will give the newer teams a shot at top talent that wouldn't be available via normal means.  The only downside is that it rewards PIK for tanking but the solutions should focus on what makes the league better going forward rather than how we got here.  I think a more balanced league is better; it generates more interest and protects the league if somebody decides to leave in future years.  12 teams will also increase the player pool by 37 so there should be more talent available, not that there isn't plenty already.

1. carve up team Hoos in a two round snake (non-snake?) draft in reverse order of standings

2. protect 22 (?) and do a second two round draft of unprotected players.  A team can only lose three players during this phase

3. roster drops to get everybody back to 37

4. one round add/drop draft

5. waivers run

6.Season-long FCFS (including or not including amateurs?)

Open to other suggestions of course.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Eephus said:

The problem we're trying to correct dates back 2-3 years when owners bailed on a couple of teams with poor talent (Elvis and whoever Meat Panchos was).   We were fortunate to get good replacement owners (and Doctor Detroit) at the time but it was a very steep hill to climb.  It's even tougher now that the league has changed towards being more prospects heavy.

Eliminating the 13th club will give the newer teams a shot at top talent that wouldn't be available via normal means.  The only downside is that it rewards PIK for tanking but the solutions should focus on what makes the league better going forward rather than how we got here.  I think a more balanced league is better; it generates more interest and protects the league if somebody decides to leave in future years.  12 teams will also increase the player pool by 37 so there should be more talent available, not that there isn't plenty already.

1. carve up team Hoos in a two round snake (non-snake?) draft in reverse order of standings

2. protect 22 (?) and do a second two round draft of unprotected players.  A team can only lose three players during this phase

3. roster drops to get everybody back to 37

4. one round add/drop draft

5. waivers run

6.Season-long FCFS (including or not including amateurs?)

Open to other suggestions of course.

Thoughts on expanding roster size a bit if we drop to 12 teams? Leaves a little more room to speculate for some that are trying to compete and rebuild at the same time.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RnR said:

Thoughts on expanding roster size a bit if we drop to 12 teams? Leaves a little more room to speculate for some that are trying to compete and rebuild at the same time.

I'd be in favor of bumping up to 40. It keeps some continuity on total number of rostered players in the league (13x37 = 481, 12x40 = 480), gives teams a little more flexibility, plus the idea of a 40-man roster parallels MLB.

For simplicity's sake I think we should do a 3-round non-snake draft of Hoos players (and free agents?) to get everyone up to 40. We suspend the competitive balance draft for this year since it's meant to A. Give us a little draft for fun and B. Even out the balance of power.... and I think the Hoos draft accomplishes both. We can bring it back next year.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My thinking was the third round of a Hoosdraft would be largely irrelevant.

I'm not sure if I like roster expansion.  I like the idea that roster decisions should be tough and larger rosters can only diminish this.

What's the thinking on eliminating in-season amateur pickups?  I think if we keep those _and_ expand rosters, most of those extras slots will end up being speculative.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in favor of a bump to a 40 man roster with just 12 teams.

One thought is a 3 round non-snake draft of Hoos roster and any other available players to get everyone up to 40.  Then, forgo the competitive balance draft until next offseason.  We could still do the one round add/drop draft later in spring training as well as the waivers run.

I'm still in favor of being able to pick-up amateurs/that year's draft picks in season.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

just wanted to let folks knows i'd like to be considered for membership in baseball leagues with FFApers i know. redraft, dynasty (tho i don't play that for big money cuz its a sucker play for latecomers), contract, whatever. been a while since i done heavy prospect work, but i catch on quick. i'm a good owner looking to get back in action on my favorite sport. holla -

ETA: no simulator stuff, tho - dont understand that

Edited by wikkidpissah
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think X wants his own team, wikkid wants in also. 

Come on, it's a $50 league, you can fight with a street bum on a bet for more than that. 

I also don't get why hoos quit, his team is pretty top heavy. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

I think X wants his own team, wikkid wants in also. 

Come on, it's a $50 league, you can fight with a street bum on a bet for more than that. 

I also don't get why hoos quit, his team is pretty top heavy. 

Yeah, strange hill to die on for Hoos.  His 23rd best player isn't going to shift the balance of power against him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We've been through the Hoos drama multiple times. 

Going forward, my vote is for contraction.  With all due respect to X and wikkidpissah, I think we'd be better off with twelve teams.  The bad teams will get better off the remains of team Hoos and we'll move on.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Eephus said:

We've been through the Hoos drama multiple times. 

Going forward, my vote is for contraction.  With all due respect to X and wikkidpissah, I think we'd be better off with twelve teams.  The bad teams will get better off the remains of team Hoos and we'll move on.

I was saying wikkid/X in case others drop out.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we quit with all the quitting talk and start focusing on getting this thing rolling again this season?

PITCHERS AND CATCHERS ARE REPORTING!

Edited by RnR
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Stay man, it's $50.

im looking forward to this league over all others. Kind of screwed myself by trying to be decent last year, but hoos team has 10 or so plumb picks. Pik getting Arenado sucks but whatever. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Yahoo? I do almost all of my fantasy stuff on my phone and CBS app is kind of awful next to Yahoo's...

I vaguely recall looking into this before and I don't think Yahoo could handle our rules.

 

ETA:   maximum roster size of 30, limited minor league database, no manual adding of unlisted players

Edited by Eephus
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Doctor Detroit said:

I think it's free with @greedygoat :shrug:

Yeah, I know a guy who works at CBSSports.com and he has waived the fee for us for the last 3+ years.  I haven't seen or spoken to him since I sent him an email around this time last year :bag:

I can't believe they charge $179.99 for that crap.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2017 at 5:37 PM, Doctor Detroit said:

Stay man, it's $50.

im looking forward to this league over all others. Kind of screwed myself by trying to be decent last year, but hoos team has 10 or so plumb picks. Pik getting Arenado sucks but whatever. 

Is he the pick?  I thought my Red Sox guy.  I haven't looked at anything yet fwiw.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2017 at 9:44 AM, Kraft... said:

I think contract and disperse kills two birds with one stone, don't have to worry about a new owner who would be getting a stacked team and seriously affecting comp balance. Additionally dispersing those players should help nicely with the competitive balance issue.  :2cents:

I am interested in TT, NM, and JUrias once trading opens.  I should have a stud or two and some kids to trade once everything plays out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PIK95 said:

When will we be doing that draft and opening up trading?  I'm trying to resist the urge to add another league.

@greedygoat is staying but looking for a partner. 

@Northern Voice has been in the thread since hoisting his butt onto the fence. 

There are three prospective new owners for 0.5 to 1.5 open slots.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

OK.  Let's light this candle.

  1. @greedygoat is looking for a partner.  @wikkidpissah@cosjobs@Chemical X have expressed interest.  The parties involved can work this out.
  2. Unless somebody objects, I'm going to break up Hoos' team and place his players in with the FAs.  The league will contract from 13 to 12.
  3. We need to decide whether to keep roster size at 37 or increase to up to 40
  4. Depending on the decision in item #3, we'll do a 2 or 3 round draft (non-snake in reverse order of 2016 standings). 
  5. The idea of eliminating in-season pickups of amateurs seems to be dying unless somebody wants to take up the cause.
  6. We'll also do a waivers run before the start of FCFS.
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Eephus changed the title to Serious Biz Dynasty Year 14 - Happy Wander Day

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...