What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Don't sleep on Donte Moncrief: Draft Day steal (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Donte Moncrief - WR - Colts

Third-round WR Donte Moncrief is already listed ahead of Griff Whalen and Da'Rick Rogers on the Colts' depth chart.

A third-round pick out of Ole Miss, Moncrief will be 20 years old for two more days and is ahead of veterans after a hot start to training camp. With Hakeem Nicks showing poorly in terms of practice performance and conditioning, it's not inconceivable that Moncrief could play snaps very early in his rookie year. He looks to be Indianapolis' No. 4 wide receiver already, behind Reggie Wayne, T.Y. Hilton, and possible free agent flop Nicks.

Source: ESPN.com

Aug 4 - 4:58 PM

Seems like the early buzz has been strong. I'm not sweating Rogers or Nicks at this point unless Hakeem can suddenly regain his old form.

With Wayne being ancient, this looks like it could be the Hilton and Moncrief show as early as 2015.

Moncrief is the kind of guy I would look to grab cheap in a best ball league. Could catch a few bombs this year.

Did notice Rogers was inactive. Donte caught a pass for nine yards, but was only in on five plays.
This may change with Nicks being a total shell of his old self.
It's not so much Nicks as it is the play calling. Nicks is like the 5 or 6 option in that offense. Wayne, Hilton, Fleener, Allen, and Bradshaw are above Nicks in the pecking order. I own Moncrief in several leagues and I believe it would make no difference if he were in the game. Next year will be Moncrief's time to shine.

Rotoworld:

Colts rookie Donte Moncrief secured 4-of-5 targets for 55 yards in Sunday's Week 3 win over Jacksonville.

The third-round pick added seven yards on a carry. Moncrief saw extended playing time in three-receiver sets after T.Y. Hilton exited with a second-quarter ankle injury, and never returned. Moncrief is a sensational athlete. He's more of a Dynasty league prospect than fantasy WR3, but could appear on the WR4/5 radar if Hilton misses multiple games.

Sep 21 - 4:50 PM

Rotoworld:

Donte Moncrief out-snapped Hakeem Nicks 23-19 in Sunday's Week 7 win over the Bengals.

Much of this game was garbage time, but we saw Moncrief playing ahead of Nicks in some higher-leverage situations also. The freakishly talented rookie is the future while Nicks, on a one-year deal, appears on his last legs. Moncrief should be on re-draft watch lists and all Dynasty radars.

Oct 19 - 6:17 PM

Obviously we all like him long term, but what about specifically 2015 for those of us in keeper leagues? With Wayne and Nicks both being FA after this year, what are the chances of either being brought back or neither coming back? Surely Wayne's injury has to factor in even more now, and I can't see any motivation for Indy bringing back Nicks at this point. Rogers and Brazill don't appear to be much of a threat....am I crazy to think there's a >75% chance that Moncrief is Luck's WR2 next year?

I would suspect they bring back Wayne on a friendly deal and let him play out his last years as a Colt. Nicks will be disgruntled and will leave regardless of what they offer (unless it's a silly offer that totally over pays him).

I could see 2015 with Moncrief as the big outside receiver, Wayne as the possession receiver opposite Moncrief, and Hilton in the slot with Fleener and Allen as TEs. The makings of another highly productive offense in 2015.

Rotoworld:

Speaking Thursday, Colts OC Pep Hamilton called third-round WR Donte Moncrief "ahead of schedule."
Moncrief will be in for an increased Week 8 role if Reggie Wayne (elbow) can't go. "He’s a guy that we feel like at any given moment we can plug in and he can perform," Hamilton said of his rookie wideout. Moncrief is an intriguing talent — and out-snapped Hakeem Nicks 23-19 in Week 7 — but is still a tough sell as anything more than a WR5. He's more of a daily-league dart throw than re-draft option.

Source: Kevin Bowen on Twitter
Oct 23 - 1:54 PM

Just curious if people are scooping Moncrief up off the waiver wire.

His redraft value may be limited with Wayne out maybe one or two weeks. Dynasty/keeper is obviously another issue.

His redraft value may be limited with Wayne out maybe one or two weeks. Dynasty/keeper is obviously another issue.
Trying to find room for him. If he's worthwhile now is the time, as if he shows Sunday he'll be a hot pickup. I just can't justify any cuts for at most 2-3 weeks production.

zamboni said:

I wouldn't expect him to get added in any redraft leagues unless he has a huge game. His short term value is too limited. But I'm adding him in a keeper league where I'm out of contention and am looking solely to next season. There probably aren't many other guys with his upside given the combo of talent/situation that are still available in the average dynasty/keeper league. I'm not expecting anything this year but if he opens next season as the #2 in Indy that could present some real value.

I grabbed him in a large 14 team league as a FA. 10 starters + K and D so pretty much everyone is already owned. I don't expect much, but anything helps in this type of league.

If you're like me, and you've blown 90% of your FAAB by now, and this guy is on your wire, the time is right now to pick him up off waivers. Look for some dead wood to lop off. Map out your bye week projected starters and you'll be able to find some players you can cull. In my case, I dropped S. Jackson for him and felt pretty good about it.

If you have just a few dollars of FAAB left, and Moncrief goes off this weekend, you missed out on him. The time for pre-emptive moves is right now.

Rotoworld:

Reggie Wayne (elbow) has been ruled out for Week 8 against the Steelers.

The 5-2 Colts sit comfortably atop the AFC South and Wayne was looking tired in recent weeks. He then landed awkwardly on his elbow last Sunday against the Bengals and missed the entire practice week. Look for T.Y. Hilton and Hakeem Nicks to be every-down receivers, with Griff Whalen and Donte Moncrief picking up extra work. Moncrief may be the biggest beneficiary. He was already eating into Nicks' snaps and has gobs of upside. He's not an advisable re-draft start, but worth a dart throw in daily leagues. Wayne will eye a Week 9 return.

Oct 24 - 12:53 PM

Source: Stephen Holder on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Coach Chuck Pagano was "noncommittal" Wednesday when asked who will start in place of Reggie Wayne (elbow) against the Steelers.

Donte Moncrief played more Week 7 snaps than Hakeem Nicks, who has appeared done and then some while seeing decreased playing time in recent weeks for Indy. Third-round pick Moncrief offers a lot more big-play ability and upside at this stage of their respective careers. We're guessing Pagano's refusal to name Nicks the starter hints Moncrief has a real chance to get the nod.

Oct 24 - 1:12 PM

Rotoworld:

Coach Chuck Pagano was "noncommittal" Wednesday when asked who will start in place of Reggie Wayne (elbow) against the Steelers.

Donte Moncrief played more Week 7 snaps than Hakeem Nicks, who has appeared done and then some while seeing decreased playing time in recent weeks for Indy. Third-round pick Moncrief offers a lot more big-play ability and upside at this stage of their respective careers. We're guessing Pagano's refusal to name Nicks the starter hints Moncrief has a real chance to get the nod.

Oct 24 - 1:12 PM
My link

Nicks was just dropped in my dynasty league. Debating dropping Shorts from the lineup for Moncrief....may wait a week.

I'm stunned he isn't getting more attention. The way you win these lesgues is to pick these guys up BEFORE they blow up. This may be the last chance for that. I drafted him in dynasty this year and I'm thrilled to see what he can do.

I drafted Moncrief in dynasty too, with the idea that Nicks was a scrub WR on his last year and Wayne is getting up there in age. Pair him up with dynasty's #1 QB and you potentially hit a gold mine. Physically as talented as any WR in this draft, but raw and needed some time to learn the system. All reports out of Indy say he's ahead of schedule. Last week, Moncrief out snapped Nicks for first time this season. Coincidentally Reggie Wayne is out a couple of weeks. Nicks is running in quicksand, looking like his career is toast. Moncrief is in position to vault from WR4 to WR2 on the high octane Colts over the space of just two weeks! This is very exciting news for dynasty owners, as we really weren't expecting the depth chart leap so soon in year one. Redrafts are still sleeping on Moncrief, and he was sitting there for free well after waivers ran. I scooped him up where I could. Tempering optimism for tomorrow, but ROS, he's going to carve out a nice role in that Colts offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. Worth an add in redrafts yet? I'm stuck starting LaFell this week due to byes and my WR core is pretty weak.

Thinking about grabbing him in my dynasty league though, but I'd have to drop Landry and that's a tough call at this point.

Hmmm. Worth an add in redrafts yet? I'm stuck starting LaFell this week due to byes and my WR core is pretty weak.

Thinking about grabbing him in my dynasty league though, but I'd have to drop Landry and that's a tough call at this point.
Yeah, it's tough to decide between them but Luck is much better than Tannehill so I'd lean that way.

im really warming up to him this week. reggie wayne was the 10th most targeted player in the NFL. He avgs around 9 targets per game. Wayne was on the field the 2nd most out of any wr in the league. These snaps and targets have to go somewhere.

Got to drop either Moncrief or Richardson (it will probably be Richardson) in a dynasty league to have a chance at picking up Justin Hunter (who was dropped to the WW this week). I have a feeling that both Hunter and Moncrief blow up this weekend.

I'm stunned he isn't getting more attention. The way you win these lesgues is to pick these guys up BEFORE they blow up. This may be the last chance for that. I drafted him in dynasty this year and I'm thrilled to see what he can do.
I drafted Moncrief in dynasty too, with the idea that Nicks was a scrub WR on his last year and Wayne is getting up there in age. Pair him up with dynasty's #1 QB and you potentially hit a gold mine. Physically as talented as any WR in this draft, but raw and needed some time to learn the system. All reports out of Indy say he's ahead of schedule. Last week, Moncrief out snapped Nicks for first time this season. Coincidentally Reggie Wayne is out a couple of weeks. Nicks is running in quicksand, looking like his career is toast. Moncrief is in position to vault from WR4 to WR2 on the high octane Colts over the space of just two weeks! This is very exciting news for dynasty owners, as we really weren't expecting the depth chart leap so soon in year one. Redrafts are still sleeping on Moncrief, and he was sitting there for free well after waivers ran. I scooped him up where I could. Tempering optimism for tomorrow, but ROS, he's going to carve out a nice role in that Colts offense.
Same here. With top QBs, especially Luck, any WR that has even a modicum of talent needs to be looked at. I held Da'Rick until I was sure he wasn't going to pan out, and it'll be the same with Donte. I think Luck's game is just begging for a big WR to step up and be "the man".

I only started him in one of three leagues, only because I am playing against the Luck owner. I also started Hilton. Luck was his last gasp to catch up. Glad to play defense using Luck's best WR's against my opponent.

Dropped Shorts for him this morning and paid $2 of my remaining $33. :hawkscreech:

Wish I started him, but pretty excited for the rest of season upside.

I had ignored this thread until just a few days ago when I heard Wayne would be out. Thanks for the tip, picked him up as a free agent. Let's do this.

I'm really kicking myself for not picking him up now, almost pulled the trigger just couldn't figure out who to drop (short bench league).

Users who are viewing this thread