What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Blake Bortles - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

Weaknesses Too much effort in his delivery to generate slightly above-average arm strength. Operated in an offense where he made a lot of one-look reads. Ordinary deep-ball thrower. Works heavily out of the gun. Operates a dink-and-dunk offense which inflates his completion percentage.

I know most of the QB's this year are projects with lumps (what % of rookie QB's aren't) but that's some huge weaknesses if we're talking early 1st round.

I think much of the hype has to do with his coming on the scene recently, versus a Bridgewater or Manziel...the masses have not had an opportunity poke holes in his game, and he offers something the other two do not...size.
It's a simple matter of neither of the other QBs looking like franchise guys while the teams drafting on top need QBs.

The smart move IMO is for all of the top teams to either trade down (unlikely) or take other positions (also unlikely). The team(s) that are willing to not take a QB will show that they will improve faster IMO.
I disagree. The teams that suck that need a QB won't get any better until they get a QB. Very few teams succeed in the NFL without good to great QB play.
Sure. Now show me one in this draft that's so much better than a guy they could get in the 2nd.
I'd put Bridgewater and, to a lesser extend, Bortles as SIGNIFICANTLY better than Carr and the group with him.
I'll concede that Bridgewater should be a top 5 pick.

The others? :no:

mr roboto said:
Teams will draft a guy like this in the top 10 because missing on your QB is less costly now. Less $, throw them in year 1, give them a couple years. Also, because of the rules changes that favor the passing game, you actually elevate the average QBs into potential SB QBs (Flacco, Wilson, Big Ben, Eli). Those guys are not elite passers, but because it's easier to pass relative to 20 years ago, you can win with a slightly above average QB.

We will see more QBs in the 1st round than there used to be, and continue to see decent rookies come in and win games with great organizations. The truly elite passers (Brady, Brees, Manning, Rodgers) are an expensive luxury.
Ironically, only one of those guys was a top 20 pick.

I'll concede that Bridgewater should be a top 5 pick.

The others? :no:
I wouldn't want to pick Manziel top 5 but I could at least understand it with what he brings to the table. Bortles looks like a guy you draft in the 2nd round to develop.

Rotoworld:

NFL Films' Greg Cosell stated on the Ross Tucker Podcast that he believes UCF's Blake Bortles is the top quarterback in the 2014 draft class based on tape study.
Cosell says he's watched 12-13 draft-eligible quarterbacks intensely so far. Cosell conceded Bortles must polish his lower-body mechanics and footwork, but offers plus size (6'5/232), "good" arm strength that Cosell believes will improve once his technique is fixed, and an ability to "maintain downfield focus" under duress. "There's a lot to work with, with Bortles," Cosell stated. "I think ultimately he's a pocket passer who can execute boot action. He can extend plays, and he can run effectively if that's what you want to do. So I think that he's someone I would look to as, given time, he could be a quality NFL starter."

Source: Ross Tucker Podcast

"I don't believe any of the three is a guy you look at as a surefire top 10 pick in the draft, which means nothing in this year's draft because these are the guys who are available," Cosell told WGFX (104.5-FM) in Nashville.

Of Manziel, Cosell said he's almost undraftable based on his last two games of the regular season. Because of the variation in his game, Cosell said Manziel has consistency issues and isn't a timing thrower.

"I would say overall, he's a small quarterback with outstanding movement and improvisation," Cosell said. "At times, he showed very strong flashes of structured pocket play that clearly project to the NFL, so I think it'll come down to how you balance these issues."

Of the top three quarterbacks, Cosell prefers Blake Bortles of Central Florida. Cosell noted that Bortles is largely a pocket passer who can throw on boot action and has some anticipation.

"On Bortles, the more I watched the more I thought there were some positives," Cosell told KBME (790-AM) in Houston. "He's not a great thrower. You don't come away thinking 'Wow, he's a terrific thrower.' I would say he doesn't really drive the ball. He's got a little bit of a quirky delivery, which means that he's got a tendency to push the ball as opposed to really drive it."

Finally, on Bridgewater, Cosell he'll remind some of Russell Wilson. Like many have said, Cosell seems to think Bridgewater is good in many areas, but maybe not a star in any.

"You would say he's got the arm strength to make all the necessary throws, but he doesn't have a gun," Cosell said. "He's not an extreme talent where you go 'Wow, look at this kid throw the football.' But I think overall he's got very light feet, he sets up quickly."

Reading Cosell's comments I'm a bit confused as to why Bridgewater isn't his top QB.
he seems more of the big bodied strong arm type, always trends towards those first.
Frame and body type I get. Bridgewater has a better arm though and Cosell seems to agree. On top of that Teddy doesn't really have holes in his game. He just doesn't have many star qualities, either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading Cosell's comments I'm a bit confused as to why Bridgewater isn't his top QB.
he seems more of the big bodied strong arm type, always trends towards those first.
Frame and body type I get. Bridgewater has a better arm though and Cosell seems to agree. On top of that Teddy doesn't really have holes in his game. He just doesn't have many star qualities, either.
on the short, intermediate stuff yes, but Teddy more than twenty yards? Not so much. That's why I think Cosell favors Bortles there, clean up the footwork and the strong arm will be a weapon.

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Albert Breer tweeted the most common comparison he has heard from NFL personnel people when discussing QB Blake Bortles is Andrew Luck.
Breer does note "Bortles is not quite the athlete, and not nearly as developed" as Luck. This is not the first time the comparison has been made, since Bortles has many of the same mannerisms and strong pocket movement. The two are not close in terms of evaluations, however, and Breer listed just a few reasons why. There is still a size obsession in NFL circles, and Bortles can certainly fill that void.

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter

I like Bottles. As a Viking fan, I would have no problem if they took him or Bridgewater at 8. Manziel is the player I am most unsure about. I won't be surprised if Johnny falls ala Aaron Rodgers/Brady Quinn.

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Albert Breer tweeted the most common comparison he has heard from NFL personnel people when discussing QB Blake Bortles is Andrew Luck.

Breer does note "Bortles is not quite the athlete, and not nearly as developed" as Luck. This is not the first time the comparison has been made, since Bortles has many of the same mannerisms and strong pocket movement. The two are not close in terms of evaluations, however, and Breer listed just a few reasons why. There is still a size obsession in NFL circles, and Bortles can certainly fill that void.

Isn't Andrew Luck much faster, more accurate and with a stronger arm than Bortles? Just sayin'...

Rotoworld:

Isn't Andrew Luck much faster, more accurate and with a stronger arm than Bortles? Just sayin'...
Other than that though he's Andrew Luck.

on the short, intermediate stuff yes, but Teddy more than twenty yards? Not so much. That's why I think Cosell favors Bortles there, clean up the footwork and the strong arm will be a weapon.
It's a short passing league now - accuracy and playing smart are far more important than being about to throw deep. Obviously a guy has to be able to keep defenses honest but I don't see Bridgewater's arm being a liability in that way.

It's a short passing league now - accuracy and playing smart are far more important than being about to throw deep. Obviously a guy has to be able to keep defenses honest but I don't see Bridgewater's arm being a liability in that way.
i agree, it is why I am baffled why anyone other than Manziel is being talked about in the same sentence as Bridgewater.

Greg Cosell bottom lined Blake Bortles into one sentence.

He likes Bortles pocket pressence and specifically mentions his ability to perform roll-boot plays.

Roll-boot is classic aspect in Shanahan offenses dating back to Elway/Montana/Young up to Kirk Cousin.

Most know the Browns signed Kyle Shanahan as their new Offensive Coordinator.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000330178/article/cosell-blake-bortles-is-best-qb-in-the-2014-nfl-draft?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cb

UCF's Blake Bortles is the best quarterback prospect in this year's draft class, according to NFL Films producer Greg Cosell.

"I would say he's more of finesse thrower than a true power thrower at this point, but I think there's a lot to work with, with Bortles," Cosell said on the Ross Tucker Football Podcast. "I think ultimately he's a pocket passer who can execute boot action. He can extend plays and he can run effectively if that's what you want to do. So, I think that he's someone I would look to as, given time, he could be a quality NFL starter."

That's not to say Cosell doesn't see flaws in Bortles' game. Cosell likes Bortles' size (6-foot-5, 232 pounds), but said he sees issues with his footwork in the pocket and that he'll become a stronger thrower if he can correct those flaws.

Cosell is not as high on Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater and seems to have an even less-favorable opinion of the other quarterback that makes up the draft's three most highly rated at the position -- Johnny Manziel.

Cosell is already on the record that he was not impressed with what he saw from Manziel late last season, and he added to the critique of Manziel's game, suggesting his freelancing style won't get him far at the next level.

"I think it's very hard in the NFL to live on the edge when you don't need to live on the edge," he said. "If you live on the edge too often, you will fall off the cliff."

As for Bridgewater, Cosell said he likes him, but doesn't think he has the "physical talent" to put a team on his back. While the former Cardinals quarterback weighed in at 214 pounds at the NFL Scouting Combine, a significant increase from the weight he was believed to playing at during the 2013 season, Cosell still views size as a major weakness for Bridgewater.

"The issue with Bridgewater is he's very slight. He's not a big body," Cosell said. "He's got a good, not a great, arm. Theoretically, he could make every throw, but making every throw when you have clean pockets is different than making every throw when you don't. He doesn't really drive the ball, Bridgewater. He's a bit of a short-armer."

Cosell's comments further illustrate the conundrum facing NFL teams that will be drafting early and have a need at quarterback -- all three of the quarterbacks are intriguing talents, but they each have their flaws, too. For Cosell, Bortles seems to be the least flawed of the bunch, and the Texans, holders of the draft's No. 1 overall pick, might agree.

Greg Cosell bottom lined Blake Bortles into one sentence.

He likes Bortles pocket pressence and specifically mentions his ability to perform roll-boot plays.

Roll-boot is classic aspect in Shanahan offenses dating back to Elway/Montana/Young up to Kirk Cousin.

Most know the Browns signed Kyle Shanahan as their new Offensive Coordinator.
Ok, now it's making more sense. Schaub ran a lot of boot action so I guess the Texans are looking at Bortles as a younger version of him. I still think he's a limited QB but maybe these teams think he's got enough to get the job done.

Blake Bortles says he'll meet with Jaguars, TexansBy Mike Huguenin

College Football 24/7 writer

UCF quarterback Blake Bortles, who is in play to be the No. 1 pick in the draft, said Wednesday night on SiriusXM Sports' "Late Hits" show that he already has visits lined up with the Houston Texans and the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Houston owns the No. 1 pick, while the Jags pick third. Both would seem to be in the market for a quarterback.

Bortles earned some points from NFL front-office types with his decision to throw at last month's NFL Scouting Combine, something that top quarterbacks Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr and Johnny Manziel decided not to do. Bortles said it was an easy decision.

"I think it was hard to sit in the meeting room and tell them, 'I'm a competitor, I want to compete in every aspect, but I don't want to throw today because it's an uncomfortable situation,' " Bortles said.

He also seemingly took a veiled shot at the quarterbacks who chose not to throw: "It's a level playing field from the quarterback perspective, so I really don't understand why guys don't throw."

One reason given by quarterbacks who don't throw at the combine is that they are not used to the receivers. Former NFL general manager Charley Casserly said last month on NFL Network's "NFL AM" that that is a cop-out.

"You've got to give scouts and coaches and general managers a little credit for a little intelligence, don't you?" he said. "We know you're not throwing to your receivers. What you want to see in a quarterback is see him throw live. See the arm strength, quickness and release."

UCF's pro day is March 19, and Bortles said his goal is to "show off timing, show off tempo and speed in my drop, and put the ball on the money."

In mock drafts by four NFL Media draft analysts, Bortles goes anywhere from No. 1 (Charles Davis) to No. 20 (Bucky Brooks).

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.

Has the comparison to Josh Freeman been made? That's what I see in Bortles - the interest is primarily related to his size and "potential," but Bortles probably has a weaker arm with similar accuracy issues. Freeman was over-drafted around #1.19 the year he came out, in that weird range where he's not actually a first-round caliber player, but team need plus his alluring stature drives up his price. Plus the fact that there weren't many quality QBs that year.

This year, Bridgewater and Manziel seem like better prospects than anyone out of that 2009 class other than Stafford (knowing what we know about Sanchez now). But in general, this class just looks stronger at QB depth-wise. Take a look at these terrible QBs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NFL_Draft

Not a huge fan of Bortles #1 overall. It's just silly when Bridgewater and Clowney are out there.

Mayock: Bortles tends to stare down his receiversBy Mike Huguenin

UCF's Blake Bortles is the No. 3 quarterback in NFL Media draft analyst Mike Mayock's position rankings, and Mayock said a big issue with Bortles is his tendency to stare down receivers.

Appearing on the NFL Network's "NFL AM" on Monday, Mayock said Bortles was the top quarterback on some team's boards. But Mayock said that he was a safety when he played and that, as a safety, he would like to go against Bortles.

"I would like to play safety against Bortles because he stares everything down," Mayock said. "A lot of big-armed quarterbacks do that when they're young, and he's going to have to learn to transition from that."

Bortles' pro day is Wednesday, and in the wake of Teddy Bridgewater's rather lackluster performance at Louisville's pro day Monday, it might have taken on even more significance.

Bortles measured 6-foot-5 and 232 pounds at last month's NFL Scouting Combine, and he was the only one of the top four quarterbacks (Bridgewater, Fresno State's Derek Carr and Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel are the others) who chose to throw at the combine. He ran a slower-than-expected time in the 40 (4.93 seconds) and seems likely to run the 40 again Wednesday. But how he throws, especially given Bridgewater's pro day, is going to be interesting.

Bortles is in play to be the No. 1 pick, and his frame and style of play seem to match up the best with the type of quarterback preferred by new Houston Texans coach Bill O'Brien. In addition, O'Brien worked for eight seasons under UCF coach George O'Leary when O'Leary was the coach at Georgia Tech. Who better to provide an unvarnished scouting report for O'Brien on Bortles than one of his mentors?

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.

Nothing overly shocking but a lil FYI.

Houston beat writer John McClaine was just on Cleveland Browns Daily and he said the Texans were taking a QB and it is down to Borles or Manziel.

McClaine spent time in Johnny Football's camp when he was in San Diego training for his Pro Day and he was really impressed so don't write him off yet.

McClaine claims they have not made that final determination yet.

Doesn't sound like Bridgewater is in the picture at all.

Nothing overly shocking but a lil FYI.

Houston beat writer John McClaine was just on Cleveland Browns Daily and he said the Texans were taking a QB and it is down to Borles or Manziel.

McClaine spent time in Johnny Football's camp when he was in San Diego training for his Pro Day and he was really impressed so don't write him off yet.

McClaine claims they have not made that final determination yet.

Doesn't sound like Bridgewater is in the picture at all.
Or he's in on the smokescreen so the team can trade down.

Don't look at the numbers just watch their games. Even just their highlights and Bortles isn't even in the category as Bridgewater. I will leave Mr. Football out because opinions on him are too polarizing and he doesn't matter for this conversation. Bortles is a bad first round pick. To say he's going first overall seems like someone is playing a trick on us all. I can't even believe that these people would say that. I'd be embarrassed to say that even if someone was paying me too.

Borden said:
Don't look at the numbers just watch their games. Even just their highlights and Bortles isn't even in the category as Bridgewater. I will leave Mr. Football out because opinions on him are too polarizing and he doesn't matter for this conversation. Bortles is a bad first round pick. To say he's going first overall seems like someone is playing a trick on us all. I can't even believe that these people would say that. I'd be embarrassed to say that even if someone was paying me too.
Not sure that there is a franchise type QB in this years draft.

Even if Bridgewater isn't a franchise QB, he's better then Bortles. And if there is zero franchise QBs then there is zero reason for Bortles to be projected so high. His hype is such BS and it's driving me crazy. Nobody that has watched any of his games can honestly tell me he's a first overall. It's crazy. Sorry, I just needed to vent. It's like someone claiming to be a math expert telling you 2+1 isn't 3.

Even if Bridgewater isn't a franchise QB, he's better then Bortles. And if there is zero franchise QBs then there is zero reason for Bortles to be projected so high. His hype is such BS and it's driving me crazy. Nobody that has watched any of his games can honestly tell me he's a first overall. It's crazy. Sorry, I just needed to vent. It's like someone claiming to be a math expert telling you 2+1 isn't 3.
Glad to see I'm not alone.

Blake Bortles met with 4 teams a day before his pro day workout

By Mike Huguenin

UCF quarterback Blake Bortles' pro day workout begins at around 1 p.m. EDT on Wednesday, and a report says Bortles stayed busy prior to his drill work, too.

The Houston Texans, Jacksonville Jaguars, Oakland Raiders and Minnesota Vikings "met extensively" with Bortles prior to the UCF pro day, Tony Pauline reported on Twitter.

Each of those four teams owns a top-eight pick in May's draft: Houston at No. 1, Jacksonville at No. 3, Oakland at No. 5 and Minnesota at No. 8. And each also needs a quarterback. Cleveland, which picks fourth, also could use a quarterback.

Bortles (6-foot-5, 232 pounds) was the only one of the top four quarterbacks (Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater, Fresno State's Derek Carr and Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel are the others) who threw at last month's NFL Scouting Combine, and he is the second of the top quartet to have his pro day. Bridgewater was underwhelming at his pro day Monday, making Bortles' workout all the more important.

Bortles best fits the mold of the prototypical dropback passer, and he also is athletic and has good mobility. He has some flaws, to be sure, but he also has an intriguing upside.

Bortles skyrocketed up draft boards during the 2013 season, his second as the full-time starter. He threw for 3,581 yards, 25 touchdowns and nine interceptions and completed 67.8 percent of his passes. He was named first-team All-AAC by league coaches over Bridgewater.

Two other notable quarterbacks have their pro days Wednesday: San Jose State's David Fales and Virginia Tech's Logan Thomas. Fales is a much steadier prospect, but Thomas' athleticism and strong arm likely will lead to some team taking a mid-round flier on him.

The Bortles Conundrum

Greg A. Bedard

With the right coaching, Blake Bortles is a year away from being the best quarterback in the 2014 NFL draft. And that’s the problem. Which team will take the chance? Here’s an in-depth look at Central Florida’s fabulous and flawed QBIf you could take the best quarterback in the 2015 draft this May, knowing that you probably wouldn’t get much from him in ’14—and even then he’s still not a sure thing—where would you draft him?

Would you still take him first overall in this talent-laden draft? How about the middle of the first round? Or would you not consider him until the second round?

That, essentially, is the conundrum with Central Florida quarterback Blake Bortles.

After watching six of his games on coaches film (against Penn State, South Carolina, Memphis, Louisville, Houston and Baylor), two things seem fairly certain about Bortles: 1) He possesses all of the traits teams look for in a franchise quarterback, and 2) he has the highest ceiling of any QB in this draft.

But he’s just not ready yet.

In a perfect world, Bortles would have stayed in school one more season, fixed the potentially ruinous weaknesses in his game, been the top pick in the 2015 draft and immediately started on the first day for his new franchise.

But Bortles declared for the draft and is available now. That means teams will have a harder time trying to project his future than they would a year from now. That brings more questions into the process: where should we take him, and how long will it take him to fully develop?

The positivesDespite the rise in smaller and more mobile quarterbacks, the NFL is still ruled by quarterbacks who execute from the pocket. And if you were to create a quarterback from scratch, Bortles would check every box. It’s why he’s near the top of this year’s draft class.

Bortles, 22, is 6-foot-5 and a very solid 232 pounds, with long arms and decent hand size (11th among quarterbacks at the combine). He is built to withstand the beating that a quarterback can take in the pocket. And despite his 4.93 seconds in the 40-yard dash, Bortles is a good athlete at the position and will be productive with his legs, just as he was in college. While the Knights run a multiple offense, they were primarily a read-option team and Bortles was very much a part of that structure. He made plays with his feet and wasn’t afraid to take a hit. He was also asked to make many throws on the move.

On film, he looks to have above average arm strength and can make all the throws required by an NFL offense. Bortles possessed a good grasp of his offense and his opponents’ defensive schemes, and he had the ability to make checks and some audibles at the line of scrimmage.

He also does a great job of keeping his eyes downfield while bodies are flying around him, and he’s not afraid to step up in the pocket and make throws into tight windows.

• This outstanding throw against Penn State shows the promise of Bortles (even his ability to have great touch on deep passes), and it looked even better on the coaches’ film from the end-zone angle.
  • This throw, on the game-winning drive against Louisville, shows Bortles’ ability to stand strong in the pocket, anticipate and load up on a throw when needed.
(Both linked videos come from DraftBreakdown.com, which does great work on NFL prospects.)

When it comes to projecting great quarterbacks, what you can’t see is often more important than physical skills. Bortles also measures up in this regard. According to a source on the Knights’ coaching staff, Bortles has “off the charts” intangibles. He’s a great leader, extremely bright and a tireless worker who lives and breathes football. Bortles also seems to have a short memory, meaning mistakes don’t linger. Those are all must-haves when considering a quarterback prospect.

The negativesIf Bortles played in the NFL right now, he would be a turnover machine and would probably flame out because his mechanics, mostly in the lower body, are extremely flawed.

While Bortles has problems with an inconsistent delivery—it can range from short and compact to long and wild—the biggest problem is his feet. Bortles is constantly stepping into a bucket, or stepping away from the throw instead of toward the receiver. Not only does that lead to accuracy issues, the ball also loses energy very quickly and underthrows are common on deep passes.

Bortles has sloppy footwork even in a clean pocket. More troublesome is that when he feels pressure, Bortles will stare down receivers, his footwork breaks down even more and the likelihood of a turnover increases greatly. In this way, he is similar to another unfinished NFL pocket passer: the 49ers’ Colin Kaepernick. But Bortles doesn’t have Kaepernick’s wheels to help in the playmaking department.

Here are two examples of Bortles’ subpar mechanics against Penn State.

• With this throw, Bortles had a mostly clean pocket in the red zone and a window to fit the touchdown in. But instead of stepping into the throw and snapping it to the receiver, he opened his feet and was nearly intercepted.
  • Bortles was not as lucky on this throw to the sideline, which was intercepted.
These are just a few examples, but you can find dozens in each of Bortles’ games. If you really want a horror show, watch the game against Memphis (17 of 36 for 160 yards). You’d think Bortles was undraftable. (The South Florida game, I’ve been told, is similar.)

Bortles could get away with these fundamental and troubling breakdowns most of the time in college because of the level of competition. The NFL isn’t nearly as forgiving. In two games against the best athletes he faced in college (Ohio State in ’12 and South Carolina ’13), Bortles completed just 63.6% of his passes and threw five of the 16 interceptions (31%) he had over those two seasons. If Bortles doesn’t clean up his footwork before hitting an NFL field, he will be in trouble.

Bortles’ mechanical problems are correctable and could be managed if given time and reps with coaches known for developing quarterbacks.

Another factor that gets lost when discussing Bortles is that, contrary to popular belief, he did not put the UCF program on his back and lift it up to national prominence all by himself. He is not Jay Cutler at Vanderbilt nor is he Brett Favre at Southern Mississippi. UCF won football games on the back of a stingy defense that ranked 17th nationally, allowing 21.3 points per game, and a running game that was powered by Storm Johnson (1,139 yards and 14 touchdowns), who could make an immediate impact as a three-down back in the NFL this fall depending on where he lands.

Bortles was not the featured player in the Knights’ offense. The scheme ran first through Johnson and fellow running back William Stanback, and then a quartet of talented playmaking receivers: Rannell Hall, Breshad Perriman, J.J. Worton and Jeff Godfrey. The Knights’ offense was built around the running game, and getting the ball into the hands of the playmakers in a dink-and-dunk passing game featuring plenty of screens. Bortles did a very good job managing all the weapons and making clutch plays when needed, but UCF was far from the “Blake Bortles Show” that most franchise quarterbacks headline in college.

The bottom lineBortles’ mechanical problems, both with his delivery and footwork, are alarming because they seem to consistently break down when he’s under the most pressure. And most quarterbacks, no matter how well they are taught, revert back to their worst habits in the most stressful times.

However, they are correctable and could be managed if given time and reps with coaches known for developing quarterbacks. Bortles just needs to be drilled to square his shoulders, stride toward the target and drive the ball. If you want to watch the best, pop in a tape of Tom Brady, who is one of the most fundamentally sound passers in NFL history. One of Brady’s former coaches, new Texans coach Bill O’Brien, has a reputation for developing passers who have terrific mechanics. Houston, by the way, happens to be in need a franchise quarterback. Bortles possesses everything O’Brien looks for at the position; Bortles just needs some work.

With the new collective bargaining agreement locking first-round picks into four-year contracts, with a fifth year at the club’s option, Bortles undoubtedly will go in the first round because a team will want that type of control, especially over a player who probably needs a season on the sideline.

So if you’re O’Brien and the Texans, would you take a talent like Bortles first overall and bet on yourself that you can unlock greatness? If you wanted to trade down and take Bortles later on, how long do you wait?

Welcome to the Bortles conundrum.

Film Room: UCF's fast-rising Blake Bortles not elite QB

By Bucky Brooks

NFL Media analyst

Published: Dec. 20, 2013 at 12:03 p.m.

Updated: Dec. 20, 2013 at 01:01 p.m.

The draft is nearly six months away, but the hype machine is already in overdrive building up prospects into transcendent superstars at the next level.

Now, I know that I've certainly contributed to the speculation throughout the fall by strongly stating my beliefs about a handful of players in the 2014 class with the talent and potential to make an immediate impact in the NFL. While those opinions are rooted in my experiences as a player and scout in the NFL over the past 20 years, I try to balance my personal evaluations with a solid understanding of what general managers, coaches and scouts prefer based on the current landscape of the league.

At the quarterback position, in particular, I've been greatly influenced by my experience playing with the likes of Jim Kelly, Brett Favre and Rich Gannon, so my view of a franchise quarterback might be a little different based on watching them put their respective teams on their backs when it was needed. Additionally, I've been impacted by my time around Mike Holmgren, Jon Gruden, Kevin Gilbride, Dan Henning and Mike McCarthy. Although their respective development styles were different, I closely observed how each would maximize the talent at the position and put players in a position to succeed.

Based on those experiences and observations, I believe we should pause a bit before anointing Central Florida's Blake Bortles as the next great franchise quarterback. Now, I know I might be the dissenting voice on his potential based on the buzz that is building in his favor, but I believe the tape reveals a good, not great, college player. That doesn't mean that I can't see a handful of teams viewing him as a future starting quarterback, but I didn't see an elite player when I studied the tape. Here are my thoughts on the fastest-rising prospect in college football:

AthleticismThe speed and quickness of pass rushers in the NFL requires the quarterback to possess enough mobility to avoid defenders in a collapsing pocket. While extraordinary running skills are required, the threat of a mobile quarterback certainly adds a dimension to the offense. Bortles is not a dynamic dual-threat playmaker from the pocket, but he is an above-average athlete with the quickness and agility to make things happen on the perimeter. He capably executes some zone-read concepts for the Knights, while also showing sneaky running skills on designed quarterback runs. As a passer, he shows adequate balance and body control throwing on the move. He makes strong throws rolling to his right or left, and consistently delivers pinpoint passes within the receiver's strike zone. Given his athleticism and on-the-move throwing skills, Bortles could play in any offensive system in the NFL.

Arm talentArm strength is overrated in the evaluation process, but elite quarterbacks in the NFL are capable of working the entire field from the pocket. From the deep comeback on the sideline from the opposite hash to the "hole shot" delivered down the boundary against Cover 2, quarterbacks must be able to throw the fastball (zip and velocity) or change-up (touch or finesse throws) based on the reaction of the defense. Bortles certainly shows the ability to make those throws on tape. Although he plays in an offense that features a lot of bubble screen and quick passes, Bortles shines when given the chance to push the ball down the field on traditional pro throws like curls, comebacks and "Bang-8's" (skinny posts). He routinely puts the ball on the receiver's proper shoulder and his superb ball placement results in completions despite tight coverage. Of course, Bortles missed a handful of receivers on the aforementioned routes during my film study, but his errant tosses were the result of shoddy footwork and lower-body involvement. If he can refine his mechanics and technique, he should be able to make consistent throws at the next level without a problem.

Pocket presenceTo succeed in the NFL, a quarterback must be able to thrive amid a chaotic pocket. Although most offensive coordinators will craft schemes to keep the quarterback upright in the pocket, the best signal-callers in the game exhibit the poise, awareness and courage to deliver accurate strikes with defenders in close proximity. Looking at Bortles' performance over the past two seasons (2013: Akron, South Carolina, Louisville and Penn State; 2012: Ohio State, Missouri and Marshall), I believed he has grown tremendously in this area, but he remains an inconsistent passer under duress. He will fall off his throws to avoid contact up the middle; the drifting floaters routinely hit defenders in the chest.

Some of Bortles' fundamental flaws can be corrected with coaching, but shoddy footwork under duress could lead to big problems at the next level, where defensive coordinators ratchet up the pressure immensely against young quarterbacks.

Football intelligenceThe difference between the pro game and college game routinely comes down to the number of responsibilities placed on the quarterback at the line of scrimmage. NFL coaches will ask the quarterback to set or direct the protection, while also instructing the receivers and running backs on potential hot routes or sight adjustments. Additionally, quarterbacks are asked to read coverage in the pre- and post-snap phase to determine the route progression in complex passing games. Given the mental gymnastics required at the position, NFL coaches prefer quarterbacks with some experience in those areas.

Looking at Bortles' performance at Central Florida, he appears to have complete control of their offense at the line of scrimmage. He frequently barks out signals during the pre-snap phase and points out potential rushers prior to the snap. While it appears that the scheme has swing routes and quick screens built into most of his route progressions to serve as hot routes, Bortles deserves credit for identifying his outlets quickly when he notices blitz pressure. Additionally, he earns commendable marks for taking care of the ball by generally making wise decisions in the pocket.

If I had to point out an area of concern, I would cite his struggles against elite defenses (South Carolina, Ohio State and Missouri) as a possible issue. In those games, he appeared fooled by late-moving coverage and threw a handful of interceptions on telegraphed throws over the middle. Without the benefit of seeing Bortles perform in a college all-star game, it will be tough for scouts and coaches to determine if he was spooked by the speed and athleticism of those respective teams or simply misread a few routes that resulted in turnovers.

Clutch factorQuarterbacks are measured by their ability to perform in big games and critical situations (two-minute, red-zone and third-down). Elite quarterbacks not only thrive in those situations, but they live for the challenge of excelling with the game on the line. Bortles has been terrific in these situations this season, but the sample size has been small. He delivered a handful of key plays against Louisville and SMU to rally his team back from late-game deficits. In those performances, he was deadly accurate when he needed to make big-time throws, which says a lot about his poise and confidence in the clutch. He also displayed those traits directing his team to a win over Penn State on the road. Although the Nittany Lions are a bit undermanned due to NCAA sanctions, the fact he was able win a big game on the road is a huge.

On the other hand, the argument could be made that Bortles hasn't faced an elite defense outside of South Carolina this season, so it's hard to determine how he would fare against the slate of teams Johnny Manziel, AJ McCarron, Marcus Mariota or some of the other notable prospects have faced this season.

ConclusionBortles is an intriguing quarterback prospect with the desirable physical dimensions and talent to be a coveted player in NFL draft rooms. He has improved steadily throughout his career, and notched a few distinguished wins that will lead some evaluators to see him as a franchise-caliber quarterback. However, I believe it is important to keep his value in perspective when comparing him to the recent classes of quarterbacks that have produced the likes of Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson. While each of the aforementioned players has endured a varying degree of struggles in the NFL, there wasn't any doubt about their talent or dominance at the collegiate level. They stood out on game tape and looked like Day 1 NFL starters (most didn't expect Wilson to be the star he has become, but most believed he was a natural leader and exceptional talent despite his diminutive dimensions).

Looking at Bortles on tape, I simply don't get those feelings. I see a good player with a lot of upside, but I don't see a transcendent star that will significantly change the fortunes of a dismal franchise. Now, that doesn't mean he can't be an effective starter for a team, but I believe it will take him some time to develop into a solid player as a pro.

When a scout is placing a grade on a prospect, he must take that potential into account, and I can't place a top-10 grade on a quarterback that is good, not great, at this time. Bortles strikes me as a prospect comparable to Nick Foles coming out of college. While Foles has exceeded expectations to this point of his career, the jury is still out on whether he will truly become a franchise quarterback. That's how I see Bortles, which is why I would grade him as a borderline first-round prospect at this point. He can start and win games in the NFL, but he will need some time to develop in the right system to become an impact player as a pro.

Follow Bucky Brooks on Twitter @BuckyBrooks.

Video Link:

NFL Comparisons: Blake Bortles
01:10 – Former NFL scout Bucky Brooks breaks down Central Florida quarterback Blake Bortles' game film to find an NFL quarterback comparison.
Roethlisberger is a good comp and Bortles is at least as good sensing pressure and running the ball. The big negative I have on Bortles is his inconsistency on shorter passes and his below average accuracy on deep passes.

Having watched a lot more Bortles, I'm not exactly sure where I stand on him. He does a lot of special things - moving in pocket, running, making plays out of nothing - but I think he needs play makers around him rather than being someone who can make big plays himself.

My gut is telling me he'd be a great fit with the Vikings where he can get the ball the ball to Patterson and AP in the open field.

2014 NFL Mock Draft: Blake Bortles No. 1 to the Texans makes sense

By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst

January 6, 2014 7:19 pm ET

In a class that lacks a consensus top quarterback prospect, it shouldn't shock anyone if the Houston Texans draft Central Florida's Blake Bortles with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft.

With the hire of head coach Bill O'Brien, it's a fair assumption that Houston will be targeting a quarterback at some point in the 2014 NFL Draft. And with the first pick, the Texans' think tank will have their choice of the litter, making quarterback an overwhelming favorite to go No. 1.

Plain and simple: the Texans need a new face at quarterback and Bortles has several traits that make him a logical fit in Houston.

Bortles is built well for NFL competition and has the make-up and skill-set that coaches and scouts seek in a “franchise” quarterback. At 6-4 and 230 pounds, he has good arm strength and downfield vision, but also quick feet and terrific mobility to be a threat with his legs. Bortles has above average poise, pocket presence and overall feel for what's going on around him, showing the ability to execute under pressure and improvise when needed. His release and arm strength are similar to Andrew Luck and his size, mobility and clutch attributes are very reminiscent of a young Ben Roethlisberger. Bortles still has a long way to go before he's in the same league as either quarterback, but it's those natural traits that he consistently shows on film that has scouts making the comparisons.

Is he a flawless prospect? Of course not. Bortles allows his technique to get sloppy at times, which will cause erratic throws, and he wasn't always dominant in a mediocre-at-best conference.

But from a physical and mental standpoint, it's easy to see why some around the league view Bortles as the most desirable quarterback of the group.

Again, let's keep it simple: Bortles fits the mold for what NFL scouts and coaches, and specifically O'Brien, covet at the position.

O'Brien even had the chance to see Bortles first-hand during the 2013 season when Central Florida visited Happy Valley this past September and left with a 34-31 victory. Bortles finished the game 20-for-27 (74.1%) for 288 yards, three touchdowns and one interception, handing Penn State its first loss of the season. After the game, O'Brien had this to say about the Knights junior quarterback:

“Anytime you have a quarterback like [blake Bortles], who is accurate, has a strong arm, is big, and can stand in the pocket and can run, it is a difficult challenge. He played a great game tonight and all the credit to him. I think he is a heck of a player. I didn't get a chance to meet him or say hello to him, but I think he is a heck of a player. He had a great game.”

Sure, there is a lot of “coach speak” in there and the quote is based off one performance, but players like Bortles aren't often forgotten by offensive gurus like O'Brien. Especially a highly intelligent field general like Bortles who exudes toughness, leadership and confidence.

Bortles has a solid resume with 71 career touchdowns (56 passing, 15 rushing) and a .815 winning percentage as a starter (22-5 career record). But remember, NFL teams don't draft players based on what they've done, they draft players based on what teams think they will do.

Regardless if you or I think Bortles is worthy of the No. 1 pick, it doesn't matter. What does matter is that for many around the league, Bortles is the most appealing quarterback prospect in this draft class. Time will tell if he's “the guy” for the Texans, but, in my opinion, a Bortles-O'Brien marriage makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons and it shouldn't surprise anyone if or when it happens.

Sounds like he locked in being the #1 pick at his Pro-day.
Jaws seems to like him.

Bortles to the Jaguars makes sense if they like him. Even more with them re-signing Henne as the short-term starter until Bortles develops.

But then, I still think Clowney goes 1.01

Users who are viewing this thread