What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., BAL (2 Viewers)

Likely because he DID show up for off season workouts. I know many CLEV fans said OBJ skipping workouts was no big deal even though he was going to be playing with a new QB. I think the season clearly displayed the fallacy in that thinking.
Boy, I couldn't agree more.  Of all the things Kitchens was taken to task for (most of them speculative) this one stood out to me.  They spent a lot of the off-season, training camp, and pre-season dicking around.  Last time I saw something similar was under Pettine -- also a first-timer.

Are you guys reading the stories coming out of CLE  about how in over his head Kitchens was, and how it effected the offensive gameplanning and playcalling? Baker and OBJ are primed for a massive bounceback with the right hire. 
Kitchens allowed a fourth-and-seven draw to be called from around the forty or so.

I can see that.

OBJ, though? That's a show I don't want in a diva I don't want.
Same with Mayfield. He's talking to empty stalls now and it seems just irritating rather than a "go get paid" sentiment on most people's part. 

talent wise OBJ is one of the top 2-3 in the league but I don't know that he'll get back to where he was years ago...seems distracted with too many other issues....

Hayden Winks‏ @HaydenWinks

Lowest % of air yards that turned into receiving yards:

Curtis Samuel 40% (627 rec yards/1568 air yards)

----------

• Robby Anderson 56%
  • Odell Beckham 59%
  • James Washington 60%
  • Brandin Cooks 60%
  • Alshon Jeffery 61%
  • Mike Williams 62%
(minimum 70 targets)

11:46 AM - 31 Dec 2019

-------------------------------------

Replying to @HaydenWinks @FF_RyanB - So buy low or do these guys #suck?

-----   Hayden Winks‏ @HaydenWinks 31 Dec 2019

maybe buy low:

• Curtis Samuel
  • Odell Beckham
everyone else.... mehhhh

Likely because he DID show up for off season workouts. I know many CLEV fans said OBJ skipping workouts was no big deal even though he was going to be playing with a new QB. I think the season clearly displayed the fallacy in that thinking.
Nah, if this were a real problem then team's wouldn't trade for WR's during the season. This could explain a slow start, but anything beyond that is bigger than it. We know his injury was a problem and that coaching/management effected the whole offense. There are other unknowns that give him more inherent risk than others valued similarly, but I think those two items are knowns.

One criticism I will say about his offseason regimen, he may thinks he knows best when it comes to his body but I'm skeptical that he really does. There's no way to say with any conviction that his August injury was a product of whatever he did between January and July, but there's also no way to dismiss the possibility.

Nah, if this were a real problem then team's wouldn't trade for WR's during the season. This could explain a slow start, but anything beyond that is bigger than it. We know his injury was a problem and that coaching/management effected the whole offense. There are other unknowns that give him more inherent risk than others valued similarly, but I think those two items are knowns.

One criticism I will say about his offseason regimen, he may thinks he knows best when it comes to his body but I'm skeptical that he really does. There's no way to say with any conviction that his August injury was a product of whatever he did between January and July, but there's also no way to dismiss the possibility.
The Jerry Rice work ethic he definitely does not possess...although few do. This is however a problem. IF the WRs and the QB are not getting together on their own in the off season, like Russell Wilson and DK Metcalf (as a rookie), then they are already behind. Some guys are just in the NFL for the $ and they are not who you want on your team. You usually see it on contract years when they play their ### off....Devonta Freeman... so they can score big and then suck.

Last off-season, a considerable debate raged between those thinking that OBJ should be at the voluntary workouts, getting acclimated to the new team, setting an example, etc. and those thinking that minimizing your exposure to injury by skipping voluntary was smart.  Cleveland is a complex situation and I'm not going to try to justify my opinion based on the results but it is food for thought.

I need to decide between him, Juju and Julio as a keeper.  Usually, age is a big factor for me but the veteran of this group may prove to be the most productive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t think that’s true at all. You think he did this for attention and wanted to get “caught”?  I think OBJ is totally misunderstood. 
OBJ publicly says he hates the media attention, but exploits it to build his brand. Ie: he wears the illegal watch and gets a watch deal out of it. Smart. He wears the illegal shoes, etc. In this case OBJ is building his brand by associating himself with winners (LSU) and to be associated with money (cool guys have money). He’s winning off the field, but not on it

OBJ publicly says he hates the media attention, but exploits it to build his brand. Ie: he wears the illegal watch and gets a watch deal out of it. Smart. He wears the illegal shoes, etc. In this case OBJ is building his brand by associating himself with winners (LSU) and to be associated with money (cool guys have money). He’s winning off the field, but not on it
OBJ is an LSU alum. 

The league needs more Jordy Nelsons and Larry Fitzgeralds and less OBJ's and AB's.  Divas diva when they are awarded for the behavior.  If they were excoriated for it they would stop.  Unfortunately they never will be because the 24 hour media needs stories.  Me, if I were a coach or GM, I would have nothing to do with a diva and any signs of it developing in a player would be quashed through immediate trade.

The league needs more Jordy Nelsons and Larry Fitzgeralds and less OBJ's and AB's.  Divas diva when they are awarded for the behavior.  If they were excoriated for it they would stop.  Unfortunately they never will be because the 24 hour media needs stories.  Me, if I were a coach or GM, I would have nothing to do with a diva and any signs of it developing in a player would be quashed through immediate trade.
Agree with your take. Add to that, how many WR divas have won Super Bowls in the last 20 years? Moss? TO? Dez? AB? Odell?

Big goose egg.

An arrest warrant has been issued for OBJ after hitting a police officer on the butt after the LSU win in the locker room

Link
Yeah OBJ is a diva and a bit of a hot head but come on with this nonsense.  I'm as pro police as just about anyone but this is ridiculous.  This and wanting to arrest players for firing up stogies? 

Rotoworld:

New Orleans police obtained an arrest warrant accusing Odell Beckham of simple battery in relation to a locker room interaction he had with a police officer Monday night.

The Browns' statement: "We are aware of the incident and have been in touch with Odell and his representatives on the matter. They are cooperating with the proper authorities to appropriately address the situation." Beckham was caught on camera slapping a police officer on the back side during the midst of LSU's national championship celebration. OBJ is also under fire at the moment for appearing to hand out wads of cash to players following the game. Nobody was harmed in either instance, but dealing with the police and NCAA is never a great combination.

SOURCE: SaintsNOW on Twitte

Jan 16, 2020, 12:06 PM ET

I would never dream of putting my hands on an officer, am I soft?
The guy is a security guard. Let’s get that out of the way. He isn’t a cop. 
anyways, why is there an armed guard in the locker room after a team just won the National Title. Not to mention one that looks to be about 70 years old and around five feet tall. 

anyways, why is there an armed guard in the locker room after a team just won the National Title. Not to mention one that looks to be about 70 years old and around five feet tall. 
Thanks for the clarification, didn't know it was a security guard.  

Is it ok to play grab ### with someone who isn't expecting it?  Is that a Penn State thing?

Who cares if it's a security guard or a cop?  It's a person whose job it was to enforce rules, and those rules were being broken.  The chances of someone dropping the cigar into a trash can and lighting the stadium on fire were slim to zero, but it was still his responsibility to tell them they can't smoke. 

For OBJ to slap him in the butt, is basically OBJ saying, "who are you to tell me what to do?"  I don't know OBJ personally, but I can imagine him having a sense of entitlement and a lack of respect for people.  You have to press charges just to knock his ego down.  It's the principle of it.  Not about being soft.  

Thanks for the clarification, didn't know it was a security guard.  

Is it ok to play grab ### with someone who isn't expecting it?  Is that a Penn State thing?
ouch

and i agree why the #### were they in the lockerroom....checking to see if the kids were drinking? talk about a weird move 

odells a ####### but this is a nothing burger 

This whole comment is off base.  It doesn't matter if he is a police officer.  OBJ slapped him on the butt (I am not for filing assault charges for the record, that is way extreme).  

There can be speculation as to why he was in the locker room, but my guess would be that he came in to stop the players from smoking since that is not allowed.  

As to the bolded why does that have anything to do with this.  Can 70 year old 5 foot people not be security guards or police officers? Are 70 year old and 5 foot people asking to be slapped on the butt?  What are you getting at with the last part?

This whole comment is off base.  It doesn't matter if he is a police officer.  OBJ slapped him on the butt (I am not for filing assault charges for the record, that is way extreme).  

There can be speculation as to why he was in the locker room, but my guess would be that he came in to stop the players from smoking since that is not allowed.  

As to the bolded why does that have anything to do with this.  Can 70 year old 5 foot people not be security guards or police officers? Are 70 year old and 5 foot people asking to be slapped on the butt?  What are you getting at with the last part?
Why the #### is an armed security guard in the locker room after a team just won a national championship?? The coaches can’t control the players??

I guess I'm surprised alumni were allowed in the locker room anyway. I guess I also underestimate boosterism.

If I'm the coach, I go Norman Dale on all that and tell guys that aren't part of the team to GTFO.

I guess I'm surprised alumni were allowed in the locker room anyway.
I was surprised at this as well.  It reminds me of the King of Queens episode where Doug starts hanging out at his old high school again with the football team.  OBJ is 27.  It's not like he just graduated last year.  Let the kids have their moment without you trying to steal the spotlight.  

A cop's job is far more complex than simply enforcing rules.  Common sense should be part of the equation.
I agree.  And I'm sure most younger cops/guards would have just let them have their fun as long as it didn't get out of hand.  But you still treat the guy with respect, even if you don't agree with his request.  Common sense should also be used by the 27 year old hanging out with 21 year olds.  You can laugh about it, call him old school, even ignore him.  Just don't make a mockery of the guy.  

Exactly..pretty lame of Beckham to try and take the spotlight. Let the guys who have actually won something in their careers enjoy it without you making it about you.

Users who are viewing this thread