Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Serious Biz Dynasty Year 14 - Where a guy batting .157 is a big deal


Recommended Posts

I'm in last and probably get hurt in a dispersal more then anyone.  All I have is prospects or good players, no fluff. That being said I'm up for anything that brings the fun. My unprotected would probably be Puig, Matt Harvey, and Tanner Roark fwiw.  Maybe prospect Alex Jackson.  Billy Burns?

Edited by PIK95
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey all, I'm Jake. I'm taking over the Arsenal franchise. With any luck, I'll have this ship turned around within ten short years. Anyone who is in the market for a decent starter (Ryu, Morton, Gausma

From the week one round up: "No Dynasty for Old Men were saving like they grew up in the depression, notching ten overall." 

We actually both wanted to go a different route. But no ####### way we could pass up the shtick of both top picks being yours

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, rodg12 said:

Add/Drop as we wish until the last day of the season?  Then line-ups are locked?

Just wanting to verify that's how things work here.

Correct.

Last day speculation on prospects can be fun. I got Rougned Odor that way a few years ago, along with a few guys I cut the following March.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, RnR said:

If we're willing to alter this, let's talk about eliminating the Saves rat race. Enough is enough.

what would be the fifth pitching category in this strange dystopian future?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RnR said:

Saves+holds?

I like SV in a dynasty/deep bench format better than in a redraft.  It's a lot less random and rewards intelligent speculation, at least until they blow up. 

Prospects at every other position are rated and ranked to death nowadays.  Future closers are below the radar of prospects list but they're out there waiting to be found.  It's as likely to be a failing starter walking 4.5 per 9 in A ball as the guy closing in AAA.

And HLD is a worse category than SV

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Eephus said:

I like SV in a dynasty/deep bench format better than in a redraft.  It's a lot less random and rewards intelligent speculation, at least until they blow up. 

Prospects at every other position are rated and ranked to death nowadays.  Future closers are below the radar of prospects list but they're out there waiting to be found.  It's as likely to be a failing starter walking 4.5 per 9 in A ball as the guy closing in AAA.

And HLD is a worse category than SV

I'll take that as a 'no.'

At this point in our league, it's about who is willing to spend significant roster spots to speculate on meh pitchers and hope they fall into a role. I get that you and a few others like to do that. That's exactly why the climate for the category is miserable.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be cool with chasing saves having less importance but I don't have the better solution either.  

I prefer weekly lineups personally, but guessing I'm on an island. I'd also like CBS to make an app like Y! Or a million others where it's obvious who is in/out of lineup.   There are certain teams I'll never ever beat for runs/RBIs in this league without checking around for lineups, going back into the league, adjusting lineup before lock every single day. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, cheese said:

I'd also like CBS to make an app like Y! Or a million others where it's obvious who is in/out of lineup.   There are certain teams I'll never ever beat for runs/RBIs in this league without checking around for lineups, going back into the league, adjusting lineup before lock every single day. 

Agree, this is my biggest problem with CBS, can't take that much effort to add that feature. <_<

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, cheese said:

I'd be cool with chasing saves having less importance but I don't have the better solution either.  

I prefer weekly lineups personally, but guessing I'm on an island. I'd also like CBS to make an app like Y! Or a million others where it's obvious who is in/out of lineup.   There are certain teams I'll never ever beat for runs/RBIs in this league without checking around for lineups, going back into the league, adjusting lineup before lock every single day. 

I actually like weekly lineups as well, but we'll never get that voted in. haha

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys are taking Serious Business way too seriously.   I check my team in the morning when I remember to.  I rotate my SPs and if Jake Lamb is facing a lefty, I replace him in the starting lineup. 

Real time <> pretend baseball

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cheese said:

There are certain teams I'll never ever beat for runs/RBIs in this league without checking around for lineups, going back into the league, adjusting lineup before lock every single day. 

I was doing this most of the season, but stopped when it became apparent Hoos was uncatchable. I don't miss the tedium of it at all, and would be fine with weekly lineups on the hitter side.

Pitching is a different story though. If it was weekly we'd all need to start 5-6 SP every week to hit the IP limit, and would be limited to 3-4 RP. That changes the whole dynamic of how we roster RPs. Plus I hate the idea of an SP having a week with say, one start at home against the Phillies and another at Coors, and you have to play both or neither.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Eephus said:

You guys are taking Serious Business way too seriously.   I check my team in the morning when I remember to.  I rotate my SPs and if Jake Lamb is facing a lefty, I replace him in the starting lineup. 

Real time <> pretend baseball

Cost you at least 5-7 points in HR, R, RBI because I can pretty much guarantee you got killed in plate appearances. It sounds like I'm whining but I don't really mind anyone doing it. I exploit the rules as much as the next guy. I just think when you have this combination rules and site, you're asking for it to be a huge time suck to hang. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think hording saves is fine in this format.  Since relievers change like underwear in a year there might be complete turnover, and the top guys are trading prospects to secure relief help from the lower tier. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, RnR said:

I do find humor in your time investment in speculating on closers when matched with the criticism of the guys who micromanage their lineups.

:potkettle:

 

Me? I do neither. Nerds.

This league is much more about future talent acquisition than squeezing out every possible PA and IP in the current season.  Most crap closers are short term propositions but not always.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoos seems bound and determined to make his stand on this issue but the lack of competitive balance in this league is serious business.

If you convert fantasy points to a 162 game MLB schedule, there are three teams on pace to win 120 games and six teams who'll lose 95 or more.  Only NV at 75-87 is within ten games of .500.  I realize roto points aren't the true zero sum game that wins and losses are but something is needed that will push teams to the mean.

Maybe the real problem is tanking instead of competitive balance but the latter breeds the former IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have carefully built my team from scratch and I'm not really wanting to leave a bunch of guys unprotected either.  So I understand why Hoos is not happy since he has the best team and has built it over X amount of years, but also see the need for some sort of annual draft.  It's more to keep interest than competitive advantage, I don't think losing players 30-37 on your roster really makes a big difference.  If you go to a larger draft though the league dynamics change and then it's a keeper league, and I think my team is probably gonna suck longer in that scenario. 

Draft is of all unprotected players and free agents, I would also consider not letting anyone pick up anyone not currently owned by a major league franchise (grandfathered).  So all international prospects and players from the previous year's draft class would be in the draft every year.  You could draft high schools, international prospects, your friend's kid in the draft and get a placeholder, but couldn't do those transactions in-season.  That would cut down on sniping of unprotected players in theory, because the first round plus would be prospects.   

Protect 29

6 round draft

Fun for all

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my dispersal proposal from before.  I like it better than Dr. Detroit's because the 31st best players on teams are a lot more interchangeable than the 23rd.

On 8/5/2016 at 11:02 PM, Eephus said:

I'll throw out my pre-season dispersal proposal again.

  • Protect 22 players (a full complement of starters)
  • 2 round dispersal draft in reverse order (non-snake) of season standings - 26 total picks
  • A team can only lose 3 players in the draft so the worst case is a team loses their 23rd-25th best players, but they can pick up somebody else's 23rd and 24th best.
  • A team may draft their own unprotected player
  • Teams that lose more players than they pick-up get an extra compensation pick at the end of the pre-season add/drop draft.

It'll redistribute the wealth a little while preserving the continuity of franchises

 

 

I can get behind his idea to limit non-database pickups to pre-season.  It'll reduce in-season tanking and a first year/amateur draft will be something to look forward to in the off-season.  I won't miss adding unlisted players to the site either.  We'd have to work out some technicalities but it's a good idea IMO.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks fine to me, would prefer a few more rounds but if we don't allow non database players in the previous year at least a handful or more of the picks in the draft are gonna be prospects.  So that also reduces the chance teams lose even two players to the draft, some may lose none. 

Hoos that proposal is no reason to quit as the champ.  You're gonna lose your 23rd, 24th, and 25th best player at worst.  Your great baseball mind can certainly overcome that.  :)

Edited by Doctor Detroit
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

 Hoos that proposal is no reason to quit as the champ.  You're gonna lose your 23rd, 24th, and 25th best player at worst.  Your great baseball mind can certainly overcome that.  :)

Nah Im done if I dont keep all my players. It is what it is. No hard feelings to anyone. The league should draft my players and go to 12 teams. I would have at least 25 of my players drafted.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Hoos First said:
28 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

 Hoos that proposal is no reason to quit as the champ.  You're gonna lose your 23rd, 24th, and 25th best player at worst.  Your great baseball mind can certainly overcome that.  :)

Nah Im done if I dont keep all my players. It is what it is. No hard feelings to anyone. The league should draft my players and go to 12 teams. I would have at least 25 of my players drafted.

How about a Nats game on me next year if you stay?  I'm overtly bribing you here, come on bro.  STAY!!! DEFEND YOUR HOUSE!  At least one year, come on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Hoos First said:

Nah Im done if I dont keep all my players. It is what it is. No hard feelings to anyone. The league should draft my players and go to 12 teams. I would have at least 25 of my players drafted.

Nah, we'll turn your team over to somebody else who will tear it down piece by piece

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Eephus changed the title to Serious Biz Dynasty Year 14 - Where a guy batting .157 is a big deal

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...