What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., BAL (1 Viewer)

I answered it in my original comment you quoted and then just now.

Hysterical? OK Seems your hysterical because I blame the media.

I watched Mike and Mike that morning, it was sad their level of hatred for OBJ.

Almost as much as the many reasonable people here who hate him for doing what many players do and get nothing but a fine for.
You are essentially calling us sheep that follow ESPN/Media and YOU actually watch the Mike & Mike radio show.. I think you should back away from the ESPN dude.
Yes, watching or listening to sports radio, so unmanly. Its the point the media took a narrative and stuck with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't be mad at the media.

If you want to be upset with someone (besides Odell), be mad at the refs calling the game last week.

Shoulda pulled him aside and warned him after the first one, and ejected him if he didn't knock it off.

Best case, he shapes up. Worst case, he gets tossed somewhere in the middle of that game, and is back this week.

Blame his coach too. Shoulda pulled him out and sat his ### on the bench for a while to cool him down.

Almost as much as the many reasonable people here who hate him for doing what many players do and get nothing but a fine for.
You are essentially calling us sheep that follow ESPN/Media and YOU actually watch the Mike & Mike radio show.. I think you should back away from the ESPN dude.
Yes, watching or listening to sports radio, so unmanly.
Watching ESPN radio is the epitome of consuming mindless media that you are bashing everyone else for.

If you want to be upset with someone (besides Odell), be mad at the refs calling the game last week.

Shoulda pulled him aside and warned him after the first one, and ejected him if he didn't knock it off.

Best case, he shapes up. Worst case, he gets tossed somewhere in the middle of that game, and is back this week.

Blame his coach too. Shoulda pulled him out and sat his ### on the bench for a while to cool him down.
Those are blamed as well, and Odell too. But the suspension for a head hit that was done by another player this very week, I blame the media for doing what they always do, create outrage for reaction.

Yes, watching or listening to sports radio, so unmanly.
Watching ESPN radio is the epitome of consuming mindless media that you are bashing everyone else for.
I am not bashing anyone for watching or listening to the radio, I blame the media for the narrative they provided.

But anyone can read this thread and see you want to bicker with anyone just like me.

I love all the pots in here calling the kettles black.

thehornet said:
The media should be proud they deprived us of a great player because of their outrage.

The only reason he got suspended was he is the star and ESPN showed it everywhere.

The reason Wallace didnt is because is is not a star and ESPN did not care.
This is the media's fault? I'd like to hear your logic.
Yes. Why didnt Wallace get suspended? You have no argument, none what so ever.
So you can't answer the question. I figured.
Neither can you.

One was all over TV, the other wasnt was my logic.

If you read instead of instantly trying to reply to troll you would have seen that.
I don't even know what you're talking about right now. I asked how this was the media's fault and you simply cannot answer the question. Stop being hysterical.

Your responses are barely even legible because you are rushing to reply to every post. Dude just get over it and realize what you're pal did was extremely dangerous.
Then why are you not in the Wallace thread with the same outrage? Is their even a thread? No. Why?

Its that hypocrisy I mentioned earlier, thats why.

Thrash always was a crappy wr, makes sense he is a crappy appeals hearer as well. He just cost me thousands since OBJ for some odd reason cant be suspended week 17 when no one cares.....

thehornet said:
The media should be proud they deprived us of a great player because of their outrage.

The only reason he got suspended was he is the star and ESPN showed it everywhere.

Neither can you.

If you read instead of instantly trying to reply to troll you would have seen that.
I don't even know what you're talking about right now. I asked how this was the media's fault and you simply cannot answer the question. Stop being hysterical.

Your responses are barely even legible because you are rushing to reply to every post. Dude just get over it and realize what you're pal did was extremely dangerous.
Then why are you not in the Wallace thread with the same outrage? Is their even a thread? No. Why?

Its that hypocrisy I mentioned earlier, thats why.
Dude I'm done here. This is idiotic. You're way to invested in this.

Dont go and have a mental breakdown like Odell did, its embarrassing.
So is this type of trolling.
Im not trolling you, I just got on the board and skimmed through this topic and you made the same post about 50 times. Im only pointing out maybe you should step away from the computer, phone or whatever your using and cool off a bit.
Maybe you shouldnt step into a thread and troll. Maybe you should step back a bit, cool off.

I have been here for days discussing this. Now that it is settled with knows now it can be discussed in totality, sorry that a deep discussion about football is too much.

Im not trolling you, I just got on the board and skimmed through this topic and you made the same post about 50 times. Im only pointing out maybe you should step away from the computer, phone or whatever your using and cool off a bit.
Maybe you shouldnt step into a thread and troll. Maybe you should step back a bit, cool off.

I have been here for days discussing this. Now that it is settled with knows now it can be discussed in totality, sorry that a deep discussion about football is too much.
I dont see whats so deep about a guy getting suspended for spearing someone in the head. Is there some deeper psychological message Im missing by you repeating yourself over and over?

I dont see whats so deep about a guy getting suspended for spearing someone in the head. Is there some deeper psychological message Im missing by you repeating yourself over and over?
Its not deep, its called football discussion on a football site about a player in a thread devoted to that player. The reason you see the same answer, maybe, is because people are asking the same questions?

You can't act like he did on the field, it puts people in danger. Hopefully he and others will learn from this. Sucks for ffb owners in the championship game. Time to move on.

Those are blamed as well, and Odell too. But the suspension for a head hit that was done by another player this very week, I blame the media for doing what they always do, create outrage for reaction.
So your belief is it was just that one play and not the cumulative?Guys scrub the pile all the time and get flagged for it.

Just because you believe it's the same doesn't make it true

So your belief is it was just that one play and not the cumulative?Guys scrub the pile all the time and get flagged for it.

Just because you believe it's the same doesn't make it true
Glad you asked, allow me to explain. Not trying to convice you, just trying to get you to understand my point.

My belief in is the hypocrisy in the NFL is a big issue.

The Refs did not do their job and set the tone. Made OBJ feel as if it was street justice. Norman was seen body slamming him and had 2 personal fouls too while OBJ only had one more. The helmet to helmet hit would bother me more if it was not the norm and if a similar play happened with someone else and he was not suspended. His intent was malicious after it came after a shady hit on someone and was late on the pile.

The media decided to run with it in my eyes because it was a story and as we have seen the media has a lot of egos in it, everyone wants to have their opinion matter.

Coughlin did not do his job as a coach, he failed. He did not control his player.

OBJ needs to know that the league is unpredictable and taking justice in his own hands was not a good idea. I am OK with it, but its not a good idea. I am a former hockey player, my references refer to that because I have been in these situations and seen much worse. When a player does something wrong, the enforcer will provide justice. Thats what Odell did.

Now to why he shouldnt be suspended and only fined, because this is no different than many many plays that happen in the nfl in any given week. Andre Johnson beat the crap out of finnegan with his fists and only got a fine. Was that not as bad because he didnt go helmet to helmet, is a fist to a face much better.

This all boils down to every other aspect of social interaction, if you are liked or not. The majority of those who like Odell will support him, those who do not like him will not. Nothing different than anything else.

Dude, just stop. His suspension has to do with his actions, not the media.

Because it was different.

Good post

What was different about it? Did he hit him with the soft part of his helmet? He actually injured someone with his hit, so yes you are right, it was different.

Neither can you.

hatred :lmao:

A lot of angry ODBjr owners right now. The best thing you can do now is concentrate your efforts on how to replace him in week 16 (if you're lucky enough to still be playing) the best you can instead of fighting ignorant battles in this forum. Arguing here won't make you feel any better about losing a stud for the title game. Adapt and overcome the best you can and who knows, you might still win your title game. Just think how good it will feel winning without ODBjr.
Yeah, I'm upset. With Beckham and Norman.

In a 32 team league and no waivers during the playoffs (not that there's anyone worth picking up), losing my 2nd scoring player - who is 2nd only to his QB, who I also have and is now obviously weaker for his being out, sucks big time. I'm going to lose because OBJ decided to be a jackass and assault a player who was "picking on him".

What was different about it? Did he hit him with the soft part of his helmet? He actually injured someone with his hit, so yes you are right, it was different.
You seem to be having problems understanding things and what all had happened in that game.

OBJ deserved the suspension.

And i wish it wouldnt be as an Eli owner now sceambling for another option.

He said sorry. I forgive him. Or whoever wrote that statement for him. Hope to see him whippin' and nay-naying week 17 when the game doesn't count.

"They used ta call me crazy Joe...now they call me Batman!" - M.Freeman

Full OBJ statement...

STATEMENT FROM ODELL BECKHAM JR.

I owe some people an apology. I wasn’t raised to act like I did the other day. I am not here to make excuses for my conduct. This isn’t about anything that was said or done to me. This is about my behavior, and I am responsible for my behavior. People expect better from me, and I expect better from myself.

First of all, I apologize to the organization I represent, the Giants, and our ownership, John Mara and his family and Steve Tisch and his family. And Jerry Reese, who drafted me and gave me the opportunity to be a part of this organization.

I want to apologize to Giants fans. They want to be proud of us, and proud of players like me who represent their team. What happened the other day was embarrassing to them and embarrassing to me.

A lot of kids look up to me as a role model. That is a responsibility I accept and take seriously. Many of the parents of those kids have asked since Sunday what they should say to their children about my conduct. I don’t have the perfect answer, but I think one thing they can say is how I handled myself the other day is an example of how not to conduct yourself. I displayed poor sportsmanship. And those parents can also say that when you act like that, there are consequences. And I hope to be an example of somebody who did something wrong and learned from it.

I owe Coach Coughlin, our coaches and my teammates an apology. They have had to answer for my actions, and that’s not fair to them. How I conduct myself is my responsibility. I let my coaches and teammates down.

I am blessed and privileged to play the game I love, and I will do all I can to carry myself in a way that honors the game, the NFL, my team, my coaches, all my fans and my family moving forward.
http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Statement-from-Odell-Beckham-Jr-/c1ce6b60-5c85-4813-a1ec-6f786e0ed522

Time to move on
Its the right thing to say. Does he have the internal control to back it up when the game is played?

Full OBJ statement...

STATEMENT FROM ODELL BECKHAM JR.

I owe some people an apology. I wasn’t raised to act like I did the other day. I am not here to make excuses for my conduct. This isn’t about anything that was said or done to me. This is about my behavior, and I am responsible for my behavior. People expect better from me, and I expect better from myself.First of all, I apologize to the organization I represent, the Giants, and our ownership, John Mara and his family and Steve Tisch and his family. And Jerry Reese, who drafted me and gave me the opportunity to be a part of this organization. I want to apologize to Giants fans. They want to be proud of us, and proud of players like me who represent their team. What happened the other day was embarrassing to them and embarrassing to me. A lot of kids look up to me as a role model. That is a responsibility I accept and take seriously. Many of the parents of those kids have asked since Sunday what they should say to their children about my conduct. I don’t have the perfect answer, but I think one thing they can say is how I handled myself the other day is an example of how not to conduct yourself. I displayed poor sportsmanship. And those parents can also say that when you act like that, there are consequences. And I hope to be an example of somebody who did something wrong and learned from it.I owe Coach Coughlin, our coaches and my teammates an apology. They have had to answer for my actions, and that’s not fair to them. How I conduct myself is my responsibility. I let my coaches and teammates down. I am blessed and privileged to play the game I love, and I will do all I can to carry myself in a way that honors the game, the NFL, my team, my coaches, all my fans and my family moving forward.
http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Statement-from-Odell-Beckham-Jr-/c1ce6b60-5c85-4813-a1ec-6f786e0ed522Time to move on
Doesn't get any better than that. Just gotta hope it's genuine and he's able to control himself in the future. Time will tell.

No apology to Norman stands out to me.
The way Norman was treating him I don't think one is in order.
Purposely inflicting a helmet to helmet hit does call for one.
Not when he was being punched in the face and neck (and other stuff) all day long, no it doesn't.
So it is or isn't about his behavior? By excluding Norman in the apology, he is, in fact, making excuses for what he did. Either the helmet to helmet was wrong, or it wasn't. If it was wrong, apologies and move on. If he doesn't think it's wrong because Norman did this or that, he's contradicting his own statement.

Not when he was being punched in the face and neck (and other stuff) all day long, no it doesn't.
LOL. Did you watch the game or just read the spin or are you an OBJ owner (like me)? I didn't expect an apology to Norman, no chance of that. That said, if you watched the game, almost every time it was Odell starting it. Heck, he went to hit Norman in the head on the helmet to helmet and Norman dodged it/shoved him by and Odell got even more ticked off and launched himself. There were some scuffles at the beginning that were on both, but those weren't much different than common scuffles in all games. Norman's teammates calmed him down, while Odell just kept getting worse, to the point where the announcers were saying he should have been ejected and was making himself look like a jackass. Odell even went after other DBs, like Finnegan who somehow got a personal foul called on him when Odell punched him as well.

That said, it would have been nice to mention the hit, i.e. an egregious act that he had a good chance to say has no business in the game. He's a pretty damn big name and he should use it. Think about those idiots that hit the ref. Maybe he'll have an impact on some kids who won't do something stupid like that.

Last thing that really ticked me off on this was the spin that his teammates did trying to bring up the menacing bat threats as if he was afraid for his life or the homophobic slurs. The last one was just ridiculous. Check out the progression.

Monday Night:

Ian O’Connor of ESPN.com reported on Monday that Giants players “heard Panthers defensive playersdirect anti-gay slurs and expletives at Beckham before the game,” which is believed to have set the confrontational tone of the game.

In an appearance with Stephen A. Smith of SiriusXM Mad Dog Radio, Hall of Fame cornerback Deion Sanders corroborated the notion that Panthers players hurled personal insults at Beckham.

“Then you start talking about his hairstyle,” Sanders said. “Then you start talking about his sexuality. So now when you’re talking about things like that of that nature, it goes way off the field into something because now this is personal.”
Earlier today:

The Panthers also continued to deny allegations that they made anti-gay comments towards Beckham, although the Giants did not seem to dispute that. Despite the story that leaked Monday, neither Brown nor Wing nor any one of the Giants the News spoke to could recall Ball - or any other Panther - making homophobic comments toward Beckham.
So Deion was in full spin mode for Odell on Monday and then the BS he put out was dispelled. At that point it became about the practice squad guy, all alone I might add, who threatened Odell while he was surrounded by his entire team. Funny that no one else seemed threatened or even cared until Odell started going crazy (there's one where his teammates come over to restrain him while the rest are still stretching). Love this quote from this link:
Wing did think Beckham was "definitely shaken" by the encounter.
Seriously? Shaken? So shaken that he went ballistic during the game hitting and going after Norman and other DBs? I guess I shouldn't expect more when you read about all the micro-aggression crap going on at colleges nowadays. Everyone is a victim and someone else is always to blame. Oh well, at least he put out an apology his PR guy or gal wrote for him.

Solid apology. I don't think he should be naming Norman. That seemed like a sincere apology for thing he's contrite about. I doubt he's sorry for going after Norman and the intent of his actions there, so to say so would cheapen the rest.

Among this site, I think I had Odell rated the highest in dynasty pre-draft.

Never saw this side of him in college. Chippy, but since being in the NFL he's been ultra enraged. Either DBs getting into his head about something not public, or he's slamming rails of blow. What else would it be? I mean, he's killing it in the field, so the rage is uncalled for

Checking in to see if dirtyjay made it through the night. He was taking this really hard yesterday. Check in with us buddy.

Never saw this side of him in college. Chippy, but since being in the NFL he's been ultra enraged. Either DBs getting into his head about something not public, or he's slamming rails of blow. What else would it be? I mean, he's killing it in the field, so the rage is uncalled for
It's prideful defensive players that don't like being shown up by his antics - it started last year with the Rams game and has carried over. If he quietly dominated like Fitz did, this wouldn't be an ongoing issue.

It's prideful defensive players that don't like being shown up by his antics - it started last year with the Rams game and has carried over. If he quietly dominated like Fitz did, this wouldn't be an ongoing issue.
I guess Billy "White Shoes" Johnson was way ahead of his time.

Football players rarely ever apologize to other players. Part of the game is to hit hard and knock the other guy down. The culture isn't sorry sir, it won't happen again.

The gems of the league can knock someone down and then help em' back up. That's good sportsmanship IMO and separating the play from the after part, but there's no apology.

I don't expect boxers or wrestlers to apologize and...there's a point where neither ODB nor Norman need to apologize to each other.

I've seen pro players say something was bush league and I shouldn't do that...that's fine.

I think what he said was good and is enough.

The Panthers did have bats pregame and Norman did so some extra horsepucky stuff. I stopped following this story after a bit. It'd be nice or "right" if someone from the Panthers said we were playing around with bats, sorry about that- it was to be homerun on D not intimidate, got taken wrong way etc.

But during the battle on the field- unless there's like a purposeful injury inflicted, geesh I think it's all part of the sport.

I hope ODB vs Norman becomes like Andre and Finnegan. I couldn't care less when they fought or shoved; showed me they were fired up and trying their best. Sometimes though it showed one lost their head and was about to get beat and then it bothered me.

Nothing wrong with battling

Fitz isn't normal tho. Getting fired up and spiking and dancing or hootin' and hollerin' after a game winning TD is.

I don't care if JJ Watt does a dance after a sack or if Cam does that charge ahead motion with his arm after a first. Celebrate, enjoy.

Only thing that bugs me is when it's a considerable time, brief ones are fun IMO

Right on to the excessive celebrations. Jeremy Hill is cut from the same cloth. These guys probably stay up at night thinking about what new dance they are going to do after they gain a first down. Its ridiculous. You could shoot a music video with how long OBJ and Hill celebrate after gaining a yard. Must be an LSU thing. Anyways, I wouldnt be surprised to see Norman and OBJ slapping high fives and hugging at the Pro Bowl.

Users who are viewing this thread