What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Serious Biz Dynasty Year 17 - Plenty of talent on the come (3 Viewers)

I think last year we protected 20 rather than 22. I'd say 22 sounds good though, since it in theory allows protection of your whole starting lineup.

I made a preliminary list of 22 and I can live with it. I was gonna have a tough time with the last cut, but then Alex Reyes got high.

Berserker is out.

OP updated

2016 Edition

9th year, 2nd board, 3rd thread

13 teams, 37 man rosters, deep league with wide open pickups (amateurs, Cubans, minor leaguers, whoever)

RIP former league members Finless and Tremendous Upside

Link to old thread

Next steps:

Find replacement owner for Berserker

See if Greedygoat's friend still works for CBS

one round add/drop draft in reverse order of 2015 standings

waivers cycle using waivers order carried over from last year.

Open transactions (FCFS) for the remainder of the season

Spartans Rule is holding the funds again this year (I think)
Yes, my friend still works at CBS and I would assume he would "renew" our subscription again this year if asked. I thought I remembered hearing some owners didn't care for the interface or something about getting locked out of start/bench after the first game of the day started.

I don't know why CBS still locks lineups after the first pitch of the day but I'm used to it. The site does a good job of showing probable pitchers so it's possible to plan ahead with platooned players. The league history is in CBS, they have a good database and the price is right.

I'm one of the rebuilding teams that's also trying to field a competitive MLB lineup.

I make moves at the end of the year on the assumption that I'm holding the 37 that I choose to keep around. This is the second year in a row that has not been the case.

You know I'll go along with whatever is decided, which is why you :rolleyes: at me. That's fine. I'll stay out of the discussion.

I :rolleyes: at the notion that my team was 37 deep. Not even 36 plus Billy Butler.

Your argument is legit particularly since it comes from a team that finished 10th last year. I would have assumed opinions would have been split between the teams at the top and bottom but that's apparently not the case.

Maintaining competitive balance is one of the biggest challenges of a dynasty league. Fortunately we've been able to make it through nearly a decade. But the league dynamics have changed a lot since the early days. Teams devote a bigger chunk of their bench to prospects which makes it harder for everybody to rebuild. Owners walking away from rebuilding efforts makes it harder to attract new owners.

I don't know if protecting 22 players will significantly change the talent pool (right now, the top ranked available players in CBS are Asdrubal Cabrera and Gio Gonzalez) but it won't make things worse IMO.

Eephus said:
I :rolleyes: at the notion that my team was 37 deep. Not even 36 plus Billy Butler.

Your argument is legit particularly since it comes from a team that finished 10th last year. I would have assumed opinions would have been split between the teams at the top and bottom but that's apparently not the case.

Maintaining competitive balance is one of the biggest challenges of a dynasty league. Fortunately we've been able to make it through nearly a decade. But the league dynamics have changed a lot since the early days. Teams devote a bigger chunk of their bench to prospects which makes it harder for everybody to rebuild. Owners walking away from rebuilding efforts makes it harder to attract new owners.

I don't know if protecting 22 players will significantly change the talent pool (right now, the top ranked available players in CBS are Asdrubal Cabrera and Gio Gonzalez) but it won't make things worse IMO.
Sorry, not the first time I've misconstrued emojis. Maybe I'm the old, cranky one.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I divide my roster into thirds at this point... 1/3 MLB contributors, 1/3 building blocks for the future and 1/3 that are hopefully a blend of both. No matter how you cut it with the dispersal draft, I'm forced to make tough cuts from the core of the MLB contributor and building block pieces of the pie.

Admittedly, I'm looking at it from a very personalized point of view. It may be best for the league in the larger scope. My one request is that if we're going to make this a yearly thing, we need to set some easy to remember standards for it so that it can be anticipated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think some mini draft every year really keeps people interested. In UBER we keep 23 then have a seven round draft every spring bringing everyone back together. Keeping 30 and having a seven round draft would make this more interesting and not really degrade current team integrity. You'd lose a few single A prospects, maybe a few ####ty vets like Billy Butler, but I think it would add to the league. :2cents:

Stupid question, but I tried to make some lineup changes, just to see what a starting lineup of 22 would look like in case we don't go this route - looks like we can't make changes there yet?

Also, CBS really loves it's videos these days, eh? If you put me on camera, I would likely be very similar to Al Mechior - slight double chin, big glasses, nervous ticks and all.

CBS is now supporting game time lineup deadlines. Starters freeze 5 minutes before scheduled game time of individual players. :thumbup:

ETA: I just selected this option without putting it up for a vote. If anybody wants to keep the old rules, please feel free to jump in so we can scoff at you and your family.

Cheese is taking over Boubucarow's team after managing it last season. Hope all is well IRL for Boub.

Dispersement draft discussion has died down. Unless we decide to change before President's Day, we'll stick with the one round add/drop draft beginning on March 1st. Draft order follows:

Pik95
Arsenal
Dr Detroit/ChemX
RnR
Kraft
rodg12 ex-Berserker
Northern Voice
Greedygoat
Eephus
Hell Toupee
Cheese ex-Boubucarow
Spartans Rule
Hoos First

I still think some offseason dispersal process to shuffle rosters a bit would be a good thing for the league. It would improve competitive balance and more drafts are more good IMO. If we don't do it this year, we should seriously consider it for year #10 of the league.

I still think some offseason dispersal process to shuffle rosters a bit would be a good thing for the league. It would improve competitive balance and more drafts are more good IMO. If we don't do it this year, we should seriously consider it for year #10 of the league.
Agree, I'd be fine with this year but I'm a Noob. Waiting until next year, giving people the time to adjust seems like the best way to get this change passed.

Where do I send the :moneybag:
PayPal $50 to bensanders at gmail - everyone except HellToupee and Cheese who are rolled in from last year.

Last year I proposed we should lock rosters if money wasn't in by opening day and that seemed to speed up the process, so I'll stick with that as the plan.

Yes to annual draft. I say 30 keepers with 7 round draft each year.

I know no one wants to lose any of their guys but keeping 30 is a lot of players.

Doctor Detroit said:
Yes to annual draft. I say 30 keepers with 7 round draft each year.

I know no one wants to lose any of their guys but keeping 30 is a lot of players.
My proposal would be to protect 22 with a 2 (or 3) round draft. A team could only lose 2 (or 3) players.

This would churn up the talent more and disrupt a team's identity less than what that flip-flopping quitter Dr. Detroit is proposing. I don't think he's really a doctor either. :rolleyes:

So why is a team being penalized for building a deep team? This is a dynasty, not a keeper. I took a hit for a few years building my team and now(and last year) Im just suppose to give up players?

So it looks like Hoos and RnR are against rules changes. If one or two more agree with them, we can freeze the 16-17 rules and move on.

while me and dd "split" a team, he really runs the show..........so, if I am needed to run a team I can. I don't think dd would mind either way.

Eephus proposing 22/23 keepers, two owners want nothing, why not keep 30? Good teams stay good, bad teams get some zygotes disposed of by good teams, the middling teams get some Billy Butlers to improve this year, and the league gets a 7 round draft to look forward to.

win, win, win, win

Eephus proposing 22/23 keepers, two owners want nothing, why not keep 30? Good teams stay good, bad teams get some zygotes disposed of by good teams, the middling teams get some Billy Butlers to improve this year, and the league gets a 7 round draft to look forward to.

win, win, win, win
A draft with 30 w/ protected players will just churn around a bunch of guys who'll be available all year as free agents. It's a charade, not real change and is another example of Dr. Detroit wasting the taxpayers' money.

win, win, win, win
A draft with 30 w/ protected players will just churn around a bunch of guys who'll be available all year as free agents. It's a charade, not real change and is another example of Dr. Detroit wasting the taxpayers' money.
Then I'm with RnR and Hoos, #### turd shart fart poopface geriatric taint licker. :thumbup:

win, win, win, win
Then I'm with RnR and Hoos, #### turd shart fart poopface geriatric taint licker. :thumbup:
Hands off my Billy Butler

March 1st - One round add/drop draft with no clock.  Slow draft on this board in reverse order of last year's standings

Two days after completion of add/drop draft - Single waivers cycle on CBS site using CBS waivers order.  Multiple pickups allowed.

Normal FCFS transactions begin immediately after waivers run

Rostered players not in CBS database

Vladimir Guerrero Jr. (Dominican Rep) NV

Jose Miguel Fernandez (Cuba) Dr D/Chem X

Pablo Millan Fernandez (Dodgers) Pik95

Yadier Alvarez (Cuba) Pik95

Chris Shaw (San Francisco) Pik95

Eddy Julio Martinez (Cuba) HellToupee

Jacob Nottingham (Oakland) Pik95

Kenta Maeda (Japan) Eephus

Victor Robles (Washington) Hoos

Anderson Espinoza (Boston) Eephus

Kevin Maitan (Venezuela) SpartansRule

Park Byung-Ho (Korea) HoosFirst

Some of these guys are in the system now but this player list is correct
This list still good? 

I have had a couple of inquiries for my #1 pick.  I plan on keeping it but might move it for a high price.  I'm looking at three possibilities (two international) right now who have great value.

Yu Darvish will be dealt when he is healthy and his value is high fyi.  POSSIBLY Matt Harvey for 2-3 guys may also happen.

Users who are viewing this thread