What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Sammy Watkins, BAL (1 Viewer)

I dropped Watkins before the latest Green news came out.
I think I still would have dropped Green before Watkins.  I think most realized it was very unlikely Green was going to play any time soon.  I still have Green on my roster, not because I plan to use him but more so to keep him off any one else's roster if they make it to the championship.

Not really. Just not sure Watkins is a guy i wanted to rely on given this foot injury. I've already clinched a playoff spot. I've got OBJ at WR1 and holding a gimpy AJ Green taking up another spot. Other receivers on my roster i just picked up are Tyreek Hill and Taylor Gabriel and have Pryor in reserve on bye. I figured between Hill, Gabriel, and Mitchell pickups a better chance one or more may hit to cover for AJ and/or flex. Gronk news made me jump on Mitchell before someone else did.
I would take Watkins over Hill, Gabriel & Mitchell if you are able to be looking past this week.  It's the playoffs.  Game changers can win playoffs.  I don't believe any of those others will.  It will be like throwing darts for which one you can put in there.  If Watkins doesn't play you still would have had three darts to pick from.

And I agree, I would have gotten rid of AJ.  Even before this latest news I didn't hear anyone that thought he would be back.

I would take Watkins over Hill, Gabriel & Mitchell if you are able to be looking past this week.  It's the playoffs.  Game changers can win playoffs.  I don't believe any of those others will.  It will be like throwing darts for which one you can put in there.  If Watkins doesn't play you still would have had three darts to pick from.

And I agree, I would have gotten rid of AJ.  Even before this latest news I didn't hear anyone that thought he would be back.
Respectfully, Hill scored  ~36 in my IDP PPR league where all 3 TDs counted. Dude can ball - and they send him on end-around and reverses, and use him as a deep threat and in the screen game. 

And KC shows no signs of moving away from him - in fact his usage appears to be increasing.  That's pretty "game changer-Ish". 

Not for nothing but Hill is looking like more of a "game changer" right now than Watkins.  I'm not saying Watkins can't or won't be a game changer for fantasy teams, (or the Bills for that matter) but the reality is that he isn't there yet. When he comes out wih a WR1-2 type game and then manages to stay healthy into the next week, I'll agree. 

But until then he's a risky upside guy with a high ceiling and a ton of risk. Including the very real risk that someone will fall/step/roll on his foot and knock him out of play.  Greg Papa said the Raiders are going to double cover Watkins this week and use a high safety to try to take him out of the game because Harvin & Woods are both doubtful/out. The lack of other weapons might limit Watkins upside as well. So while I agree that his ceiling is high, it seems many here are ignoring his floor. 

And just like game changers can win playoffs,  ignoring the risks associated with risky players can lose playoffs for teams.

Again, not a hater; just not wearing rose-colored glasses. 

That said, I probably would have dropped Gabriel instead just in case Sammy did prove that he's a game changer in the next couple weeks. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hill maybe I can see that.  I had him knocked down my list because I don't want any WR going against Denver in the championship week.

I would have much rather picking between Watkins, Hill and Gabriel.  Mitchell could very easily be a one week play, if that.

He's starting to remind me of Percy Harvin: his talent is obvious and he is electric whenever he plays, but seems like he's always hurt. 

Not sure what all the petty bickering is all about in here. In redraft you either:

-1) Knew Watkins had screws in his foot and (wisely) avoided him,

-2) Didn't know about the foot screws and drafted him expecting back half/2015 production,

-3) Knew about the screws but drafted him anyway expecting big things.

I fall into category #2, that's on me. Just stupid on my part. As soon as I learned of the screws I knew that I was screwed.

I'm guessing that most of the "I told you so's" were cat-1.

Cat-3 people just backed a slow horse. Accept it, move on. There's always next year.
Get out of here with this hater crap.

FWIW I'm rolling with Ajayi & Sammy Watkins (RB2 & Flex) over Dion Lewis, Kenneth Dixon & Allen Robinson.

Ajayi because he is guaranteed too many touches to bench.  21 opportunities to get lucky and break one >>>> However many opportunities the others should get.

Watkins because, IMO, he has the biggest upside of the bunch.  Plus matchup, not many players to take away targets, in what should be a high scoring game.  The risk is obvious but that's the way I see it.

I watched most of the game today and Taylor missed him on 2 potential TD scoring plays.   One was a completely blown coverage where he got behind the corner with no immediate safety help and one was late in the 4th where if he would have caught it in stride,  it'd been an easy TD.   I feel confident rolling him out on that foot but it's hard to trust Taylor... 

Taylor has looked good at times too.  He's your typical not-elite QB - he'll put up a few stinkers but he proved last year he can get the ball to Watkins pretty consistently.

I wish Watkins was on a better team.  I think his potential would be used much better on a different team.  I know a lot of people really like Tyrod but I've never really been all that impressed with him.  He's a viable fantasy option but not that great of an NFL QB.

He is generally better on his deep throws, and Sammy was open on two opportunities, but definitely disappointed in the results this week.

Sammy had as good of a game as he could -- was targeted a lot by Taylor, and seemingly back to being his go-to guy. But the Raiders knew he posed the biggest threat, and the Raiders covered him exceptionally well with tight m2m and sometimes bracket coverages. Safeties were also often aligned to the side Sammy 

Taylor made some poor throws, and I put this more on him than Sammy -- while there were one or two balls where Sammy got a hand on it but couldn't make a play, was more because of ball placement than drops. 

Still starting with semi-confidence. Talent is there, the Bills just have to execute better.

Joe Haden added to the injury report today with a groin injury. Late week additions to the injury report are never a good sign for a player, and those groin injuries can linger. Haden hasn't been lights out this year anyways, but this could be a nice bump for Watkins if Haden is forced to miss.

I mean, if you've been stashing Sammy, this is the exact scenario you've been waiting for. Has been steadily upping his reps and production, and now gets the ultimate cake match-up.

As of right now, he's in my line-up over Tyrell and Sanders. The latter is the only one who's giving me pause -- he keeps going off on my bench -- but I think I'm going to stick with Sammy.

I mean, if you've been stashing Sammy, this is the exact scenario you've been waiting for. Has been steadily upping his reps and production, and now gets the ultimate cake match-up.

As of right now, he's in my line-up over Tyrell and Sanders. The latter is the only one who's giving me pause -- he keeps going off on my bench -- but I think I'm going to stick with Sammy.
Agreed on all counts. Rust is knocked off, utilization ticking upward, and he is cemented as the prime volume recipient on the team.

Against a pitiful Browns team, it does not get any better. The limiting factor will be Taylor's ability to find him and deliver the ball well.

Don't disappoint Sammy (and Taylor)! 

In one playoff where I'm an underdog, I'm playing him over Crabtree (with the broken finger). In another it's a more even math up and I'd have to bench Hilton or Fitzgerald to start him. Not sure I have the nads for the that...

Visibility is 7 miles according to the link. 

* changed to 1 mile from earlier. 

Go outside in the cold fog (when able), throw a ball up in the air, say, to another person 30 yards away and let me know the results.

You have to see the ball to be able to catch it. Fog bowl? That game was terrible until the fog lifted.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/31/fog-bowl-bears-eagles_n_6401636.html

I'm less concerned about the weather than I am about the Bills running the ball all day against the hapless Browns.

The Bills are already one of the most pass-light teams in the NFL, and playing the Browns doesn't exactly inspire thoughts of Taylor airing it out that much. 

Starting Watkins over Diggs today. I think this is a bounce back game of sorts, especially with an ailing (and underperforming) Joe Haden.

I'm starting Sammy with Odell Beckham and Emmanuel Sanders as my WRs, and Taylor Gabriel as my flex.    Hoping for fireworks with this squad.  

Sammy should crush (especially with Joe Haden nursing a groin injury), and I've got LeSean McCoy to double up on the ground game.   

I'm starting Sammy with Odell Beckham and Emmanuel Sanders as my WRs, and Taylor Gabriel as my flex.    Hoping for fireworks with this squad.  

Sammy should crush (especially with Joe Haden nursing a groin injury), and I've got LeSean McCoy to double up on the ground game.   
Make sure you buy your opponent dinner before violating him with a lineup like that. It's only the polite thing to do.

Starting as my 3rd WR in one league over Mitchell and Tate.

In another league, debating him or Cooper.  I might have to flip a coin.

Weather.com is saying snow showers and 20-30mph wind
Not currently snowing here (20 mins north of the stadium) and everything I'm hearing is that there is a minor chance of snow but nothing wild.  Hasn't snowed all morning.  Shouldn't be anywhere near as bad as last week in terms of snow.  The temperature could be a factor...should be about 25 at kickoff and steadily drop during the game into the teens by game's end.

Not currently snowing here (20 mins north of the stadium) and everything I'm hearing is that there is a minor chance of snow but nothing wild.  Hasn't snowed all morning.  Shouldn't be anywhere near as bad as last week in terms of snow.  The temperature could be a factor...should be about 25 at kickoff and steadily drop during the game into the teens by game's end.
What about wind?

Users who are viewing this thread