What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Sammy Watkins, BAL (1 Viewer)

[SIZE=1pt]Matthew Fairburnhttps://twitter.com/MatthewFairburnhttps://twitter.com/MatthewFairburn[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]@MatthewFairburn (Bills Beatwriter) [/SIZE]·

[SIZE=12pt]Sammy Watkins just blew by Leodis McKelvin down the sideline. EJ Manuel hit him right in stride.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Sammy Watkins just got behind the #Billshttps://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash' second team defense like it was Ohio State's secondary in the Orange Bowl.[/SIZE]
To be fair, at least 33 other NFL receivers have blown by Leodis McKelvin in the last 4 years as well.

OC Zed said:
Raiderfan32904 said:
[SIZE=1pt]Matthew Fairburnhttps://twitter.com/MatthewFairburnhttps://twitter.com/MatthewFairburn[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]@MatthewFairburn (Bills Beatwriter) [/SIZE]·

[SIZE=12pt]Sammy Watkins just blew by Leodis McKelvin down the sideline. EJ Manuel hit him right in stride.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Sammy Watkins just got behind the #Billshttps://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash' second team defense like it was Ohio State's secondary in the Orange Bowl.[/SIZE]
To be fair, at least 33 other NFL receivers have blown by Leodis McKelvin in the last 4 years as well.
It's funny because it's true.

Still, I'm anticipating some exciting plays from Watkins coming up in T-......

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/07/21/buffalo-bills-training-camp-opens/

Speaking of Watkins, hes the belle of the football here. They love him. And they love GM Doug Whaley for overpaying to move up to get Watkins in the first round last May. To move up five spots in the first round, from nine to four, Whaley paid next years first-round and fourth-round picks to Cleveland. Hey Whaley! a fan yelled. Thank you for Watkins! On night one, Watkins was as electric as advertised. Especially interesting was the way he got off jams at the line. He juked lightning-quick on some snaps, and powered into unsuspecting corners on others. You can never let cornerbacks read you, he said later.

So well see if Manuel and Watkins can hit the ground running together. The first team period was a start. Said Manuel: I dont know if you saw him out there, on a slant, stop on a dimeand he just turned the other way, on Gilmore, who I think could be an all-pro corner, and he made the play. The kid is special. I have thought that way since 2010. I was at Florida State, and he was a true freshman at Clemson, and we put our best corner on him, Mike Harris, plays in Jacksonville now. Sammy ran a stop-and-go, and he shakes loose and makes the play, and I said, Who is this kid? So on draft day, Im out at a restaurant with my father in south Florida, and when I saw on TV that we made that trade and drafted him, I jumped out of my chair. C.J. Spiller calls me right away and says, We got our boy! We got our boy! Because wed been talking about it since January. My phone went almost dead, because 18,000 people called me at one time. Its going to be great to watch him grow.

The Sammy Show:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/07/22/sammy-watkins-bills-training-camp-mailbag/

Excerpt:

PITTSFORD, N.Y. Over coffee Monday morning, Buffalo general manager Doug Whaley told me a story about first-round receiver Sammy Watkins reporting, alone, for an offseason practice at the Bills training center at 6:45 a.m. He wanted to get his footwork that hed been taught right, Whaley said. He was out there, alone, before anyone else got there. This is one dedicated player.

You always want to be careful about rookies in training camp, particularly when its not even August, and particularly when theyre playing without full pads and thus not in full contact. So I reminded myself Monday afternoon, midway through Watkins second NFL training-camp practice, that this all meant nothing.

But Watkins owned this practice.

He showed why Whaley surrendered first- and fourth-round picks in the 2015 draft to move up five spots in the first round last May so the Bills could pick him. Smart? Well see. The price was beyond exhorbitant, particularly for a team that still plans to key its offense around the running game. Watkins talent is tantalizing. And for a team languishing in sub-mediocrity for the past 14 seasons, his arrivals been like a B-12 shot: energizing.

Ill tell you about four plays that took place in a span of five minutes during an 11-on-11 scrimmage Monday afternoon, in Clemson-style summer heat and humidity here in central New York.

One: At the snap of the ball, the 6-1, 205-pound Watkins charged off the line at starting left corner Leodis McKelvin. He steamrolled McKelvin. Flattened him. As McKelvin fell, he dragged Watkins with him. Had this been a game, McKelvin would have been called for holding. Watkins was in the right, blasting McKelvin in the five-yard bump zone. And McKelvin did all he could, holding on for dear life and taking Watkins down with him.

Two: On the next snap, Watkins charged off the line and McKelvin gave him his space, and Watkins pivoted left, alone across the middle. McKelvin was six yards behind Watkins when E.J. Manuel found him, wide open, running free on a crossing route.

Three: Jittering off the line, Watkins got free of the corner (I didnt see who it was) and Manuel lofted a perfect ball 35 yards down the right sideline into Watkins hands.

Four: In traffic over the middle, four players jumped for a high ball. Watkins, a good three feet off the ground, came down with it.

Watkins got poked in the eye late in practice and was down for a few moments. Good for the Bills he got up and seemed fine.

I dont know if Manuel and Watkins are going to be able to keep up the playmaking pace. Manuel has to have faith in Watkins and second-year receiver Robert Woods to make plays down the field, even when theyre covered. Well see if he can do it. But on a broiling July Monday, Watkins was the goods. He has surprising power for a player his size, and hes not afraid to use it, and hes not intimidated by good veteran corners. I left here liking what I saw out of a player the Bills need desperately to catch the Patriots.

Last edited by a moderator:
OC Zed said:
Raiderfan32904 said:
Matthew Fairburnhttps://twitter.com/MatthewFairburn@MatthewFairburn (Bills Beatwriter) ·

Sammy Watkins just blew by Leodis McKelvin down the sideline. EJ Manuel hit him right in stride.

Sammy Watkins just got behind the #Billshttps://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash' second team defense like it was Ohio State's secondary in the Orange Bowl.
While we're being fair, isn't McKelvin still recovering from a hip injury and not at full speed?

Is it an impressive one-handed catch or an unimpressive route? If he didn't lose his balance while running the route, he wouldn't have needed to make that catch.

Is it an impressive one-handed catch or an unimpressive route? If he didn't lose his balance while running the route, he wouldn't have needed to make that catch.
Can't it be both?

Edit: I think the play is impressive even with the flubbed route. Every receiver is going to trip and stumble sometimes. Not every receiver is going to be able to recover and make a play like that when they do.

I agree, but it's a good example of "making it look difficult." If he had just run the route cleanly then there would've been no need for the highlight reel catch and no sharing of the video on the Internet. Ironic because that would have been a "better" play.

You will never see Watkins do this in his lifetime. He's no Andre Johnson.
Agreed, but he is not weak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj7rznUYhvA
:lol: at bringing maryland's secondary into this as a comparable... it's college... and maryland no less.
He must have had trouble finding the footage of Watkins against the Arizona Cardinals.

There are only clips of each against their peers. There was a time when Andre Johnson had only broken tackles in college as well. Watkins was only 20 years old in that clip.

Anyway, it's an interesting point to bring up with regards to Watkins as Watkins looks to be one of the best, and especially strongest, RAC receivers to come out of the draft in the last few years. His bulk and strength are two major positives of his. If any WR prospect is going to make that kind of play in the NFL some day, it's Watkins.

I agree, but it's a good example of "making it look difficult." If he had just run the route cleanly then there would've been no need for the highlight reel catch and no sharing of the video on the Internet. Ironic because that would have been a "better" play.
Most rookies aren't Torry Holt in his prime route running technicians.

There will be times he does run a good route, and the ball might be thrown in a place that is difficult to catch, so nice to know he has good hands (though I already thought that, plays like this are just confirmation, albeit on a small scale).

I think you're kind of missing the real point, here. It's July. Whether Sammy Watkins slipped on a route or not doesn't really matter. He's going to slip on some routes as a pro. He's going to make some good catches as a pro. We could argue about whether the fact that he slipped was more representative of his pro potential, or whether the fact that he made it up afterwards is more representative, but it's an argument that entirely misses the point.

The point here- the real point- is that it's late July and we can finally watch football players making ridiculous football plays. I mean, that play! After a summer of NBA and World Cup and Golf and lord only knows what else! It's so beautiful I could cry.

I guess I'm the only one who wast blown away with that catch? Jesh, let's get to real football ASAP.

I'm predicting Watkins to be one of this year's top ADP climbers. As a Bills fan, I hope it ends up being justified.

Code:
As a FF player, I hope it drives Woods' value down.

Rotoworld:

Sammy Watkins - WR - Bills

Through four days of Bills training camp, first-round pick Sammy Watkins has "continued to dazzle ... even burning top cornerback Stephon Gilmore quite easily on a few occasions."

WGR 550 Buffalo's Joe Buscaglia is doing daily practice reports live from Bills camp, and on two of the first four days Buscaglia has named Watkins the MVP of workouts. While Watkins is undoubtedly an exciting talent, we remain skeptical he'll live up to his mid-seventh-round fantasy Average Draft Position with suspect quarterback play on the NFL's run-heaviest team. Sammy is being drafted before Golden Tate, Kendall Wright, Reggie Wayne, and Eric Decker.

Source: WGR 550

Jul 24 - 6:37 PM

:doh:

Another comp I've noted before, in addition to a Roddy White/Percy Harvin hybrid, is Michael Crabtree... if he had run a 10.4 100 m. as a prep. If Crabtree had participated in the combine and ran a 4.43, he might have gone higher than 1.10, and if he had the suddenness, burst, explosiveness and speed of Watkins (to go with his strength, physicality and RB-like RAC ability, which overlaps with Watkins skill set), he would be a different animal, and imo ranked higher.

Anquan Boldin bulked up, but was about 6'1", 215 lbs. in college (Crabtree's listed height and weight now), both were highly recruited prep running QBs. Boldin may have been a bit thicker and stronger than Watkins in college (and like Crabtree, maybe more elusive), but as with Crabtree, again, Boldin would be a different animal if he had run a 10.4 100 m. in high school, a 4.43 at his combine, and had the kind of open field speed Watkins flashes.

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
This kid is either making insane catches or CBs look silly every single day. And he's doing it against some pretty good CBs too.

Bills training camp: Sammy Watkins a star; will he make EJ Manuel better?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24638260/bills-training-camp-sammy-watkins-a-star-will-he-make-ej-manuel-better

Excerpt:

ROCHESTER, N.Y. -- The legend of Sammy Watkins is growing by the day. Out in western New York, where the Bills have languished in mediocrity (at best) for so long, he has already become a cause celebre less than a week into his first NFL training camp.

The rookie wide receiver has wowed the overflow crowds at St. John Fisher College for night practices here with an array of explosive moves and one-handed circus catches. He is the embodiment of a hope this fan base so badly wants to project on a team that annually ends up finishing somewhere right around 6-10 (they've won six games in each of the last three seasons and four of the last five).

Yes, it's very early in the young man's career, but Watkins has been everything the Bills could have hoped for and more, thus far. That is of no small magnitude considering the organization gave up a ransom to move up in the first round to select the Clemson product, essentially doubling down on the surprise drafting of quarterback EJ Manuel a year ago and raising the ante that Buffalo will return to the postseason for the first time since 1999.

"Sammy is as advertised, and actually even better than advertised because of everything he does off field," said second-year general manager Doug Whaley, who has defied convention that most young general managers make conservative moves by going bold in two straight drafts. "His preparation, his want to be the best, his professionalism. He is wise beyond his years."

No one is going to get too overjoyed about a string of July practices, of course -- the Bills were the first NFL team on the field as they are participating in the Hall of Fame game next weekend -- and, no matter how great Watkins may be, there is also a major caveat involved in that Manuel must be markedly better than his rookie season (and better than he has shown in some rough practice sessions).

Watkins and Manuel will be lumped together, their fates intertwined, at least in the short term. For a team on which offense has remained a cause of concern for quite some time the futures of Whaley and coach Doug Marrone will be judged in no small degree on whether this duo of youngsters can actually lead the Bills to winning seasons. Add in the specter of uncertainty with the team currently for sale, and you don't have to spend much time up here to realize the future better be the present.

Whaley believed that despite such a long playoff drought, he could afford to trade future picks and target specific skill position players high in the draft, given that his predecessor, Buddy Nix, focused significant energy rebuilding the team from the inside out, as is the norm, addressing offensive and defensive line. Basically, the Bills are gambling that they are closer than many think (admittedly, you can count me in that group as I remain a skeptic on Manuel), and that the quarterback and the wide receiver will put them over the top. "I can see why people don't believe -- it's been 14 years of futility," Whaley said. "I absolutely get that. But we feel like we have a chance."

Watkins plays a dependent position, and sure, his catching radius and acrobatic skills can allow him to haul in a fair share of wayward passes, but that alone won't solve accuracy issues from the QB. For all of Watkins' immense gifts, tremendous height is not one of them. There are limitations to what he can do. But surely the presence of a game-changing receiver would be a massive boost, and if Watkins can continue to deliver these kinds of results on the field and in the meeting rooms and in the weight room, then Whaley's belief that he was the best player in this draft might be realized.

"What we thought about him, and what he would do for EJ, has become evident on the field at practice," Whaley said. "He gives confidence to EJ and gives confidence to our offensive coordinator and in the big picture also affects how we think defensive coordinators are going to try to attack us."

Throughout the offseason, as they researched Watkins, the Bills' coaches and scouts heard Clemson coaches gush about just about everything the kid did. Seemed almost too good to be true, and NFL folks know understand that the more a program can get kids drafted high, the better it is for those college coaches. So, you still want to see it for yourself, and when Watkins was the first person at the practice facility for the opening of rookie camp this spring, running routes and trying to master concepts on his own in the field house at 6:45 a.m., "that's all you really need to see," Whaley said.

For Watkins, that was no anomaly. He knows that the offense he ran at Clemson was more rudimentary in many respects than what is required at this level, and mastering route concepts and the playbook would be imperative. He has made that a big part of daily routine, which continued in the time between the end of OTAs and the start of camp.

"I still get up at 6 o'clock now," Watkins said. "Get up early, stretch my body, get my body going, eat breakfast, enjoy some down time, sit and chill and then get ready for practice."

Said Marrone: "He's probably the first player up every morning, and then you also see him working on the field after practice. He's really humble, and he's a hard worker. He's earned it. He's been everything you hope for."

Watkins said he feels much more at ease in this offense now from when it was first being presented to him and installed in the spring, and with each electrifying display at practice, his comfort level is clearly growing.

"I feel pretty good," he said. "My confidence is up where I need to be at. It's feeling more like college now in that I feel like I can take ownership of my job. I'm starting to be more relaxed on the field now."

For his part, Manuel told reporters after a rough finish to Friday's session that he is "very comfortable" in this offense, and that, in terms of areas to improve, it comes down to "just building better rapport with my receivers."

Marrone seems pleased with Manuel's progress.

"I think he's a lot better than he was a year ago," he said.

Consistency has still eluded him at the start of this camp, and there will be no shortage of pressure to produce right away, especially now with the Bills loaded in the backfield and having several promising young pass catchers (expect Robert Woods to build off a strong rookie campaign, and if burner Marquise Goodwin can stay healthy he can stretch the field for others).

While the rest of the roster might be playoff-ready, if the quarterback is not then the organization's growth will be stunted. Manuel failed to complete over 56 percent of his passes in six of his 10 starts as a rookie (while on average asked to throw a modest 30 times a game), tossing 11 touchdown passes to nine interceptions. Injuries robbed him of invaluable learning time, and while there were no shortage of rough patches, Manuel did display guts and an ability to rally the team late at times to pull off comebacks, a trait that usually only comes with age.

Time will tell if Watkins is the cog to hasten the overall offensive maturation of this unit. If he puts up a rookie-of-the-year season, it would hardly come as a shock. But if it comes during yet another six-win season, might that come at a price?

Sammy is looking so good that I'm excited even though I only own Manuel. Excited through association. Even journeyman McCown looked like a stud last year.

I still stand by my comparison and the thread subject that he reminds me of Andre Johnons. Can run through tackles, has unreal hands, can take the top off a defence but is going to be an all purpose route running WR that will be moved around a lot. Mini AJ.

The only thing is, AJ is taller, bigger, faster and more explosive (I don't know what he would time now, but he was at a comparable stage of development). So he is different from Watkins as a comp by several variables.

A faster Crabtree (in his last 8 games with Kaepernick in 2012, including the playoffs, he was something like a top 3-5 WR) keeps the size in Watkins ballpark and adjusts for speed. Roddy White's size combined with some of Harvin's more explosive open field running skills also keeps the size comp more "comparable".

If AJ had been 6'1", 210 lbs., would he still be AJ? I think he would still be really good, but maybe not as good.

Faust said:
Bills training camp: Sammy Watkins a star; will he make EJ Manuel better?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24638260/bills-training-camp-sammy-watkins-a-star-will-he-make-ej-manuel-better

Excerpt:

Throughout the offseason, as they researched Watkins, the Bills' coaches and scouts heard Clemson coaches gush about just about everything the kid did. Seemed almost too good to be true, and NFL folks know understand that the more a program can get kids drafted high, the better it is for those college coaches. So, you still want to see it for yourself, and when Watkins was the first person at the practice facility for the opening of rookie camp this spring, running routes and trying to master concepts on his own in the field house at 6:45 a.m., "that's all you really need to see," Whaley said.

For Watkins, that was no anomaly. He knows that the offense he ran at Clemson was more rudimentary in many respects than what is required at this level, and mastering route concepts and the playbook would be imperative. He has made that a big part of daily routine, which continued in the time between the end of OTAs and the start of camp.

"I still get up at 6 o'clock now," Watkins said. "Get up early, stretch my body, get my body going, eat breakfast, enjoy some down time, sit and chill and then get ready for practice."

Said Marrone: "He's probably the first player up every morning, and then you also see him working on the field after practice. He's really humble, and he's a hard worker. He's earned it. He's been everything you hope for."

Watkins said he feels much more at ease in this offense now from when it was first being presented to him and installed in the spring, and with each electrifying display at practice, his comfort level is clearly growing.

"I feel pretty good," he said. "My confidence is up where I need to be at. It's feeling more like college now in that I feel like I can take ownership of my job. I'm starting to be more relaxed on the field now."
I think these details about work ethic belong alongside ongoing debate over Watkins's height/weight and whether he has "elite" athletic attributes. I'm not sure if dedication to craft comes up as a consideration enough with WRs unless it's to explain why a height/weight/speed prototype isn't panning out.

The only thing is, AJ is taller, bigger, faster and more explosive (I don't know what he would time now, but he was at a comparable stage of development). So he is different from Watkins as a comp by several variables.

A faster Crabtree (in his last 8 games with Kaepernick in 2012, including the playoffs, he was something like a top 3-5 WR) keeps the size in Watkins ballpark and adjusts for speed. Roddy White's size combined with some of Harvin's more explosive open field running skills also keeps the size comp more "comparable".

If AJ had been 6'1", 210 lbs., would he still be AJ? I think he would still be really good, but maybe not as good.
All very good points, but I tend to think when we watch Watkins this year and going forward the comparable will be closest with AJ.

In saying that, I would say a combo of Crabtree/Harvin as you are preluding too would suffice as a mini AJ which is what I see out of Watkins.

AJ never really struck me much as a guy who used his height advantage that much.

He's extremely good at getting separation. He's never struck me as a guy that does most of his damage in traffic or tight coverage. Not that height is necessarily a requirement on that front as Anquan Boldin, who is probably one of the best in the NFL in traffic, has shown us.

You, too.

After taking a closer look, I'm not sure AJ's speed is much different from Watkins. It is more impressive, at 225-230 lbs. (weighed the former at his pro day and latter at the combine - height only 1" different). He is more explosive, with a 41" VJ.

I have been making a case that I think Watkins could be in the elite mix in a few years (or if not, just outside, in the top 6-10 range), despite lacking elite size. Andre Johnson isn't as valued in dynasty league's now due to his age, but before Calvin broke out, he and Fitzgerald were among the top overall WRs.

I'm just not sure even Andre Johnson would be the closest comp to Andre Johnson, if he was compressed by 20 lbs. (more so than the height difference) and not as big or strong. But it sounds like we are just using different words to describe something similar. I will say Johnson hasn't traditionally scored TDs at a prolific rate like his talent might suggest. He has 61 in 11 seasons (about 5.5 per year), so that isn't a high bar.

As a rookie, Johnson had 66-976-4, with an uptick in his second year to 79-1,142-6, so the reception and TD totals seem very doable, we'll see about the yardage. In recent years (Johnson's last four 16 game seasons), he was 115-1,575-8, 101-1,569-9, 112-1,598-4 and 109-1,407-5, and projecting for similar numbers through 13 games in 2010. Those numbers are a higher bar, in the future.

Rotoworld:

Sammy Watkins failed to secure any of his three targets in the Hall of Fame game Sunday night.

E.J. Manuel tried to hit Watkins down the left sideline in Prince Amukamara's coverage, but Watkins was badly overthrown. Watkins is likely in for a fairly inefficient, inconsistent first NFL season. His quarterback is a low-percentage passer, and rookie wideouts generally have a difficult time in the pros.

Aug 3 - 8:57 PM

Rotoworld:

Sammy Watkins failed to secure any of his three targets in the Hall of Fame game Sunday night.

E.J. Manuel tried to hit Watkins down the left sideline in Prince Amukamara's coverage, but Watkins was badly overthrown. Watkins is likely in for a fairly inefficient, inconsistent first NFL season. His quarterback is a low-percentage passer, and rookie wideouts generally have a difficult time in the pros.

I feel dumb commenting on every one of these Rotoworld posts but they somehow manage to get stuff wrong in every single one of them it seems.

While I agree that Manuel looks awful and that it could significantly hinder Watkins, Manuel badly UNDERTHREW Watkins, not overthrew him. If they can't even get little details like that correct, it's hard to take them seriously at all.

Sammy is going to be fine. He's not going to be an elite WR. What i mean by that is i don't see him being a consistent top 10 WR. He'll be more in that WR17- WR25 range but he's a virtual lock to hit that level though.

This game means very little but Manual looks like poop.

Rotoworld:

I feel dumb commenting on every one of these Rotoworld posts but they somehow manage to get stuff wrong in every single one of them it seems.

While I agree that Manuel looks awful and that it could significantly hinder Watkins, Manuel badly UNDERTHREW Watkins, not overthrew him. If they can't even get little details like that correct, it's hard to take them seriously at all.
Targeted a whopping 3 times.

Rotoworld:

It certainly looked like he overthrew him here: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=400541294

Users who are viewing this thread