What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Brandin Cooks, DAL (1 Viewer)

Meh, only had 1000 yards and 7 TDs in the most powerful offense of the modern era.  Had less than 40 yards in 6 of 16 games...the type of performances that lose fantasy games.

I can get that kind of production from Kenny Stills several rounds later.

HARD PASS at an ADP of 4.10 in redrafts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we talking dynasty or redraft? 4.10 is rich for me in redraft, but im trying to buy in dynasty still.

As a Cooks owner in my main league I watched every snap last year.  Can’t tell you how many time I ended up screaming at Brady on TV.  His deep ball was absolutely garbage. Had to be at least 20+ badly thrown balls with half a dozen resulting in PI calls.  It was ridiculously frustrating.  
Bingo. I’m all in. 

As a Cooks owner in my main league I watched every snap last year.  Can’t tell you how many time I ended up screaming at Brady on TV.  His deep ball was absolutely garbage. Had to be at least 20+ badly thrown balls with half a dozen resulting in PI calls.  It was ridiculously frustrating.  
So you are confident Goff will find him deep?

Correct me if i am wrong, but isn't the league average on hitting those 30+ yard downfield throws less than 50 percent? I mean the ball traveling 30 yards in the air. If so how much regression do you think Cooks will have?

And another set of balls he had to wait for and got tackled instead of high-steppin' in to the end zone. 

Correct me if i am wrong, but isn't the league average on hitting those 30+ yard downfield throws less than 50 percent? I mean the ball traveling 30 yards in the air. If so how much regression do you think Cooks will have?
I feel good about another 1k plus 7 like the last 3 years. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Patriots/comments/8bhzaj/brandin_cooks_is_one_of_the_worst_wrs_in_the_nfl/

Where Brandin Cooks excels is in off man coverage so he can avoid contact at the line and use his speed to get downfield seperation.  He’s actually a lot worse than the average NFL receiver when it comes to lining up on the line of scrimmage and getting contact from the CB at the snap (press coverage).

But McVay’s clearly said Cook will be the X receiver, which means he’ll line up on the line of scrimmage and not off of it most of the time.  He’s going to be in press coverage a lot as a result. 

We’ll have a good test of how much this hurts him week 1.  Oakland CB Rashaan Melvin is a beast in man coverage when he’s able to press a WR at the line, if McVay finds a way to free Cooks up and play to his strengths against a corner like Melvin I’ll be a lot less scared about my #2 receiver than I am right now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Patriots/comments/8bhzaj/brandin_cooks_is_one_of_the_worst_wrs_in_the_nfl/

Where Brandin Cooks excels is in off man coverage so he can avoid contact at the line and use his speed to get downfield seperation.  He’s actually a lot worse than the average NFL receiver when it comes to lining up on the line of scrimmage and getting contact from the CB at the snap (press coverage).
I pointed this out in the general dynasty value thread and people got mad at me. It is why I think he'll always be a complementary NFL WR2 rather than a true target hog WR1, no matter what he gets paid.

Ya I regret this pick big time more I read up on him.

I’m gonna pray he breaks loose for some TDs first week or two and then try and trade him.

Rams mainly just wanted somebody to stretch the D after Sammy left or they would have given the Giants what they wanted for ODB and they’d have a true #1 in that spot.

If the WR room stays healthy a couple hundred more yards than Sammy had last year with less TDs is Cooks ceiling I’m thinking.

Ya I regret this pick big time more I read up on him.

I’m gonna pray he breaks loose for some TDs first week or two and then try and trade him.

Rams mainly just wanted somebody to stretch the D after Sammy left or they would have given the Giants what they wanted for ODB and they’d have a true #1 in that spot.

If the WR room stays healthy a couple hundred more yards than Sammy had last year with less TDs is Cooks ceiling I’m thinking.
I don't dislike Cooks as a fantasy WR2. I wouldn't sweat it if I was you. The guy can put up WR2 numbers off of just 100-110 targets. 

Got him as my WR3 in my redraft league the other night at the 4~5 turn, great value IMO. I expect him to be pretty close to 1K yards again with ~8 TD's with the way the Rams offense works.

Got him as my WR3 in my redraft league the other night at the 4~5 turn, great value IMO. I expect him to be pretty close to 1K yards again with ~8 TD's with the way the Rams offense works.
I didn’t watch much of the game, but was very happy to see he had 8 targets and led them in receiving yards. I know the Raider D isn’t very good, but usage was my big concern. I think he’s a decent WR2 in standard leagues and low end WR2/high end WR 3 in PPR 

I didn’t watch much of the game, but was very happy to see he had 8 targets and led them in receiving yards. I know the Raider D isn’t very good, but usage was my big concern. I think he’s a decent WR2 in standard leagues and low end WR2/high end WR 3 in PPR 
Apparently several PI’s as well. Sooner or later (sooner) Goff and him will connect on some big play TD’s.

Apparently several PI’s as well. Sooner or later (sooner) Goff and him will connect on some big play TD’s.
Yeah, they so far seem pretty content to have Cooks run the Jump Ball Joe Flacco Offense and just try to draw flags. Seemed to be working 50% of the time. They clearly are going to use him to stretch the field and challenge safeties. So refreshing to see a coach using his players to their strengths.

He drew two big PI calls, and Goff was looking for him over the middle as well.. he looked very solid and will be a def big part of this offense.  He slid way down for me in the draft and I am happy to have grabbed him as my 3rd wr, happy to have him.

All I could think about last night was that I was debating Cooper and Cooks in my 14 teamer and went with  :X

He looked good last night.  Ran a bunch of different routes and looked every inch the talent he is.  Last night proved they are going to use him in ways Sammy never got used so his floor and ceiling are higher.  

I only watched the 1st half so I only saw his 6 yard catch, 5 yard run and the 2 PIs for 80+ yards. I liked how they were moving him around, but man, Goff's deep pass looked just like Brady's last year week 1. Late and short.

I only watched the 1st half so I only saw his 6 yard catch, 5 yard run and the 2 PIs for 80+ yards. I liked how they were moving him around, but man, Goff's deep pass looked just like Brady's last year week 1. Late and short.
He adjusted somewhat later.

saw the same, but not like Brady's in that I think this is just timing. that first half was essentially the first team's preseason. they must have read the same scouting reports posted all over this board in the preseason that Cooks is at his worst when contended off the line and in stride so they seemed to be content risking the interference calls. that and the raiders secondary clearly couldn't keep up with him. great sign for Cooks for the season imo, Goff looked for him early and often. :thumbup:

Cooks looked pretty good - still kind of a 1-trick wonder IMO. 

They seemed pretty intent on forcing the ball to him in the 1st half, and really got away from the run. He got hot in the 2nd half, and the Rams kept throwing on 1st down despite their lead. 

Weird game. I expect the Rams to normalize a bit going forward - they were pass happy even for a guy who's known to be pass happy. It looked like they wanted to show off their shiny new toy & make a statement that it was a good investment. Just barely overthrew him on a couple bombs, too. 

Got what I expected. It's the Todd Gurley show with scraps going to Brandin Cooks.

Sure, those PI penalties are annoying. But they ensure that he's going to continue to see targets.

Free yards for the offense.

I think he was over-projected by FBG ( avged WR17) but still took him in thh WR25 range in a couple drafts.  Very promising target share and targets deep. He had at least three deep ball targets and two were called on PIs.  Converting only one of those each games, plus his intermediate catches, makes him an every week starter in any format. 

Cooks looked pretty good - still kind of a 1-trick wonder IMO

They seemed pretty intent on forcing the ball to him in the 1st half, and really got away from the run. He got hot in the 2nd half, and the Rams kept throwing on 1st down despite their lead. 

Weird game. I expect the Rams to normalize a bit going forward - they were pass happy even for a guy who's known to be pass happy. It looked like they wanted to show off their shiny new toy & make a statement that it was a good investment. Just barely overthrew him on a couple bombs, too. 
I really have never understood this.  I don’t see that at all.  Just look at yesterday’s game, he ran all kinds of routes and performed well.  Made multiple catches over the middle (1 he got creamed and popped right up) ran the 9 well and also runs the jet sweep.  Nothing about his game screams 1 trick wonder to me.  

Now does he struggle with tight man coverage?  Seems to sometimes....

I really have never understood this.  I don’t see that at all.  Just look at yesterday’s game, he ran all kinds of routes and performed well.  Made multiple catches over the middle (1 he got creamed and popped right up) ran the 9 well and also runs the jet sweep.  Nothing about his game screams 1 trick wonder to me.  

Now does he struggle with tight man coverage?  Seems to sometimes....
He ran multiple routes. 

The only ones he got open on were over the middle. 

He ran streaks downfield & either under-ran/over-ran or Goff missed him short or long, but mostly he was used the same way he's been used. Posts/streaks, or crossing patterns. 

He doesn't run a diverse route tree - it's not a huge knock. The kid has good hands, and above average speed. He's just a bit limited in how teams seem to use him, whether he's capable of more or not he's had the same MO on 3 teams. 

Maybe he'll show us more this year. Maybe he won't. But I have yet to see a stop-and-go, a button-hook, a double-move or any other complex route from him. Slants & streaks. ("I like snakes & sparklers"?) is about how teams want to use him - maybe it's his limitation or maybe 3 different teams simply choose to use him that way. 

If he ran other routes, he wasn't targeted or didn't get open.   :shrug:

Like I said - it's not a knock on the player. Just an observation. He was actually utilized better by the Rams in 1 game than the Pats all last season so I saw it as an improvement...

Got what I expected. It's the Todd Gurley show with scraps going to Brandin Cooks.

Sure, those PI penalties are annoying. But they ensure that he's going to continue to see targets.

Free yards for the offense.
And the entire league will be doing  that against the Raiders all year. That they struggled with coverage of Cooks is a bad sign...especially considering they'll see Tyreek the Freak & Keenan Allen 2X ea. Not to mention Sanders/Thomas 2X. 

The Raiders are in deep trouble with their secondary. Mack made a mediocre secondary look at least competent with pressure. When a QB has all day to wind up & throw, it'll be a loooooooong day for the Raiders defense. 

Doesn’t look like he’s going to get a meaningful amount number of red zone targets.  Understandable for a small receiver used to stretch the field with his speed, but thats the big downside fantasy-wise for me.

If at any point his stock raises high enough that I can get a legit WR2 Im trading high.

He ran multiple routes. 

The only ones he got open on were over the middle. 

He ran streaks downfield & either under-ran/over-ran or Goff missed him short or long, but mostly he was used the same way he's been used. Posts/streaks, or crossing patterns. 

He doesn't run a diverse route tree - it's not a huge knock. The kid has good hands, and above average speed. He's just a bit limited in how teams seem to use him, whether he's capable of more or not he's had the same MO on 3 teams. 

Maybe he'll show us more this year. Maybe he won't. But I have yet to see a stop-and-go, a button-hook, a double-move or any other complex route from him. Slants & streaks. ("I like snakes & sparklers"?) is about how teams want to use him - maybe it's his limitation or maybe 3 different teams simply choose to use him that way. 

If he ran other routes, he wasn't targeted or didn't get open.   :shrug:

Like I said - it's not a knock on the player. Just an observation. He was actually utilized better by the Rams in 1 game than the Pats all last season so I saw it as an improvement...
This is just from the game last night.  Seems diverse to me. :shrug:

Doesn’t look like he’s going to get a meaningful amount number of red zone targets.  Understandable for a small receiver used to stretch the field with his speed, but thats the big downside fantasy-wise for me.

If at any point his stock raises high enough that I can get a legit WR2 Im trading high.
24 TDs the last 3 years........I wouldn't trade him. He certainly has some limitations but he is now playing with an elite young QB and the best offensive mind in the NFL. They just targeted him 10 times in a game all over the field l'd hold or trade for him. 

Rephrasing - as I said in the post - maybe he does run it, but only adeptly on those two types of routes since that's where 99% of his production seems to be. 

Maybe he runs 1000 different routes, but he's only successful with deep outs or crossing patterns. 

That's how it was with the Saints, & also with the Pats. Maybe the Rams will use him more creatively with success. So far he looked good, but with the same types of routes he's always been successful. 

Hopefully that's more clear. 

24 TDs the last 3 years........I wouldn't trade him. He certainly has some limitations but he is now playing with an elite young QB and the best offensive mind in the NFL. They just targeted him 10 times in a game all over the field l'd hold or trade for him. 
I would probably hold as well, for the same reasons. I think he's in for some big games. 

Raiders aren't an offensive juggernaut, and injuries happen on defense. If the Rams face stiffer offensive competition, and/or take a couple hits in the secondary I could see Cooks being a primary beneficiary. 

I am likely benching Cooks for Tyler Lockett. I get 1 point per 25 return yards, so that helps Lockett with an extra 2 points or so a week. Without that, him and Cooks had similar stat lines. Lockett is a lock (no pun intended) for more targets it seems. I'm not so sure that TE will be off any other teams' radars this year, and Baldwin is out. Marshall looks awesome, and I can admit I was dead wrong about him, but overall I think Lockett stands to have more guaranteed targets in the short term than Cooks. 

I'm torn though, because Cooks has a much higher ceiling than Lockett. Lockett just seems to have the lower floor and less competition for targets. 

@Just Win Baby any thoughts on these two? 

I am likely benching Cooks for Tyler Lockett. I get 1 point per 25 return yards, so that helps Lockett with an extra 2 points or so a week. Without that, him and Cooks had similar stat lines. Lockett is a lock (no pun intended) for more targets it seems. I'm not so sure that TE will be off any other teams' radars this year, and Baldwin is out. Marshall looks awesome, and I can admit I was dead wrong about him, but overall I think Lockett stands to have more guaranteed targets in the short term than Cooks. 

I'm torn though, because Cooks has a much higher ceiling than Lockett. Lockett just seems to have the lower floor and less competition for targets. 

@Just Win Baby any thoughts on these two? 
I think Cooks is a much better receiver than Lockett, but 1 point per 25 return yards helps to offset a bit. Last season, that equated to roughly 3 ppg. Still, I don't think I could start Lockett over Cooks unless Cooks or Goff were hurt.

Rephrasing - as I said in the post - maybe he does run it, but only adeptly on those two types of routes since that's where 99% of his production seems to be. 

Maybe he runs 1000 different routes, but he's only successful with deep outs or crossing patterns. 

That's how it was with the Saints, & also with the Pats. Maybe the Rams will use him more creatively with success. So far he looked good, but with the same types of routes he's always been successful. 

Hopefully that's more clear. 
Another game from last year with multiple routes

I mean, you can look here at all of them if you want.  What you're saying isn't what I'm seeing there at all.  Here's a route tree and I'm seeing examples of every one of them in just those 12 games that are charted. 

And as a final note, this from last year shows that he can use multiple moves during his routes as well better than anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread