What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Brandin Cooks, DAL (1 Viewer)

I would not say $12 million is "much, much less" than the $18 million Hopkins was asking for.  That's barely half of DJ's salary for the year.

The reality is that if their goal was to win this year then I think paying Hopkins $18 million is a much better way to do it than paying any of those 3 guys anything near what any of them are getting.  And for Cooks IMO the most likely scenario is that he's never a relevant player again and fades away like every other player that's been through that bad of an issue with concussions has done before.
Davante Adams had a pretty similar stretch of concussions to Cooks' last 2 seasons in 2016-2017. Not saying Cooks will recover the same way, but we're not talking about Jordan Reed missing a whole year from a concussion here.

(Although really Reed would be like if you combined Fuller's ligament injury history with Cooks' head injury history)

I don't think the Cooks deal by itself is such a bad trade for Houston. Since the Rams ate all the dead money, Cooks is basically on a 1 year, $12m contract with a team option for the next 4 years.
It's actually a little better then that for Texans. Cooks will make $12M this year but the Rams already paid out $4M on his bonus. Texans "only" owe him $8M

But I still strongly feel even if you look at past the context of lumping it in with the Hopkins/DJ trade it's horrible because A)the very serious  head injuries combined  with B) such a deep WR draft and comping apples to apples sure you don't get a proven WR at pick 57, but you get a player who you'd control the rights for basically around a million a year for 4 years and while Cooks is essentially on a team option that team option costs you $12M+ a year starting in 2021 which does not seem like such a good option to me at at all.

So Cooks for $12M a year with a ton of head injuries or an unproven WR at pick 57 in a stocked draft at about $1M a year. I'm drafting.

And that's before even factoring in the redundancy of his skill set with Fuller, the fact you gave up Hopkins who never misses games, and acquired two players with big time injury issues to to pair with another WR who has big time injury issues. And oh, signed Randall Cobb who has massive injury history.

Perhaps Houston is figuring that they'll all miss time so throw your darts where you may and you won't have to alter the game plan much. That's all I can figure.

It's actually a little better then that for Texans. Cooks will make $12M this year but the Rams already paid out $4M on his bonus. Texans "only" owe him $8M

But I still strongly feel even if you look at past the context of lumping it in with the Hopkins/DJ trade it's horrible because A)the very serious  head injuries combined  with B) such a deep WR draft and comping apples to apples sure you don't get a proven WR at pick 57, but you get a player who you'd control the rights for basically around a million a year for 4 years and while Cooks is essentially on a team option that team option costs you $12M+ a year starting in 2021 which does not seem like such a good option to me at at all.

So Cooks for $12M a year with a ton of head injuries or an unproven WR at pick 57 in a stocked draft at about $1M a year. I'm drafting.

And that's before even factoring in the redundancy of his skill set with Fuller, the fact you gave up Hopkins who never misses games, and acquired two players with big time injury issues to to pair with another WR who has big time injury issues. And oh, signed Randall Cobb who has massive injury history.
I think you're overstating the head injuries, so maybe that's the base difference. If Cooks stays relatively healthy this season, Houston won't blink picking up that option for 21. He's missed 2 games in the past 5 seasons, so I don't think it's significantly more likely he gets hurt than your average sub-200 lb. WR. 

I also don't see anything problematic with him and Fuller having overlapping skillsets. Not as good as having Nuk, but having 2 of the fastest guys in the league on the outside is a good thing. 

Hearing this brought up and don't agree.

Cooks had his most yards and second most catches with Rams. Health was his issue with them this year and why they wanted to shed him, not sure how getting traded helps with that.

And I don't see what in his game is any better then Fuller's game to say he's the clear #1. Both are kind of similar to me, speed guys who got big time injury concerns.
Fuller just had his career best year...49 for 670 and 3 TD's.  Cooks had 4 straight 1,000 yard seasons and is only 6 months older than Fuller.  Nothing close to the same level of players.

Fuller just had his career best year...49 for 670 and 3 TD's.  Cooks had 4 straight 1,000 yard seasons and is only 6 months older than Fuller.  Nothing close to the same level of players.
A really good point that doesn't seem so, for some reason. But five concussions. I beg to differ with jtd13. He's a simple fall away from being in the protocol for five-six weeks. 

All season totals tells you is that Fuller has missed a lot more games than Cooks. Fuller is one of the most impactful WRs in football the last 2 seasons when on the field. It's a fair debate who is the 1 when both are healthy. I'd lean Fuller.

A really good point that doesn't seem so, for some reason. But five concussions. I beg to differ with jtd13. He's a simple fall away from being in the protocol for five-six weeks. 
Honest question, is that known? Is there something in the concussion protocol saying the time gets longer if you have a certain number?

I'm not saying the concussions are not a concern, I just disagree that he's at a much higher risk for concussion than a guy like Davante Adams, who had 3 in 14 months, the last of which was a Burfict-to-AB level knockout. Adams has since gone concussion-free for 2 seasons. Is it crazy to think it's more likely Cooks recovers the same way vs. thinking he'll be a vegetable the next time he has a hard sneeze?

Honest question, is that known? Is there something in the concussion protocol saying the time gets longer if you have a certain number?

I'm not saying the concussions are not a concern, I just disagree that he's at a much higher risk for concussion than a guy like Davante Adams, who had 3 in 14 months, the last of which was a Burfict-to-AB level knockout. Adams has since gone concussion-free for 2 seasons. Is it crazy to think it's more likely Cooks recovers the same way vs. thinking he'll be a vegetable the next time he has a hard sneeze?
You make a good point about two things. The first is that while I do think there is something to repeated concussions and the trauma needed to induce one getting less and less the more times it happens, I say that from folklore rather than a position of medical expertise. I'll have to check that out a bit before I keep harping on it. And Adams. I have never rostered him so I don't follow his ins and outs like I would players I have a distinct interest in. Reynolds sat on the WW in a few leagues I was in last year so I sort of got up to speed on the problems Cooks was having. But you're right to point out that Adams, if he has had three in fourteen months, should be mentioned in the conversation. I remember that hit on Adams. It was brutal and everyone was happy that he got up, never mind played the next week or week after, IIRC.

So yeah, I'll concede that Cooks could make it through two years head injury-free, but I wouldn't want to have to count on it given his history.

All season totals tells you is that Fuller has missed a lot more games than Cooks. Fuller is one of the most impactful WRs in football the last 2 seasons when on the field. It's a fair debate who is the 1 when both are healthy. I'd lean Fuller.
No.  He drops more passes than he catches.

I think if you're stretching a holistic approach to every move HOU makes this year, then yeah they are all bad because they won't dig out of the Hopkins/Cobb moves. Just doesn't seem to make any sense to me to judge every move going forward based on those past moves. Are we going to start adding points because they drafted Watson? Deducting them for signing Osweiler? Just seems like a thin argument to me.

BTW, did Cooks get all 5 of his concussions last season? Because it seems to me he's been productive every year until last year. That's why spending $20mil on Cooks for the next TWO seasons instead of giving Hopkins $20mil every one season doesn't seem like the trade-off some people are making it out to be. 

To be fair I still think IND wins this division in 2020 but I'm less confident about that then I was yesterday when Fuller/Cobb were the Texans 1-2 punch at WR. My guess is O'Brien is feeling the pressure to get deep into the playoffs because of it and isn't concerned with draft choices and developing unproven WR's that will likely be on the roster after he is gone whether they are relatively cheap or not. That's the only context the Hopkins/Cobb moves make any sense to me. He was worried Hopkins had him over a barrel because if he held out O'Brien would get fired either way. Not much of an O'Brien fan anyway and he'll get fired eventually anyway but there may be some logic why these moves are good for HIM if not the team and it's future.

I'm pretty sure Cooks is making $8mil this in 2020. The $12mil is for 2021, and if Hopkins wants a new contract right now I doubt if he's asking for $18mil now and $18mil in 2021. But let's say that's the case. Then you would be paying Cooks $20mil for the next two seasons and Hopkins $36mil. Seems like quite a bit less to me.
I suppose but what if you factor in the 18 mil over the next two years they’re paying Randall Cobb. At equal money would you rather have Hopkins or Cobb and Cooks? 

I suppose but what if you factor in the 18 mil over the next two years they’re paying Randall Cobb. At equal money would you rather have Hopkins or Cobb and Cooks? 
I don't know any other way to say this. If you factor in the Hopkins and Cobb moves as part of every move going forward.... they are all bad moves. The Hopkins and Cobb moves were very bad moves. I wouldn't want Cobb at his salary..... full stop.

In terms of "going for it" I'm criticizing the Rams because they are about a year away from playing in a superbowl and releasing Gurley was more important to them then trying to compete this year with much of that team still in tact. From the numbers I've seen it actually cost them more money to release him than they would have had if they had simply kept Gurley on the roster. Since they released Gurley and Clay Mathews now they are also dumping Cooks. By my math they now need an extra RB because neither Brown or Henderson looked like complete backs last season, they need a third WR now that Josh Reynolds will be bumped up as their #2 WR, AND they need to replace both their #2 and #3 most productive pass rushers from last season all because they wanted Gurley off the roster so bad. But hey, they got a 2nd rounder so maybe they'll be able to pull all that off with their 2nd round draft choice.
I'm gonna take a minority stance here, and say that while the cap has been handled terribly, I don't really see the Rams being a very different team than they were a year ago. Most of the guys they shed were dead weight, and/or not worth the terrible contracts they are being paid. Cory Littleton is the only guy they lost that I think they'll really miss. They still have a solid young QB, a bunch of good proven targets, the best defensive player in the NFL, a top flight CB, and potentially a good young secondary overall with better health.

I'm not saying they've been making good moves/decisions at all, but there is still enough talent on that team to be a playoff contender.

Side note, if I were some team who could use a slot WR, I'd offer up a 7th rounder for Keke Coutee and see what happens, as O'Brien clearly doesn't like him, and he's at best 5th on the depth chart. 

I think it's more than a bit disingenuous to say that the Cooks deal is bad because as a group the DJ/Cobb/Cooks deals are bad. Cooks has been a consistent producer in four of the past five seasons and he is scheduled to make much, much less than Hopkins was reported to be asking for. Hopkins is also older than Cooks. 
As a Texan fan I don't mind this move, 8M and a 2nd for a proven impact WR1 on what is now a team friendly deal going forward after the Rams ate his dead money. Hit rate on 2nd round WR's is very poor so I get the move since BOB created a huge hole after moving Hopkins. The injury risk is real, but they can cut him any year after this year.

Doesn't excuse in any way or make me forget all of BOB's other terrible moves like trading Clowney for a song, selling Hopkins for peanuts and taking on DJ's terrible contract, signing Cobb along with tons of other mistakes.

As a Watson dynasty owner, I feel a little bit better about him now for this year... if any of these WR's can stay healthy for a period of time that is.

No.  He drops more passes than he catches.
1. This isn't true.

2. Drops are not a worthwhile stat and aren't predictive, lots of research has been done on this.

3. I don't care for Fuller for other reasons, I just felt the need to respond because this post was so off (imo)

The primary reason that was Fullers best season is injuries which is now something I believe is a major issue for Cooks. Or we can just dismiss injuries and say you are what you are in which case Fuller was better then Cooks in every single category last year on one less target.

I think Fuller became a lot better player since his rookie year, but again the injuries. When you break down their numbers on a per target basis they are extremely similar. Calling them nothing close is nonsense. I actually think Fuller is better, but it's close.

Care to explain, just out of curiosity's sake?
Just the inconsistency he suffers due to injury so far in his career. Would love him and overdraft in best ball, but not interested in dynasty personally. I try to load the value on my roster into my starting lineup and then have some reliable or cheap backups. If Fuller gets cheap he becomes viable again to me. For now I'll own Desean Jackson for free and hope he makes it into the season healthy for similar bye week burst potential, just as an example.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just the inconsistency he suffers due to injury so far in his career. Would love him and overdraft in best ball, but not interested in dynasty personally. I try to load the value on my roster into my starting lineup and then have some reliable or cheap backups. If Fuller gets cheap he becomes viable again to me. For now I'll own Desean Jackson for free and hope he makes it into the season healthy for similar bye week burst potential, just as an example.
Word. Sounds like a solid strategy. If I'm reading you right, you do this because a guy like Jackson comes cheap and can drop twenty points on your opponent in two catches. Fuller is a boom/bust guy that, because of his cost, you're almost impelled or forced to start. But he's not good value because people overvalue him compared to his absolute output.

Word. Sounds like a solid strategy. If I'm reading you right, you do this because a guy like Jackson comes cheap and can drop twenty points on your opponent in two catches. Fuller is a boom/bust guy that, because of his cost, you're almost impelled or forced to start. But he's not good value because people overvalue him compared to his absolute output.
This is my opinion, yeah. Exactly. The value I'd have to invest into Fuller is value I'd rather have in a guy I feel good about when listing my starting lineup. Of course there comes a point where nearly any player can become a value, Fuller just isn't there for me right now. He'd make nice depth if he carried the cost of one of my depth players, but he doesn't for me because I'm addicted to consolidating. That's not gonna be the case for everyone and some owners would love him as the first guy off their bench or something. 

I can't even believe either these teams right now. The Rams franchise is literally broke and the Texans are self destructing. 
The Rams took a 21.8 million dollar cap hit this year to make this deal. Wow.
The hit is tough no doubt, and I’m a big fan of Cooks, but I gotta say I like this move.  WR is our deepest position and the drop off (if any) from Cooks to Reynolds is small.  The extra 2nd rd pick is massive for us with the holes on the OLine and LB’er we have.  Add in the extremely deep WR class this year and the move makes sense to me.  We were taking the 21 hit either way.  I’ll take no virtually no positional drop off and another hole plugged.  

The hit is tough no doubt, and I’m a big fan of Cooks, but I gotta say I like this move.  WR is our deepest position and the drop off (if any) from Cooks to Reynolds is small.  The extra 2nd rd pick is massive for us with the holes on the OLine and LB’er we have.  Add in the extremely deep WR class this year and the move makes sense to me.  We were taking the 21 hit either way.  I’ll take no virtually no positional drop off and another hole plugged.  
I said a few times in another thread that in one league I'm in Reynolds was an FA I was bidding on because I thought Cooks was going to get traded and Reynolds would slide right in and at least get volume, which I thought would lead to production, as I like Reynolds. We'll see for sure now. They also might run more 12 personnel with the two tight ends in Everett and Higbee, though a bunch of people think Everett is trade bait because he's a FA next year.

1. This isn't true.

2. Drops are not a worthwhile stat and aren't predictive, lots of research has been done on this.

3. I don't care for Fuller for other reasons, I just felt the need to respond because this post was so off (imo)
I was exaggerating.  I've owned him the past 3 years.  I've dealt with the ups and downs.  He has blow-up games, but I watched him drop 3 TDs in one game this past year.  He's far from a #1 is what I was implying in a strange way.

Fair enough. Reasonable people can disagree. I like Cooks as a player, but his concussions give me massive pause about his ability to stay on the field at all. 
That’s what scared me too without question.  The dude is tough despite being small so he goes over the middle a lot and gets laid out.  Every single game I was bracing for the coming concussion.  This last one I honestly felt awful for him.  

I said a few times in another thread that in one league I'm in Reynolds was an FA I was bidding on because I thought Cooks was going to get traded and Reynolds would slide right in and at least get volume, which I thought would lead to production, as I like Reynolds. We'll see for sure now. They also might run more 12 personnel with the two tight ends in Everett and Higbee, though a bunch of people think Everett is trade bait because he's a FA next year.
The 12 is certainly a possibility, with DH in the backfield that’s a pretty tough to cover group (barring the line can hold up to give Goff time). 

I don’t know what to make of Everett honestly. The guys had some big games, like the KC game, and prior to the end of last season he was a guy I was for sure was going to break out.  But Hig came on like a freight train so who knows now.  

I was exaggerating.  I've owned him the past 3 years.  I've dealt with the ups and downs.  He has blow-up games, but I watched him drop 3 TDs in one game this past year.  He's far from a #1 is what I was implying in a strange way.
KC right? And then the next game he got hurt. That was frustrating. 

The 12 is certainly a possibility, with DH in the backfield that’s a pretty tough to cover group (barring the line can hold up to give Goff time). 

I don’t know what to make of Everett honestly. The guys had some big games, like the KC game, and prior to the end of last season he was a guy I was for sure was going to break out.  But Hig came on like a freight train so who knows now.  
Because it's all about me, I inherited Everett in dynasty and really liked him last year when I had him in redraft. Change of scenery might be good, but I think the Rams can support two tight ends like New England used to. It's a stretch, but it's possible. I'd rather he was solamente king #### of #### mountain at the TE position, but Higbee also looked massively legit when called upon last year.

Because it's all about me, I inherited Everett in dynasty and really liked him last year when I had him in redraft. Change of scenery might be good, but I think the Rams can support two tight ends like New England used to. It's a stretch, but it's possible. I'd rather he was solamente king #### of #### mountain at the TE position, but Higbee also looked massively legit when called upon last year.
Nice, it could pay off for ya.  Would love to see a rehash of Gronk/Hernandez in LA (minus the murdering of course). 

Hig was tabbed as baby Gronk (Seems to be the new baby Jordan claim) when we drafted him and the hype during his first camp was strong.  It just took a while to translate, which is not uncommon for TEs.  

I’m my main league (20 years running this year) it’s an auction keeper/Dynasty-ish league and I have Hig as my #2 on the cheap.  Problem is I have Kelce, no chance I’m keeping 2 TE’s.  So back Hig goes....

Nice, it could pay off for ya.  Would love to see a rehash of Gronk/Hernandez in LA (minus the murdering of course). 

Hig was tabbed as baby Gronk (Seems to be the new baby Jordan claim) when we drafted him and the hype during his first camp was strong.  It just took a while to translate, which is not uncommon for TEs.  

I’m my main league (20 years running this year) it’s an auction keeper/Dynasty-ish league and I have Hig as my #2 on the cheap.  Problem is I have Kelce, no chance I’m keeping 2 TE’s.  So back Hig goes....
...to wait for a person of less discriminatin' tastes

Just because I saw no roto link and I need more people bashing BOB:

Texans acquired WR Brandin Cooks and a 2022 fourth-round pick from the Rams in exchange for the No. 57 overall pick of the 2020 draft. 

It's the Texans' pick, though they still have the No. 40 overall selection they received in the DeAndre Hopkins trade. Cooks, of course, will immediately slide in as Hopkins' replacement. Cooks is a downgrade from a talent, versatility and contract aspect, but he will be a solid No. 2 wideout. Cooks, who has suffered some concerning (head) injuries in recent years but not missed much time, is coming off by far the worst campaign of his career. Somehow, this is the third time he's been traded in three years. He has a bad contract and has suffered at least five concussions as a pro. Amazingly, Cooks is still only 27 (in September). The difference between Cooks and Kenny Stills probably isn't as great as many might assume, but Will Fuller's injury history made it prudent for the Texans to fortify their receiver corps. Nevertheless, the Texans essentially flipped Hopkins for Cooks and David Johnson, a trade that would not go through on Madden. Bill O'Brien has never met a double down he couldn't pass up.
Madness

Sheer madness

Just because I saw no roto link and I need more people bashing BOB:

Madness

Sheer madness
Lol I saw the cooks thread bumped and read through this page, first I have seen of the terms of the deal and nearly spit out my coffee- you trade nuk for a 2nd and Dj, then trade a 2nd for cooks. Makes no sense. I thought it would be like a 4th or so...does cooks have a nickname? Can we start calling him “doobie cooks” because he just gets passed around the league? Maybe fitzmagic or Hyde already have that one....

Seems to me that BOB is taking on salary while Watson is still cheap, but it also looks like he is disregarding injury history.  I gotta assume he has better info than us, but I for one would be scared off.  Maybe he thinks he's playing NBA-like salary games and swooping in to acquire talent because other teams have cap/contract problems -- which would make sense if he were getting baggage-free superstars.

Seems to me that BOB is taking on salary while Watson is still cheap, but it also looks like he is disregarding injury history.  I gotta assume he has better info than us, but I for one would be scared off.  Maybe he thinks he's playing NBA-like salary games and swooping in to acquire talent because other teams have cap/contract problems -- which would make sense if he were getting baggage-free superstars.
Wouldn’t he have been better off taking on the salary of Hopkins who is really good as opposed to Cooks and DJ who are coming off seasons where they look like they have one foot in retirement?

The Rams look absolutely cooked financially. It’s likely to be a rough stretch for them. 

The Rams $21 million cap hit for Cooks is the highway cap hit any team is taking for a WR. Julio is $20, Evans is $18.

Someone pointed out to me earlier in this thread (or maybe it was the Gurley thread), the Rams seem to be trying to clear space for next year right now. Likely because they want to get Ramsey and Kupp extensions done.

The Rams look absolutely cooked financially. It’s likely to be a rough stretch for them. 
It’s gonna be a rocky ride for sure.  But we’ve got some elite level talent (AD, Ramsey) and a solid base of good players (Kupp , Woods, Johnson, Goff when given time, etc) so if some young players step up we’re still a legit playoff team while we dig out of the financial hole.  

Winners:

Cooks get an upgrade in QB and probably usage

Deshaun Watson: Cooks is no replacement for DeAndre Hopkins, but he does bolster what looked like a pretty average unit

Tyler Higbee: Higbee broke out last season and demanded more targets; this should free up more looks for Higbee and Everett and possibly 2TE sets or 2WR with the TE split out.

dkp993 said:
It’s gonna be a rocky ride for sure.  But we’ve got some elite level talent (AD, Ramsey) and a solid base of good players (Kupp , Woods, Johnson, Goff when given time, etc) so if some young players step up we’re still a legit playoff team while we dig out of the financial hole.  
Agreed. They do have to resign Ramsey soon.

I doubt this Cooks trade is the last by them. JMO They could wind up dealing Everett too in his last year of rookie deal (In a really weak TE draft, they could something better than the comp pick they'll receive next). I don't think they'll match what he'll get offered as UFA and will get a comp pick anyway

It's hard to defend the moves O'Brien makes, but I will say that he's pushing all his chips in and trying to win right now imo. I've never like his personality(from what I've seen) but it's easier to root for that than what the Rams are doing. They are just making one salary dump after another and not only did they get passed by SF/SEA but now they might be a rung or more behind ARZ if the Cardinals get some OL help. It just looks like the Rams are punting 2020 to me. 
This is an ironic post, because the Rams did exactly what you are praising BOB for here - they went all in to push hard for a Super Bowl, and it almost worked. Now they are paying the price for that. They went for it with the intent of paying for it later, and later has come for them. They had no choice but to reset their roster and lose at least one season of competitiveness as a result... though they do still have some compelling talent on both offense and defense.

This is an ironic post, because the Rams did exactly what you are praising BOB for here - they went all in to push hard for a Super Bowl, and it almost worked. Now they are paying the price for that. They went for it with the intent of paying for it later, and later has come for them. They had no choice but to reset their roster and lose at least one season of competitiveness as a result... though they do still have some compelling talent on both offense and defense.
i realize this was mentioned earlier in the thread by others, but good post nevertheless. and the larger problem for the Rams is they are moving into the new stadium this year so without a playoff berth they'll lose the fan base before they even settle into their mansion. as fickle as LA fans are, Rams will be hard pressed to fill the seats unless this young group can put it together. There is definitely enough talent to do so imo, only piece I don't trust is the one piece they need most in Goff.

For sure it’s a risky approach, but as a fan I prefer it.  As as you point out had they not run into the best coach of all time (probably) it would have.  (Still if you tell me we’d hold the Pats to 13 points I’d feel really good about our chances). And the “lost season” is still likely better then 50% of the league.....

Users who are viewing this thread