What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 2014 NFL Draft All-Overrated Team: Vanderbilt WR Jordan Matthews (2 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

The Philadelphia Inquirer suggests Jordan Matthews' numbers could "jump" in 2015.

Free agency couldn't have gone much better for Matthews' fantasy stock. Chiefs coach Andy Reid stole Jeremy Maclin away and the Eagles did not replace him, leaving Matthews as the no-doubt top target for new quarterback Sam Bradford. The Eagles will almost certainly spend a priority draft pick at wideout, but Matthews has WR1 upside despite working out of the slot.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News
Mar 23 - 10:18 AM

Rotoworld:

Chip Kelly didn't rule out the possibility of Jordan Matthews getting some work outside this season.

As a rookie last year, Matthews ran a league-high 92.4 percent of his routes from the slot. "We just wanted him to play one position and learn one position," Kelly said. Matthews excelled at that spot (67-872-8), but his already high ceiling would be raised if he got some chances on the outside. Right now, the Eagles' top-two players out there are woeful Riley Cooper and unproven Josh Huff.

Mar 26 - 9:03 AM

Who are the 5-7 top WR's (Legit WR1) in the league?

Calvin-team made playoffs

Dez-team made playoffs

Julio-finished under .500

AJ Green-team made playoffs

Nelson-Team made playoffs

Brown-Team made playoffs

D Thomas-team made playoffs

What was the last Super Bowl winner to have a legitimate WR1? Giants in 2011?

2014-Pats-no

2013-Seattle-Golden Tate-no

2012-Ravens-Bolden-not a Legit 1 by this time.

2011-Giants-Victor Cruz-meh, although that year he certainly performed like a legit WR1

2010-Packers-Greg Jennings?

2009-Saints-Colston?

2008-Steelers-Hines?

2007-Giants-Plaxico

2006-Indy-Harrison/Wayne

Rotoworld:

The Philadelphia Inquirer suggests Jordan Matthews' numbers could "jump" in 2015.Free agency couldn't have gone much better for Matthews' fantasy stock. Chiefs coach Andy Reid stole Jeremy Maclin away and the Eagles did not replace him, leaving Matthews as the no-doubt top target for new quarterback Sam Bradford. The Eagles will almost certainly spend a priority draft pick at wideout, but Matthews has WR1 upside despite working out of the slot.Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

Mar 23 - 10:18 AM
This overrated dude might have been severely underrated!

Re-drafting the 2014 wide receiver class

Excerpt:

Jordan Matthews, Philadelphia EaglesMatthews began his Philadelphia career with a specialized role, working between the numbers as a slot receiver exploiting size mismatches versus nickel corners. Coach Chip Kelly expanded his route tree at midseason, coinciding with Nick Foles' injury and the major upgrade in ball placement from Mark Sanchez.

Matthews blossomed with Sanchez under center, as his skill set dovetailed with a more mobile quarterback utilizing play-fakes and read-option. Sanchez knew exactly where Matthews was on third downs, taking advantage of the rookie's possession-receiver traits and run-after-catch ability. The SEC record-holder also exceeded expectations as a red-zone threat, showcasing long arms, huge hands, no wasted movement and toughness on contested catches in tight spaces.

Although Matthews doesn't flash explosiveness on game film, his measurables (6-foot-3 with 4.46 speed and a 10-foot broad jump) and college production suggest his rookie-season numbers were not simply a byproduct of Kelly's system. A maniacal worker and film junkie like cousin Jerry Rice, Matthews certainly won't fail for lack of commitment.

The Question: Can he play outside?

Although Matthews ran a league-high 92.4 percent of his routes from the slot last season, there's reason to believe his role will be expanded this year. The Eagles neglected to sign a replacement for top receiver Jeremy Maclin, leaving Matthews as the obvious fill-in. More to the point, Chip Kelly has explained that he just wanted Matthews to learn one position as a rookie, allowing him to learn more assignments as his career evolves. If Matthews proves capable of succeeding Maclin and DeSean Jackson as the top target in Kelly's offense, his numbers will skyrocket.

Comparison: Mini Marques Colston

Rotoworld:

Jordan Matthews - WR - Eagles

Philly Mag's Sheil Kapadia expects Jordan Matthews to play "a lot more outside" this season.

Opinions vary among Eagles' beat writers on where Matthews and Nelson Agholor will line up, but Kapadia has Agholor listed as the team's top slot receiver. This will be settled over the summer. Both players can play inside and outside, but Matthews' stock has taken a bit of a hit since the draft. Agholor very well may be the No. 1 receiver to own in Philadelphia once Week 1 rolls around.

Related: Nelson Agholor

Source: Philly Mag: Birds 24/7

May 20 - 9:34 AM

Rotoworld:

Jordan Matthews is practicing at both slot and outside receiver during OTAs.

The Eagles opened Thursday's session with Matthews working inside, and Riley Cooper and Josh Huff on the outside. Matthews later kicked outside, with Cooper aligning across from him and Jeff Maehl in the slot. (Nelson Agholor didn't attend due to an NFL rookie event.) The Eagles want to be able to move Matthews around to create mismatches. He's 6-foot-3 and 212 pounds.

Source: Philly Voice

May 29 - 1:03 AM

Agholor will make this guy look like a chump. Still passing, meh.
Maclin had 1,300 yards and 10 TD's and Matthews still had a pretty good rookie year. Just sayin'
I'm betting on him having a big year regardless what Agholor does.
The Ertz hype is moving strong as well. Also, you have all those RBs. Too many mouths to feed here IMO. Someone is going to disappoint. Maybe it's Mathews, maybe it's not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maclin had 1,300 yards and 10 TD's and Matthews still had a pretty good rookie year. Just sayin'
The Ertz hype is moving strong as well. Also, you have all those RBs. Too many mouths to feed here IMO. Someone is going to disappoint. Maybe it's Mathews, maybe it's not.
This. One of Ertz, Matthews, Agholor won't live up to the hype.

This. One of Ertz, Matthews, Agholor won't live up to the hype.
IMHO it will be Ertz that is the odd man out. He shows flashes of potential but usually doesn't add up. Maybe that will change with Bradford.

One key thing to remember for if/when Bradford gets hurt. Sanchez targeted Matthews more than any wideout last year I believe.

Are people really expecting Agholor to just step right in and replace Maclin? That ain't happening, folks. If anyone fails to meet expectations, it will be the rook.

Are people really expecting Agholor to just step right in and replace Maclin? That ain't happening, folks. If anyone fails to meet expectations, it will be the rook.
Also, people continue to ignore that Maclin was only the leading WR while Foles was playing.

Rotoworld:

CSN Philly's Geoff Mosher didn't see anything at minicamp to suggest Jordan Matthews will see "significant time" on the outside this season.

He played the slot in most three-wide sets at minicamp with Riley Cooper and Josh Huff on the outside. Matthews did see some time on the outside during red zone drills, however. Wherever he plays, Matthews should see plenty of targets this season.

Related: Riley Cooper, Josh Huff

Source: CSN Philly
Jun 18 - 8:26 PM

Rotoworld:

Jordan Matthews lined up at slot receiver in three-wide sets on the first day of Eagles camp Sunday.

Matthews was inside with Josh Huff and Riley Cooper on the perimeter. First-round pick Nelson Agholor should easily win one of the outside jobs before Week 1. Matthews' day-one alignment all but confirms he will indeed continue to fill a Colstonian role in Chip Kelly's offense, creating mismatches between the numbers. Matthews is a high-floor WR2 pick in his second NFL season.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer
Aug 2 - 4:20 PM

Eagles practice notes, August 3, 2015: Jordan Matthews dominates

Excerpt:

Jordan Matthews destroyed today. He had catch after catch after catch, working against an assortment of Brandon Boykin replacements in the slot. Is he just dominating because he was going up against inexperienced competition, or because he's just really good? Probably a mix of the two, but he was the best player on the field today. I'm of the opinion Matthews is going to have a big season. He's underrated both nationally and locally. Hope I'm not overdoing it here, but Matthews has star potential.

Rotoworld:

Jordan Matthews caught two passes for 44 yards in the Eagles' preseason opener Sunday.

He was targeted five times on the day, but Mark Sanchez was all sorts of inaccurate. Matthews busted wide open for a would-be 34-yard touchdown streaking across the middle of the field, but Sanchez overthrew him. There's been talk of Matthews possible seeing more time as an outside receiver in 2015, but he strictly ran routes out of the slot in the exhibition opener with Josh Huff, Riley Cooper, and Nelson Agholor outside. Still, Matthews is a dark horse WR1.

Aug 16 - 2:37 PM

I think Matthews very well could be a very good FF WR this year. Which will be very interesting as those high on him will claim Bloom and those like me who agreed with him were wrong.

The thing is Kelly seems intent on using him exclusively in the slot. And in his system it creates extremely favorable matchups and opportunities for Matthews to put up very good numbers.

So Matthews could put up really good numbers and I'd still agree with Bloom that he does not have the game or project as a true NFL #1. And it looks like Kelly doesnt view him that way either. He's using him as a big slot WR and getting him open on intermediate drag routes, up the seam, etc.

I think Matthews very well could be a very good FF WR this year. Which will be very interesting as those high on him will claim Bloom and those like me who agreed with him were wrong.

The thing is Kelly seems intent on using him exclusively in the slot. And in his system it creates extremely favorable matchups and opportunities for Matthews to put up very good numbers.

So Matthews could put up really good numbers and I'd still agree with Bloom that he does not have the game or project as a true NFL #1. And it looks like Kelly doesnt view him that way either. He's using him as a big slot WR and getting him open on intermediate drag routes, up the seam, etc.
I think this is where some analysts miss the boat. Being a true NFL #1 WR is not the same thing as being a FF #1 WR. I could care less if he is the main threat on his team that the other team has to double team or scheme to stop. I just care how many FF points he puts up. That is why I always made sure to have one of the WR's from a run and shoot offense back in the 90's. Curtis Duncan may not have scared many DB's but he sure was very productive in FF.

Matthews in the slot in a Chip Kelly offense should put up really good Fantasy numbers. That's all most people on this board care about.

I think this is where some analysts miss the boat. Being a true NFL #1 WR is not the same thing as being a FF #1 WR. I could care less if he is the main threat on his team that the other team has to double team or scheme to stop. I just care how many FF points he puts up. That is why I always made sure to have one of the WR's from a run and shoot offense back in the 90's. Curtis Duncan may not have scared many DB's but he sure was very productive in FF.

Matthews in the slot in a Chip Kelly offense should put up really good Fantasy numbers. That's all most people on this board care about.
Should be even better in PPR

True, most here care only about FF impact. I'm just pointing out that Bloom's analysis that Matthews did not project as a NFL #1 and his production would be highly dependent on situation will not necessarily be wrong even if Matthews produces well from a FF, and even, NFL standpoint.

Kelly's use of him in the slot appears to be an ideal situation for his skill set.

Definitely got my eye on him. He's been making into a lot of my mock teams as I think he is pretty good value this year. Re-draft if you go RB in the 1st and then WR heavy rounds 2-4/5 he makes a great third WR. One of Dez/Julio/Jordy/Calvin , one of Evans/Hopkins/Sanders/Hilton dependant on who falls, then one of Cooks/Matthews somewhere in rounds 4-6 makes for a pretty deadly trio hopefully. Putting a bet on a Chip Kelly offence providing good numbers for a sophomore WR that did well last year and has seen other senior WRs leave since, seems like a logically sound tactic to me.

True, most here care only about FF impact. I'm just pointing out that Bloom's analysis that Matthews did not project as a NFL #1 and his production would be highly dependent on situation will not necessarily be wrong even if Matthews produces well from a FF, and even, NFL standpoint.

Kelly's use of him in the slot appears to be an ideal situation for his skill set.
:goodposting: Which is why I like Chip Kelly. He tends to put people in situations which fit well with their skill set.

It's a pretty convenient argument for a FF analyst to differentiate between a FF WR1 and an NFL WR1. Everyone on this board only cares about FF production and that's the bottom line. When u talk WR/RB 1/2/3.... It's within the realm of FF. If someone has to pull out the "well, in NFL terms...." that just means they lost the argument.

All that being said, we haven't seen enough from Mathews to know who is right yet.

Well when the team calling him overrated is already making excuses it's pretty obvious what they think is going to happen. Not Bloom btw just some of his readers that agree with him. Matthews will end up outside too imo. Sometime this year most likely......

Well when the team calling him overrated is already making excuses it's pretty obvious what they think is going to happen. Not Bloom btw just some of his readers that agree with him. Matthews will end up outside too imo. Sometime this year most likely......
I'm assuming my post is what you mean by "the team calling him overrated is already making excuses." Which is fine. They're not excuses, its reality and is entirely consistent with what many on this "team" have said from the beginning. He is situation dependent.

If and when he plays on the outside, I think Bloom and "some of his readers that agree with him" will be proven right.

This discussion is making no sense at all at this point. Are folks still trying to say that, even in a vacuum, Mathews doesn't have the talent to be the best WR on a team? That he is absolutely NOT one of the best 32 WRs in the NFL.

I understood some people believing that a year ago...but that's a silly stance now.

It's much easier to argue that he isn't a fantasy #1 than he isn't capable of being an NFL #1. IN the end, he's not a fantasy #1....yet, but the potential is there. He's absolutely among the best 30-40 or so WRs in the NFL though, so if he isn't an NFL #1 yet, he's close.

Dumb argument IMO.

Rhythmdoctor said:
It's a pretty convenient argument for a FF analyst to differentiate between a FF WR1 and an NFL WR1. Everyone on this board only cares about FF production and that's the bottom line. When u talk WR/RB 1/2/3.... It's within the realm of FF. If someone has to pull out the "well, in NFL terms...." that just means they lost the argument.

All that being said, we haven't seen enough from Mathews to know who is right yet.
Bloom's article was written in February and was about the NFL draft. So its not a matter of convenience for an argument's sake. It's about understanding what the argument was in the first place, which was how his college tape projected to the NFL and where Bloom projected taking him in the NFL draft. This is a FF site but some of us are interested in evaluating players from a broader perspective. The talk of Matthews being a true #1 was always from an NFL perspective.

renesauz said:
This discussion is making no sense at all at this point. Are folks still trying to say that, even in a vacuum, Mathews doesn't have the talent to be the best WR on a team? That he is absolutely NOT one of the best 32 WRs in the NFL.

I understood some people believing that a year ago...but that's a silly stance now.

It's much easier to argue that he isn't a fantasy #1 than he isn't capable of being an NFL #1. IN the end, he's not a fantasy #1....yet, but the potential is there. He's absolutely among the best 30-40 or so WRs in the NFL though, so if he isn't an NFL #1 yet, he's close.

Dumb argument IMO.
To me what is dumb is that assuming that because someone is the best WR on a given team at a given moment they are a true #1. James Thrash and Brian Hartline were the best WR on a team at some point. And its also not just a matter of being one of the 32 best WRs in the NFL, which I don't think Matthews is at this point anyway. Its about doing demonstrating the skill set and ability to do the things a #1 WR typically has to do such as creating separation from man coverage, running a full route tree and consistently winning contested balls.

Matthews had a very good rookie season and by all accounts is having a strong off season. And he could very well but up top 15-20 FF numbers or better this year. But plenty of guys have had top 15 or even top 10 FF seasons without being NFL #1s. As I said before he's in a situation where his usage his conducive to him putting up good numbers. So FF wise great for Matthews lovers right now but it stil doesnt make those of us agreeing with Bloom wrong. Because page 1 of this thread talks about how he is situation dependent based on the offense he is in or QB he plays with. Eric Decker, one of the comps used for Matthews had back to back top 10 FF seasons in Denver. Didn't make him a #1 WR talent. Some will say that doesnt matter as long as he produces in FF, which is fine. But I like to differentiate between talent and situation for when the latter changes.

Its not about "losing an argument." Like everyone else, I hit and miss on players every year in both the short and long term. All I was pointing out is that short term success by Matthews in an offense where he is used exclusively in the slot and on certain routes and looks does not make the original premise of the thread wrong. And a lot of people in this thread said Matthews was the best WR in this class. Better than Watkins, Evans, and Beckam. Do those people still believe they're right?

To me what is dumb is that assuming that because someone is the best WR on a given team at a given moment they are a true #1. James Thrash and Brian Hartline were the best WR on a team at some point. And its also not just a matter of being one of the 32 best WRs in the NFL, which I don't think Matthews is at this point anyway. Its about doing demonstrating the skill set and ability to do the things a #1 WR typically has to do such as creating separation from man coverage, running a full route tree and consistently winning contested balls.
See...here your defining "NFL #1" differently. My definition in the context of my post was the top 32 WRs in the league (not necessarily on a given team. We all realize that some teams lack a #1, while some teams may have more than 1 guy who would fit the criteria.) And most of them can do everything you mention. Coincidentally, I think Mathews can as well.

Theres a bit of semantics going on here.

Jerry Rice didn't have the makings of an NFL #1 either (which btw, I personally define as a top 15 WR in the league, since we each get to decide our own definition). And yet somehow he was not just a #1 but the #1. FWIW

VaTerp said:
Milkman said:
I'm assuming my post is what you mean by "the team calling him overrated is already making excuses." Which is fine. They're not excuses, its reality and is entirely consistent with what many on this "team" have said from the beginning. He is situation dependent.

If and when he plays on the outside, I think Bloom and "some of his readers that agree with him" will be proven right.
Yeah 6'3 with 4.4 speed huge hands and above average hops never projects well playing on the outside. #Rolleyes

See...here your defining "NFL #1" differently. My definition in the context of my post was the top 32 WRs in the league (not necessarily on a given team. We all realize that some teams lack a #1, while some teams may have more than 1 guy who would fit the criteria.) And most of them can do everything you mention. Coincidentally, I think Mathews can as well.

Theres a bit of semantics going on here.
I'm not defining NFL #1 differently. What you bolded is almost verbatim from Bloom's article, which is what this entire thread is based on.

Its not semantics at all. Its about understanding what the argument has been about the whole time. That Matthews did not project as a true NFL #1 who would be the primary of a passing attack and could have success regardless of situation. He has shown a great deal of promise playing the slot in Kelly's scheme and that's great for his FF prospects but does not make the original premise wrong.

Yeah 6'3 with 4.4 speed huge hands and above average hops never projects well playing on the outside. #Rolleyes
Hashtag rolleyes- good one! Yes, b/c every WR prospect with size and speed has enjoyed great success in the NFL. Again, if people actually read the article that this entire thread is based on you see that Bloom's second sentence states that despite his measurables and stats playing against SEC competition he didnt think Matthews projected as a NFL #1.

If and when Matthews moves outside and has success then I'll happily admit to being wrong on this one. Won't be the first time. It is interesting to me though that, at his size, Kelly is playing him exclusively in the slot. By all accounts its working very well but I was just pointing out to the Milkman's of the world, who thought Matthews was a better prospect than Watkins, Beckam, Evans, that his success, at this point is coming exclusively in the slot in a unique offense. Which, again, is consistent with the original point that his production would be situation dependent.

The only thing the kid can do is play where his coach puts him and he's doing that well. If I'm a Eagle fan or a Matthews owner in FF I'm pleased. But that doesnt mean that any of us who werent/arent in complete hashtag love him were wrong.

Chip Kelly knows his strengths and weaknesses. From day 1, Kelly said JM would play in the slot. As an Eagles fan, I don't care if he ever moves to the outside. Is it written anywhere that your best WR can't play the slot? There's little doubt going into this season, the Eagles 2 best WRs are going to be Matthews and Agholor.

From the link in the OP:
Matthews can contribute in the NFL, he belongs, but he won’t be a number one in any scenario, and he wouldn’t be one of the best two receivers on a lot of teams. With so many receivers that offer a higher ceiling in the 2014 NFL Draft, I would have trouble taking him in the top 100 picks.

Its early, but all indications point to him being one of the Eagles' top 2 WRs for the foreseeable future. How many teams have 2 better WRs right now?

Now back to splitting hairs and trying to win the internet.

Rotoworld:

The Philadelphia Inquirer's Jeff McLane reports that it's "clear" that Jordan Matthews is the Eagles' best receiving option, and "the team plans on making him the focal point of the passing offense."

This doesn't come as a surprise, but is more confirmation that Matthews is primed for a big season at slot receiver. He should play nearly every snap with coach Chip Kelly's base offense being 1 RB-1 TE-3 WR. Matthews was targeted five times in the preseason opener and was routinely running free over the middle of the field and made one catch with two defensive backs draped in coverage. He's a candidate to finish top-10 in targets.

Aug 18 - 9:13 PM

Chip Kelly knows his strengths and weaknesses. From day 1, Kelly said JM would play in the slot. As an Eagles fan, I don't care if he ever moves to the outside. Is it written anywhere that your best WR can't play the slot? There's little doubt going into this season, the Eagles 2 best WRs are going to be Matthews and Agholor.

From the link in the OP:

Matthews can contribute in the NFL, he belongs, but he won’t be a number one in any scenario, and he wouldn’t be one of the best two receivers on a lot of teams. With so many receivers that offer a higher ceiling in the 2014 NFL Draft, I would have trouble taking him in the top 100 picks.

Its early, but all indications point to him being one of the Eagles' top 2 WRs for the foreseeable future. How many teams have 2 better WRs right now?

Now back to splitting hairs and trying to win the internet.
I see his role as similar to what Colston did with the Saints.

Users who are viewing this thread