What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Politics and War in Ukraine (4 Viewers)

2014 is the Year of Consequences, when the vultures come home to roost.
It took 5 seconds to find where you plagiarized this from, I'll let someone else tell us where the rest came from.

Second comment by Subotai Bahadur, click show more and see the last sentence. :no:
Looks like most of it is plagiarized from that post you found. Nice find.
Exactly what makes you think this is the only forum to which I contribute? Footballguys Free for All isn't exactly a hotbed of stimulating interaction of you're not into discussing the sordid details of your latest sexual dalliance. It's a great line and of course I used it. Here's the full post:

No wrath of Godwin, because Adolf and Nazi Germany were real. And the reactions to them were real. And while history does not repeat itself, human stupidity does.

The last paragraph of Chamberlain's can be taken as delivered, and also as it might be interpreted today by those in Former Soviet Republics, and former Warsaw Pact countries whose sovereignty and territorial integrity was guaranteed by Western Powers the same as that of the Ukraine in the Budapest Memorandum. And no, we are not going to fight for the Ukraine, memorandum, guarantee, or not. But all across what the Russians call the Near Abroad; every country now knows it is surely on its own and safety will lay in either collaboration with the aggressor, or in singly or collectively developing a countervalue deterrent. Which development will make the world increasingly untidy.

That lesson is also being learned by our Asian allies. South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, the Philippines, and Australia are as on their own as the Ukraine. And they will have the same choices as the Eastern Europeans.

There is a third possible interpretation of that paragraph:

>>>We have a clear conscience. We have done all that any country could do to establish peace. But the situation in which no word given by Germany's ruler could be trusted, and no people or country could feel itself safe, had become intolerable. And now that we have resolved to finish it, I know that you will all play your part with calmness and courage."<<<

Replace the word "Germany" with the word "America", and ponder the domestic implications. And the options for the American people are not that far off from those of the Eastern Europeans and our Asian allies; collaboration or resistance.

2014 is the Year of Consequences, when the vultures come home to roost.

Subotai Bahadur
How is repeating a line from a public message board; a line which I've also heard paraphrased several times in private company since 2008 mocking the president's mentor (You do remember Rev. Wright's infamous "Chickens coming to roost" & "G** damn America speech, don't you?) any different than "We are the 99%", "Yes We Can", "Bush lied, people died", "97% of climate scientists agree" etc.? Somebody came up with those slogans as well and they are continually used without reference.

Here's an idea, how about you guys try rebutting the substance of my post instead of how it was posted? Bet you can't.

Our forces are functionally surrounded, and a major part of the surrounding force is Russian. The only remaining course of action for the former Warsaw Pact countries and former Soviet republics who wish to remain independent is to arm up big time. Andthat includes such WMD's as they can acquire from any source.
From a post two days ago from your boy Subotai Bahadur:

Our forces are functionally surrounded, and a major part of the surrounding force is Russian.

The only remaining course for the former Warsaw Pact countries and FSU republics who wish to remain independent is to arm up big time. And that includes such WMD's as they can acquire from any source.
Is this another one of those catchphrases people repeat at parties?

Bucky86 said:
Slapdash said:
Scoresman said:
Time to see if Obama's balls are anywhere near as big as Kennedy's were.
Its this way of thinking that leaves humanity constantly wasting money butchering each other.
:goodposting:

Easy for these ####### armchair generals to want to blow #### up.
It's pointless to even listen to the right anymore while Obama is in there. When he's talking tough they say he's all talk, if he takes military action they'll say he's reckless and arrogant. They're actually waiting to see what he does to figure out how to complain.
:bs:

Uhmmm....Syria? Libya? Iran? Hello? Does that sound familiar? The problem with Obama is that he has a track record of making promises he won't keep. Putin knows this. Everyone is justified in raking him over the coals for making empty threats again. It makes us look weak.
I look forward to you showing up at your local Army Recruiting Office first thing Monday morning, since you think it's "us".
Been there, done that. I did my time in the 1st Iraq War with the Marines.

How about you? When did you do your service? Maybe we can get together over a few beers and reminisce about the old days?
1974 - 1997 and my son was in Iraq and Afghanistan. Both these things make me extremely weary of saber rattlers, almost all of whom have no clue and think war is something for their entertainment on CNN. It should always be a last resort when everything else is exhausted and furthermore, there should then be a mandatory draft for national service, no exceptions.

I agree. I'm really not for sending in our young men either since I've seen it first hand. IMO, this isn't one of those conflicts (at this point).

Our forces are functionally surrounded, and a major part of the surrounding force is Russian. The only remaining course of action for the former Warsaw Pact countries and former Soviet republics who wish to remain independent is to arm up big time. Andthat includes such WMD's as they can acquire from any source.

Our forces are functionally surrounded, and a major part of the surrounding force is Russian.

The only remaining course for the former Warsaw Pact countries and FSU republics who wish to remain independent is to arm up big time. And that includes such WMD's as they can acquire from any source.
At my parties it is. :moneybag:

At my parties it is. :moneybag:
Sounds like a blast!

Here's an idea, how about you guys try rebutting the substance of my post instead of how it was posted? Bet you can't.
What you consider substance (like the below) others would view as a rant and not worth taking the time to rebut.

Obama has proven to be a liar and opportunist at every turn and utterly ineffective abroad. I cannot think of anything selfless or noble that this President has done. Moreover, he lacks any kind of personal moral courage. He wouldn't risk a toenail to save one of his daughters, much less help a nation of millions of evil, colonialist, Europeans. The man is a narcissistic coward as are a great many Americans these days. He could care less how many people die wherever, as long as his family and entourage are hooked in the US Treasury IV to keep the Obama/Democrat entitlement stash going.

What you consider substance (like the below) others would view as a rant and not worth taking the time to rebut.

Obama has proven to be a liar and opportunist at every turn and utterly ineffective abroad. I cannot think of anything selfless or noble that this President has done. Moreover, he lacks any kind of personal moral courage. He wouldn't risk a toenail to save one of his daughters, much less help a nation of millions of evil, colonialist, Europeans. The man is a narcissistic coward as are a great many Americans these days. He could care less how many people die wherever, as long as his family and entourage are hooked in the US Treasury IV to keep the Obama/Democrat entitlement stash going.
Should probably stick to plagiarizing.

This isn't an invasion. It's a lot of hot air.
This thread is completely unreadable. I think I understand this situation less than when I started reading it.

Is this an invasion or not?
As far as I can tell, no. There are unmarked (probably Russian) security forces in Crimea. The Russians authorized Putin to mobilize troops to Ukraine. Lots if public statements from heads of nations, hearings etc. As of now, it's kind of wait and see.

To the feckless West this Ukrainian crisis is sudden. Putin on the other hand has been planning for it for years and has necessary contingency plans at the ready. With an impotent US president and toothless EU as his only opposition, this is a lock for a Russian invasion. It appears from the propaganda being put out (i.e. "liberation", protecting the East from murderous right wing fascists) there will be some level of a straight-up invasion by Russia.

I hate being right about tragedy, but with Obama as CinC and his numerous geopolitical blunders in Libya, Syria, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, etc. already on the books it's easy guessing correctly. Who on earth could possibly believe anything the man says? "Don't cross red lines?" "Respect territorial integrity?" Obama has proven to be a liar and opportunist at every turn and utterly ineffective abroad. I cannot think of anything selfless or noble that this President has done. Moreover, he lacks any kind of personal moral courage. He wouldn't risk a toenail to save one of his daughters, much less help a nation of millions of evil, colonialist, Europeans. The man is a narcissistic coward as are a great many Americans these days. He could care less how many people die wherever, as long as his family and entourage are hooked in the US Treasury IV to keep the Obama/Democrat entitlement stash going.

The only thing that saves the Ukraine is the Ukrainian people going to the mat, IED's, suicide vests, and every man, woman, and child with a rifle, and taking the fight to Russia.
http://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/2014/02/28/lost-in-history/

OldSaltUSN said:

In the West, the Ukrainian crisis is sudden, but Putin has been planning for it for years, and has necessary contingency plans at the ready. With an impotent US President and EU his only opposition, this is a lock for a Russian invasion. Whatever, it appears in the propaganda (i.e. "liberation", protecting the East from murderous right wing fascists, whatever), it will be a straight up invasion by Russia.

I hate being right about tragedy, but with Obama as CinC, it's easy guessing correctly. Who on earth could possibly believe anything that man said? Obama has proven to be a liar and opportunist at every opportunity. I cannot think of anything self-less, noble, or in the "best interest of the country" that this President has done. Moreover, he lacks any kind of personal moral courage. He wouldn't risk a toenail to save one of his daughters. The man is a narcissistic coward. He could care less how many people die wherever, as long as his family and entourage are hooked in the US Treasury IV to keep the Obama stash going.

The only thing that saves the Ukraine is a united Ukrainian people going to the mat, IED's, suicide vests, and every man, woman, and child with a rifle, and taking the fight to Russia. I don't think that they have it in them. Too many years of being a Soviet satellite to change stripes now.
To be fair TPW added the word feckless

Last edited by a moderator:
To the feckless West this Ukrainian crisis is sudden. Putin on the other hand has been planning for it for years and has necessary contingency plans at the ready. With an impotent US president and toothless EU as his only opposition, this is a lock for a Russian invasion. It appears from the propaganda being put out (i.e. "liberation", protecting the East from murderous right wing fascists) there will be some level of a straight-up invasion by Russia.

I hate being right about tragedy, but with Obama as CinC and his numerous geopolitical blunders in Libya, Syria, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, etc. already on the books it's easy guessing correctly. Who on earth could possibly believe anything the man says? "Don't cross red lines?" "Respect territorial integrity?" Obama has proven to be a liar and opportunist at every turn and utterly ineffective abroad. I cannot think of anything selfless or noble that this President has done. Moreover, he lacks any kind of personal moral courage. He wouldn't risk a toenail to save one of his daughters, much less help a nation of millions of evil, colonialist, Europeans. The man is a narcissistic coward as are a great many Americans these days. He could care less how many people die wherever, as long as his family and entourage are hooked in the US Treasury IV to keep the Obama/Democrat entitlement stash going.

The only thing that saves the Ukraine is the Ukrainian people going to the mat, IED's, suicide vests, and every man, woman, and child with a rifle, and taking the fight to Russia.

OldSaltUSN said:

In the West, the Ukrainian crisis is sudden, but Putin has been planning for it for years, and has necessary contingency plans at the ready. With an impotent US President and EU his only opposition, this is a lock for a Russian invasion. Whatever, it appears in the propaganda (i.e. "liberation", protecting the East from murderous right wing fascists, whatever), it will be a straight up invasion by Russia.

I hate being right about tragedy, but with Obama as CinC, it's easy guessing correctly. Who on earth could possibly believe anything that man said? Obama has proven to be a liar and opportunist at every opportunity. I cannot think of anything self-less, noble, or in the "best interest of the country" that this President has done. Moreover, he lacks any kind of personal moral courage. He wouldn't risk a toenail to save one of his daughters. The man is a narcissistic coward. He could care less how many people die wherever, as long as his family and entourage are hooked in the US Treasury IV to keep the Obama stash going.

The only thing that saves the Ukraine is a united Ukrainian people going to the mat, IED's, suicide vests, and every man, woman, and child with a rifle, and taking the fight to Russia. I don't think that they have it in them. Too many years of being a Soviet satellite to change stripes now.
Good find. So now at least 95% of TPW's post was plagiarized.

Gawain said:
If Obama and Western Europe really wanted to head this off, they'd offer Ukraine NATO membership tomorrow. The last president turned it down, but the current one wouldn't.
If the US offered Ukraine membership to NATO tomorrow, that would start WWIII.The last president of Ukraine was not offered NATO membership.
huh?
You know being a member of NATO requires you to aid other NaTO nations when attacked. Ukraine is being invaded and if they were a member of NaTO that would be NATO vs invading Nation ( Russia ) Exactly what everyone envisioned WWIII to be the last 8 decades.
Ukraine/Nato would deter a Russian invasion..
I

[SIZE=10.5pt]If today NATO announced an immediate membership of Ukraine, the Russians would attack the Ukraine faster than you can say, "man was I wrong"[/SIZE]
I doubt there will be a Ukraine/Nato anytime soon, so the debate is somewhat meaningless. We'll likely never know one way or the other. But I think Ukraine joining Nato would deter attacks and support their sovereign status. The threat of major Nato backing is a deterrent, and I'm not sure what your argument would be otherwise..

OldSaltUSN said:

What difference does that make? Your criticism is akin to spell checking an opposing viewpoints post..

This is a country that elected a President in 2010 who rigged the 2004 election.

What difference does that make? Your criticism is akin to spell checking an opposing viewpoints post..
Obviously none to you. :lol:
You disagree with his post, and all that you can come up with is "TPW's post was plagiarized"..

If that's the top line of your debate bullet points :lol:
Apparently not one thought here was original or his own - just a cut-and-paste from far right web sites (he couldn't even take the time to rephrase it) That meets your standards, it doesn't meet mine.

You disagree with his post, and all that you can come up with is "TPW's post was plagiarized"..

OK. What makes you think this was a surprise to the "feckless West?" As if the dye wasn't cast when Yanukovych was turned down by the west for loans and ended up getting in bed with Putin.

Apparently not one thought here was original or his own - just a cut-and-paste from far right web sites (he couldn't even take the time to rephrase it) That meets your standards, it doesn't meet mine.
Whether they were his original thoughts or not, they were still thoughts he agreed with and decided to share in the discussion. They were someones original thoughts, and they appear to be in opposition to yours. All you can come up with to counterpoint is "TPW's post was plagiarized"?

If you disagree with the points made in his post, maybe share some of your opposing thoughts? Or is it not possible for you to intelligently counter those ideas?

Whether they were his original thoughts or not, they were still thoughts he agreed with and decided to share in the discussion. They were someones original thoughts, and they appear to be in opposition to yours. All you can come up with to counterpoint is "TPW's post was plagiarized"?

If you disagree with the points made in his post, maybe share some of your opposing thoughts? Or is it not possible for you to intelligently counter those ideas?
Yes they were. :lol:

OldSaltUSN said:

Hilarious.It's cute that in a post where he questions Obama's moral fiber, he steals the work of others and tries to pass it off as his own.

So what exactly are these half-wits suggesting via their unsolicited FFA proxy? Aside from just "anything but what that uppity ###### is doing."

To make it clear, I do disagree with the intent of his or the original authors post.. Obviously a biased right opinion. But I also disagree with the tact of the lefties in this forum as well..

To make it clear, I do disagree with the intent of his or the original authors post.. Obviously a biased right opinion. But I also disagree with the tact of the lefties in this forum as well..
What tact? Plagiarism is vile and should be called out whenever it is noticed. Especially when it is coming from a guy who tries to take the moral high ground in every post.Now we all know that TPW is a morally weak dullard who can't make an argument on his own. That's important to know.

Bucky86 said:
Slapdash said:
Scoresman said:
Time to see if Obama's balls are anywhere near as big as Kennedy's were.
Its this way of thinking that leaves humanity constantly wasting money butchering each other.

Easy for these ####### armchair generals to want to blow #### up.
It's pointless to even listen to the right anymore while Obama is in there. When he's talking tough they say he's all talk, if he takes military action they'll say he's reckless and arrogant. They're actually waiting to see what he does to figure out how to complain.
:bs:

Uhmmm....Syria? Libya? Iran? Hello? Does that sound familiar? The problem with Obama is that he has a track record of making promises he won't keep. Putin knows this. Everyone is justified in raking him over the coals for making empty threats again. It makes us look weak.
I look forward to you showing up at your local Army Recruiting Office first thing Monday morning, since you think it's "us".
Been there, done that. I did my time in the 1st Iraq War with the Marines.

How about you? When did you do your service? Maybe we can get together over a few beers and reminisce about the old days?
1974 - 1997 and my son was in Iraq and Afghanistan. Both these things make me extremely weary of saber rattlers, almost all of whom have no clue and think war is something for their entertainment on CNN. It should always be a last resort when everything else is exhausted and furthermore, there should then be a mandatory draft for national service, no exceptions.

I agree. I'm really not for sending in our young men either since I've seen it first hand. IMO, this isn't one of those conflicts (at this point).
So I'm confused. So you agree that we shouldn't send people over. But then what should the President do? Should he not say anything? Should he not condemn other countries invading these countries?

You bring up Iran, Syria, and Libya and accuse the President of not keeping his promises. Then, two posts later, you talk about how we shouldn't send our young men into war. So should Obama just tell al-Assad to kill as many people as he wants?

Obama is in an impossible situation. Everyone wants to avoid foreign entanglements yet anything that happens globally will have ramifications back home. It just isn't cut and dry and I don't really think there is a good solution. I don't think we'd be better off if Romney was in office and if anything, we'd be closer to that war which you have just said you are against.

What tact? Plagiarism is vile and should be called out whenever it is noticed. Especially when it is coming from a guy who tries to take the moral high ground in every post.Now we all know that TPW is a morally weak dullard who can't make an argument on his own. That's important to know.
It's vile? :lmao: Get a hobby man, jeez.

So what exactly are these half-wits suggesting via their unsolicited FFA proxy?
Maybe try reading his post.. Reading comprehension down?
I've read it. I don't see a suggestion. Obama said there would be a cost if they invade. Obviously, there will be.
What costs? What do you think our position should be? And why?
Bounce him from the G-8, for starters. Then trade sanctions. What do I think we should do? Exactly what is being done and exactly what every other US president would do. Condemn it and watch it unfold. This isn't worth risking WWIII. Putin is a stone-cold assassin who would be just as comfortable putting a claw hammer into the back of your head as dying trying to get what he wants. Do not underestimate him.

ETA: I would have loved to listen in on the phone call today.

:rolleyes:

So what exactly are these half-wits suggesting via their unsolicited FFA proxy?
Maybe try reading his post.. Reading comprehension down?
I've read it. I don't see a suggestion. Obama said there would be a cost if they invade. Obviously, there will be.
What costs? What do you think our position should be? And why?
Bounce him from the G-8, for starters. Then trade sanctions. What do I think we should do? Exactly what is being done and exactly what every other US president would do. Condemn it and watch it unfold. This isn't worth risking WWIII. Putin is a stone-cold assassin who would be just as comfortable putting a claw hammer into the back of your head as dying trying to get what he wants. Do not underestimate him.
I'm not sure what their motives are in Ukraine, but yet another Russian Border country is destabilized. I think it's ridiculous that anyone would assume Russia isn't going to step in. We would do the same.. So, I don't think we should be involved at all. Unless we see some atrocities committed.. Obviously the political/global manipulation power play would be to force Russia to be surrounded by instabilities, but why? Can we not all find a way to work together rather than struggle for power?

I don't disagree with the the presidents position/non-position.. Seems the proper political decision to make in light of typical American politics (which I disagree with, but that's another discussion)..

Yes, those dastardly lefties have the audacity to not only call out someone as a plagiarist but they even go so far as to actually confront them with proof of it. What levels of debauchery will they sink to next?

These political threads are pathetic.
Seems like people don't want to deal in facts but in shock and politics based on the thread title and most of the comments. Cable news creeping into the psyche of the American public I suppose. At least those who are easily manipulated.

Yes, those dastardly lefties have the audacity to not only call out someone as a plagiarist but they even go so far as to actually confront them with proof of it. What levels of debauchery will they sink to next?
As an attempt to ignore the point of the post or the discussion at hand? yea, silly and completely transparent..

As an attempt to ignore the point of the post or the discussion at hand? yea, silly and completely transparent..
What he posted was not his original thoughts or words, just a cut-and-paste from conservative sites. If I wanted to discuss what he said I would have gone to pjmedia and addressed OldSaltUSN, who actually wrote most of what TPW passed off as his own.

Users who are viewing this thread