What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Don't sleep on Donte Moncrief: Draft Day steal (1 Viewer)

Buck Bradcanon said:
9 targets.  4 for 41 and a TD.   45 yard TD called back for a hold that would have made for a monster day.  Definitely didn't appear limited or on a snap count of any sort.

Solid WR2 for ROS.
If Hilton is bothered by the hamstring injury, Moncrief could be a WR1. 

gethugefast1 said:
pre-season 'expert' articles had Crief possibly surpassing TY as #1 or 1a & 1b
Right and also the stats told us that this had already happened going back to last half of 2015-16 season.

Right and also the stats told us that this had already happened going back to last half of 2015-16 season.
All I remember last year was Moncrief started hot, faced Denver and Carolina in back to back weeks and did not do well than lost Luck and his regression continued.

Just for kicks going back to beginning of 2015 season I went back and looked and see that Moncrief and Hilton have had 9 full games with Luck as their QB, while both were active, since that time frame. I'd be willing to be Hilton led in targets, probably yards and catches as well but I did not add any of that up. But in terms of fantasy points, thinking PPR, Moncrief has scored 129 in those 9 games to Hilton's 120.  I think both outperform that per game output this year but does go to show in terms of fantasy it's more of a 1A/1B situation. This is not surprising  and I was in a few drafts this year where people took Moncrief over Hilton.

Last edited by a moderator:
It'd be nice if he caught some passes that aren't TDs once in a while too.  7 catches in 2 weeks doesn't have me doing cartwheels, even with 2 being for scores.
He's just warming up. He was leading the team in targets when he got hurt IIRC....he's been out a while. He's tired. I think the targets and catches pick up as he gets his conditioning back to game speed. 

creepythinman said:
Moncrief was an underthrow on a wide open fly pattern away from a 100yd/2 TD game, this coming a week after Moncrief had a 50yd TD called back due to penalty...so Moncrief was fairly close to 2 consecutive 100yd/2 TD games. And Moncrief is clearly the preferred redzone option over Hilton due to his size.

Pretty BOOMish.
Moncrief is the almost boom. Hilton is the boom.

I want to bench him but I would have to start brate or Smallwood as a flex. It depends on any new news they come out with in the next hour or two of how limited he might be. If Mathews was for sure inactive then I'd probably go with Smallwood but he isn't at the moment

Benching him with Luck out.  Colts O-line is terrible and Pitt should feast (watch out for my reverse jinx though)

I think I am going to stick with Tyler Boyd considering the questionable tag and the backup qb.  I am sure he will blow up on my bench.

All this guy does is catch TD's. Glad I started him...I'm a bit worried about the O line. But I was thinking garbage time points when I put him in lineup. I'll take the TD in 2nd quarter,and hoping for more i garbage time...Watch it be his only catch of the night,lol. knock on wood.....

Maybe will end up getting a catch later yet but has put up 16.5 and I ended up sticking with him so pretty happy. Did have one bad drop tho which woulda been another 20 yards or so

Depending on how bad Hilton's back is,he could be a solid WR1 the next few games or longer...I hope nothing is severely wrong with Hilton as I own him in a couple other leagues. But in my big $$$$ league I own Moncrief,so I hope Hilton doesn't rush trying to come back to fast.

Targets just aren't there. Remove TDs and nothing's there. WR version of L. Murray earlier in the year where TDs masked mediocrity.

Next two games: HOU, @MN

Not great.

It seems like every time they get around the 5 yard line they run the same play and he gets a TD every time so he ends up with a decent floor even tho he isn't getting as many targets as he should. I just have a feeling he might be one of those guys that is on the roster of a bunch of championship rosters. He has shown in the past that he can have some huge games and he hasn't yet this year so during the fantasy playoffs just might be the time

Moncrief is on a nice  run of TD'S. However I'd much rather own T.Y. Hilton. Moncrief is overrated like Hilton is underrated. 

Moncrief is in that WR25-WR30 range but lots of people have him valued much higher. 

Hilton is around WR5 but people have him valued much lower. Plus Hilton just turned 27 so it's not like he's going anywhere anytime soon. 

This guy is one of the most overrated fantasy darlings out there. TD dependent WR 2/3. And with that playoff slate the next two weeks. Good luck. 

Own him and stashed him but since his return I have watched closely. This guy is strictly a possession type WR. I don't see a lot of explosiveness in his game. Any week he doesn't score a TD you are in real danger. As a WR3/4 at most for owners rolling into the playoffs he feels a little shaky.

My WRs are very mediocre on the team I own him...Tate and Cobb were my other starters most of the season and then I shuffle WW guys in the 4, 5 and 6 slots depending on who is running hot. But suddenly Malcolm Mitchell And Taylor Gabriel seem like better plays in the 3 slot with a little more upside. Indy match up next 2 weeks terrible. That said they are fighting for the division and I always feel it brings the best out and Luck is a huge upgrade over what the Texans have. 

Lot of moving pieces here. I think what owners feel is part realization that Moncrief has a ceiling and 20 points would be a big week for him or might require 2 TDs for him to really have a major game. For some owners Moncrief is perfect if you need a solid 10-12 to go behind more Substantial WR1 types. 

Own him and stashed him but since his return I have watched closely. This guy is strictly a possession type WR. I don't see a lot of explosiveness in his game. Any week he doesn't score a TD you are in real danger. As a WR3/4 at most for owners rolling into the playoffs he feels a little shaky.

My WRs are very mediocre on the team I own him...Tate and Cobb were my other starters most of the season and then I shuffle WW guys in the 4, 5 and 6 slots depending on who is running hot. But suddenly Malcolm Mitchell And Taylor Gabriel seem like better plays in the 3 slot with a little more upside. Indy match up next 2 weeks terrible. That said they are fighting for the division and I always feel it brings the best out and Luck is a huge upgrade over what the Texans have. 

Lot of moving pieces here. I think what owners feel is part realization that Moncrief has a ceiling and 20 points would be a big week for him or might require 2 TDs for him to really have a major game. For some owners Moncrief is perfect if you need a solid 10-12 to go behind more Substantial WR1 types. 
I watched this situation closely last night and Moncrief seemed like the 3rd read most of the time. It was Hilton, TEs, then Moncrief. 

Like I said above, I have this bad feeling that come week 16 after a couple bad matchups and the TDs possibly dry up owners will react the same way they did with L. Murray earlier this year when that TD dependent guy's TDs dried up. Semi worthless.

With HOU and MN on tap I am seriously considering dropping. I felt lucky to grab him off waivers during his injury stint and stick him in my #3 WR or Flex spot. But now it's crunch time. I see M. Mitchell and other options with stronger matchups. 

Just don't see the upside. And at this time of year you need ceiling (with floor) to win it all.

I watched this situation closely last night and Moncrief seemed like the 3rd read most of the time. It was Hilton, TEs, then Moncrief. 

Like I said above, I have this bad feeling that come week 16 after a couple bad matchups and the TDs possibly dry up owners will react the same way they did with L. Murray earlier this year when that TD dependent guy's TDs dried up. Semi worthless.

With HOU and MN on tap I am seriously considering dropping. I felt lucky to grab him off waivers during his injury stint and stick him in my #3 WR or Flex spot. But now it's crunch time. I see M. Mitchell and other options with stronger matchups. 

Just don't see the upside. And at this time of year you need ceiling (with floor) to win it all.
Full agreement. Right now maybe half the teams in most leagues are in the playoffs right now. Many are set at WR and don't churn the bottom of the roster the way we do in here. I am thinking about sending Moncrief on his way. I can't play him vs MN and I luckily don't have to play this week, sit back and watch. If I'm not playing him Week 15 which I'm likely not then what am I doing even rostering the guy?

Full agreement. Right now maybe half the teams in most leagues are in the playoffs right now. Many are set at WR and don't churn the bottom of the roster the way we do in here. I am thinking about sending Moncrief on his way. I can't play him vs MN and I luckily don't have to play this week, sit back and watch. If I'm not playing him Week 15 which I'm likely not then what am I doing even rostering the guy?
WR is the most volatile roster spot.  Moncrief can provide predictable points while I swing for the fences with a WR3 like Malcom Mitchell or Tyvek Hill or Sammy Watkins.  Indy is still fighting for NFL playoffs, so will be competing unlike other mail-it-in teams.

If you feel confident in making the championships, you roster him on the bench for that expected shootout vs Oakland in week 16.

I saw Revis on him for much of last night, and while diminished, he can still effectively cover - he also committed OPI on at least one of Moncrief's targets.

With the Colts getting up 2 scores early followed by the Jets benching Fitzmagic, that game is hardly a normal one to have a lot of take-always from. If picture.

IMO Moncrief still has a higher ceiling in games the Colts are competing in. He may well have a 6-8/100+/2 game in him yet this year.  He's my ride or die WR3.

if he lets me down, so be it. Try to my traditional playoff strategy, Imma dance with the girl that brought me.  ;)   

Any time I've deviated from this in the past I've been burned. 

Unfortunately I used D. Lewis in flex over Moncrief this week.  I honestly don't see how I can drop him though; he's had a TD every game since coming back from injury, correct? 6? and even had the only team TD in one of them.  He's definitely a key part of their RZ playbook.  And I just don't see who on the wire I would trust to swap him out for...

You can always tell when people see a player on national TV for the first time. They act like what they just saw is the only game outcome that has or will ever happened.

Users who are viewing this thread