What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Brandin Cooks, DAL (2 Viewers)

I think Cooks is a much better receiver than Lockett, but 1 point per 25 return yards helps to offset a bit. Last season, that equated to roughly 3 ppg. Still, I don't think I could start Lockett over Cooks unless Cooks or Goff were hurt.
Yeah that's where I'm at. I just don't like being dependent on a fly-route WR. All off season I read about how Cooks' route tree is so great, but all I ever see is deep balls for him. No matter what team he was on. 

Helps I have Goff to stack with Cooks... Maybe I'll stick with that. 

Another game from last year with multiple routes

I mean, you can look here at all of them if you want.  What you're saying isn't what I'm seeing there at all.  Here's a route tree and I'm seeing examples of every one of them in just those 12 games that are charted. 

And as a final note, this from last year shows that he can use multiple moves during his routes as well better than anyone.
Thank you for this. Answers my post above. Encouraging to see this rather than what I saw last night. 

I only saw him targeted on one crossing pattern. I'm no expert, but I would characterize his 10 targets as follows:

• 1 fly route - PI
  • 1 deep post - PI
  • 1 crossing pattern - complete
  • 2 skinny posts - both complete
  • 2 curls - both complete
  • 3 outs - all incomplete
I don't see a huge difference between a fly route & a deep post. One runs towards the sidelines really fast. The other runs towards the goal post really fast. 

I dunno - I didn't recall seeing the curls but I take your word for it. 

As I've now said twice - he looked like he was utilized more and in different ways as he was with the Pats. But most of his success came on the same types of simple routes.  

Another game from last year with multiple routes

I mean, you can look here at all of them if you want.  What you're saying isn't what I'm seeing there at all.  Here's a route tree and I'm seeing examples of every one of them in just those 12 games that are charted. 

And as a final note, this from last year shows that he can use multiple moves during his routes as well better than anyone.
Interesting info - cool site, too.

Maybe it's just because every time I look up he's running a streak/post/go route, and on many of the more complex routes another WR seems to be targeted, or at least he's not making those catches much.  :shrug:

Probably also why so many say he's a 1-trick guy. 

I agree with those who've said the Rams can probably get more out of him since they're a very creative offense. I'm a little surprised he was so ineffective with the Pats. 

I don't see a huge difference between a fly route & a deep post. One runs towards the sidelines really fast. The other runs towards the goal post really fast. 

I dunno - I didn't recall seeing the curls but I take your word for it. 

As I've now said twice - he looked like he was utilized more and in different ways as he was with the Pats. But most of his success came on the same types of simple routes.  
You may not see a difference, but a fade, a corner, and a post route are all about the same yet make up 3 of the 9 routes in a route tree.  A flat is the same as an out except done closer to the line of scrimmage.  Comeback and curl are the same, just the direction you turn.  But in the end, that's essentially your route tree.  And he can do all of them and does.

If he commands this target share he's a pretty safe bet to be a top 10 WR this year........
That's the big mystery - how pass happy will the Rams get?  If it's the Todd Gurley show, he might not get the volume to be top 10. 

If they play like they did against the Raiders (e.g. throwing on 1st down when up 13 in mid-4th quarter) he's gonna help a lot of teams win championships. 

I see it somewhere in the middle, with opponent competence dictating game-flow. 

You may not see a difference, but a fade, a corner, and a post route are all about the same yet make up 3 of the 9 routes in a route tree.  A flat is the same as an out except done closer to the line of scrimmage.  Comeback and curl are the same, just the direction you turn.  But in the end, that's essentially your route tree.  And he can do all of them and does.
Fair enough.  Seems like he's had more success on the simpler routes. 

Also, I do see a difference. It's not a huge difference. As you said yourself, they're 3 types of the same play. 

I do expect some of those posts/fades turning into long TDs though, so there's reason for optimism, even though the Raiders committed the OPI's. 

It'll be interesting to see if the Rams use him to his fullest potential. Surprising the Saints & Pats didn't, considering the offensive pedigree of those passing games. 

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the big mystery - how pass happy will the Rams get?  If it's the Todd Gurley show, he might not get the volume to be top 10. 

If they play like they did against the Raiders (e.g. throwing on 1st down when up 13 in mid-4th quarter) he's gonna help a lot of teams win championships. 

I see it somewhere in the middle, with opponent competence dictating game-flow. 
Well he's been top 10 before with less targets. Brady actually held him back a little last season imo missing him deep lots. Goff missed him last night but I expect them to improve on that. 120+ targets and he's gold where he was drafted. I was hoping for 110-115 and still loved Cooks this year. 

If he commands this target share he's a pretty safe bet to be a top 10 WR this year........
He got 24% of the attempts, and is on pace for 128 targets. That would put him ranked 13th last year, right behind Dez Bryant. However the percent of targets is in line with a guy like Demaryius Thomas, who finished WR10. A lot to like with that statistic for a guy many took as their WR2/3

Well he's been top 10 before with less targets. Brady actually held him back a little last season imo missing him deep lots. Goff missed him last night but I expect them to improve on that. 120+ targets and he's gold where he was drafted. I was hoping for 110-115 and still loved Cooks this year. 
Agreed. I wanted him this year, but he kept going 5-7 picks before my pick since I drafted at both bookends (1.01 & 1.11, respectively). 

Definitely looking like a value pick. 

ETA: looking at my 1.11 draft I took Diggs at 4.02, and Cooks went 4.05, a pick I'd make 100x out of 100. In my 1.01 league he went about the same, at 4.07, and I landed Thielen at 4.12, so no complaints there either. 

Agreed. I wanted him this year, but he kept going 5-7 picks before my pick since I drafted at both bookends (1.01 & 1.11, respectively). 

Definitely looking like a value pick. 

ETA: looking at my 1.11 draft I took Diggs at 4.02, and Cooks went 4.05, a pick I'd make 100x out of 100. In my 1.01 league he went about the same, at 4.07, and I landed Thielen at 4.12, so no complaints there either. 
I'd take Thielen over Cooks but not Diggs. Hard for Diggs to outscore Cooks if he's the #2 on the Vikes which I think he is. I know that's not a popular opinion but Thielen is really really good at what he does. One of the best route runners in the league.......

He got 24% of the attempts, and is on pace for 128 targets. That would put him ranked 13th last year, right behind Dez Bryant. However the percent of targets is in line with a guy like Demaryius Thomas, who finished WR10. A lot to like with that statistic for a guy many took as their WR2/3
It's kind of tricky since Cooks draws so many PI calls as the penalty negates the play and hence the target is not recorded.

Practically, Cooks had 10 targets last night (160 target pace).  It is just only recorded as 8 in the stat book because the two PIs are not counted.

I'd take Thielen over Cooks but not Diggs. Hard for Diggs to outscore Cooks if he's the #2 on the Vikes which I think he is. I know that's not a popular opinion but Thielen is really really good at what he does. One of the best route runners in the league.......
IMO that will vary week to week. They're more like 1A/1B week to week, and Diggs is a better RZ target. 

So what you lose in receptions, you make up for in TDs. Seems like a wash, with Thielen having the better weekly floor. 

Diggs is my WR2 behind Allen in one league & Thielen my WR3 behind Evans/Hill in the other, so I feel pretty good with either. 

Between them & Cooks, it's pretty close - at the time I felt like Diggs was a safer bet since I'd not yet seem much of Cooks playing in LAR. Hindsight being 20-20 it seems like a pick-em, but I am also a Diggs guy - I think he has top 5 WR upside if he stays healthy, and IMO he's got a higher ceiling than Thielen. 

And I still have them both slightly higher than Cooks, though it's really, really close. 

It's kind of tricky since Cooks draws so many PI calls as the penalty negates the play and hence the target is not recorded.

Practically, Cooks had 10 targets last night (160 target pace).  It is just only recorded as 8 in the stat book because the two PIs are not counted.
Yeah, but IMO that's because against the Raiders inept secondary they tried it once, and it worked so they kept doing it. I know that's what I'd do if I were a HC. 

Against a team like MIN or Denver or pretty much any team with a competent secondary those deep shots will result in coverage or Ints. 

I wouldn't expect a 160 target pace - that had "against the Raiders" written all over it as opposed to something you can truly base a meaningful projection on. Not saying they won't be taking those shots, just likely not with that frequency. 

IMO that will vary week to week. They're more like 1A/1B week to week, and Diggs is a better RZ target. 

So what you lose in receptions, you make up for in TDs. Seems like a wash, with Thielen having the better weekly floor. 

Diggs is my WR2 behind Allen in one league & Thielen my WR3 behind Evans/Hill in the other, so I feel pretty good with either. 

Between them & Cooks, it's pretty close - at the time I felt like Diggs was a safer bet since I'd not yet seem much of Cooks playing in LAR. Hindsight being 20-20 it seems like a pick-em, but I am also a Diggs guy - I think he has top 5 WR upside if he stays healthy, and IMO he's got a higher ceiling than Thielen. 

And I still have them both slightly higher than Cooks, though it's really, really close. 
Since you mentioned TDs, and I'm assuming you mean Diggs is a better RZ target than Thielen, it's still worth mentioning that, over the last 3 years (from 2015-2017), only 5 WRs have more TDs than Cooks (24) -- A. Brown (31), Baldwin (29), Hopkins (28), OBJ (26), and Crabtree (25). 

And on that same subject, Cooks is also 7th in yards over the last 3 years (3393) with only Brown and Hopkins on the list above ahead of him. 

And since many of us do PPR, it's helpful to know he's 11th in receptions over that time frame too (227).

And now his targets may actually finally go up like some of his colleagues on the list above (never had more than 129). 

Since you mentioned TDs, and I'm assuming you mean Diggs is a better RZ target than Thielen, it's still worth mentioning that, over the last 3 years (from 2015-2017), only 5 WRs have more TDs than Cooks (24) -- A. Brown (31), Baldwin (29), Hopkins (28), OBJ (26), and Crabtree (25). 

And on that same subject, Cooks is also 7th in yards over the last 3 years (3393) with only Brown and Hopkins on the list above ahead of him. 

And since many of us do PPR, it's helpful to know he's 11th in receptions over that time frame too (227).

And now his targets may actually finally go up like some of his colleagues on the list above (never had more than 129). 
All good stats to know. And I just didn't have faith that 

1. His woes with the Pats were on the QB/OC

2. His being kicked around the league wasn't indicative of some deeper issue - again, because the Saints & Pats are both known as pass happy offensive teams, yet they didn't keep him around either situation 

3. The Rams strike me as more of a run-based team, so I wondered how he'd be utilized. 

4. I was higher on both Diggs & Thielen since last year, and believe both have room for improvement. Especially Diggs. 

That said, it looks like those who took a chance on Cooks are being rewarded for it so far. But it's important also to consider that it's a 1-game sample size, against a weak Raiders secondary (bottom 5 in the league IMO) and in a MNF game where I think there was a little "run it up against your 100M coach, welcome back Gruden" schtick going on. 

One game does not make a season, and projecting 17 games from 1 game is a bit silly. We're all a little guilty of it - I know I'm looking at Tyreek on one of my rosters with stars in my eyes over what that projects to (as an aside Cooks projects to 0 TDs in 17 games based on game 1 :P  ) but we all know strange things happen depending on game-flow & matchups, and week to week the target #s will change. 

But he's looking to be at least worthy of his mid-4th ADP, and possibly much better IF this becomes a trend and IF they start using him in the RZ. 

As a primary target for 2 of the greatest QBs to play the game in Brees then Brady, Cooks' TD totals are both eye-popping, and likely unsustainable unless Goff becomes the next Brees or Brady.  If Cooks was still in NOLA though, he'd probably be going in the 2nd round, like he did his 1st year in NEP.  :shrug: As the saying goes, past performance doesn't predict future results. 

But that's part of the fun of this game - making WAG's at who's going to improve, fall off, or be worthy of where they're being drafted. So far so good for Cooks. I think he's a solid WR.  But IMO the jury is still out on his 2018 production with a young QB on what I still expect to be a slightly run-heavier team. With that defense, and the ability to take a lead, I just don't see why they wouldn't lean on Gurley as the closer. But of course, I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the 1st time. ;)  

I did not know that was not counted but that makes sense!

Well it's close for you so I won't try to change your mind. 

Reason I’d trade Cooks for a legit WR2 isn’t about Cooks, tons of talent, great player with elite speed.

My issue is I’ve got him as my WR2 in a 12 team league and I think his 2018 ceiling is WR#20, so he’s better suited as a flex if I want to win the league.

The reason isn’t Cooks it’s his usage

- Week 1 showed predictions he won’t hit 1000 yards in 2018 are quite possibly wrong.  But week 1 confirmed predictions his TD number will fall off from previous years.  Zero red zone targets. Zero.  He’s gonna get more receptions and yards than Sammy, but he’s not seeing and will not see Sammy’s end zone looks.

- If they needed a feature WR1 Cooks wouldn’t be on the team, they’d have traded 2 first round picks for OBJ. They didn’t go looking for Cooks until after they turned that offer down.  

-Why not payup for OBJ? Because McVay primarily wants a field stretcher.  If you read his comments on Cooks since the summer it’s very clear that’s Cooks primary role.  If that field stretching WR has a big game great.  If that WR pulls the safeties over and opens up the middle of the field for a big game for the slot guy that’s great too.

Great WR, but not a high end WR2 by season’s end due to usage/role in this offense.

Route tree from last week looks nothing like most of Watkins’ games from last year.  Routes are noticeably less vertical.  All his receptions Week 1 came routes from the left side of the offense where he either turns to the middle of the field or crosses the middle of the field.

Hope they keep playing to his strengths.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/list/route/los-angeles-rams/season/week

(Thats the whole Rams team you have to scroll down a bit to find some Sammy charts if you want to compare.)

Reason I’d trade Cooks for a legit WR2 isn’t about Cooks, tons of talent, great player with elite speed.

My issue is I’ve got him as my WR2 in a 12 team league and I think his 2018 ceiling is WR#20, so he’s better suited as a flex if I want to win the league.

- Week 1 showed predictions he won’t hit 1000 yards in 2018 are quite possibly wrong.  But week 1 confirmed predictions his TD number will fall off from previous years.  Zero red zone targets. Zero.  He’s gonna get more receptions and yards than Sammy, but he’s not seeing and will not see Sammy’s end zone looks.

- If they needed a feature WR1 Cooks wouldn’t be on the team, they’d have traded 2 first round picks for OBJ. They didn’t go looking for Cooks until after they turned that offer down.  

-Why not payup for OBJ? Because McVay primarily wants a field stretcher.  If you read his comments on Cooks since the summer it’s very clear that’s Cooks primary role.  If that field stretching WR has a big game great.  If that WR pulls the safeties over and opens up the middle of the field for a big game for the slot guy that’s great too.

Great WR, but not a high end WR2 by season’s end due to usage/role in this offense.
None of these points make any sense to be. 

- quoting red zone targets in one game. Its a small sample size.

- they traded for cooks because obj was never made available

- obj is a field stretcher 

You think that you can accurately project his TD totals after one week?

what if he scores 3 TDs today?

Dr. Octopus said:
You think that you can accurately project his TD totals after one week?

what if he scores 3 TDs today?
With three Cooks TDs I’d probably win this week though so that would be amazing.  I didn’t project any TD totals though so you should take issue up with the entire industry that does.  

Like I posted, route tree last week was totally different than Watkins.  Thought it would be obvious but that’s a good thing fantasy-wise, we don’t want him to have Watkins 17 season.  But ya Sammy was a larger RZ target and was used that way, Cooks either breaks loose or he doesn’t get the TD most drives.  No different than last year with the Pats.

Dr. Octopus said:
It’s usually the same people saying that over and over - and they’re wrong.
Just to make sure you're not lumping me in with that group, I've only said that his reception perception data points to some holes in his game. Big difference between being a one trick pony vs. merely missing a few tricks while excelling at several others. Contested catches are a weak spot for him, so the red zone looks will likely continue to be few and far between, but if I was an owner, I'd be ok with 10 targets a game (those PIs count in my book) even if zero were in the red zone. Some very encouraging week 1 usage. Actually, week 1 usage was encouraging for ALL the fantasy relevant WRs on the Rams. Pretty rare for the WR4+ to get zero targets. Also zero to the TE, I think.

Cooks is 4th in receiving yards through 2 weeks. I'll take that all day. The long TDs will come but if he keeps gets these targets......he's on a 96-1968-0.

We know he's not hitting 1900 yards and probably less than 96 catches but he's likely getting 5+ TDs.....

85-1350-5 would be sweet. 

What's getting me excited is he seems like Goff's go to receiver all ready and he's locked in with this team for the next 3-4 years. 

They seem to fit well together......
I watched some of the game.

He was WIDE open uncovered on an red zone td from the 3/4 yard line, can’t remember exactly, and the lineman got his hands on the ball Goff threw.

I watched some of the game.

He was WIDE open uncovered on an red zone td from the 3/4 yard line, can’t remember exactly, and the lineman got his hands on the ball Goff threw.
Yeah 5-6 TDs are coming and he could easily have 8-9 too.......if this continues there will be little debate on "if" Cooks is a top 10 FF WR dynasty. The debate will be more about how high in the top 10 he should be ranked. 

Yeah 5-6 TDs are coming and he could easily have 8-9 too.......if this continues there will be little debate on "if" Cooks is a top 10 FF WR dynasty. The debate will be more about how high in the top 10 he should be ranked. 
I don’t play dynasty and drafted him as my WR1 in a few leagues on a pretty big gamble, so I’m hoping that that top 10 comes true this year.

Very encouraging stuff across two weeks. Seems like he’s getting more targets than he’s ever had before extrapolated across two weeks. 

This is the perfect scenario for Cooks.....as long as he can deal with the physical DB's he will continue to get open and get opportunities.....I invested heavily in large bonus for long TD's.....I think we will see hopefully more than a couple of these this season.....Tyreek light

I really have never understood this.  I don’t see that at all.  Just look at yesterday’s game, he ran all kinds of routes and performed well.  Made multiple catches over the middle (1 he got creamed and popped right up) ran the 9 well and also runs the jet sweep.  Nothing about his game screams 1 trick wonder to me.  

Now does he struggle with tight man coverage?  Seems to sometimes....
He ran multiple routes. 

The only ones he got open on were over the middle. 

He ran streaks downfield & either under-ran/over-ran or Goff missed him short or long, but mostly he was used the same way he's been used. Posts/streaks, or crossing patterns. 

He doesn't run a diverse route tree - it's not a huge knock. The kid has good hands, and above average speed. He's just a bit limited in how teams seem to use him, whether he's capable of more or not he's had the same MO on 3 teams. 

Maybe he'll show us more this year. Maybe he won't. But I have yet to see a stop-and-go, a button-hook, a double-move or any other complex route from him. Slants & streaks. ("I like snakes & sparklers"?) is about how teams want to use him - maybe it's his limitation or maybe 3 different teams simply choose to use him that way. 

If he ran other routes, he wasn't targeted or didn't get open.   :shrug:

Like I said - it's not a knock on the player. Just an observation. He was actually utilized better by the Rams in 1 game than the Pats all last season so I saw it as an improvement...
I know we don’t really see eye to eye here on the 1 trick pony thing but man he’s looked good though 2 games.  Small sample size and all but I love his usage so far.  Coming in to the season I wasn’t really worried about his ability to get 1000/7 but now I feel great about it.  I’m actually pissed at myself for passing up on him in my main auction league.  He was a great value but I already rostered Gurley and Kupp, felt like it was to many shares of the same O. ??‍♂️

Manster said:
This is the perfect scenario for Cooks.....as long as he can deal with the physical DB's he will continue to get open and get opportunities.....I invested heavily in large bonus for long TD's.....I think we will see hopefully more than a couple of these this season.....Tyreek light
Don't insult Tyreek

dkp993 said:
I know we don’t really see eye to eye here on the 1 trick pony thing but man he’s looked good though 2 games.  Small sample size and all but I love his usage so far.  Coming in to the season I wasn’t really worried about his ability to get 1000/7 but now I feel great about it.  I’m actually pissed at myself for passing up on him in my main auction league.  He was a great value but I already rostered Gurley and Kupp, felt like it was to many shares of the same O. ??‍♂️
You should scroll down a few posts...I changed my position once I was shown the route trees he ran. 

I think Cooks is a pretty solid WR1, and IMO the TD’s should come. 

They might be the deep-ball variety, but he’s certainly been used in a more diverse manner than I thought. 

You should scoll down a few posts...I changed my position once I was shown the route trees he ran. 

I think Cooks is a pretty solid WR1, and IMO the TD’s should come. 

They might be the deep-ball variety, but he’s certainly been used in a more diverse manner than I thought. 
?. Awesome.  

My bad I didn’t read everything to get caught up. The political forum has built some bad habits in me I guess.  Lol.  You miss a few hours on one of those threads and 10 pages stack up!

Milkman said:
Cooks is 4th in receiving yards through 2 weeks. I'll take that all day. The long TDs will come but if he keeps gets these targets......he's on a 96-1968-0.

We know he's not hitting 1900 yards and probably less than 96 catches but he's likely getting 5+ TDs.....

85-1350-5 would be sweet. 
Yep, he's doing fine. 

Scores are a bonus with this yardage pace and I'm confident he'll nab at least a couple of bombs for scores.

--------------------------------------------

Rich Hribar‏Verified account @LordReebs FollowFollow @LordReebs

Rich Hribar Retweeted Evan Silva

Cooks' 246 receiving yards are the fourth-most by a Rams player through two weeks in franchise history and the most since Isaac Bruce (323) in 1998.

Rich Hribar added, Evan SilvaVerified account @evansilva

Were concerns in offseason #Rams WR Brandin Cooks would play Sammy Watkins "decoy" role. Thru 2 weeks, Cooks is averaging 9 targets & 111 Air Yards/game.…

4:02 PM - 17 Sep 2018

Don't insult Tyreek
I think it's a fair comparison.....he may not be quite as explosive, but hes not far off....someone above said Cooks has above average speed.......yea, I'd say a 4.33  40 is better than "above average".

I think it's a fair comparison.....he may not be quite as explosive, but hes not far off....someone above said Cooks has above average speed.......yea, I'd saY a 4.33  40 is better than "above average".
Not even in the top 10 in my PPR leagues. Hill is #1 in them. As of now

This guy is going to win me a championship. QB reminds of Drew Brees. Gurley guarantees he never sees a double team.

Was being severely underdrafted, too. Have him as my WR3 in one league.

Classic case of being overdrafted last year resulting in bargain prices this year.

Nobody really considered Goff was an upgrade to Brady but at this stage in their careers he is. Brady missed Cooks deep a ton last year. Cost hom lots of yards and TDs. 

Users who are viewing this thread