What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Sammy Watkins, BAL (3 Viewers)

Hopefully that'll (health) change next year going forward. Sammy's been dinged up a ton and he's unfairly scrutinized because of his scintillating talent that to this point is still unrealized. People need to remember that Julio started out similarly and we all know how that's ended up. 
My initial thought was that Julio didn't really start out similarly but he actually did.

Julio had 959 & 9 TDs in 13 games as a rookie, 1,198 & 10 TDs in year two (16 games).  He got hurt in his third year and has started 42 of 43 games since.

Sammy went 982 & 6 TDs as a rook (16 games) and 1,047 & 9 TDs in 13 games year two.  Mind you one has nothing to do with the other but they are similar starts.

My initial thought was that Julio didn't really start out similarly but he actually did.

Julio had 959 & 9 TDs in 13 games as a rookie, 1,198 & 10 TDs in year two (16 games).  He got hurt in his third year and has started 42 of 43 games since.

Sammy went 982 & 6 TDs as a rook (16 games) and 1,047 & 9 TDs in 13 games year two.  Mind you one has nothing to do with the other but they are similar starts.
They both had the "Jones fracture" with the accompanying surgery too, right?  Same or very similar injury?

OK, I lied - one more post. lol 

The Julio comparison is interesting, because it's made in defense of Watkins.

But ironically Julio has also been a bit injury prone - as an owner last year and this year, he seems to have recurring lower leg injuries. Ankles, most notably. He maddeningly plays through them (usually to poor results) but you just can't bench him because when he goes BOOM it's a 300 yard game - then he'll be listed as Q with a sore ankle and give you 5 points. 

I don't know how this bodes for Sammy with his foot screws - could be that Sammy gets past this and the foot injury is a long forgotten afterthought. Or it could be that he's plagued with it his entire career. We just don't know at this point.  

Heck, I may even be tempted to invest in Watkins shares again if the ADP is right next year because the talent is so obviously there.  Lord have mercy on me. 

To add fuel to the fire:

Another WR injury for Bills: Marquise Goodwin hurt his wrist late in Thursday's practice and did not finish. That casts some doubt on his status for Sunday in Oakland. Bills already down Robert Woods and Percy Harvin; the next man up at WR would be Justin Hunter or Brandon Tate.  - Per Mike Rodak

Could get ugly real fast, and they may end up force feeding Watkins, even on limited snaps.

Last edited by a moderator:
If he plays, he starts for me. Glad to see him back at practice, and also that they are still being cautious -- save those snaps for game day. Hopefully the lighter workload allows him to take more snaps this game. 

Sounds like the foot truly isn't healthy though, so start him at your own risk (I know I'm firing him up anyways)...

Bills OC Anthony Lynn on Sammy Watkins: "He has a broken bone in his foot. I don't know whether he's gonna play 1 play or 20 plays." Lynn reiterates Watkins' foot is still broken and it's a "pain tolerance deal." - Per Mike Rodak

and

Bills OC Anthony Lynn says he is "not certain" that Sammy Watkins will be able to finish the season without needing another surgery. - Per Mike Rodak

To add fuel to the fire:

Another WR injury for Bills: Marquise Goodwin hurt his wrist late in Thursday's practice and did not finish. That casts some doubt on his status for Sunday in Oakland. Bills already down Robert Woods and Percy Harvin; the next man up at WR would be Justin Hunter or Brandon Tate.  - Per Mike Rodak

Could get ugly real fast, and they may end up force feeding Watkins, even on limited snaps.
More than likely the forcing they do in the passing game will be to McCoy, 2 yards down field with 3 LBs bearing down on him as he catches the ball.

Bills OC Anthony Lynn on Sammy Watkins: "He has a broken bone in his foot. I don't know whether he's gonna play 1 play or 20 plays." Lynn reiterates Watkins' foot is still broken and it's a "pain tolerance deal." - Per Mike Rodak
Is this actually true? I mean, he had surgery in Spring, and was sitting out this entire time to heal and clear his pain thresholds. Is it possible after ~8 weeks that the bone is still broken (bones usually heal in 3-6 weeks depending on bone, severity/complexity of break, etc.)? 

Even though I am sure Sammy is still experiencing pain (to which I would say, suck it the F*$% up already, Sammy, we need you out there -- pull a Phil Eliot and do what you need to do with drugs, pills, shots, anything), I thought this was just a pain management issue, not that the injury may have actually gotten worse after the last game, which now I'm worried about given the language coming out this week. The note on potentially needing another surgery from the OC is not encouraging.

Things to remember about the OC: he isn't a doctor, he doesn't need to tell the truth, and he's looking to confuse their opponent.

If Sammy really does still have a 100% broken bone in his foot, I don't think he'd be playing.

I think Lynn is being obtuse here. If he still had a break he would have never been brought up from IR. Still, starting him this week looks like a Hail Mary kind of play. 

Is this actually true? I mean, he had surgery in Spring, and was sitting out this entire time to heal and clear his pain thresholds. Is it possible after ~8 weeks that the bone is still broken (bones usually heal in 3-6 weeks depending on bone, severity/complexity of break, etc.)? 

Even though I am sure Sammy is still experiencing pain (to which I would say, suck it the F*$% up already, Sammy, we need you out there -- pull a Phil Eliot and do what you need to do with drugs, pills, shots, anything), I thought this was just a pain management issue, not that the injury may have actually gotten worse after the last game, which now I'm worried about given the language coming out this week. The note on potentially needing another surgery from the OC is not encouraging.
After listening to the interview, coupled with the declarations a week or two ago that his foot was 100% healed, I'm not entirely certain I believe the claim that his foot still has a broken bone in it. Who really knows at this point. If he's declared active, and if the coaches believe he'll play on Sunday, he'll be in my line-up (over Hopkins, and over Diggs as long as Diggs is dealing with this knee injury. He's pretty much filling that vacancy left by AJ Green for me).

You can listen to the line of questions here: https://twitter.com/JoeBuscaglia/status/804404143691591681

As a raider fan, if Sammy is playing in any capacity on Sunday then I'm starting him over E. Sanders. I love the Raiders and we've improved plenty on D but we love to play soft coverage and that should mean plenty of fantasy scoring points for Sammy.

As a raider fan, if Sammy is playing in any capacity on Sunday then I'm starting him over E. Sanders. I love the Raiders and we've improved plenty on D but we love to play soft coverage and that should mean plenty of fantasy scoring points for Sammy.
Knowing he plays, would you start him over Dez, who plays tonight?

RenegadeRoy said:
Things to remember about the OC: he isn't a doctor, he doesn't need to tell the truth, and he's looking to confuse their opponent.

If Sammy really does still have a 100% broken bone in his foot, I don't think he'd be playing.
Agreed - it would be absolutely irresponsible for the Bills to put Watkins on the field instead of under the knife, or at least at rest, with a still-broken foot.  I would expect Watkins' agent would get involved if that were the case, even if Watkins himself wanted to play.  Otherwise it will probably be uncertain whether he is ready again come next September...

Agreed - it would be absolutely irresponsible for the Bills to put Watkins on the field instead of under the knife, or at least at rest, with a still-broken foot.  I would expect Watkins' agent would get involved if that were the case, even if Watkins himself wanted to play.  Otherwise it will probably be uncertain whether he is ready again come next September...
Sort of like when they showed such great responsibility and restraint with an injured McCoy?   :whistle:

Man, I just can't quit this topic. lol

FWIW I agree that the OC is probably spinning tales here, but in general I find that with these things the truth is somewhere in the middle. I do think his foot isn't 100%, and that it's a matter of pain tolerance. I don't think he has a broken bone in his foot that requires surgery.

But anything's possible with the Bills. Right now they're in desperation mode - this week's game is probably their playoff chances on the line. 

I don't see any haters. I see reasonable people commenting on an ongoing situation. 

Maybe you ought to check out Moncrief's TD total - he's only played a couple games, has scored in every one,and his QB missed last week and he STILL scored.

seems like a pretty valuable guy to me. I bet any Sammy Watkins owner would deal him & their right nut for Moncrief without hesitation. 
I wouldn't deal Sammy and your right nut for Moncrief.

We up to 10 yet for hotsauce?
Not quite, but we're at least 3 of your trolling me in this topic alone. 

Maybe find a healthier obsession...or you know, try participating in topics. At least that's what I'm doing. 

Sucks that ignore doesn't also block people's quotes. Sigh. 

Not sure what all the petty bickering is all about in here. In redraft you either:

-1) Knew Watkins had screws in his foot and (wisely) avoided him,

-2) Didn't know about the foot screws and drafted him expecting back half/2015 production,

-3) Knew about the screws but drafted him anyway expecting big things.

I fall into category #2, that's on me. Just stupid on my part. As soon as I learned of the screws I knew that I was screwed.

I'm guessing that most of the "I told you so's" were cat-1.

Cat-3 people just backed a slow horse. Accept it, move on. There's always next year.

Ugh. Would love to have him out there since I have a WR corps(e) of Green(D/out), Hilton(Q), Tyrell (Q), Watkins (Q), Austin (Q), Ginn (healthy!) and Marquise Lee (Denver)

:X

I played Dez(Flex)

Evans will start over Walkins, not so sure of M Thomas 
Good choice so far on Dez.   

Personally I'd roll out Michael Thomas - that's not a statement about Watkins (though he is a risk to leave the game at any time) it's just that I don't know how anyone could bench Thomas at home at this point. The QB, targets, home splits for the Saints offense...the only concern I've got with Thomas this week is the "squeaky wheel" of Cooks, but there's plenty to go around in that passing game as we've seen week after week. 

Good luck. 

Per sleeperbot- "Rex Ryan says of WR Sammy Watkins, He's going to play"
I don't think that's been in doubt. It's the conflicting statements from the OC and not knowing how many snaps he'll play that have folks nervous.  As you saw on that one deep hit, he won't need to be out there all game to be productive. But then again, if he didn't bring in that deep pass his FFB day wouldn't have been much to write home about. 

I sincerely wish those who picked him up well.  I drafted him with high hopes, chose to not pick him up. I'm just not that lucky - if I started him, that would be the game he ran 2 routes, limped off and gave me a 0 when I needed points the most.  So you can all thank me for not jinxing Mr Watkins.  

I really want him to have surgery in the off-season if he needs that to truly get right. I love his talent and really want to draft him next year, especially at what I'm sure will be a deflated  mid-round ADP.

IMO no WR in the 6-10th round will have more upside. It's just a matter of how risky he'll be. Unfortunately he's so talented that I fear an ADP in the 3rd-4th range if the reports are good, because FFB writers will probably say nice things about him before the draft and make him their #1 sleeper, which will bump his value to where it was this year. 

Gonna be a tough guy to pass on in the 3rd-4th next year if that holds true. 

Not sure what all the petty bickering is all about in here. In redraft you either:

-1) Knew Watkins had screws in his foot and (wisely) avoided him,

-2) Didn't know about the foot screws and drafted him expecting back half/2015 production,

-3) Knew about the screws but drafted him anyway expecting big things.

I fall into category #2, that's on me. Just stupid on my part. As soon as I learned of the screws I knew that I was screwed.

I'm guessing that most of the "I told you so's" were cat-1.

Cat-3 people just backed a slow horse. Accept it, move on. There's always next year.
Dude - this kind of well thought out, reasonable, balanced response has no place in the FAA.  Kindly show yourself to the door.

Are you in a must win situation this week with absolutely no other WR options on your roster?
 Not really. Just not sure Watkins is a guy i wanted to rely on given this foot injury. I've already clinched a playoff spot. I've got OBJ at WR1 and holding a gimpy AJ Green taking up another spot. Other receivers on my roster i just picked up are Tyreek Hill and Taylor Gabriel and have Pryor in reserve on bye. I figured between Hill, Gabriel, and Mitchell pickups a better chance one or more may hit to cover for AJ and/or flex. Gronk news made me jump on Mitchell before someone else did.

Not really. Just not sure Watkins is a guy i wanted to rely on given this foot injury. I've already clinched a playoff spot. I've got OBJ at WR1 and holding a gimpy AJ Green taking up another spot. Other receivers on my roster i just picked up are Tyreek Hill and Taylor Gabriel and have Pryor in reserve on bye. I figured between Hill, Gabriel, and Mitchell pickups a better chance one or more may hit to cover for AJ and/or flex. Gronk news made me jump on Mitchell before someone else did.
I would have dropped AJG before dropping Watkins.  At least Watkins is going to play.

Users who are viewing this thread