What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., BAL (6 Viewers)

He's gotta be the biggest non-injury top 3 fantasy pick bust that I can remember in playing 15 years of FF. Damn you fantasy experts for saying he's worthy of a top 2 pick overall. He has single handedly ruined 2 of my leagues of which I have a combined 4 titles in the last 4 years.
:lmao: :violin: :fishing:

Eli is playing like crap.

Shepard is better than advertised, which reduces the number of targets going OBJ's way.

Beckham is a headcase and opponents can get under his skin.  I wouldn't be surprised if he is suspended again this year.

And opponents are making sure Beckham doesn't beat them.

OBJ will be better but there is a great chance he isn't going to deliver top 3 pick value this year.

I'm not worried.  He is an elite WR.  Last night Eli was horrible.  He really looked like he was playing scared.  He was chucking when he still had time in the first half and then late in the game when they needed to get the ball down field he pretty much dumped it off to his RB every play.  

Reminder, he is going against a secondary that gave up 200+ to Marvin and 170+ to Diggs this coming week. That stadium in Minnesota is going to be the real 12th man in the NFL in a due time.

I'd buy him in dynasty if I could, but doubt there's a single owner that'd sell any cheaper than they would have before the season started

EDITED: Top 3 Bust in 15 years? SMH, was that a real comment or sour grapes because he didnt perform for you this week on the road in Minnesota with a QB who played bad?
Probably more frustration than anything. However, you'd have to look pretty hard to think of a top 3 player who has busted this bad in the first 4 games that wasn't injury related. Would love to heard some examples.

Probably more frustration than anything. However, you'd have to look pretty hard to think of a top 3 player who has busted this bad in the first 4 games that wasn't injury related. Would love to heard some examples.
I guess you could be mathematically correct if the player pool is only top 3 picks.  But 11,16,22 ppr pts in before yesterday doesn't seem like an historical bust.  As pointed out last week, he has had some bad luck with drops and misses by Eli that could have made this conversation a joke. I'm not worried.  

Just occurred  to me that was on a different board. Here's the highlights:

This is has probably been said somewhere in the 2 pages, but I'll take 7-121 vs. "the best corner in football". Also, if you watched the game you may agree with me that Eli threw behind him on 2 potential TDs. First one was when Norman almost had the pick at the goal line and the second was on a shallow crossing route. And finally, keep in mind that he has two uncharacteristic TD drops in weeks 1 and 2. Best dynasty WR in my opinion with age putting him ahead of AB and Julio.

Completely agree. OBJ BURNED Norman for that TD, and Eli threw it about 4 yards behind where it should have been. OBJ slowed up, reached way behind him, and Norman dove forward to almost intercept it. Not a spectacular coverage, almost INT play like the announcers played it off as. OBJ burned his bleep and the pass wasn't delivered. Eli also missed a wide open OBJ for about a 75 yard reception, throwing to a contested Shepard instead. Just a bad QB read, but OBJ burned his coverage. If he were looked at on that play, it would have been over 200 and a TD for him going against primarily Norman. There is nothing wrong with OBJ right now. 121 against Norman when he was missed on multiple opportunities for a game that should have been so much bigger and people gather that he might not be that good? 

And another thing! The reason he attacked the kicking net (and lost) was because the play before he was WIDE bleep OPEN on a corner route for a TD and Eli forced it to Shepard again! Seriously, it could have been a bigger game than Marvin's (whom I also started). 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not going to bother with the agenda driven (own him or hate him) likely BS that is most of this board, but it's simple as this:

Guy needs to shut the hell up, focus on playing the game and produce.  He has physical tools very, very few possess. Nothing has shown us that he has issues off the field and he seems like a decent guy.  

But the success clearly went to his head and being in the biggest media market that can get a guy lost.

So? Shut the hell up, focus on playing the game and produce.   Time for you to earn your keep, Gilbride. 

I saw it earlier on twitter but can't find it now to give proper attribution - someone pointed out that through four games last year, Odell's receptions and yards were almost identical, the receptions were within 1 or 2 and yards were within 25 or so. Only real difference is the two TDs. However, that is ignoring targets which may be an issue. As JBZ pointed out Eli doesn't really need to force it to Odell anymore. 

I usually don't do the armchair interview psychologist thing, but some of his comments about the refs after the game seemed bad to me - they were very "they're out to get me and no one else" and seemed kinda silly. 

ESPN is calling it a meltdown. This stuff happens in every game with a ton of players, he leads the 3pm NFL live, the 4-0 Vikings didnt, but this story.
I love the sports media, I can always count on them to drive the narrative.

This is a guy who grew up with WRs such as Terrell Owens, Chad Ochocinco Johnson, Keyshawn Johnson, and Randy Moss to idolize. The top 4 headcase diva WRs in the last 15-20 years IMO. He received a lot of attention his first and even second years. After that Carolina game, when he was basically put in his place, he lost it. He is frustrated because he is getting his butt handed to him by great coverage. Teams have good tape and they are playing him great. I really don't think he has the mental capacity to make it... something happened after that Carolina game last year and he hasn't been the same since. He's a little kid pouting because he's not getting his way.

Wish I could unload him for his max value, but at this point I might as well hold onto him and hope he turns his season around and finishes strong. Glad his keeper contract has expired on my team and I can no longer keep him after this season. 

He's going to put up 100+ and 2 TD's this week and if he doesn't, I'll eat my hat.  
What kind of hat? Straw, beret, baseball, fedora, gatsby, top, sombrero? 

I'm mostly replying to this so I can find it easily a week from now and ask for a video... 

I have to say, it is kind of amusing people talk about how he is a little kid pouting, as people are on message boards complaining about a football players attitude and how it relates to stats on their make believe teams.

I have to say, it is kind of amusing people talk about how he is a little kid pouting, as people are on message boards complaining about a football players attitude and how it relates to stats on their make believe teams.
Complaining is not pouting. Pouting is exactly what children do. And I'm not complaining. I am making an observation as to how he looks on the sideline. I couldn't care less how my fantasy team does during the first 4 weeks of the season. I'll probably make the playoffs and from there it's a crap shoot TBH. I'm 1-3 right now in 8/12th place. I'm quite happy... would have won against 75% other teams in my league last week (went against Julio), and I have been without my QB1 and RB1 for the first 3 weeks. I'm not up in arms over his play. If anyone is, you drafted the guy knowing he's a diva from last year. Take your lumps with your celebrations

I didnt meant hat directly at you, but many who are saying the same. I am a little taken a back at how people who watch men beat each other out of their heads every week get upset at how these guys act and get sensitive on issues just like these. He got a 15 yard penalty and the world ended. I am not even a Giants fan, heard all this talk on the radio while trying to get Jets news. Its all the talk, a 15 yard penalty. This is more about people wanting to be blow hards and nothing to do with actual productive talk of information for the listener. Kind of let into my interest in this ridiculousness a bit, didnt I?

The childish temper? I can say Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady have childish tempers. These are people who get paid to play a kids game. Perspective, these are not bankers, they are people who hit each other and compete under lights for others statistical enjoyment.
The prime difference being Rodgers and Brady don't let it get in the way of their play on the field.

Teams know you can get in Beckham's head now. So of course they're going to push the issue and try to throw him off his game.

Ever see A.J. Green lose his cool because a DB was being physical with him?

Is Green the same person as Odell? No they are two different players. What makes Green successful is not playing the way Odell does that makes him successful. Sure the attitude effects the play of Brady and Rodgers. Howe can it not? Brady has had bad games and so has Rodgers, but because the media isnt out to get them you wont hear about it. I am in NYC right now, this media is out to get Beckham here. I guarantee it. I find myself feeling like a Giants fan and I cant stand them.

Beckham is catching major flack. He has not done what TO has, or even Ocho and you would think he has. He smacked his helmet on a net last week and got a 15 yard penalty for shoving a player. Are we really serious?

How many other players got 15 yard penalties this week? Do you even know or do you not care because the media isnt talking about it? Kind of crazy its this huge.

I saw it earlier on twitter but can't find it now to give proper attribution - someone pointed out that through four games last year, Odell's receptions and yards were almost identical, the receptions were within 1 or 2 and yards were within 25 or so. Only real difference is the two TDs. However, that is ignoring targets which may be an issue. As JBZ pointed out Eli doesn't really need to force it to Odell anymore. 

I usually don't do the armchair interview psychologist thing, but some of his comments about the refs after the game seemed bad to me - they were very "they're out to get me and no one else" and seemed kinda silly. 
Last year through four games, 41 targets, 24 receptions, 307 yards

This year through four games, 39 targets, 22 receptions, 303 yards

Targets per game; 10.8(2014), 10.5(2015), 9.8(4 games this year)

There's really nothing to see here. Some are overreacting to one bad game. Julio had his last week; Beckham had his this week.

Is Green the same person as Odell? No they are two different players. What makes Green successful is not playing the way Odell does that makes him successful. Sure the attitude effects the play of Brady and Rodgers. Howe can it not? Brady has had bad games and so has Rodgers, but because the media isnt out to get them you wont hear about it. I am in NYC right now, this media is out to get Beckham here. I guarantee it. I find myself feeling like a Giants fan and I cant stand them.

Beckham is catching major flack. He has not done what TO has, or even Ocho and you would think he has. He smacked his helmet on a net last week and got a 15 yard penalty for shoving a player. Are we really serious?
Oh give me a freaking break with that.

Were they out to get him in 2014 and 2015 when they wouldn't shut up about how great he was?

He's a star player playing in NYC. The media isn't out to get him. They're out to make money. And when there's a story about one of the most popular athletes in the country, they're going to report on it. Yes, the media loves to sensationalize and ESPN will talk about it 24/7 for weeks. But they would do the same for Rodgers, Brady, or any other ultra-famous player.

Remember deflategate? Yeah, that went on for a bit.

All part of being under the spotlight. Some players, like AJ Green, can handle it. Some cannot.

Well the media made it clear they were out to get Brady when it benefited them for story time. Deflategate anyone?

My point is when they get upset it isnt made a deal like when Beckham gets upset.

Last year through four games, 41 targets, 24 receptions, 307 yards

This year through four games, 39 targets, 22 receptions, 303 yards

Targets per game; 10.8(2014), 10.5(2015), 9.8(4 games this year)

There's really nothing to see here. Some are overreacting to one bad game. Julio had his last week; Beckham had his this week.
Awesome analysis man, thanks!

Ill tell you who is out to get who - im out to get OBJ in trade :thumbup:

Sure the attitude effects the play of Brady and Rodgers. Howe can it not? Brady has had bad games and so has Rodgers, but because the media isnt out to get them you wont hear about it. 

Well the media made it clear they were out to get Brady when it benefited them for story time. Deflategate anyone?
So is the media out to get Brady or not?

You seem to be saying they were out to get him when it benefited them, which was my point. They're not out to get Odell Beckham, they're trying to make a buck. Whether that's writing positive or negative stories they don't care as long as it makes them money.

Any way you slice it, if he doesn't act up they don't have anything to report.

If OBJ and AB switched spots.... OBJ would be on pace for 2,000 and AB would be the inconsistent WR to date.... Eli is all over the damn map with his location... 

I've been offered OBJ for Gronk (1ppr for WR and 1.5ppr for TE).  I have Graham at TE too and can start two if I want, just not sure if I prefer OBJ and his antics and possibly getting kicked out of a game or two for multiple misconduct fouls and an inconsistent Eli, or a gimpy Gronk who I assume will be at full strength the back end of the season.

I've been offered OBJ for Gronk (1ppr for WR and 1.5ppr for TE).  I have Graham at TE too and can start two if I want, just not sure if I prefer OBJ and his antics and possibly getting kicked out of a game or two for multiple misconduct fouls and an inconsistent Eli, or a gimpy Gronk who I assume will be at full strength the back end of the season.
I would take OBJ right now before the guy changes his mind.  Gronk has done nothing and reports are coming out that he's still not healthy.  Graham and OBJ are going to be better than Gronk.

Odell Beckham Jr. is frustrated with the increased amount of attention on his behavior during games and said he is "not having fun anymore" playing football.

The Giants star wide receiver reflected on his image and on his role in New York's offense during an interview with ESPN's Anita Marks on Tuesday, less than 24 hours after a disappointing performance in a nationally televised loss to the Minnesota Vikings.

"Football is my sanctuary," Beckham told Marks. "It's where I go to escape. It's where I'm most happy. I'm not having fun anymore."

Beckham's comments came on the heels of his latest on-field meltdown Monday, when he was flagged for a taunting penalty and repeatedly clashed with Minnesota's Xavier Rhodes. Beckham had been exchanging verbal barbs with Rhodes for several plays before when the Vikings cornerback hit him out of bounds after a 4-yard catch.

I don't like the "I'm not having fun anymore" comment.  He hasn't hit the big longterm mega payday yet but is this guy's heart in it for the long haul?  I hope it's just a temporary situation right now and his sports psychiatrist can dig him out of the hole.

I don't like the "I'm not having fun anymore" comment.  He hasn't hit the big longterm mega payday yet but is this guy's heart in it for the long haul?  I hope it's just a temporary situation right now and his sports psychiatrist can dig him out of the hole.
I'm telling you, the guy is a headcase. Can't cut it. If he can't get his head right he may not be around for the long haul

"Not having fun anymore" 

Good lord. Perhaps a good thing Idon't own him everywhere I wished I did. 
Makes up for gordon :)
Law of averages

My reccomendation bring in another guy who's had issues and semi learned to chanel his emotions better. 

Call me crazy buy a guy like Steve Smith Sr. of all people could actually probably help this guy. He just so happens to be an UFA after this yearr.

My reccomendation bring in another guy who's had issues and semi learned to chanel his emotions better. 

Call me crazy buy a guy like Steve Smith Sr. of all people could actually probably help this guy. He just so happens to be an UFA after this yearr.
I think he also qualifies for Social Security after this year

In all seriousness, I don't even think that would help. Beckham comes across to me as a guy who "has all the answers" and doesn't want to hear it from anyone. But that's me, a guy who sits at home and watches him on TV. For all I know he's a stand up guy who goes to church every Saturday night because he works Sundays

I'd like to tell Mr. Odell that, sure it's fun when you're doing great and teams don't have an answer for you. It's fun when you get by on talent alone and you don't have to try really hard. It's fun when you've settled into your niche and teams don't have a response for it. It's loads of fun when you're winning

It's less fun when teams figure you're schtick out and know how to defend you; press you and get into your head. It's not fun when you have to work hard to counter their counter. It's not fun when you have to study game film really hard, when you can't get by on your talent alone. But that's what separates the great players from the good players. If you want to be great you have to work at it. Sitting on the sidelines with that pouty look on your face just says that you don't want to work and you don't want to try. Greatness doesn't come easy. If it did everyone would be great. You have the potential to be great, but apparently not the desire. 

How do you know he doesnt study game film? He doesnt have the desire? What are you even talking about? He has the exact same stats as he does last year thru 4 games minus his TDs which are hard to predict. He works hard from everything I have read, his issue is they are getting in his head now... if he can fix that he will be great again.
These are the agenda driven posts that bother me. The irony of a bias guy on the internet telling a guy who has broken NFL records and made one handed catches look routine about greatness. Please let me know when you get down off that horse way up there.

Such overreaction.  Like has been said, his numbers are similar to last year, except for touchdowns, which I would argue is on his QB.  Let's face it, Eli has been mostly awful this season so far.  And that was an ####### move by Eli last night, calling Beckham out like that to the media. Even though Beckham does need to behave more, Eli should have had his back publicly.  Poor leadership. 

How do you know he doesnt study game film? He doesnt have the desire? What are you even talking about? He has the exact same stats as he does last year thru 4 games minus his TDs which are hard to predict. He works hard from everything I have read, his issue is they are getting in his head now... if he can fix that he will be great again.
These are the agenda driven posts that bother me. The irony of a bias guy on the internet telling a guy who has broken NFL records and made one handed catches look routine about greatness. Please let me know when you get down off that horse way up there.
Its hard to explain to avg joe even a dr avg joe that the whole "self entitled over paid athlete " schtick doesnt matter... OBJ is the one who worked hard and had the ability to become an elite professional athlete... not the other way around.  Hes been doing this stuff for awhile and it was josh Norman fued that sensationalized it so now guts in the locker room have to address it. If not for that this wouldnt be such a big deal. Dudes stats are really good and he comes to play hard. Its hard for a young emotional guy accept that he can't control everything with yelling.  

And to be fair.. he lit up norman im that game esp in crunch time. Giants just arent that good alomg with while duvision so he's frustrated bc he believes him  touching the ball helos them win. Problem is defense knows that so patience is key. Cowboys fan FYI so i watch all the nfc east teams

Just my jerky 2 cents...  :scared:

After 4 games you trade a guy who put on a performance to get you to take him so early that is equal to how he started this year, and you sell him for rookies who have yet to hit the wall? I think it is safe to say you panicked over nothing.

Its hard to explain to avg joe even a dr avg joe that the whole "self entitled over paid athlete " schtick doesnt matter... OBJ is the one who worked hard and had the ability to become an elite professional athlete... not the other way around.  Hes been doing this stuff for awhile and it was josh Norman fued that sensationalized it so now guts in the locker room have to address it. If not for that this wouldnt be such a big deal. Dudes stats are really good and he comes to play hard. Its hard for a young emotional guy accept that he can't control everything with yelling.  

And to be fair.. he lit up norman im that game esp in crunch time. Giants just arent that good alomg with while duvision so he's frustrated bc he believes him  touching the ball helos them win. Problem is defense knows that so patience is key. Cowboys fan FYI so i watch all the nfc east teams

Just my jerky 2 cents...  :scared:
Do I need to go into discussion of how many very good athletes just couldn't cut it in the nfl because of their psyche? "It's just not fun anymore" is very telling. Hoping I'm wrong and the guy goes nuts, but who is the last diva WR to ascend to greatness and stay there? The four names I mentioned above all fell apart at some point in their careers...

Users who are viewing this thread