What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Serious Biz Dynasty Year 17 - Plenty of talent on the come (7 Viewers)

Rostered players not in CBS database as of 20 May 2017

Lazaro Armenteros (Cuba) Pik95
Shohei Otani (Japan) rodg12
Jeren Kendall (NCAA) eephus
Luis Robert (Cuba)  Hell Toupee
Hunter Greene (HS) Spartans Rule
Seth Beer (NCAA) eephus
Adam Haseley (NCAA)  Pik95
Pavin Smith (NCAA) Pik95

So what did we decide for next year as far as a mini draft?

Protect 30 and draft 3 rounds IMO.  I don't like the protect 23 idea because my team is young and full of minor leaguers, and a team with a lot of MLB talent might not love that either.  Again, I think the 3 round draft is to keep people interested because even a mini draft is great.  You get mad someone took one of your players, you are happy to get some guy who is #31 on someone else's team. 

3 rounds, can't lose more than 4 off any one team, keeps the integrity of teams but still opens it up enough for everyone to remained interested.  That said, it's a $50 league and anyone who quits is a jerk.  This is coming from a guy who quit once, although I did leave the league with an owner FWIW. 

I still think protecting 22 will promote competitive balance in a league where it's historically been tough to come by.  The intent was to help new owners like you (Pik's beyond salvation) but if you're gonna go on like some rube in WV who wants his Trumpcare, we can talk about it.

I don't think protecting 30 will provide enough talent to make the draft interesting.  The only way it would be practical is in combination with eliminating in-season amateur pickups.

Eephus said:
I don't think protecting 30 will provide enough talent to make the draft interesting.  The only way it would be practical is in combination with eliminating in-season amateur pickups.
I'd like to see a draft for amateur/int'l prospects right after the MLB draft. 

I don't have 23 good players, so I'm fine with whatever.
...and NV is in third place.

My preference for protecting 22 vs 30 is because I don't think the latter will shift competitive balance to any degree.  The 23rd best player on a team is significantly better than the 31st.  This is true across the board whether you're trying to compete now or build for the future.  I'm willing to give up some talent from my squad to help preserve the league. 

I'd like to see a draft for amateur/int'l prospects right after the MLB draft. 
I think the logistics of getting a mid-summer draft together would be more trouble than it's worth.  The cases like Chris Sale who make a MLB appearance in their draft year are extremely rare.  We wouldn't lose anything by holding off on the amateurs until the following pre-season.

The important part of all this is to have some sort of a draft every year.  Have a draft, people come back, that's how fantasy sports work.

Protect 25

No more international or amateur pickups in-season

3 or 4 round draft

Winning, see you in 2037 when I have six titles. 

The important part of all this is to have some sort of a draft every year.  Have a draft, people come back, that's how fantasy sports work.

Protect 25

No more international or amateur pickups in-season

3 or 4 round draft

Winning, see you in 2037 when I have six titles. 
I can live with this.  The ban on in-season amateur pickups wouldn't start until next year so I think a 3 round draft would make sense in 2018 with possible expansion to 4 the following year when the young 'uns will be in the pool.

In-season free agent pickups of amateur and international players including members of the most recent year's draft class would be prohibited.  First year professionals would become eligible for in-season adds immediately after our pre-season draft.

I still think we should be able to roster international/amateur prospects as long as they're added via the pre-season draft. 

I do kinda like being able to pick up anyone at any age whenever you want, but I can live without it.
I rarely take advantage of it, and it's probably better for competitive balance/offseason interest to go the way being proposed, but the ability to pick up 12 years olds in Korea or the Dominican and stash them away for years was one of the things that made this league unique. Also, we're likely on a watch list now.

Last edited by a moderator:
We still will be able to speculate on internationals and amateurs as long as they're acquired via the pre-season draft

What the heck has been going on in here?  Being able to pick up anyone at any time is the only reason I do this league.  Not happy with restrictions. 

What the heck has been going on in here?  Being able to pick up anyone at any time is the only reason I do this league.  Not happy with restrictions. 
There are seven amateur/international players rostered out of 480 and four of them will be MLB property next week. 

First year players and amateurs will add some intrigue to the pre-season draft

There are seven amateur/international players rostered out of 480 and four of them will be MLB property next week. 

First year players and amateurs will add some intrigue to the pre-season draft
Do I have all seven?

Please give me Florida State commitment Drew Mendoza Shortstop please.  I drop Preston (crap) Tucker.  Thanks.

Also give me Joe Gray jr (Mississippi commit)  Dropped Wheeler.  

Rostered players not in CBS database as of 6 Jun 2017

Jeren Kendall (NCAA) eephus
Seth Beer (NCAA) eephus
Pavin Smith (NCAA) Pik95
Joe Gray Jr. (HS) Pik95
Drew Mendoza (NCAA) Pik95

I am NO on in season amateur pickups(ie no longer allowing them), think I said the same a few pages back. That will be a good change for league health/interest IMO. Flexible regarding pre season draft protection, won't quibble over the number. 

I don't think a lot of us even track the amateurs. I picked up Brendan Rodgers and had an international guy, but that's about it. I have about ten minor league guys I want to grab and don't have any room for them as it is. 

I don't think a lot of us even track the amateurs. I picked up Brendan Rodgers and had an international guy, but that's about it. I have about ten minor league guys I want to grab and don't have any room for them as it is. 
Yeah, same for me. My scout team is full of fringe roster-worthy minor leaguers. I picked up Hunter Greene because I read the SI article in the waiting room at the dentist, but I have no idea who the good amateurs are beyond that. It's hard enough trying to evaluate 19-year-olds raking in Low A, much less high school or college guys.

Yeah, same for me. My scout team is full of fringe roster-worthy minor leaguers. I picked up Hunter Greene because I read the SI article in the waiting room at the dentist, but I have no idea who the good amateurs are beyond that. It's hard enough trying to evaluate 19-year-olds raking in Low A, much less high school or college guys.
So sayeth the guy who added a 15 year old and the guy who traded for him :rolleyes:  

Eephus said:
So sayeth the guy who added a 15 year old and the guy who traded for him :rolleyes:  
We all have our mulligans, old man.  Remember the time John McGraw bought you that hooker in Boston and you said you couldn't do it because you had a "rash." 

Well that happens to all of us. 

Rostered players not in CBS database as of 14 Jun 2017

Seth Beer (NCAA) eephus
Pavin Smith (NCAA) Pik95
Joe Gray Jr. (HS) Pik95
Drew Mendoza (NCAA) Pik95
Keston Hiura (NCAA) Cheese

I picked up the real Hunter Greene and dropped the placeholder. Others should be able to do the same with recent draftees if they haven't yet.

Doctor Detroit suspended for saying someone was as "sharp as a wet bag of mice." What a jerk that guy is. 

He told me to let everyone know they may contact him via telegram or bat signal.  :bye:

Users who are viewing this thread