What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., BAL (8 Viewers)

I feel like he's the guy that is going to blow up when he's got a chance to win.  Could be a monster year.  

That's mitigated, in my eyes, by his frequent missed games.  Maybe this is the year he's fully healthy and goes nuts.

There are so many mouths to feed in CLE now, I don't think he gets the amount of targets he got in NY.  He's still a WR1, but I don't think he's going to put up the amount of points he did with the NYG, particularly in PPR leagues.  That said, I can see him getting more yards per reception since things will be more open for him in CLE with so many other talented players to draw attention.  IMO it was a big mistake for Gettleman to trade him away.  Barkley is now the only playmaker in NY.  That offense is going to be ugly.

There are so many mouths to feed in CLE now, I don't think he gets the amount of targets he got in NY.  He's still a WR1, but I don't think he's going to put up the amount of points he did with the NYG, particularly in PPR leagues.  That said, I can see him getting more yards per reception since things will be more open for him in CLE with so many other talented players to draw attention.  IMO it was a big mistake for Gettleman to trade him away.  Barkley is now the only playmaker in NY.  That offense is going to be ugly.
I think he will make up for it with more big games than what we he was able to produce in NYG. Would not be surprised if he flirted with a 300 yard game this season.

I think he will make up for it with more big games than what we he was able to produce in NYG. Would not be surprised if he flirted with a 300 yard game this season.
So a Chad Johnson like season with 8 games 4/45 and 5 games 11/250/3...

Good luck

ETA: FTR Cleveland WRs have the worst/hardest SOS weeks 14-16 per FBG

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr. Dan said:
So a Chad Johnson like season with 8 games 4/45 and 5 games 11/250/3...

Good luck

ETA: FTR Cleveland WRs have the worst/hardest SOS weeks 14-16 per FBG
Talk to me again in Week 8 or 10 and tell me what their SOS looks like.  The idea that you can accurately predict defensive performance based on the previous year's finish has been blown out of the water repeatedly.

Talk to me again in Week 8 or 10 and tell me what their SOS looks like.  The idea that you can accurately predict defensive performance based on the previous year's finish has been blown out of the water repeatedly.
Clayton Gray is the one who should talk to you, not me. 

Who is more fool, the fool or the fool who follows the fool?
All I did was repeat what he said. I missed the part where I said he's right. just delivering information and people can do whatever they want with it

I think it does raise a good question: 

Do people think CIN, AZ, BAL scream high scoring affairs?

All I did was repeat what he said. I missed the part where I said he's right. just delivering information and people can do whatever they want with it

I think it does raise a good question: 

Do people think CIN, AZ, BAL scream high scoring affairs?
Cincy and Arizona I imagine will give up a lot of yards and points. Bmore no.

Cincy and Arizona I imagine will give up a lot of yards and points. Bmore no.
What I'm asking is do you think the opposing offenses will cause the Browns to have to keep up with them and score a lot of points? 

Sure, the Browns could pile it on and win 42-6, but I'm more interested in the 42-38 game where both teams are forced to throw the ball a lot, and hopefully to my wrs. 

So SOS grades arent just how good an opposing teams DBs or Defense is, it's the offense and how many fantasy points thelat team gave up to wrs last year, and using that information to make an educated decision on if you think either that teams defense got better or offense got better causing your wrs offense to have to throw a lot more. 

42-6 does you no good when Chubb has 200/3 because all they did was run the ball not having a need to pass

What I'm asking is do you think the opposing offenses will cause the Browns to have to keep up with them and score a lot of points? 

Sure, the Browns could pile it on and win 42-6, but I'm more interested in the 42-38 game where both teams are forced to throw the ball a lot, and hopefully to my wrs. 

So SOS grades arent just how good an opposing teams DBs or Defense is, ita how many fantasy points they gave up to wrs last year, and using that information to make an educated decision on if you think either that teams defense got better or offense got better causing your wrs offense to have to throw a lot more. 

42-6 does you no good when Chubb has 200/3 because all they did was run the ball not having a need to pass
Yeah I dunno man I think you’re really limiting yourself if your criteria for wrs is limited to wrs who play on teams with good passing offenses but with a defense that isn’t good enough to keep the opposition in a low scoring game all while playing teams with good offenses but not good passing defenses weeks 14-16. 42-38 is rare. 42-6 is rare. Guessing the score/game flow in June of games in December is kind of wild. If I had to do it I’d guess a 23-20 kind of game vs Bmore, a 30-16 kind of game vs Cincy and a 38-17 kind of game vs Arizona. All of which means very little as we won’t know the injuries, weather, etc.

I don’t think that looking ahead to playoff schedules is completely worthless in some contexts. But being afraid of a blowout holding down my wrs passing game seems a little over the top to me. I do think that Arizona and Cincy will be in some high scoring games because they both should have weak defenses and Arizona’s coach seems to want to run a ton of plays per game and Cincy has the offensive skill players to score some points.

Yeah I dunno man I think you’re really limiting yourself if your criteria for wrs is limited to wrs who play on teams with good passing offenses but with a defense that isn’t good enough to keep the opposition in a low scoring game all while playing teams with good offenses but not good passing defenses weeks 14-16. 42-38 is rare. 42-6 is rare. Guessing the score/game flow in June of games in December is kind of wild. If I had to do it I’d guess a 23-20 kind of game vs Bmore, a 30-16 kind of game vs Cincy and a 38-17 kind of game vs Arizona. All of which means very little as we won’t know the injuries, weather, etc.

I don’t think that looking ahead to playoff schedules is completely worthless in some contexts. But being afraid of a blowout holding down my wrs passing game seems a little over the top to me. I do think that Arizona and Cincy will be in some high scoring games because they both should have weak defenses and Arizona’s coach seems to want to run a ton of plays per game and Cincy has the offensive skill players to score some points.
It shouldnt shift anyone away from beckham by itself. it's just one thing, and as tangfoot noted, the teams could be totally different come week 14 

Why does this narrative exist?  The other mouths to feed in NYG are at least as good as in Cleveland if not better.

Chubb+Duke combined is basically just a crappier version of Barkley that demands fewer targets (Saquon had a whopping 121 last year).  Landry will be lucky to see Shepard's 107 targets from last year, and Njoku's upside is that he may get the kind of target share that Evan Engram does.

Shepard/Engram/Barkley got 292 targets last year versus 328 for Chubb/Duke/Landry/Njoku and that was with Engram missing 5 games and with OBJ on the Giants.  Those targets are obviously going to go way up for the NYG crew and way down for the Cleveland crew.  Rushing attempts were roughly the same.

... this dude is ####### nuts.

Look, I'm a Giants fan and among Giants fans I probably explained away most of his quirks more than others. But "felt disrespected" and "mulled retirement"? After the money the Giants paid for him? After all the pampering and coddling they did? All the snide remarks and stuff he talked about other players when you are supposed to "keep it in house"? Get the fukkety #### outta here with that ####.

rockaction said:
Yeah, you actually wonder if it's not Terrell Owens-type of behavior at this point.  
Seems like a good comparison but I wonder if that’s the worst thing though.  As in, both divas who work really hard and produce consistently. 

Maybe so. I wonder if that’s the worst comparison though? Both divas who work really hard and produce consistently. 
That's an absolutely fair point, and I always merely winced over Terrell. I couldn't believe his Super Bowl. At some point, though, it seemed like he (TO) had a deleterious effect on his team.   

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
That's an absolutely fair point, and I always merely winced over Terrell. I couldn't believe his Super Bowl. At some point, though, it seemed like he (TO) had a deleterious effect on his team.   
Yeah, I think it could actually matter in real life football before it matters in fantasy. I’d rather Beckham not do this stuff but to borrow your term right now it’s just wince-worthy for me. 

he's right about a lot of the stuff he talked about.

He's an established player, there is zero reason to go to "voluntary" practices if he's not getting paid for it.  The NFL is a business and if a player isn't performing the owners will throw them out like trash.

These guys have worked their entire lives to make it where they are.  It's not a privilege to play in the NFL or any other top sport.  They earned it the same way someone in other top professions did.

A lot of fans are stupid how they look at top athletes.  It's extremely hard to make it in the NFL, MLB, NBA, etc.  It takes a lot more than raw athletic ability to make it.  They bust their ### and deserve to get paid and not work for free.

he's right about a lot of the stuff he talked about.

He's an established player, there is zero reason to go to "voluntary" practices if he's not getting paid for it.  The NFL is a business and if a player isn't performing the owners will throw them out like trash.

These guys have worked their entire lives to make it where they are.  It's not a privilege to play in the NFL or any other top sport.  They earned it the same way someone in other top professions did.

A lot of fans are stupid how they look at top athletes.  It's extremely hard to make it in the NFL, MLB, NBA, etc.  It takes a lot more than raw athletic ability to make it.  They bust their ### and deserve to get paid and not work for free.
when our the highest paid player on the team... you should show and demonstrate some leadership

when our the highest paid player on the team... you should show and demonstrate some leadership
Ehhhhh.  You could argue that he should show up and help in other ways besides physically participating (mental prep, mentoring young players, etc).  But, when a risk of freak injury can happen and wipe out tens of millions, I gotta side with players.  It's not like the owners are gonna pay a hurt player a max contract because he's a "good leader".

Dr. Dan said:
with Michael.Thomas dwarfing OBJs contract, how long until we see OBJ ask for a new one? 
OBJ has a $90 mill deal with $65 guaranteed, Michael Thomas I believe got $100 mill with $61 guaranteed. OBJ just signed last year. I would be pretty shocked if he wanted a new contract right now-especially given he still has a higher guaranteed number. 

OBJ has a $90 mill deal with $65 guaranteed, Michael Thomas I believe got $100 mill with $61 guaranteed. OBJ just signed last year. I would be pretty shocked if he wanted a new contract right now-especially given he still has a higher guaranteed number. 
I wouldnt put it past him

Dr. Dan said:
with Michael.Thomas dwarfing OBJs contract, how long until we see OBJ ask for a new one? 
The only thing that matters in the NFL is guaranteed money, and Beckham got more.  I'm not saying that he doesn't want a better deal, but your reasoning on this one is flawed.

The only thing that matters in the NFL is guaranteed money, and Beckham got more.  I'm not saying that he doesn't want a better deal, but your reasoning on this one is flawed.
OBJ’s contract was initially reported as $95M with $65M guaranteed - that’s what @Ilov80s was referencing. But subsequently we learned it was really a $90M contract with a $5M escalator in later years, and while it potentially contains $65M in guarantees, only $41M was guaranteed at signing.

Thomas got $61M guaranteed, which was being reported as the most ever for a non-QB. We’ll have to see if those initial reports hold up when we get the details.

OBJ’s contract was initially reported as $95M with $65M guaranteed - that’s what @Ilov80s was referencing. But subsequently we learned it was really a $90M contract with a $5M escalator in later years, and while it potentially contains $65M in guarantees, only $41M was guaranteed at signing.

Thomas got $61M guaranteed, which was being reported as the most ever for a non-QB. We’ll have to see if those initial reports hold up when we get the details.
I was just using the info from sporttrac and over the cap. It does note the team could opt out at the end of this next season and he wouldn’t get the last $20 million guaranteed. But he would also be a FA able to sign even larger contract. So either he gets $61 guaranteed or he gets $41 and gets to sign a new contract at age 27 likely worth even more. 

ESPN's Dan Graziano reports Odell Beckham missed Wednesday's team portion of practice with a hip pointer.

The Browns reportedly aren't overly concerned about a long term absence, and Graziano notes Beckham participated in individual drills Wednesday. When asked after practice, head coach Freddie Kitchens told reporters Odell is dealing with "a little bit of something," but is ready to go mentally and should be back "pretty soon." Beckham certainly will miss the second week of the preseason. It wouldn't be surprising to see the star receiver held out of game action until Week 1.

SOURCE: Dan Graziano on Twitter

Aug 14, 2019, 6:43 PM ET

Odell Beckham (hip) is expected to miss Saturday's second preseason game, but coach Freddie Kitchens hinted he could play were it the regular season.

NFL.com's Dan Graziano reported that Beckham is dealing with a hip pointer, but the Cleveland Plain Dealer said it's a different hip injury. Regardless of its exact nature, it is a day-to-day issue. Beckham sounds like he should be good to go for next week's regular season dress rehearsal, but it would not be cause for alarm were the Browns to hold him out.

SOURCE: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Aug 15, 2019, 10:26 AM ET

I put out an offer to get OBJ last night, then read this this morning and pulled the offer.   I doubt its anything serious, but would like more clarification before considering trading for him.  

Users who are viewing this thread