Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Don't sleep on Donte Moncrief: Draft Day steal

1 hour ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Broken scapula. Bones mend. Unless it's Tony Romo. 

I took a flyer in him after he was released in a keeper format.  I have to believe Moncrief offers more late season upside than the project WR I was holding.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For the Steelers, I'd say the fact that Ben keeps going to him.

Buy Low

Sure is a lot of Landry vs Diggs discussion in a Moncrief thread.

13 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Uh, yeah - I was exaggerating slightly for effect. The message was "be aggressive, Moncrief should never have been dropped - he's a high ceiling legit WR2/WR1 upon his return and he didn't tear up a knee or anything."

I would realistically bid ~30% of my bankroll to obtain him were I you. 

But since this isn't the Assistant Coach forum, I thought it wasn't really the appropriate forum to be offering this kind of advice, so instead I just posted something to emphasize the importance of adding him with brevity and mirth. ;) 

also its Friday and that all might be the beer talking. 

lighten up, Francis. 

Ah yes, the ol' wrong forum violation. 

I have about 75% of my FAAB left. Around 30% sounds about right. Thanks.

Also agree he should not have been dropped. I wouldn't have. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Zero RB said:

Ah yes, the ol' wrong forum violation. 

I have about 75% of my FAAB left. Around 30% sounds about right. Thanks.

Also agree he should not have been dropped. I wouldn't have. 

lol - just a little Friday night drunk posting ball busting. Glad you were a good sport about it. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Me: "Can we expect Donte Moncrief back in a week or two?" @MikeWellsNFL: "No...at least a few more weeks" Just now on @NextLevelFF #Colts

Not sure if I am gonna hold on to him anymore after hearing this. I'm thinking of moving him and Lat Murray for Jameis in one of my leagues. Already have Evans, Hopkins and Pryor at WR and Miller, Howard, Michael, Ware and Powell at RB. I've been getting terrible QB play all year and with Jameis easy 2nd half schedule, I think he could easily be a top 10 QB ROS.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Zero RB said:

A few weeks could be three more weeks. Unless you have a short bench, he's worth stashing for the stretch run and playoffs.

I mean, you gotta have somebody on your bench, right?

Yea, definitely would not cut him but if you already have solid WR's and can trade for the right price, I wouldn't be opposed. Who knows how he'll look when he gets back and Luck seems to love throwing to TY.

• 2 weeks later...

2 (lowball) ) offers to me for him this week, so I thought there was news. 

I was like "yeah, I've held him for a month+ just to dump him off to you for [weak trade offered]?"

last I heard he was week to week, but improving. 

Indy has to pass a lot.   Dorsett seems out of his element right now.  down the stretch Montcrief could be a difference maker.   probably whistling in the graveyard as I held him in 3 leagues that I own him in(I'm in 6).  All leagues are 12 teams, redraft, start 10, bench from 5 to 10.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, irishidiot said:

Indy has to pass a lot.   Dorsett seems out of his element right now.  down the stretch Montcrief could be a difference maker.   probably whistling in the graveyard as I held him in 3 leagues that I own him in(I'm in 6).  All leagues are 12 teams, redraft, start 10, bench from 5 to 10.

I think you're spot on - so long as Luck's OL doesn't get him Roethlisburger'd, Moncrief should be a significant difference maker down the stretch. 

I originally looked at 4-6 week time table and saw week 8 was worst case but afraid I got to agree that he's more likely to return after the bye. Just unusual when you have a player whose injury needs rest to sit him out this long than have him return week before bye. So I see him as either playing week 8, or not till 11.

Based on what I just read from Colts beat writer I think week 11. Nothing earth shattering in his report but he said that Moncrief was stretching today, which is technically progress but when someone asked him if he was a another week or two away he said "at least".

In terms of what kind of a difference maker would he be. Every league I own him is an 11 week regular season league and as of right now I have zero regrets about hanging on even if he only makes it back for last game. I just hope he does not come back like Randall Cobb was last year, limited.

• Like 1

One good thing working in his favor is the AFC South is bad enough that despite Indy's record they should still have something to play for down the stretch.  It is good that Indy never put Moncrief on IR. 

There are a couple of salty matchups in spots after the bye and wk 16 @Oak if we are still in it for all the FF marbles.

11 hours ago, menobrown said:

I originally looked at 4-6 week time table and saw week 8 was worst case but afraid I got to agree that he's more likely to return after the bye. Just unusual when you have a player whose injury needs rest to sit him out this long than have him return week before bye. So I see him as either playing week 8, or not till 11.

Based on what I just read from Colts beat writer I think week 11. Nothing earth shattering in his report but he said that Moncrief was stretching today, which is technically progress but when someone asked him if he was a another week or two away he said "at least".

In terms of what kind of a difference maker would he be. Every league I own him is an 11 week regular season league and as of right now I have zero regrets about hanging on even if he only makes it back for last game. I just hope he does not come back like Randall Cobb was last year, limited.

Week 11? I wonder what kind of redraft offer is enough to move on from him. 

So he did make it back to practice today.  Red non-contact jersey but he's back and he should be playing Sunday. He said himself he'd be surprised if he does not play and Pagano said something along the lines of he should or would get his first contact Sunday.

This is incredibly good news. Originally when he got hurt I penciled in week 8 but latest reports from a week ago seemed to indicate he was a few weeks away.  I felt like he either made it back week 8 or if not he would unlikely return week 9 before the bye so it was week 8 or 11. This is big, for me anyway but I think he's a legit WR1 candidate.

Normally I like to hold out players returning from long layoff and make sure they are good to go. I'm putting him in all lineups.

On 9/24/2016 at 9:11 AM, Ministry of Pain said:

In Redraft I simply cut him. It's gonna be a month before he can move and another month before he is probably 90-95% back, he won't be 100% until he has the off season to recover.

:thumbup:

Dr. MOP.  

• Like 1

I will be very surprised if they run this guy out there Sunday after wearing a red jersey Tuesday and coming off a broken scapula.  Will need to see more out of him today and tomorrow in practice to have any kind of faith.  That being said, now is definitely the time to grab him if avl.  

5 minutes ago, chad in Indy said:

Can a doctor chime in.  Why is he in a non-contact jersey?  I thought a broken bone was either healed or not healed.  I didn't think it was like a soft-tissue injury where there is a greater chance of reinjury.

Probably just playing it safe.  Why subject the guy to hits in practice?

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

He got dropped last week I scooped him up. Probably overpaid on my FABB. Don't need him right away.

1. he should not have been dropped - especially 2 weeks away from playing. i don't get why people will hold a player for a month then drop him right before he returns. 

2. Whatever you spent should be worth it. Indy has been desperate for a 3rd receiving option and Moncrief is a weapon. 

• Like 1

Ugh...he was dropped and I want to pick him up, but no idea who to drop.

QB: Carr/Big Ben

RB:  Stewart, West, Gore, Hill, J Rodgers, Booker, White, Gillislee

WR:  A Brown, Evans, AR15, Fitzgerald, Landry

4 minutes ago, rascal said:

With you RB depth, I'd drop Gillislee now.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, rascal said:

Gillislee is an easy drop. That situation is a cluster and Glee has a hurt hammy. 

That'd be my take anyway. Your team - I won't tell you what to do. 

40 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Whatever you spent should be worth it. Indy has been desperate for a 3rd receiving option and Moncrief is a weapon. 

I think they have been desperate for a second option and coming into the season I viewed Moncrief as more 1b than #2. Still view it that way if his shoulder is good to go.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, menobrown said:

I think they have been desperate for a second option and coming into the season I viewed Moncrief as more 1b than #2. Still view it that way if his shoulder is good to go.

Well, yes - I agree - in fact you basically just quoted me in the Doyle topic when advising to pick him up. 

Now Doyle becomes relegated to 3rd option and Moncrief takes over 1-2 duties with Hilton. Though that might take him a week to get back up to speed...TBD

2 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Gillislee is an easy drop. That situation is a cluster and Glee has a hurt hammy. 

:hijacked:

He might be the drop but it's entirely possible he is starting for the Bills the next two weeks and if they keep being ignorant with McCoy maybe longer.

He practiced today limited, with foot. Have not heard anything on his hammy.

2 minutes ago, menobrown said:

:hijacked:

He might be the drop but it's entirely possible he is starting for the Bills the next two weeks and if they keep being ignorant with McCoy maybe longer.

He practiced today limited, with foot. Have not heard anything on his hammy.

rofl - sorry for the hijack. It was the other guy - I was just trying to help him with his dilemma. ;) 

And you're correct - it's foot not hammy.  Damn, there i go again. :doh: 

1 minute ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Well, yes - I agree - in fact you basically just quoted me in the Doyle topic when advising to pick him up. 

Now Doyle becomes relegated to 3rd option and Moncrief takes over 1-2 duties with Hilton. Though that might take him a week to get back up to speed...TBD

Be interesting, well for me anyway, to see if Dorsett can be more productive with the favorable matchup's that Moncrief can help him get. PD has been a total dud but his most active game of the year was the one full week he played with Moncrief. But so long as Allen is out and Doyle is primary TE and it's not split between the two it would be hard not to see him as at worst case option #3.

I do think Moncrief cuts into Doyle just a little just because he provides that size dimension the other WR's don't have and with that the ability to go over the middle, but still view Doyle as a TE1 until Allen gets back and mucks it up.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, menobrown said:

Be interesting, well for me anyway, to see if Dorsett can be more productive with the favorable matchup's that Moncrief can help him get. PD has been a total dud but his most active game of the year was the one full week he played with Moncrief. But so long as Allen is out and Doyle is primary TE and it's not split between the two it would be hard not to see him as at worst case option #3.

I do think Moncrief cuts into Doyle just a little just because he provides that size dimension the other WR's don't have and with that the ability to go over the middle, but still view Doyle as a TE1 until Allen gets back and mucks it up.

I agree - and Allen's injury had the look of a multi-week high ankle type, maybe @Dr. Brew can lend insight there, but IIRC those can sideline a player for weeks if not months.  And it's not like Allen was tearing things up when he was playing. 

I think it goes Hilton/Monceief 1/1A, Doyle -------> PD.  Dude did nothing to endear himself to Luck while others were injured, I don't see him suddenly regaining anyone's trust now that there are more reliable targets on the field. 

3 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I agree - and Allen's injury had the look of a multi-week high ankle type, maybe @Dr. Brew can lend insight there, but IIRC those can sideline a player for weeks if not months.  And it's not like Allen was tearing things up when he was playing. 

I think it goes Hilton/Monceief 1/1A, Doyle -------> PD.  Dude did nothing to endear himself to Luck while others were injured, I don't see him suddenly regaining anyone's trust now that there are more reliable targets on the field. 

High ankle is what I would agree with... they have him down for 3-5 weeks, which is about right, but I would think more on the high side of that. It's encouraging that he is off crutches but he had a pretty significant sprain. That will take 2 weeks to heal on its own and then you have to get back to running, jumping, cutting, etc. That will be painful for a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if 6 weeks is what it ends up being. He may actually play but it'll be 1-2 months before he is effective and back to his old self. 

Edited by Dr. Brew
  • Like 1
Just now, Dr. Brew said:

High ankle is what I would agree with... they have him down for 3-5 weeks, which is about right, but I would think more on the high side of that. It's encouraging that he is off crutches but he had a pretty significant sprain. That will take 2 weeks to heal on its own and then you have to get back to running, jumping, cutting, etc. That will be painful for a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if 6 weeks is what it ends up being. He may actually play but it'll be 1-2 months before he is effective and back to his old self. 

Thanks for the insight - Doyle seemed to be the favored receiving option of the two in the RZ as well.  

And yeah - if Allen isn't running at full speed even when he comes back it might just be to block in their 2 TE sets.