What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Brandin Cooks, DAL (2 Viewers)

Love his game and he couldn't have landed in a better spot. I'd grab him #1 if I couldn't trade down. I'd let someone else deal with the EJ Manuel experiment and the run first offense with Watkins.

He's gonna be dynamite out of the gate. Consistency might not come year 1, but I don't think we're waiting til Year 3 for the breakout.

Elite QB. Not facing #1 (or probably #2) corners. Elite separation skills that'll get to man the slot with single coverage. 60 catches IMO is his Year 1 floor. Gonna be fun watching as teams can't key on him with Colston/Graham/Stills.

Drew Brees pointed to first-round pick Brandin Cooks as the primary replacement for Darren Sproles.
Brees described Cooks as an "explosive player, great speed, great talent, tremendous young man, loves to learn, loves the game of football." Sproles and Lance Moore are both gone, leaving a 90-reception void in Sean Payton's offense. "I think he can do a lot of things," Brees added of Cooks. "I think he can play outside receiver. I think I he can play inside in the slot. You can hand him reverses. You can throw him screens. He can return punts."
Source: USA Today

:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems Cooks could be what many thought Austin would be last year.
Interesting comparison, for better or worse. Do these non-traditional guys bring enough of a speed mismatch to overcome what they give up in size?
Some do (Desean) and some don't (Tavon last year). I think having Colston and Graham on the field is going to be a real boon to cooks. I think he's got Randall Cobb like upside.

Interesting comparison, for better or worse. Do these non-traditional guys bring enough of a speed mismatch to overcome what they give up in size?
Some do (Desean) and some don't (Tavon last year). I think having Colston and Graham on the field is going to be a real boon to cooks. I think he's got Randall Cobb like upside.
T. Austin did have 6 total TDs *with limited touches last year FWIW. He'd probably be a pro-bowler on a offense like NO. Then you figure Cooks is a Saint and is bigger and better than Austin is. He'll probably be valuable from day one for FF. As you mentioned, there is no double teaming him with Graham and Colston on the same field. I'm not even sure that would matter when you have an elite QB throwing you the ball. He should run wild.

T. Austin did have 6 total TDs *with limited touches last year FWIW. He'd probably be a pro-bowler on a offense like NO. Then you figure Cooks is a Saint and is bigger and better than Austin is. He'll probably be valuable from day one for FF. As you mentioned, there is no double teaming him with Graham and Colston on the same field. I'm not even sure that would matter when you have an elite QB throwing you the ball. He should run wild.
The biggest difference in skill set is making contested catches, Cooks can do this well...Austin struggles. It's the difference between Steve Smith(Carolina, now Baltimore) vs other 5'9 WRs.

At times Cooks struggles making contested catches. It's my biggest concern with him. It seems he can be pushed around at times. If i thought he was good at that he would be a "can't miss" prospect imo.

At times Cooks struggles making contested catches. It's my biggest concern with him. It seems he can be pushed around at times. If i thought he was good at that he would be a "can't miss" prospect imo.
Cooks isn't perfect and this is probably his biggest concern, however he's much better at this than Austin. Cooks has a my ball mentality...it isn't on Austin's radar.

I heard about this:

According to Dabe, Lewis was struck by Lightning Cooks during Thursday's practice. The 5-foot-10 pass-catcher with 4.33-second 40-speed took a reverse handoff and raced down the sideline. Cooks appeared to pull up to play with defenders, like Lewis, tracking him. Then the rookie shifted back into high gear, sprinting away.

I got the opposite impression from Cooks. When given the opportunity, he came down with some balls with defenders in his vicinity - reminiscent of Smiff. The Beavers rarely put him in this situation, though, choosing not to throw it up to their 5-10 receiver. Can't blame them. I highly doubt the Saints will use him in that way either. Payton will probably get him the ball in space, wide open.

I'm personally more worried about his lack of flexibility. Not sure whether it will matter, but Cooks lacks that ability to throttle down on his dig/out routes. He doesn't have very good straight line moves, either, relying more on jitter bug type stuff. With such acceleration, he may not need to maintain his kinetic energy - or his elite speed/acceleration/agility will make up for it. I don't know, but still have some reservations.

Rotoworld:

Saints first-round WR Brandin Cooks will spend two weeks working out with Drew Brees in San Diego prior to training camp.

Cooks missed much of the offseason program due to Oregon State's late graduation date. He didn't return to the Saints until partway through minicamp. Cooks and Brees will use the two weeks to make up for lost time before the pads come on in late July. Replacing Lance Moore and Darren Sproles, Cooks is a do-it-all offensive gadget piece and Offensive Rookie of the Year candidate.

Source: Gil Brandt on Twitter

Jun 24 - 12:56 PM

Brandin Cooks - WR - Saints
Numerous teammates noted first-round pick Brandin Cooks playing at a "different speed" than the rest of the Saints' offense during spring workouts.
Saints CB Keenan Lewis nicknamed Cooks "lightning." Added TE Ben Watson, "everybody looked at each other like, 'Wow, this kid is definitely at a different speed.'" "I haven't seen that kind of speed in a while," chimed in OLB Junior Galette. "He can get into that last gear quick. His speed is obviously top tier in the league." Reporter Mike Triplett considers Cooks a prime OROY candidate, floating 70 receptions for 800 yards as a realistic expectation.

Source: ESPN.com
Jul 18 - 4:18 PM

Rotoworld:

Drew Brees called first-round pick Brandin Cooks' work ethic and ability to retain information "pretty rare for a young guy."

"Here's a guy who's obviously extremely talented," Brees said. "But more so than that, very intelligent. You get this feeling that he wants to be great, he loves football, he wants to learn. Every time he comes up to me, it's eyes wide. Feed me, feed me information. He absorbs it very quickly and goes out and applies it." Brees has loved Cooks since the Saints drafted him. Cooks is a sleeper for 70 receptions and 15-25 rushing attempts as a rookie.

Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune

Jul 26 - 4:55 PM

Saints Camp Report: Day 1

http://espn.go.com/b...mp-report-day-1

Excerpt:

Cooks delivers: The guy I was most excited to watch Friday didn't disappoint. Rookie receiver Brandin Cooks made the play of the day, leaping up to reel in a deep pass from Drew Brees in front of safety Ty Zimmerman. Teammates were impressed, including Jimmy Graham, who was practicing with Cooks for the first time. Graham said he asked, "Who was that?" before chasing down Cooks to celebrate. Veteran cornerback Champ Bailey said he doesn't want to get ahead of himself but thinks Cooks could be something special. Cooks' best assets are his speed and quickness, but he showed physicality and ball skills as well on the play. However, Cooks gave Brees the credit: "All I had to do was go up and get it," Cooks said.

Rotoworld:

Drew Brees called first-round pick Brandin Cooks' work ethic and ability to retain information "pretty rare for a young guy."

"Here's a guy who's obviously extremely talented," Brees said. "But more so than that, very intelligent. You get this feeling that he wants to be great, he loves football, he wants to learn. Every time he comes up to me, it's eyes wide. Feed me, feed me information. He absorbs it very quickly and goes out and applies it." Brees has loved Cooks since the Saints drafted him. Cooks is a sleeper for 70 receptions and 15-25 rushing attempts as a rookie.

Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune

Jul 26 - 4:55 PM
Happy to read this since I reached for him at 4.01 in my startup draft.

Last year the Rams traded-up for a small/quick/explosive WR in Tavon Austin but Tavon had difficulty grasping his system and was only given easy underneath routes early-on last year.

Seems like Brandon Cooks is a fast learner. He came in behind due to the NFL rule about rookies not being able to practice till their school learning year is done so he fell behind but is quickly catching-up.

This article also points out two three intriuging tibits about Cook's game already as a rookie who hasn't played an NFL down.

1. He's making site adjustments on the ball while its in the air.

2. Displaying 'my-ball' mentality going back to make catches.

3. He's beating the jam at the LOS.

Those three things are on-top of the things we knew when he was drafted, super quick and explosive and that is also on-top of the buzz he's creating by he ability to quickly grasp the NFL game and Payton's talk about using him in a role that Sproles had last year.

The 'possible' downside mentioned is if they use him on special teams as a returner which could tax him and open him up to increased injury risk but the bottom line is how quickly he's coming up to speed and that Sean Payton is looking at more ways to get him the rock to utilize his versatilty.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2014/07/brandin_cooks_quickly_getting.html

Brandin Cooks quickly getting up to speed in 1st New Orleans Saints training camp

By Evan Woodbery, NOLA.com | The Times-PicayuneThe Times-Picayune
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on July 27, 2014 at 3:40 PM, updated July 27, 2014 at 7:11 PM

White Sulphur Springs, W. Va. -- The New Orleans Saints already knew that first-round draft pick Brandin Cooks was fast.

Now coaches are finding out that the rookie receiver is a fast learner, too.

Cooks set single-season conference records during his final year at Oregon State, catching 128 passes for 1,730 yards. Those numbers -- and his blazing speed during workouts -- impressed the Saints, who traded up to make him the 20th overall pick.

Although Cooks signed a lucrative contract and was ready to embark on his new career, he was trapped in Corvallis, Ore., by an NFL rule requiring draftees to complete their academic semester.

The well-intentioned guideline was meant to prevent picks from bailing on their last semester of studies. But as Oregon State's quarter system pushed classes deep into the summer, the rule kept Cooks from valuable learning time in New Orleans.

"He's picking things up," said Saints coach Sean Payton. "With the time he spent (at Oregon State) in the offseason, he was kind of behind a little bit. But catching up (this week) has helped."

When Cooks met with the media for the first time on Sunday at the Saints' training camp at the Greenbrier resort, most of his teammates had fled for shelter from the pounding rain that arrived just as practice was wrapping up. But he soldiered on, getting drenched at the podium as thunder crackled behind him. Despite Oregon's reputation for rain, the experience was a new one, he said.

The NFL experience has also been new, but Cooks said much of the transition has been mental.

"I'm learning that everyone's smarter on the field," Cooks said. "The pace is not that much faster than college, but those vets out there do this for a living and have been playing for plenty of years."

How can Cooks keep up? "I have to gain more knowledge and watch more film."

Cooks said he spent more than a week training with quarterback Drew Brees in San Diego this summer, which helped him "catch up" after missing the summer organized team activities due to class requirements.

Brees has been impressed with Cooks' hunger for knowledge.

"He absorbs it very quickly and goes out and applies it," Brees said.

Cooks' physical gifts are unquestioned, despite his small size. (Cooks is listed at 5-foot-10 and 189 pounds).

On Friday, the first day of camp, Cooks got behind the Saints' secondary, waited for a slightly underthrown Brees pass and leaped over rookie safety Ty Zimmerman for the catch.

On Sunday, Cooks showed that he doesn't back down from contact. When cornerback Patrick Robinson tried to jam him at the line of scrimmage, Cooks cut his downfield and caught a deep pass from Brees.

Cooks said he takes pride in his success despite being a smaller receiver.

"Obviously you like your big guys, but some special things come with us smaller guys that the bigger guys can't do," he said.

Payton said the early reviews of Cooks have been encouraging, and coaches will find a way to make sure he's involved in the offense.

"He's explosive. He's made some plays," Payton said. "There will be a handful of things we have to do to get him touches whether it is through the passing game, whether it is through handoffs or bubble screens. He has some versatility."

What about special teams? Cooks seems like an obvious choice to assume the punt returning job, at the very least, and he's been among a handful of players fielding punts in early practices. Despite his speed, Cooks only returned punts in his final year at Oregon State, averaging six yards over 12 returns.

Kickoff returns aren't as pressing a concern because of the frequency of touchbacks in the NFL (especially in the warm and domed NFC South), but Cooks has experience doing that, too.

"I feel like I will be asked to do both," Cooks said. " I've been repping kick and punt returns, so it is just a matter of where they want to put me and where they feel more comfortable putting me at."

Saints Camp Report: Day 5

http://espn.go.com/b...mp-report-day-5

Excerpt:

Another day, another "wow" moment for rookie Saints receiver Brandin Cooks. At some point, I'm going to have to borrow a Sean Payton term and start "de-recruiting" Cooks instead of continuing to pump him up. But that's hard to do when he keeps making eye-popping plays. This time Cooks took a screen pass from Drew Brees and shot past a couple hapless defenders for a touchdown. Cooks also showed off some receiving skills on a nifty back-shoulder catch from Brees, among other highlights. "That was awesome. ... I think that just gives you a taste of what we have in him," Brees said of the screen play. "(Some people) are straight-line fast but not real quick or they have long strides or short-area quickness but not long speed. This guy has it all. He's got short-area quickness, great transition ability and phenomenal straight-line speed."

Allowing that differences in talent/specific skills between Cooks and Austin clearly matter (as does the chasm between Brees and Bradford), to me a huge difference between the two is that Cooks landed with a team and offensive staff that has a proven track record of maximizing the production of players who don't slot into traditional/rigid roles by way of body type or skill-set, like Graham and Sproles. Austin landed with Brian Shottenheimer, who has a record of being rigid and lacking creativity with personnel.

Allowing that differences in talent/specific skills between Cooks and Austin clearly matter (as does the chasm between Brees and Bradford), to me a huge difference between the two is that Cooks landed with a team and offensive staff that has a proven track record of maximizing the production of players who don't slot into traditional/rigid roles by way of body type or skill-set, like Graham and Sproles. Austin landed with Brian Shottenheimer, who has a record of being rigid and lacking creativity with personnel.
I will never understand why this is so hard for people to see.

Cooks ~ Austin; but

Brees >>>>>>>>>>> Bradford; and

Payton >>>>>>>>>>> Schottenheimer.

Anyone saying Cooks is destined to disappoint as rookie by using Austin as a comp is really missing the big picture.

LawFitz said:
DAG said:

Cooks ~ Austin; but

Anyone saying Cooks is destined to disappoint as rookie by using Austin as a comp is really missing the big picture.
Cooks is everything Austin is but a little bigger. Cooks>Austin imo

LawFitz said:
DAG said:

Cooks ~ Austin; but

I agree with most of this. I think Austin was one of the more overrated rookies in fantasy circles in recent years. That stung a lot of people. While he and Cooks have some physical similarities, the environment is about as different as it gets. Still, I think the expectations for Cooks, this year, have been out of hand since he was taken by NO. I think he fails to live up to lofty expectations because 1) he's a rookie and they typically struggle and 2) NO/Bree's has a penchant for spreading the wealth outside of Graham.

LawFitz said:
DAG said:

Cooks ~ Austin; but

I agree with most of this. I think Austin was one of the more overrated rookies in fantasy circles in recent years. That stung a lot of people. While he and Cooks have some physical similarities, the environment is about as different as it gets.Still, I think the expectations for Cooks, this year, have been out of hand since he was taken by NO. I think he fails to live up to lofty expectations because 1) he's a rookie and they typically struggle and 2) NO/Bree's has a penchant for spreading the wealth outside of Graham.
I agree the expectations are high but NO lost some players so there is a chance Cooks sees more targets then your normal rookie. Plus Drew Brees is special and makes players around him better. 60-70 catches is not out of the question for Cooks. I personally like my WR bigger but if I was to build a small WR he would look and play like Cooks. Don't expect much more than 6 TD's though.

WR Brandin Cooks continues to shine at camp

First-round WR Brandin Cooks has been the "star" of the "entire" Saints training camp so far.

Beat writers, coaches and teammates have been raving about Cooks on an almost daily basis since camp opened. It continues on Saturday as the reigning Biletnikoff Award winner lit up the Saints defense in an intrasquad scrimmage for an unofficial six catches with one touchdown. Per beat man Mike Triplett, "it really has been remarkable how consistent and versatile Cooks has been." He's going to play inside the numbers as a versatile chess piece for Sean Payton and Drew Brees, giving Cooks immediate upside at his late eighth-round ADP.

Source: ESPN.com Aug 3 - 8:37 AM

• He’s zero to sixty. Real fast. ... When he gets the ball in his hands, he’s dangerous. ... A bunch of people were saying, 'I hope I don’t have to cover the guy.' The people who were covering him were saying, 'Bring me a little help.' He’s a great young player, he will do well.” -- linebacker David Hawthorne.
    :cool:

Didn't we hear the same stuff with Tavon Austin last pre-season. I understand the difference between the two offenses , but don't want to get burned again

Users who are viewing this thread