What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Serious Biz Dynasty Year 17 - Plenty of talent on the come (5 Viewers)

I think contract and disperse kills two birds with one stone, don't have to worry about a new owner who would be getting a stacked team and seriously affecting comp balance. Additionally dispersing those players should help nicely with the competitive balance issue.   :2cents:

I'd rather have someone take over Hoos' team because I've finished 2nd to him for 2 years and it will feel kind of lame if I win the league because his squad got dispersed.

But I also get that people who recently joined and have been building teams from the bottom up wouldn't want to see some noob get to take over a powerhouse, so I'm fine with a dispersal.

I'd rather have someone take over Hoos' team because I've finished 2nd to him for 2 years and it will feel kind of lame if I win the league because his squad got dispersed.

But I also get that people who recently joined and have been building teams from the bottom up wouldn't want to see some noob get to take over a powerhouse, so I'm fine with a dispersal.
A little smack talk mixed into the dispersal discussion. I like it.

The problem we're trying to correct dates back 2-3 years when owners bailed on a couple of teams with poor talent (Elvis and whoever Meat Panchos was).   We were fortunate to get good replacement owners (and Doctor Detroit) at the time but it was a very steep hill to climb.  It's even tougher now that the league has changed towards being more prospects heavy.

Eliminating the 13th club will give the newer teams a shot at top talent that wouldn't be available via normal means.  The only downside is that it rewards PIK for tanking but the solutions should focus on what makes the league better going forward rather than how we got here.  I think a more balanced league is better; it generates more interest and protects the league if somebody decides to leave in future years.  12 teams will also increase the player pool by 37 so there should be more talent available, not that there isn't plenty already.

1. carve up team Hoos in a two round snake (non-snake?) draft in reverse order of standings

2. protect 22 (?) and do a second two round draft of unprotected players.  A team can only lose three players during this phase

3. roster drops to get everybody back to 37

4. one round add/drop draft

5. waivers run

6.Season-long FCFS (including or not including amateurs?)

Open to other suggestions of course.

The problem we're trying to correct dates back 2-3 years when owners bailed on a couple of teams with poor talent (Elvis and whoever Meat Panchos was).   We were fortunate to get good replacement owners (and Doctor Detroit) at the time but it was a very steep hill to climb.  It's even tougher now that the league has changed towards being more prospects heavy.

Eliminating the 13th club will give the newer teams a shot at top talent that wouldn't be available via normal means.  The only downside is that it rewards PIK for tanking but the solutions should focus on what makes the league better going forward rather than how we got here.  I think a more balanced league is better; it generates more interest and protects the league if somebody decides to leave in future years.  12 teams will also increase the player pool by 37 so there should be more talent available, not that there isn't plenty already.

1. carve up team Hoos in a two round snake (non-snake?) draft in reverse order of standings

2. protect 22 (?) and do a second two round draft of unprotected players.  A team can only lose three players during this phase

3. roster drops to get everybody back to 37

4. one round add/drop draft

5. waivers run

6.Season-long FCFS (including or not including amateurs?)

Open to other suggestions of course.
Thoughts on expanding roster size a bit if we drop to 12 teams? Leaves a little more room to speculate for some that are trying to compete and rebuild at the same time.

Thoughts on expanding roster size a bit if we drop to 12 teams? Leaves a little more room to speculate for some that are trying to compete and rebuild at the same time.
I'd be in favor of bumping up to 40. It keeps some continuity on total number of rostered players in the league (13x37 = 481, 12x40 = 480), gives teams a little more flexibility, plus the idea of a 40-man roster parallels MLB.

For simplicity's sake I think we should do a 3-round non-snake draft of Hoos players (and free agents?) to get everyone up to 40. We suspend the competitive balance draft for this year since it's meant to A. Give us a little draft for fun and B. Even out the balance of power.... and I think the Hoos draft accomplishes both. We can bring it back next year.

My thinking was the third round of a Hoosdraft would be largely irrelevant.

I'm not sure if I like roster expansion.  I like the idea that roster decisions should be tough and larger rosters can only diminish this.

What's the thinking on eliminating in-season amateur pickups?  I think if we keep those _and_ expand rosters, most of those extras slots will end up being speculative.

I'm in favor of a bump to a 40 man roster with just 12 teams.

One thought is a 3 round non-snake draft of Hoos roster and any other available players to get everyone up to 40.  Then, forgo the competitive balance draft until next offseason.  We could still do the one round add/drop draft later in spring training as well as the waivers run.

I'm still in favor of being able to pick-up amateurs/that year's draft picks in season.

just wanted to let folks knows i'd like to be considered for membership in baseball leagues with FFApers i know. redraft, dynasty (tho i don't play that for big money cuz its a sucker play for latecomers), contract, whatever. been a while since i done heavy prospect work, but i catch on quick. i'm a good owner looking to get back in action on my favorite sport. holla -

ETA: no simulator stuff, tho - dont understand that

Last edited by a moderator:
I think X wants his own team, wikkid wants in also. 

Come on, it's a $50 league, you can fight with a street bum on a bet for more than that. 

I also don't get why hoos quit, his team is pretty top heavy. 
Yeah, strange hill to die on for Hoos.  His 23rd best player isn't going to shift the balance of power against him.

We've been through the Hoos drama multiple times. 

Going forward, my vote is for contraction.  With all due respect to X and wikkidpissah, I think we'd be better off with twelve teams.  The bad teams will get better off the remains of team Hoos and we'll move on.

We've been through the Hoos drama multiple times. 

Going forward, my vote is for contraction.  With all due respect to X and wikkidpissah, I think we'd be better off with twelve teams.  The bad teams will get better off the remains of team Hoos and we'll move on.
I was saying wikkid/X in case others drop out.

I think splitting Hoos in 2 plus end of our rosters filler could make 2 competitive teams if we wanted to let both guys in and not hand 1 of them a superpower. 

Stay man, it's $50.

im looking forward to this league over all others. Kind of screwed myself by trying to be decent last year, but hoos team has 10 or so plumb picks. Pik getting Arenado sucks but whatever. 

Yahoo? I do almost all of my fantasy stuff on my phone and CBS app is kind of awful next to Yahoo's...
I vaguely recall looking into this before and I don't think Yahoo could handle our rules.

ETA:   maximum roster size of 30, limited minor league database, no manual adding of unlisted players

Last edited by a moderator:
Stay man, it's $50.

im looking forward to this league over all others. Kind of screwed myself by trying to be decent last year, but hoos team has 10 or so plumb picks. Pik getting Arenado sucks but whatever. 
Is he the pick?  I thought my Red Sox guy.  I haven't looked at anything yet fwiw.

When will we be doing that draft and opening up trading?  I'm trying to resist the urge to add another league.

I think contract and disperse kills two birds with one stone, don't have to worry about a new owner who would be getting a stacked team and seriously affecting comp balance. Additionally dispersing those players should help nicely with the competitive balance issue.   :2cents:
I am interested in TT, NM, and JUrias once trading opens.  I should have a stud or two and some kids to trade once everything plays out.

OK.  Let's light this candle.

1. @greedygoat is looking for a partner.  @wikkidpissah@cosjobs@Chemical X have expressed interest.  The parties involved can work this out.
  2. Unless somebody objects, I'm going to break up Hoos' team and place his players in with the FAs.  The league will contract from 13 to 12.
  3. We need to decide whether to keep roster size at 37 or increase to up to 40
  4. Depending on the decision in item #3, we'll do a 2 or 3 round draft (non-snake in reverse order of 2016 standings). 
  5. The idea of eliminating in-season pickups of amateurs seems to be dying unless somebody wants to take up the cause.
  6. We'll also do a waivers run before the start of FCFS.

Users who are viewing this thread