What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., BAL (3 Viewers)

Somebody else said it but I think all it will take is one of his monster 150/2 games to snap him out of the mental funk. Eli needs to force feed him. Spreading it around isn't really working anyway. 
This! 

Just a matter a time!

Tex

Yeah you're not going to get him for super cheap, buy low I think in this case just means actually buyable if the owner has any doubts. 
I agree, although I didnt quite get that from the other poster..  I actually wanted to joke along the lines of  " Would ya be willing to offer Evans and a startable RB?"

Personally I wouldn't consider trading OBJ because of a slow start.  Id have to see him let me down during byes to even care about his production.  I believe hes the focus of an opposing defense! 

He is mentally insecure and weak.  His will and focus has been broken, and his opponents will continue to pile on as long as he continues to play into this perception.

You hope he can grow up and lose some of that insecurity.. but he is only going to get more and more of the same, making it harder and harder to do so.

I agree, although I didnt quite get that from the other poster..  I actually wanted to joke along the lines of  " Would ya be willing to offer Evans and a startable RB?"

Personally I wouldn't consider trading OBJ because of a slow start.  Id have to see him let me down during byes to even care about his production.  I believe hes the focus of an opposing defense! 
I think this raises an interesting question: does he actually have more dynasty value than Evans at this point? While I think OBJ is the more talented player, he has an aging QB and legitimate competition for targets. Evans is a target monster with a huge catch radius and a QB who is fearless in throwing jump balls.

In a redraft league, I wouldn't trade Evans straight up for OBJ and it's at least a tough call in dynasty.

Somebody else said it but I think all it will take is one of his monster 150/2 games to snap him out of the mental funk. Eli needs to force feed him. Spreading it around isn't really working anyway. 
Considering Diggs and Marvin Jones have shredded the Pack D this season this week is a great chance for OBJ to do that too.

I said if he doesn't get 100+ and 2 TD's this week I'll eat my hat.  I stand by that assertion.

• Smile
Reactions: SCT
I said if he doesn't get 100+ and 2 TD's this week I'll eat my hat.  I stand by that assertion.

What kind of hat? Straw, beret, baseball, fedora, gatsby, top, sombrero? I'm mostly replying to this so I can find it easily a week from now and ask for a video...

You're the second person to make that assertion in this thread

Last edited by a moderator:
So I have a question I consider legitimate that I'd like to propose to those who claim that OBJ is right on pace to what he was last year (minus TDs), when he finished the season as a top WR:

Do you think there is a chance OBJ turns into today's version of Chad Johnson. Chad Johnson would finish in the top 10-15 WRs yearly it seemed in fantasy with total points, but if you owned him ever you know that he would go 3/30 for 13 weeks but then 3 random weeks he'd score 11/230/3, inflating his stats. 

The last 2 years this was not the case for OBJ, but Chad Johnson wasn't always that kind of a WR either. In 2005 Chad Johnson had a similar year to what OBJ had last year, but in 2006 and 2007 he had a year similar to what I describe. After that the ship was going down and he continued to be streaky at best.

So at the end of the year, yeah his stats look great but how many weeks did he actually help versus hurt you in your lineup? Could be something to watch for. Some people like that kind of risk/reward. I prefer consistency myself. 

I think these diva WRs have a tendency to self destruct (see: TO, Moss, Keyshawn, Chad Johnson). Hopefully OBJ just shuts everyone up this week and continues to do well weekly. Just posing a question for the sake of discussion

What kind of hat? Straw, beret, baseball, fedora, gatsby, top, sombrero? I'm mostly replying to this so I can find it easily a week from now and ask for a video...

You're the second person to make that assertion in this thread
same person.  just reiterated it in response to another post.  Its a hat that has fake dreads built in.  I got it in Jamaica, it rules and I'll miss it.  That's how confident I am in his performance this week.

Its been 4 weeks. There are 12 to go.
I understand. I'm just asking a question. It may be ridiculous, I hope it is. As I've said earlier, I'm not trading him unless it's for top 5 WR value and no one in my league will be willing to pay that ever. That's how my league is.

It doesn't mean we can't look out for this kind of a season. Again, something to put on the back burner and keep an eye out for

I think this raises an interesting question: does he actually have more dynasty value than Evans at this point? While I think OBJ is the more talented player, he has an aging QB and legitimate competition for targets. Evans is a target monster with a huge catch radius and a QB who is fearless in throwing jump balls.

In a redraft league, I wouldn't trade Evans straight up for OBJ and it's at least a tough call in dynasty.
As an evans owner where I'm competing, I'd trade him straight for OBJ.  But I'd have to pause for a second before accepting and wouldn't add anything of real value to evans. 

Who would you have over the next 12 games ahead of him? Brown , Julio and Green is about it. Ever player has risk from injury to personal risk. Anyone can get arrested or out for 4 weeks or the season. I want the most talented players in good situation who have a track record of producing. His production upside is far worth the risk of his mouth which to me is being so overblown it embarrassing for those getting upset at a player for running his mouth. That being said, I do not own him and am trying like heck.

Do you know what happens in fumble piles or the #### being said at the line of scrimmage? OLine shoves each other after every play.

So, this is something to be made about nothing since it was never a problem until the Panthers game.
It is embarrassing that people get a kick out of seeing people fall so much they try to believe it to happen.

Who would you have over the next 12 games ahead of him? Brown , Julio and Green is about it. Ever player has risk from injury to personal risk. Anyone can get arrested or out for 4 weeks or the season. I want the most talented players in good situation who have a track record of producing. His production upside is far worth the risk of his mouth which to me is being so overblown it embarrassing for those getting upset at a player for running his mouth.

Do you know what happens in fumble piles or the #### being said at the line of scrimmage? OLine shoves each other after every play.

So, this is something to be made about nothing since it was never a problem until the Panthers game.
It is embarrassing that people get a kick out of seeing people fall so much they try to believe it to happen.
Not many here are excited for him to fail.  Most of us enjoy watching talented players play the game.   

OBJ is like a lot of prima donnas.  Two of the most exciting players to watch on the field last year (and should be again this year) are cam and Odell.  But when things get tough for them, they whine too much.  Doesn't make anyone a hater to recognize that aspect. 

Who would you have over the next 12 games ahead of him? Brown , Julio and Green is about it. Ever player has risk from injury to personal risk. Anyone can get arrested or out for 4 weeks or the season. I want the most talented players in good situation who have a track record of producing. His production upside is far worth the risk of his mouth which to me is being so overblown it embarrassing for those getting upset at a player for running his mouth. That being said, I do not own him and am trying like heck.

Might want to turn it down. 

There's nothing wrong with a discussion on something that seems to be a trend. I think of the great  Major League "winning streak" quote when I think about this, but he lost his cool once, alright fine we all saw the replays. It happens on the sidelines again. Alright what's going on with this guy, but it was several months in between who cares. Now it happens again a week later. Should we continue to ignore a trend of poor behavior? If so, at what point does whining and tantrums on the sidelines and after the whistle grab your attention? 

No one wants to see OBJ fail. I certainly don't. I have concerns about my WR1. I'm trying to pose a discussion here by presenting one scenario. There are many others. What's wrong with discussing a scenario? I see this no different than people starting "Rank Top 5 WRs ROS" after 3 weeks. Get a grip

Not many here are excited for him to fail.  Most of us enjoy watching talented players play the game.   

OBJ is like a lot of prima donnas.  Two of the most exciting players to watch on the field last year (and should be again this year) are cam and Odell.  But when things get tough for them, they whine too much.  Doesn't make anyone a hater to recognize that aspect. 
:goodposting:

too bad there's not a "great posting" emoji... 

Ya know some folks gonna wanna talk smack for me trying to convey my thoughts on these two guys.. 

I think OBJ is a special talent, and needs maybe a franchise QB for his greatest success.  I dont believe Eli is all that special, but he is a franchise QB.   Hopefully soon Eli starts conveying to the Coach, the need to implement more plays in OBJ's direction  (scripted/designed to get him the ball)

However I believe Evans could be an actual legend..  Catch radius, and all that noise means very little if the QB believes your covered.  The QB needs to trust that his guy is gonna go for the ball.  Evans will need to learn how to position himself, with a my-ball mentality, so Only he has a chance to snag it.   It might happen, but imho it should only be those guys who strive to own the very best.. 

I think id most enjoy hearing soulfly's take on these two guys..  I mean, a smart man could probably buy and sell for profit, with OBJ for two Seasons, before seeing real signs to hold onto Evans. (Tampa Bay currently has some issues too.)

How many targets does everyone think OBJ should be getting.  I see a trend on here that he needs to get the ball more.  I looked at what he's done so far and he's had targets of 8, 11, 11 and 9 in his first four games.

Right now he's projected to have 156 targets with 88 catches for 1,212 yards.  The lack of TDs seems to be the only major issue.

According to the Giants, if Odell continues the same behavior he will get benched.  Seems like an empty threat but something to keep in mind.

So I have a question I consider legitimate that I'd like to propose to those who claim that OBJ is right on pace to what he was last year (minus TDs), when he finished the season as a top WR:

Do you think there is a chance OBJ turns into today's version of Chad Johnson. Chad Johnson would finish in the top 10-15 WRs yearly it seemed in fantasy with total points, but if you owned him ever you know that he would go 3/30 for 13 weeks but then 3 random weeks he'd score 11/230/3, inflating his stats. 

The last 2 years this was not the case for OBJ, but Chad Johnson wasn't always that kind of a WR either. In 2005 Chad Johnson had a similar year to what OBJ had last year, but in 2006 and 2007 he had a year similar to what I describe. After that the ship was going down and he continued to be streaky at best.

So at the end of the year, yeah his stats look great but how many weeks did he actually help versus hurt you in your lineup? Could be something to watch for. Some people like that kind of risk/reward. I prefer consistency myself. 

I think these diva WRs have a tendency to self destruct (see: TO, Moss, Keyshawn, Chad Johnson). Hopefully OBJ just shuts everyone up this week and continues to do well weekly. Just posing a question for the sake of discussion
By "self destruct" do you mean have HOF careers like Moss and TO?

Report just came across the wire, Giants to bench ONJ of behavior continues http://www.thescore.com/news/1120509
Maybe I'm not so crazy to suggest we should be worried about his beavior.

But wait, suspension or bench... we still get points when he's on the bench right?  :rolleyes:

These guys with rose colored glasses are right, nothing to see here... the team is behind their guy 100%

This is all just a ploy to motivate OBJ

This might be a time to sit back,  wait,  and attempt your buy low if he sinks any lower.   This looks like an exaggerated or even false media narrative that will play out,  but one that we might be able to take advantage of.  What is his value next week if he doesn't kill it against GB or gets benched or suspended? 

It's cost him a few penalties here and there but every team has them. 
Not every team is threatening to bench/suspend their guys that do this are they? 

People worried about an upset player saying things because he is mad? 
Apparently his employer is

He was the same guy last year
I missed the time when the Giants benched him on their own for bad behavior last year

You guys are both right, I'm crazy to think there is any concern to be had here

I missed the time this year where he was benched. This type of stuff gets coaches fired, benching your best player and not supporting him always keeps coaches employed for a long time. Brew, relax. You are getting too excited about things that have not happened.

I missed the time this year where he was benched. This type of stuff gets coaches fired, benching your best player and not supporting him always keeps coaches employed for a long time. Brew, relax. You are getting too excited about things that have not happened.
Perhaps you missed the quote from the owner.  Doesn't seem like he's worried either.   It's only an issue because the media makes it an issue.  Always looking for something to be upset about.  Next week it'll be a different NFL issue to talk about.  Probably something Cam Newton does or doesn't do on MNF.

The New York Giants president, CEO and co-owner, appearing at the conference on Thursday, discussed the receiver's latest outbursts on the sidelines.

"He's a young man who is very emotional but he's basically a very good young man who does a lot of good things off the field. But he plays the game with a lot of passion and sometimes he goes a little too far," Mara told The Associated Press.

"But that's true with a lot of players," Mara added. "Unfortunately for him it seems like everybody's focused on him right now."

You're always going to have incidents on the field because it's an emotional game and people play with a lot of passion, and I think we have an obligation to try to minimize that as much as possible and try to talk to people to get them to understand that there's a certain way which you should act on the field," said the 61-year-old Mara, whose grandfather, Tim, founded the Giants in 1925.

Read more here: http://www.heraldonline.com/news/business/article106404107.html#storylink=cpy

Read more here: http://www.heraldonline.com/news/business/article106404107.html#storylink=cpy

Interesting from Mara. Who should I believe about how a team will handle its player, the owner and executive of the team or a SB Nation reporter who claims unnamed coaches and bitter bias fantasy owners? The owner does not believe they are meltdowns just like most understanding people without bias do. I should hate this guy as a Jets fan, but I dont, he is getting screwed by the media.

Unfortunately the guy who owns him in my league does not think like Brew and is not parting with him for anything. With Shields out and the squeaky wheel getting the grease, this is going to be a glorious stat line for his owners. Unless Beckham forgot how to play and can stop getting extra flags from terrible officials who cant tell who recovers a fumble.

Interesting from Mara. Who should I believe about how a team will handle its player, the owner and executive of the team or a SB Nation reporter who claims unnamed coaches and bitter bias fantasy owners? The owner does not believe they are meltdowns just like most understanding people without bias do. I should hate this guy as a Jets fan, but I dont, he is getting screwed by the media.
:thumbup:

All I'm saying is you guys shrug me off like how dare anyone suggest this is something to discuss. Maybe it's media driven, but why can't we talk about it if they are?

If anything, this proves my point. He's being talked about and everyone's focusing on him. So of course the NFL is going to look for the Giants to take care of this themselves rather than let this escalate to a repeat of last year. OBJ is under greater scrutiny than any other WR right now in regard to behavior, so his fantasy owners shouldn't be even a little bit concerned that he continues to behave this way? Again, if anything, the scrutiny he is under is call for more concern. 

Interesting, I missed the part where he completely refuted the statements from SB Nation.
If anything, he's clear as mud. I guess you will read what you want to read. To me, that looks like he said, yeah everyone's focusing on him right now and there's a way to behave and a way not to and we're going to do what we need to to make sure guys know they can't behave in a certain way. 
That doesn't sound like a guy standing behind his employee 100%. His points I agree with; he is under everyone's microscope. More the reason for the Giants to deal with it, unfortunately. In a normal situation they wouldn't have to

Unfortunately the guy who owns him in my league does not think like Brew and is not parting with him for anything.
I haven't traded him either. If you cared to read, I have said many times previously I wouldn't trade him for anything other than probably Antonio Brown. To sell him for anything less than top 5 talent is terrible because his potential is so great- he's done it two years in a row there's little reason to think from a talent perspective he won't finish well again. He's his own enemy tbh

Both. His immaturity with talent.
I was being facetious

I agree. He is TO. He grew up watching TO and all of the other diva WRs (Moss, Keyshawn, Chad Johnson). I think it was hit on the head earlier- too much too early for this guy. He reached franchise status way too fast and he is very young, doesn't know how to handle it. The guy is obviously a competitor, otherwise he wouldn't be so frustrated with excellent coverage and lack of looks. 

Agree with you.  I would like to add that he isn't used to his current situation.  The last 2 years he was "the guy" in NY. With Cruz and Shephard here now taking some of the focus off of ODB, I think he resents it in some weird phychotic way.

Users who are viewing this thread