What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Sammy Watkins, BAL (3 Viewers)

The Bills do know more than us on the foot so it's worrisome but at the same time, recent history told us that last year was going to be a struggle for Sammy's foot. I hope their analysis is based on more then his struggles coming back last year. I just can't trust the Bills organization as they seem to be run by idiots. 
Basically all of this.  On the one hand they probably know better than anyone else what's going on with Sammy's foot... on the other hand the organization has been run by idiots for so long that what they know might be irrelevant.  

As a dynasty owner I'm a bit terrified.  

But if history is any indicator, whatever the Bills front office decides, you should decide the opposite and you'll generally be in good shape.  (L.McCoy seems to be the exception)

Basically all of this.  On the one hand they probably know better than anyone else what's going on with Sammy's foot... on the other hand the organization has been run by idiots for so long that what they know might be irrelevant.  

As a dynasty owner I'm a bit terrified.  

But if history is any indicator, whatever the Bills front office decides, you should decide the opposite and you'll generally be in good shape.  (L.McCoy seems to be the exception)
Sammy is only 23, this is the best thing that could happen for him. 

Unless, of course, their medical team holds an actual and legitimate license and they know because they see him every day.  

If I were a Watkins owner I'd be selling fast.  Can the docs be dead wrong?  Sure. I remember docs whiff ingredients on Brees a long time ago but more times than not (much more times), when you see teams make these kinds of decisions it's because they have the inside scoop.  

Looking across the room, Percy Harvin is nodding in agreement. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If he's healthy enough throughout 2017, and if he leaves buffalo in the offseason, his dynasty value could increase dramatically.  If he went to Detroit or Indy that would be huge I think.  But there are a number of realistic landing spots that I would consider a lateral move.  Jets? Rams? Browns? Cardinals? Vikings? Bears? Oh my.  Many of the better young QBs already seem to have their WRs (Winston, Carr, Mariota).  Philly and KC could be really interesting but they won't have the cap space (I think). But I'm probably looking too far ahead.  Just pointing out that being Tyrod's only option isn't the worst fantasy situation out there.   

Pretty crazy to see how drastic the differences are based on draft slot:

1. Jadeveon Clowney, DE, $13.846MM (Texans): Exercised
  2. Greg Robinson, OL (Rams), $12.496MM: Declined
  3. Blake Bortles, QB, (Jaguars), $19.053MM: Exercised
  4. Sammy Watkins, WR (Bills), $13.258MM: Declined
  5. Khalil Mack, DE (Raiders), $13.846MM: Exercised
  6. Jake Matthews, T (Falcons), $12.496MM: Exercised
  7. Mike Evans, WR (Buccaneers), $13.258MM: Exercised
  8. Justin Gilbert, CB (Browns): Not applicable due to release
  9. Anthony Barr, LB (Vikings), $12.306MM: Exercised
  10. Eric Ebron, TE (Lions), $5.194MM: Exercised
  11. Taylor Lewan, T (Titans), $9.341MM: Exercised
  12. Odell Beckham Jr. (Giants), $8.459MM: Exercised
  13. Aaron Donald, DT (Rams), $6.892MM: Exercised
  14. Kyle Fuller, CB, (Bears), $8.526MM: Declined
  15. Ryan Shazier, LB (Steelers), $8.718MM: Exercised
  16. Zack Martin, G (Cowboys), $9.341MM: Exercised
  17. C.J. Mosley, LB (Ravens), $8.718MM: Exercised
  18. Calvin Pryor, S (Jets), $5.597MM: Declined
  19. Ja’Wuan James, T (Dolphins), $9.341MM: Exercised
  20. Brandin Cooks, WR (Patriots), $8.459MM: Exercised
  21. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S (Packers), $5.597MM: Exercised
  22. Johnny Manziel, QB (Browns): Not applicable due to release
  23. Dee Ford, LB (Chiefs), $8.718MM: Exercised
  24. Darqueze Dennard, CB (Bengals), $8.526MM: Exercised
  25. Jason Verrett, CB (Chargers), $8.526MM: Exercised
  26. Marcus Smith, DE (Eagles), $8.625MM: Declined
  27. Deone Bucannon, LB (Cardinals), $8.718MM: Exercised
  28. Kelvin Benjamin, WR (Panthers), $8.459MM: Exercised
  29. Dominique Easley, DT (Rams): Not applicable due to release
  30. Jimmie Ward, CB (49ers), $8.526MM: Exercised
  31. Bradley Roby, CB (Broncos), $8.526MM: Exercised
  32. Teddy Bridgewater, QB (Vikings), $12.198MM: Declined
OBJ is $8.5M and Watkins over $13M for the same 5th year option.

I don't think this is really a big deal when you examine the numbers.  If I'm not mistaken the franchise tag is expected to be around $16M for a WR next year.  His 5th year option was $13.3M.  So for a couple mil they get to hedge and wait to see how Watkins performs (and if he stays healthy) in 2017 before having to make a decision about 2018.

I don't think this is really a big deal when you examine the numbers.  If I'm not mistaken the franchise tag is expected to be around $16M for a WR next year.  His 5th year option was $13.3M.  So for a couple mil they get to hedge and wait to see how Watkins performs (and if he stays healthy) in 2017 before having to make a decision about 2018.
yep, very smart move by Buffalo.  Easily worth the 3 million or so insurance to see how he returns from injury.

Well said. I don't see the option decline as an indication that there is real concern about his injury now, but rather his ability to stay healthy going forward and live up to his potential. If Watkins goes off this year, it may cost the Bills big time if they want to sign him long-term (and not use the franchise tag on him), but I guess it's a good problem for team brass have if it comes to that. Of course, I'm giving team brass a lot of credit here.

Well said. I don't see the option decline as an indication that there is real concern about his injury now, but rather his ability to stay healthy going forward and live up to his potential. If Watkins goes off this year, it may cost the Bills big time if they want to sign him long-term (and not use the franchise tag on him), but I guess it's a good problem for team brass have if it comes to that. Of course, I'm giving team brass a lot of credit here.
Buffalo made the right move here. It is a good problem for the Bills to have should Watkins have a good year let alone great year. 

The option is only guaranteed for injury- if he came back and was mediocre they could still cut him with no financial ties afaik. It has to be a major injury as well- it only kicks in if the player is unable to play the following season. I've tried to find more info. on exactly how it works- supposedly if the player is on the roster at the beginning of the football year in March it then becomes fully guaranteed, but I don't know how they would know if they were too injured to play that season in March.

yep, very smart move by Buffalo.  Easily worth the 3 million or so insurance to see how he returns from injury.
Buffalo and very smart rarely belong in the same sentence, and this is no different- it's a gamble IMO.

Only 9 players out of 32 did not get their option exercised, 2 of those are already out of the NFL (Gilbert & Manziel), 1 was cut last year due to injuries (Dominique Easley), 3 have been unmitigated busts (Greg Robinson, Calvin Pryor, Marcus Smith), 2 have had career threatening injuries (Kyle Fuller, Teddy Bridgewater) and 1 is Sammy Watkins.

IMO, this is not a good sign for his health at all, especially when you factor in how much the Bills spent to acquire him. But as others have said, it is the Bills so they may not exactly be making the best of decisions.

The Buffalo News' Vic Carucci "has doubts" the Bills are motivated to extend contract-year WR Sammy Watkins, even after the season.

Buffalo declined Watkins' fifth-year team option for 2018 earlier this week, which will set him up for free agency next March. Watkins has yet to play a full season in the NFL, and that's obviously playing a big part in the Bills' long-term plans for him. Carucci gets the sense that even if Watkins stays healthy in 2017, this new regime doesn't feel like one that will commit big money to him. Not turning 24 until next month, Watkins could be the top free agent in next year's class.

Source: Buffalo News 
May 5 - 10:00 AM

The option is only guaranteed for injury- if he came back and was mediocre they could still cut him with no financial ties afaik. It has to be a major injury as well- it only kicks in if the player is unable to play the following season. I've tried to find more info. on exactly how it works- supposedly if the player is on the roster at the beginning of the football year in March it then becomes fully guaranteed, but I don't know how they would know if they were too injured to play that season in March.

Buffalo and very smart rarely belong in the same sentence, and this is no different- it's a gamble IMO.
The larger gamble is potentially having to pay someone with a bad foot 13 million.  

You are incorrect on your understanding of the injury guarantee.  It is not for season-ending injury, only.  See Colin Kaepernick.  

massraider said:
The larger gamble is potentially having to pay someone with a bad foot 13 million.  

You are incorrect on your understanding of the injury guarantee.  It is not for season-ending injury, only.  See Colin Kaepernick.  
It actually is.  See Robert Griffin.

Neither Griffin nor Kaep were played during their pre-option season, but it was made clear in local media here in DC that the guarantee would only kick in if Griffin couldn't pass a physical at the start of the league year in March.

Either player couod have sprained an MCL or something, recovered and been cut without guaranteed money.  But if they instead tore an ACL and weren't ready by March, the teams would have been on the hook for the large figure of the contract option.

massraider said:

It's possible that I'm incorrect, but it certainly isn't because of the Kaepernick situation- he wasn't on his rookie contract, he had signed an extension (which included injury guarantees). The 5th year option was never even a possibility considering he wasn't drafted in the 1st round...

It's possible that I'm incorrect, but it certainly isn't because of the Kaepernick situation- he wasn't on his rookie contract, he had signed an extension (which included injury guarantees). The 5th year option was never even a possibility considering he wasn't drafted in the 1st round...
The guarantee is the same, for injury.

Larger point is it's a gamble of three mill extra they have to pay if he's great,vs. 13-mill they have to pay if he is damaged goods. 

How is what they are doing more of a gamble? Rhetorical question, it's not.

Larger point is it's a gamble of three mill extra they have to pay if he's great,vs. 13-mill they have to pay if he is damaged goods. 

Would love it if he got out of Buffalo after this year

Do you know this for sure? One is a rule written into the CBA, the other is something negotiated between parties, so I doubt they're the same exact thing.

That isn't the only gamble- they'd lose the ability to use the franchise tag on someone else, it would dramatically increase the cost to tag him in 2019, it would increase the odds of a holdout, etc.

Your question isn't rhetorical, it's moot- I didn't say it's more of a gamble, it's a gamble either way.

Do you know this for sure? One is a rule written into the CBA, the other is something negotiated between parties, so I doubt they're the same exact thing.

That isn't the only gamble- they'd lose the ability to use the franchise tag on someone else, it would dramatically increase the cost to tag him in 2019, it would increase the odds of a holdout, etc.

Your question isn't rhetorical, it's moot- I didn't say it's more of a gamble, it's a gamble either way.
Then why say this:

The implication of this is that it's a gamble what they are doing, and they could avoid a gamble by doing something different.

I must've misunderstood your original post.

Then why say this:

The implication of this is that it's a gamble what they are doing, and they could avoid a gamble by doing something different.

I must've misunderstood your original post.
The implication is pretty much exactly what I wrote- I disagree that declining the option was "very smart" based on what we know. IMO it's a gamble could work out for them or backfire, just like picking it up would have been. The specifics of the injury guarantee make a big difference- I don't recall this guarantee clause ever having been paid out.

The implication is pretty much exactly what I wrote- I disagree that declining the option was "very smart" based on what we know. IMO it's a gamble could work out for them or backfire, just like picking it up would have been. The specifics of the injury guarantee make a big difference- I don't recall this guarantee clause ever having been paid out.
Shariff Floyd with the Vikings is the only one I have ever heard of. They picked up his 5th year option last year. He had knee surgery for his knee in September and there were complications that caused nerve damage and he's in danger of never playing again.

Shariff Floyd with the Vikings is the only one I have ever heard of. They picked up his 5th year option last year. He had knee surgery for his knee in September and there were complications that caused nerve damage and he's in danger of never playing again.
It remains to be seen if Floyd will be able to play this season or not. It doesn't look good though.They pay him regardless of if he can play.

When teams make the decision to pick up a player's fifth-year option -- as the Vikings did with Floyd last May -- they still have the ability to release the player before the option becomes guaranteed at the start of the new league year. There's one caveat to that rule: The option is guaranteed against injury at the time the team chooses to exercise it, and because a player must be able to pass an exit physical to be released, a lingering injury can send the option into effect. LINK
So if Watkins were injured at some point this season, and did not recover from that injury before the deadline (March sometime I think) then the 5th year option becomes guaranteed.

There could always be something we don't hear/haven't heard about too.  I wouldn't be surprised if Watkins is upset with the Bills' medical staff, or some other kind of dispute that both Watkins and the team are too professional to leak to the media... 

Of course it could also just be avoiding risk, but that seems penny wise and pound foolish unless they know something we don't.  Lots of players have had these injuries and come back later on with no problems...

Stud when on the field. Injuries and being drafted by one of the worst franchises in the NFL has hurt the beginning of his career. I am buying where I can because if healthy his situation can only improve with time.

Sammy doesn't seem to understand math very well:

We gotta get paid more I'm pretty sure 2014 class will change the market.

A pretty hilarious response from a fan:

Are you kidding me? Average joe comparison aside, NFL plays a fraction of the games NBA does. You, more specifically, play even less.

:lmao:

NBA plays more games and splits the money amongst about 80% fewer players than the NFL. Of COURSE they're going to get paid way more.

I think he's definitely going to be gone from Buffalo after this year and some team is going to vastly overpay for a guy that can't stay healthy.

NBA plays more games and splits the money amongst about 80% fewer players than the NFL. Of COURSE they're going to get paid way more.
This is turning into an annual thing when NBA FA opens up and NFL players eyes bug out at the massive contracts.

While it's true what you say on NBA teams having more games and far less of a pie to split up I still must contend Sammy and NFL players have a major point however on their pay and that point is as a percentage of total revenue NBA players are getting a bigger piece of the pie than NFL players, I think around 3-4% more in total revenue. Considering it's the most popular sport, the most violent with greater chance of long term negative health consequences, in general offers less in off the field endorsements than NBA players I feel like Sammy and all NFL players have a legitimate gripe on why their union can't come up with a better deal for them.

That being said there is a major flaw in the NFL players argument and it's not NBA games played or paying less players but leverage associated with fact that the NBA is more of a players league than the NFL.

This is turning into an annual thing when NBA FA opens up and NFL players eyes bug out at the massive contracts.

While it's true what you say on NBA teams having more games and far less of a pie to split up I still must contend Sammy and NFL players have a major point however on their pay and that point is as a percentage of total revenue NBA players are getting a bigger piece of the pie than NFL players, I think around 3-4% more in total revenue. Considering it's the most popular sport, the most violent with greater chance of long term negative health consequences, in general offers less in off the field endorsements than NBA players I feel like Sammy and all NFL players have a legitimate gripe on why their union can't come up with a better deal for them.

That being said there is a major flaw in the NFL players argument and it's not NBA games played or paying less players but leverage associated with fact that the NBA is more of a players league than the NFL.
There is certainly an argument to be made that NFL players deserve a larger piece of the pie than they're getting. (Of course there are also counter-arguments like the cost of NFL franchises versus NBA, costs of an NFL stadium versus NBA arena, etc) but it's certainly a fair argument.

But I seriously doubt that Watkins would be satisfied with a 3-4% increase. He simply doesn't understand that there is about twice as much money available per player in the NBA versus in the NFL. And because of how the two cap systems work, a whole lot of mid-level to mediocre NBA players are going to make a lot of money.

The only way to get the same amount of money per player in the NFL, would be for the players to receive every single dollar of revenue.

The Buffalo News reports Sammy Watkins (foot) "should be close to 100 percent" when training camp starts.

Watkins is on track to be fully cleared after a limited OTAs. He's not going to get many preseason reps, but there's been nothing but positive reports since his option was declined. Entering a contract year, Watkins has the makings of a post-hype blowup if he stays healthy, though Buffalo projects to remain run heavy in 2017.

Source: Buffalo News

Jul 22 - 7:15 PM

Rams acquired WR Sammy Watkins and a 2018 sixth-round pick from the Bills in exchange for CB E.J. Gaines and a 2018 second-round pick.

Whoa. Watkins was said to be in the mix for the Rams at No. 2 overall in the 2014 draft, but they opted to take mega bust LT Greg Robinson instead. With coach Sean McVay now in town, he knew he needed a legit No. 1 wideout, and Watkins is that when healthy. "When healthy" are the key words. He's missed 11 games over the past two seasons due to foot problems and is entering the final year of his contract. The Rams no longer have the ability to exercise his 2018 option after the Bills declined it earlier this offseason. However, the Rams didn't trade for a one-year rental. They'll either tag or extend Watkins. This spells doom for Tavon Austin's post-2017 tenure in L.A. For fantasy purposes, Watkins doesn't take much of a hit going from a run-dominant offense to another. He'll be Jared Goff's top wideout as a strong WR2 with upside for more if Goff takes steps forward.

In the pregame interview Sammy said he hadn't even met Goff or McVay yet.  Heard he had just flown in.   

To this point in his career Watkins is an overrated wr, who can’t stay healthy and now is going to a team that doesn’t have an NFL caliber qb. I don’t see where he will be better than a solid #3 fantasy wr given his circumstances.

Users who are viewing this thread