What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., BAL (4 Viewers)

OBJ looks more fluid/quick/explosive than both Watkins and Cooks, imo and I have Cooks ranked #2 at the moment.
Definitely agree with that. He's also a lot slower than Cooks and a lot smaller than Sammy.

There's almost always a trade-off.

Nice video on Beckham here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tTGN8OoXKc
Cooks definitely has better long speed but I re-watched some of Cooks' games and I now find myself reconsidering where I should rank him. I'm giving a decent amount of weight on the fact that Cooks was a Biletnikoff semi-finalist in 2012 and then won in 2013 and maybe too much. He's definitely fast but when I see him make cuts, he's not very efficient. He also doesn't appear to be much of a juker like a DeSean Jackson. OBJ seems to shine over Cooks in that facet which I think is a more important trait.

I've been changing my rankings nightly this week as I anticipate the NFL draft. But as of this moment, here are the top 7 guys I'm targeting (I have 5 first round picks):

Rank 2014 WRs 1 Sammy Watkins 2 Allen Robinson 3 Brandin Cooks 4 Jordan Matthews 5 Davante Adams 6 Odell Beckham Jr. 7 Mike Evans

You'd think it's an easily learned trait, but apparently, by talking to many people in the industry, it's not...

But the way Beckham makes that step towards the ball to create that separation (and make the catch) is awesome. far too many WRs let the ball come to them, Beckham seems to always go to the ball, which creates that space that allows him to make the first move to get my defenders without elite speed.

Love this kid

Reminds me a little bit of Donald Driver. Not going to just fly downfield, but great making cuts and presenting a reliable target.

Rank 2014 WRs 1 Sammy Watkins 2 Allen Robinson 3 Brandin Cooks 4 Jordan Matthews 5 Davante Adams 6 Odell Beckham Jr. 7 Mike Evans
I agree with the high ranking of Robinson btw, and sort of lower ranking of Beckham Jr. There's a lot of optimism surrounding Beckham after measuring well at the combine, but it doesn't help him create more separation than some of the other receivers in this draft. Despite his physical traits, he couldn't outproduce his less gifted teammate Landry, which worries me.

With that said, I wouldn't rank Beckham Jr. below Adams, or especially Matthews - of whom I have even more of the same reservation.

I agree with the high ranking of Robinson btw, and sort of lower ranking of Beckham Jr. There's a lot of optimism surrounding Beckham after measuring well at the combine, but it doesn't help him create more separation than some of the other receivers in this draft. Despite his physical traits, he couldn't outproduce his less gifted teammate Landry, which worries me.

With that said, I wouldn't rank Beckham Jr. below Adams, or especially Matthews - of whom I have even more of the same reservation.
Yeah, Im having a hard time with those three guys. Really my whole top 7 is tough to rank. Tome there is no slam dunk pick. My favorite is A Rob and if his combine 40 would have been higher he would be my slam dunk.

I read some blurbs from SEC coaches and they all echoed the same sentiment...their defensive game plan was to take away Beckham, not Landry. So I wouldn't worry too much about Landry marginally outperforming Beckham.

Faust....I dig what you do. I appreciate you adding links to these outside articles that I'd otherwise probably not come across.

However, I can't tell you how many times I click on a thread I'm following to see that the only new post is you posting a link.

Just once I wish you'd bring an opinion/analysis to the table. Maybe you do at times, but it doesn't seem like it's very often.

Again, not bashing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Faust....I dig what you do. I appreciate you adding links to these outside articles that I'd otherwise probably not come across.

However, I can't tell you how many times I click on a thread I'm following to see that the only new post is you posting a link.

Just once I'd like for you to bring an opinion/analysis to the table. Maybe you do at times, but it doesn't seem like it.

Again, not bashing...
Fair comment. It takes significant time to hunt down and post the volume of articles that I come across, so it doesn't leave a lot of time for me to add my own commentary, and often the articles are comprehensive enough that there isn't always much else to add. I also appreciate the debate and discussion that they stimulate among the FBG community and I gain a lot of insight from what gets posted in these discussions (when the threads don't deteriorate into bickering and name calling, which can happen frequently, and we should keep this one in mind at all times:URGENT - Please Read ).

I also post the Rookie polls and the Annual Training Camp threads, which also take a lot of time, so I don't always leave my own commentary in what I post. I will try to add my own thoughts a little more!

Just once I'd like for you to bring an opinion/analysis to the table. Maybe you do at times, but it doesn't seem like it.

Again, not bashing...
Fair comment. It takes significant time to hunt down and post the volume of articles that I come across, so it doesn't leave a lot of time for me to add my own commentary, and often the articles are comprehensive enough that there isn't always much else to add. I also appreciate the debate and discussion that they stimulate among the FBG community and I gain a lot of insight from what gets posted in these discussions (when the threads don't deteriorate into bickering and name calling, which can happen frequently, and we should keep this one in mind at all times:URGENT - Please Read ).

I also post the Rookie polls and the Annual Training Camp threads, which also take a lot of time, so I don't always leave my own commentary in what I post. I will try to add my own thoughts a little more!
:thumbup:

Jeremiah: Odell Beckham fits Pittsburgh Steelers at No. 15 pickBy Bryan Fischer

College Football 24/7 writer

Depth at the wide receiver position in the 2014 NFL Draft is becoming readily apparent with each passing week. Sure there are elite talents such as Sammy Watkins likely to come off the board within the first five picks, but what seems to make this a great receiver class is the quality of players expected to available in the later rounds.

That said, there's still a good chance that some high-end talents at the position will go early in the draft as teams look to land some playmakers for today's pass-happy NFL. One of the teams certain to be in the market for a wideout is undoubtedly the Pittsburgh Steelers.

While a number of folks think the team will look to shore up the secondary with their first-round draft pick, it's possible they'll opt to go a different direction when May rolls around. Coach Mike Tomlin and other Steelers personnel were recently at LSU's pro day to take in the workout of receiver Odell Beckham Jr. and even took him out for dinner the night before.

Could Beckham actually be in play for Pittsburgh with the 15th overall pick?

"Absolutely," NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah said on Friday's "Path to the Draft." "He's my third-rated wide receiver in this draft class behind Mike Evans and Sammy Watkins. (Beckham) is electric with the football in his hands. He gives you so much explosiveness. Plus, you have the added value of seeing what he can do in the return game.

"I think he's a very exciting player."Recent NFL.com mock drafts don't have Beckham going quite that high in the draft, with just two analysts thinking he'll go as early as the 18th overall pick to the Jets.

It wouldn't be a huge surprise, though, if the Steelers were to reach a little for someone like Beckham, who has risen quickly to become the third-best receiver in the draft in Jeremiah's eyes. Unless Evans were to somehow fall past the Giants with the 12th pick, Tomlin and company could wind up grabbing a receiver who brings plenty of speed to the table even if he's not the biggest in the draft, at 5-foot-11.

"I know he doesn't have the size of a big receiver to replace Plexico Burress, but he's the best receiver likely to be on the board when they pick," Jeremiah said. "I think he'd be a great choice.

"Don't get hung up on size," he said. "You have a big receiver, you have a small receiver -- don't worry about that. Get the best one, and in this case it would be Odell Beckham."We're sure Todd Haley would easily be able to find a role for Beckham if indeed that's the selection in the first round. In fact, we're pretty sure Ben Roethlisberger is already lobbying the team to grab the LSU speedster and think defense in the second round.

Follow Bryan Fischer on Twitter @BryanDFischer.
Brown, Wheaton, and Beckham Jr. would be a nice trio for Roethlisberger to be throwing to, even if all 3 are under 6'

As much as I like Beckham, I am also a Steelers fan and I would not be happy if they went that route. I think Beckham could do well in Pittsburgh as a player but we need secondary help bad and a tall target not another sub 6foot guy with electric play-making.

PIT has had 6'0" plus WRs, but other than Plaxico (drafted before Tomlin), have they had many BIG WRs in recent years that made an impact? Limas Sweed was a bust, of course.

They seem to like WRs that aren't necessarily huge. They do have a good TE, one of the better complete blocker/receiver TEs, with Witten

Ward

Holmes

Wallace

Brown

Sanders

Wheaton

Cotchery

The SI 64, Nos. 24-20: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Kelvin Benjamin, Odell Beckham Jr. and more

Doug Farrar

Excerpt:

#22: Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU

Bio: The speed slot receiver has gained a lot of traction as a near-starting concept in the league over the last half-decade, with Victor Cruz leading the charge and a host of similar players following suit. Now, players like Randall Cobb exhibit new levels of versatility as key men in their offenses, and not just gimmicks for specific situations. It’s the perfect time for Odell Beckham Jr. to hit the NFL, because he has all the traits inherent to this type of player, and the production bears that out. In 2013, with first-year offensive coordinator Cam Cameron running a more expansive passing game, Beckham caught 57 passes for 1,117 yards and eight touchdowns. At the scouting combine drills, I was specifically impressed with his ability among all the receivers in his group to grasp and show that he’s a complete receiver and not just a guy who runs fast in a straight line. There shouldn’t be any problem when he is asked to do the same for his NFL team.

Strengths: Beckham can excel either outside or in the slot, and his primary attribute is his pure game-breaking speed. In the slot, he drives off the snap with quickness from the first step and can simply outrun safeties to his assigned area. Forces defenses to assign a deep defender and can take the top off a coverage. On the outside, Beckham moves smoothly downfield on routes to the sideline and the numbers, and he exhibits terrific change of direction skills. In addition, Beckham has an innate understanding of route concepts that will help him greatly at the NFL level — he has outstanding body control, looks the ball into his hands, gets open in small spaces and is elusive enough to juke defenders who try to grab him after the catch. And if he gets past those defenders, it’s off to the races again.

Kills defenses with comebacks and curls. Can take quick slants and bubble screens upfield in a hurry — he’ll be a great yards-after-catch asset at the next level. Dynamic return man who will change direction and doesn’t need much of an opening to make a big play or take it to the house.

Weaknesses: Beckham’s only real limitations are related to his size — he won’t win a lot of jump-ball battles, he’s not a physical blocker, and though he’s tough in traffic, it’s possible that he’ll be limited by bigger and more physical cornerbacks at the NFL level. Though he’s improved a great deal in his command of the little things, he will occasionally regress and miss a ball he should have caught. However, this isn’t the issue it used to be, and Beckham’s clear tendency to work hard and improve will serve him well when coverages get more complex.

Conclusion: Beckham appears to be gaining traction in the media in recent weeks as a high first-round prospect. Perhaps that’s because we’re all catching up on his tape and are impressed with what he brings to the field. NFL front offices in charge of monitoring such things on a year-round basis are already clued in, no doubt. Benjamin might not wind up being the best receiver in his class (though I wouldn’t totally rule that out), but among the pure speed guys, he’s the man at the top.

NFL player comparison: Kendall Wright, Tennessee Titans (1st round, 2012, Baylor)

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Kevin Weidl believes LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr.'s instincts, vision, and acceleration to find and exploit seams as a returner are all "exceptional" traits.
"Explosive athlete!" Weidl tweeted. Neither the game tape nor his measurements will deny that fact. Beckham (5-foot-11 1/4 and 198 pounds) was a star of the combine, posting an unofficial forty time of 4.31 and a 10-yard split of 1.50 seconds. The Tigers' star is capable of taking huge chunks of yards on bubble screens, slants and crossing routes, but you can also send him deep. In addition to the speed and athleticism, he'll go up and get the ball in contested situations.

Source: Kevin Weidl on Twitter

Rotoworld:

The San Francisco Chronicle reports the 49ers are "very interested" in LSU WR Odell Beckham.
The 49ers are widely considered a prime candidate to trade up in the draft, and they'd almost certainly need to do so to land Beckham. He's considered by many to be the No. 3 receiver in this year's class behind Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans, and there's belief that Beckham has a shot to go in the top ten. Beckham is an explosive athlete with sub-4.4 wheels and an ability to stretch the field. He'd give the Niners the vertical threat they desperately need.

Related: 49ers

Source: Eric Branch on Twitter

I love his measurables and Beckham looks to be highly drafted (also a good predictor), but have a tough time getting past 2 receiving TDs and marginal yardage totals in 26 SEC games. In his 9 games vs decent teams (not the non-conference fluff slate) in 2013: Auburn, Georgia, Miss State, Florida, Ole Miss, Alabama, Texas A&M, Arkansas and Iowa, Beckham did not score in 8 of them. He was held to 3 or fewer catches in 4 of the 9. Under 75 receiving yards in 7 of 9. I don't know of any way to spin those numbers to make them look good.

If he can't score TDs in the SEC, I don't tend to think he will start doing so in the NFL. Furthermore, this lack of production comes catching passes from Mettenberger (probably 1st-2nd rounder) and highly-touted and productive Jarvis Landry on the other side of the field. Just curious in hearing from those that have him highly ranked (like top three) as to what your thoughts are on his lack of production throughout his college career.

Zach Mettenberger is not a very good QB.

He only threw for 12 TD in 2012 and then 22 TD in 2013

Beckham did score 8 TD in 2013

In 2013 LSU ran the ball 40.5 times a game with 25 pass attempts and it is easier to throw it to Landry who will sell out to make up for the bad throw.

In 2013 LSU ran the ball 40.5 times a game with 25 pass attempts and it is easier to throw it to Landry who will sell out to make up for the bad throw.
Does it matter how good Beckum looks against Furman and UAB?

Yeah, and calling Mettenberger inaccurate is way off. Best to not make things up going forward.

Yeah, and calling Mettenberger inaccurate is way off. Best to not make things up going forward.
I said he makes bad throws not that he was inaccurate. So who is making things up? If you have watched him play or Landry or Beckham you see that they are constantly bailing him out on poorly placed passes even on easy throws like WR screens.

Accuracy:

While Zach Mettenberger had a respectable completion percentage in 2013 (64.9 %), he only has decent accuracy. Those stats are highly inflated by Mettenberger's surrounding talent. Both Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham Jr. will be picked in the first three rounds. Mettenberger also had Jeremy Hill to checkdown to. The biggest aspect Mettenberger can improve on is toning down short throws. Because of his rocket arm, he tends to overthrow receivers. Mettenberger's accuracy needs to improve if he wants to be successful in the NFL. http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2014/4/9/5591896/zach-mettenberger-scouting-report
You put all these weapons around the guy and set him up for success with NFL level coaching and all he does is put up 22 TD?

He is not a good QB.

I said he makes bad throws not that he was inaccurate. So who is making things up? If you have watched him play or Landry or Beckham you see that they are constantly bailing him out on poorly placed passes even on easy throws like WR screens.

Accuracy:

While Zach Mettenberger had a respectable completion percentage in 2013 (64.9 %), he only has decent accuracy. Those stats are highly inflated by Mettenberger's surrounding talent. Both Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham Jr. will be picked in the first three rounds. Mettenberger also had Jeremy Hill to checkdown to. The biggest aspect Mettenberger can improve on is toning down short throws. Because of his rocket arm, he tends to overthrow receivers. Mettenberger's accuracy needs to improve if he wants to be successful in the NFL. http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2014/4/9/5591896/zach-mettenberger-scouting-report
You put all these weapons around the guy and set him up for success with NFL level coaching and all he does is put up 22 TD?

He is not a good QB.
The NFL seemingly disagrees based on Mettenberger's draft grade. I think maybe smallish sample size/bad luck or that good teams rolled coverage over to Beckham's side could have some merit. Conversely, maybe Beckham is a potential undersized, highly-drafted, deep-threat bust, a la Ted Ginn or Troy Wiliamson (not comping as players, just draft position, size and that they busted)

Is Mettenberger better than Sean Mannion (Cooks' QB) who was so good that he returned for his senior year after getting his degree already? Or is he better than Austin Carta-Samuels (Jordan Matthews QB)? Or Tajh Boyd, a projected late round pick?

Cooks, Matthews and Watkins don't have the same production issues as Beckham with lesser QBs than Mettenberger.

I could see Beckham being the top wideout in this draft when all is said and done. I think he's more Isaac Bruce than Troy Williamson.

The guy screams Marvin Harrison to me. If he can develop his route running more and more that may be his ceiling (not exactly a low ceiling there).

Rotoworld:

Scouts that spoke with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel compared LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr. to Marvin Harrison and Greg Jennings.
"No holes that I can see," said one scout. "I think he will be great." In addition to having no noticeable weaknesses, Beckham goes 5-foot-11 1/4 and 198 pounds and runs a 4.3 forty. "Little bit of a diva but he is tough," another scout said. "More of an outside guy but he can stretch the field. Very, very, very explosive. Intriguing player." Beckham collected 143 catches for 2,340 yards (16.4) and 12 TDs over the past three years.

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Report: LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr. a 49ers targetBy Mike Huguenin

The San Francisco 49ers traded up last year to land a player from LSU in the first round. The same plan could be unfolding this year.

Last year, the 49ers nabbed LSU free safety Eric Reid. This year, the object of their affection could be Tigers wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. The Niners are "very interested" in Beckham, a source told The San Francisco Chronicle.

Beckham is considered a certain first-round pick, but how early he goes in the round is the question. While he is a first-rounder, he also is in the second tier of receivers, behind Clemson's Sammy Watkins and Texas A&M's Mike Evans, both of whom could go in the top 10. Beckham, Oregon State's Brandin Cooks and USC's Marqise Lee are in the "race" to be the third receiver picked, and Beckham seemingly is the leader in that group.

The 49ers own the 30th pick, which is too late to get Beckham. But where do the 49ers have to be to be able to snag Beckham? While teams that pick in the early to mid-teens certainly would make room for Beckham, especially Pittsburgh at No. 15, most have bigger position issues than wide receiver. Plus, given the depth at receiver in this draft, those teams could figure they can grab a receiver in the second or third round who fits just as well. But that changes when you get to the New York Jets, who pick 18th. The Jets need to add a lot of talent to their receiving corps and almost certainly would be interested in Beckham.

The Baltimore Ravens pick 17th and are said to be willing to trade the pick; heck, the Ravens' official website posted a story Wednesday with this headline: "Ravens Already Discussing Draft Trades With Teams." (We'll pause here for a minute to let you remember who coaches the Ravens and 49ers.)

San Francisco has 11 picks in this draft, including six in the top 100; in short, the 49ers almost certainly could meet any asking price when it comes to draft picks. And Baltimore GM Ozzie Newsome usually does good things with later-round picks.

Beckham (5-foot-11, 198 pounds) played in a legitimate passing offense for the first time as a junior in 2013 -- the Tigers' passing offense was (ahem) less-than-sophisticated until coordinator Cam Cameron arrived -- and saw his draft stock rise. It has continued to rise in the run-up to the draft. Beckham showed off his elusiveness on the field last fall and at February's NFL Scouting Combine, where he ran a 4.43 40-yard dash and looked good in the drills. He has the potential to develop into a legitimate go-to receiver in two or three seasons, and his ability to stretch the field isn't something the 49ers really have right now.

"What he can do in the passing game -- go up and get the football, run after the catch, can stretch the field vertically, and then the added bonus (is) he's an outstanding returner," NFL Media draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah said on NFL Network's "Mock Draft Weekly" in early April.

Putting Beckham in the same lineup with Michael Crabtree and Vernon Davis would give quarterback Colin Kaepernick three intriguing passing targets and likely would improve the 49ers' offense as a whole. An offense that's even a smidgen better than last season's might be enough to get the 49ers back to the Super Bowl.

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.

Accuracy:

He is not a good QB.
The NFL seemingly disagrees based on Mettenberger's draft grade. I think maybe smallish sample size/bad luck or that good teams rolled coverage over to Beckham's side could have some merit. Conversely, maybe Beckham is a potential undersized, highly-drafted, deep-threat bust, a la Ted Ginn or Troy Wiliamson (not comping as players, just draft position, size and that they busted)

Is Mettenberger better than Sean Mannion (Cooks' QB) who was so good that he returned for his senior year after getting his degree already? Or is he better than Austin Carta-Samuels (Jordan Matthews QB)? Or Tajh Boyd, a projected late round pick?

Cooks, Matthews and Watkins don't have the same production issues as Beckham with lesser QBs than Mettenberger.
Mettenberger has been mocked to the Vikings more than any other QB in the draft. So naturally as I am a Vikings fan I look into the player and if I think that is a good idea.

I do not. I think he is very over-rated QB who besides size and arm strength has a lot of holes in his game.

NFL exec: 'Streaky' Mettenberger looks 'terrible' at times

By Mike Huguenin

Former LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger had surgery for a torn ACL on Jan. 2, but says he doesn't have any physical limitations and will prove it Wednesday with his workout during LSU's pro day.

"The biggest milestone I want to hit is when the lights are on and all the coaches are here, do explosive five-step drops, be able to redirect in the pocket and still throw downfield, roll out, throw the ball on the move, and show that my knee is not going to slow me down," Mettenberger told NFL Media reporter Albert Breer. "I'm not going to be on the PUP (physically unable to perform) list to start the season. I'm going to be ready to go for rookie camp."

Breer reported via Twitter that LSU trainer Jack Marucci said they tested Mettenberger's reconstructed left knee Friday and that and it came back at 97 percent. Marucci also said that if the national title game were Thursday, Mettenberger would be able to play.

Mettenberger measured in at 6-foot-5 and 224 pounds at February's NFL Scouting Combine, but was unable to work out at the event. His prototypical size and strong arm has led to speculation that he could be drafted as early as the second round in May's draft; he is expected to be off the board by the end of the second day (Rounds 2-3).

His workout will be heavily scrutinized by NFL decision-makers. One AFC personnel director told Breer that Mettenberger "can make all the throws" and has one of the stronger arms in the draft. But there are issues.

"I really think, on the field, his accuracy is the issue" the personnel director said. "He can get cold, and you can't answer that between now and the draft. That's a coach saying, 'We can fix this, tweak his fundamentals and reads.' With his accuracy, he's streaky; he'll get hot and rip off nine straight, or come out and look terrible."

There also are some concerns about his lack of mobility. In addition, there are some off-field issues: He was dismissed from Georgia as a freshman for an incident that led to him eventually pleading guilty to sexual battery charges. He was sentenced to 12 months of probation and 80 hours of community service and spent the 2010 season at Butler (Kan.) Community College.

"This kid was living the life. He lived it at Georgia, he was still like that at community college and he came in out of shape and heavy to LSU (in 2012)," an AFC area scout told Breer. "That lifestyle will do that to you, especially if you're a big body like his. But those guys can grow up, and he matured at the rate you'd expect of a college kid. ... If it wasn't for the incident, none of the stuff he's done is that bad. ... And I think he probably learned his lesson."

Mettenberger threw for 3,082 yards, 22 touchdowns and eight interceptions in 2013 before tearing the ACL in his left knee in LSU's regular-season finale against Arkansas. He had knee surgery Jan. 2 but began throwing again early in February. Mettenberger has had mechanical and accuracy issues, though former NFL head coach and assistant Cam Cameron's hiring before the 2013 season helped Mettenberger improve in those areas.

"This being his first year in a pro offense, I think he thrived, playing in a system that emphasizes all the things we do -- dropback passing, play fakes, making progressions in the pocket," the AFC area scout told Breer. "He did a nice job. The only thing that limits him is his mobility: He's a traditional, old-school pocket passer. And in today's NFL, with the all the speed out there, for a throwback pocket passer to be successful, they have to be an absolutely tremendous passer and they have to be able to function if moved off (their) spot."

Breer reported Mettenberger already has met with New England, Oakland and Tennessee, and will travel to Jacksonville to meet with Jaguars representatives Thursday. He will work out for Detroit on Saturday in Baton Rouge.

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.
Not saying that dismisses your question about Beckhams production. I think that is a good question. I am just giving some perspective/context as to why the numbers may not look very good.

As far as the other QBs Mannion did throw for 37 TD compared to Mettenberger's 22. So he may not be a better QB for the NFL but his college numbers are certainly better.

Matthews is just outstanding pretty much any way you look at him. I cannot really argue that Beckham is a better WR than he is.

Rather than quote that mega-quoted post, Biabreakable, I will just say thanks for the feedback. I actually like Beckham to an extent and am still struggling to figure out where to rank him in this WR class, hence the questions on production.

Rather than quote that mega-quoted post, Biabreakable, I will just say thanks for the feedback. I actually like Beckham to an extent and am still struggling to figure out where to rank him in this WR class, hence the questions on production.
It gives me some pause as well. I was reading McGinn's piece yesterday and what he and the scouts he was talking to mentioned is that the junior WR who had good production in two of their college seasons compared to only one were much more successful. While the juniors who only had one season of good production failed more frequently in the NFL.

I think I put that in the 2014 WR thread. The cut off was 36+ receptions. So Beckham did accomplish that all 3 seasons he played.

One team uncovered a significant correlation in the failure rate for junior wide receivers that had fewer than 36 receptions before their final season. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/its-a-great-year-if-youre-looking-for-pass-catchers-b99258023z1-257422991.html#ixzz30QEf6VCW

Khalil Mack is '1A' pass rusher behind Jadeveon Clowney

By Mike Huguenin

Excerpt:

LSU wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr.: Casserly called him the third-best receiver in this draft and said Beckham is "a faster Michael Crabtree." But Casserly isn't sure where Beckham will go in the first round. He says Watkins and Texas A&M's Mike Evans are going to go early, "but I don't see a receiver coming back into play until the Jets at 18, Philly at 22 and Kansas City at 23."

POSTED FEBRUARY 27, 2014
Receivers Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry bring new level of LSU excellence to draft

2014 NFL DRAFT PRIMER, NFL DRAFT, NFL DRAFT 2014

BY DOUG FARRAR http://nfl.si.com/2014/02/27/odell-beckham-jr-jarvis-landry-lsu-2014-nfl-draft/
LSU has sent several receivers to the NFL in the last few decades. From Eric Martin to Eddie Kennison back in the day, to Devery Henderson and Dwayne Bowe more recently, the Tigers have been a good source for raw talent at the position. And in the 2014 draft, there are two such players looking to make their mark on the NFL. Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham Jr. are very different players, but they’ve been tight since the day they each walked on campus — and even before.

“It’s an interesting relationship,” Landry said at the scouting combine last week. “I got a chance to meet him our sophomore year of high school and we talked about playing together and competing against each other each game, each week. We finally had a chance to go to LSU together, and it was surreal just to think that all that we talked about, we were experiencing.”

Both were high-school standouts in Louisiana. Landry was at the top of all the recruiting lists out of Lutcher High, from MaxPreps to Rivals to Scout.com, and Beckham joined Cooper Manning as the only players from Isidore Newman High in New Orleans to post a 1,000-yard receiving season. Rivals.com listed him as the best receiver prospect in the nation. But it was when they joined forces at LSU that their styles of play meshed perfectly together, and ushered in a new level of productivity. In 2013, Landry grabbed 77 passes for 1,193 yards and 10 touchdowns, while Beckham caught 57 balls for 1,117 yards and eight scores. Their yards per reception totals (15.5 for Landry, 19.6 for Beckham), clearly outline their disparate but complementary skills.

“We each bring different things,” Beckham said last week. “He’s a possession guy — he can catch everything around him. I’m a guy who’s going to take the top off a defense and use my speed and strength. He’s a physical guy who’s going to make the tough catches. I’m looking forward to seeing how the draft plays out.”

One of Landry’s underrated attributes is that he’s effective from anywhere in the formation — from outside, to in the slot, to inside and outside in trips and bunch formations. He doesn’t have top-end field speed, but he has developed the skills possession receivers need to succeed in the NFL — he has good hands, runs the whole route tree and makes tough catches in traffic. He’s practiced at getting yards after the catch on short passes, and he’s a willing (if not always on-target) blocker. You’d like Landry to be a little bigger with his specific skillset — slower, tougher guys really help if they can jump up and win in the red zone — but he can help any NFL team if the scheme can account for his difficulty in gaining separation at the line of scrimmage.

Beckham has no issue gaining separation — as he said, he excels at taking the top off a defense. As a receiver and returner, he’s got rare speed, and the ability to hit a top gear at a moment’s notice. Over and over, you’ll see him hang with a defender for a split second, and just accelerate into another dimension. He’s incredibly shifty in short spaces and has amazing downfield vision. And Beckham isn’t just a straight-line threat. His understanding of routes, while not on the same level as Landry’s, is impressive. Add in a surprising catch radius for a player his size (5-foot-11, 196), and you’ve got a sure first-rounder able to help any offense in the NFL. Though Clemson’s Sammy Watkins is the consensus top receiver in this class, I’d say that Beckham is the better home-run threat — and in my opinion, there isn’t a lot to separate the two in overall value.

Landry’s combine performance wasn’t anything to write home about — he posted the slowest official 40 time among all receivers at 4.77 — but that isn’t his game anyway. That probably makes him a low second- or high third-round pick in theory. Beckham, on the other hand, went off at Lucas Oil Stadium, as I wrote in my pool report.

Overall, the thing that impressed me most about Beckham in these drills was that he’s very comfortable with his speed. Not only is he track and field-fast, he also glides through routes and catches the ball with confidence. On the gauntlet drill, he ran through and caught everything, keeping his feet on the line all the way through. A lot of receivers weave through (Mike Evans had an issue with this), but Beckham stayed with his speed. He’s compact in his movements and doesn’t shoot out of line. This matches up with his game tape — even when he’s creating explosive plays, he’s consistent with his movements.

Beckham looked pretty good on the six-yard slant, making a quick in-cut to catch the ball. But on the 10-yard out to the left, he rounded his cut a bit, though he caught the ball. The 17-yard in-and-up was a bit more of an adventure — Beckham was a bit slow in his break off the line, and he rolled through the second pylon. And if there’s one thing I’d say he needs to work on, it’s the consistent ability to cut and keep with a quarterback’s timing. On deep routes with fewer angles, Beckham was in his element – fluid off the snap and great acceleration up the field. Moreover, that speed is consistent, meaning that quarterbacks can time him with confidence. And I believe that’s one of the more underrated attributes a receiver can have. He adjusted to his right and left on deeper routes to grab passes that were a bit off, and you love to see a player who can bail his quarterback out. Again, that’s consistent with his LSU tape.

Beckham was slightly choppy on the 12-yard curl, but he was clearly trying to be better with his cuts there, and he was OK. He ran through nicely and sank his hips into the breaks. The final route was a deep post corner, where the receiver starts at the 15-yard line, cuts in at the 26, out at the 34, and bends the route to about the 50-yard line. He sat in his breaks (adjusted to cut momentum) very well here and made another nice adjustment to catch the ball.

Beckham ran an official 4.33 40, good for a tie for fifth among all receivers, and he was as athletic in the drills as he was on the field. This should be no surprise, as athleticism runs in the family. Beckham’s father played running back for LSU from 1990 through ’92, and his mother, Heather Van Norman, was an All-America track runner at LSU from 1991 through ’93, playing a big part in the Tigers’ string of five straight national championships.

As athletic as Beckham is, he wasn’t quite sure he could beat his mom in a straight race right now. He said last week with a somewhat straight face that the two have a race planned for sometime after the combine.

“I’d definitely say it helped out,” he said. “My mom being a track star — it definitely made me who I am today. My mom’s always coaching me up on track stuff, and my dad’s always helping me with football. I remember her texting me after games, and I’ve had decent games, and she’s said, ‘Oh, your form looks great.’ It’s funny to hear coming from her, but she’s a track coach.”

Beckham has a lot of confidence in his ability to transition to the NFL, and the tape backs it up.

“I’d definitely say I’m up there with the best. It just depends on what a team needs, and which team likes you.”

Landry knows where he stands in the scheme of things, and he’s appreciative of the differences between himself and his teammate and friend.

“It’s like apples and oranges. We’re both great players. We’re both weird players. He takes the top off things a lot. For me, it’s intermediate, it’s special teams and kickoff. It’s the dirty work mostly, but you know, I love to do it.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the videos of the links above what I saw was Beckham doing well on the come back routes, as the defenders gave him a lot of space respecting his deep speed.

He is targeted deep a few times in the video all but one of them were off target. One he does catch he had to come back for the ball and catch it over the defender who also had a chance to make a play on the ball. He makes a couple catches that were almost in the ground. I will say this for Mettenberger he does throw the deep out well, and that is a difficult throw.

Rotoworld:

ESPN New York's Rich Cimini is "hearing" LSU WR Odell Beckham "won't make it" to the Jets at the No. 18 overall pick.
Jets fans are clamoring for Beckham or Brandin Cooks, but may have to settle for the latter, assuming GM John Idzik agrees with their roster assessment. "If the Jets want (Beckham)," Cimini wrote, "they'll have to trade up." Idzik knows his roster is among the NFL's weakest, so we can't imagine him pulling the trade-up trigger. He'll stay true to his board and draft the highest-rated player. We could see "ODB" going as early as No. 10 to Detroit or No. 12 to the Giants.

Related: Jets

Source: Rich Cimini on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Sports Illustrated's Peter King reports the Bills "love" LSU WR Odell Beckham.
The Bills are a candidate to jump up in the draft to potentially nab Clemson WR Sammy Watkins, but sticking at No. 9 overall and selecting Beckham wouldn't be a bad consolation prize. Ninth overall might be a bit high to grab Beckham, but his stock has steadily been on the rise. The Lions and Giants at Nos. 10 and 12, respectively, could also be eyeing the speedy wideout.

Related: Bills

Source: Sports Illustrated

Rotoworld:

Sports Illustrated's Peter King reports the Bills "love" LSU WR Odell Beckham.
The Bills are a candidate to jump up in the draft to potentially nab Clemson WR Sammy Watkins, but sticking at No. 9 overall and selecting Beckham wouldn't be a bad consolation prize. Ninth overall might be a bit high to grab Beckham, but his stock has steadily been on the rise. The Lions and Giants at Nos. 10 and 12, respectively, could also be eyeing the speedy wideout.

Related: Bills

Source: Sports Illustrated
Peter King perusing the boards and noticed Andy Dufresne's mock draft?

You. I saw every game. Landry and Beckham were playmakers, but bailing him out is fiction. I'm not calling you a liar, I'm saying you didn't see the games. You can dispense with the hilarious semantics games of bad throws vs inaccurate. I'm sure you regretted that right after you posted it.

How much does OBD's value change if he goes to say the Jets versus the Bills versus the Giants? Those seem like are the three teams I hear mentioned right now and they make sense. I hope it's the Giants personally. Does his value take a hit on the Jets and Bills or would he still be the concensus 1.03?

His value will definite be lower if he is picked by Bills or Jets. I am not sure why you think he will be 1.03? There are a couple of RBs I like better.

How much does OBD's value change if he goes to say the Jets versus the Bills versus the Giants? Those seem like are the three teams I hear mentioned right now and they make sense. I hope it's the Giants personally. Does his value take a hit on the Jets and Bills or would he still be the concensus 1.03?
I wouldn't be against it but I really don't see this happening. I think the only guys the Giants will take at 12 are: Martin, Evans, Ebron, Donald if any of them fall or if not, they will try to trade back.

His value will definite be lower if he is picked by Bills or Jets. I am not sure why you think he will be 1.03? There are a couple of RBs I like better.
By all accounts , this RB class is weak and there aren't many clear cut RB's that I'd take a chance on that early in the rookie drafts. Watkins, Evans, ODB, Lee and maybe even Latimer are safer picks.

I'm just curious which RB's you like? The reason I ask is that there seems to be a lot of disagreement on who even the top 5 RB's are......not the order of those RB's, but just who the top 5 ARE.....let alone ranking those top 5. Please tell me who you have ranked so high......because I bet you'll change your mind on said RB's once they aren't drafted as high as you anticipate.

Users who are viewing this thread