What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Sammy Watkins, BAL (1 Viewer)

Why wouldn’t he? He had a down year but has had some success and teams may pay for his potential upside.
Seems he should get a lot more, like double. Alshon Jeffrey is making $13 million, pryor and Benjamin are making $6. 

Seems he should get a lot more, like double. Alshon Jeffrey is making $13 million, pryor and Benjamin are making $6. 
Agreed. I don’t think he gets Alshon money, but certainly more than Pryor or Benjamin. Plus the market is pretty hot for WRs and the rookie draft does not seem to have a lot of impact players (at least perceived going into the draft)

I pray he doesn’t go back to the Rams. Just didn’t work with Goff. Sure it’ll be better with an off-season but looks like wr3 as his absolute ceiling next year.

Just please don’t let it be the Jets or browns.
On the team where I own Watkins (12 team, non-ppr), I BARELY see Watkins as my WR3. More like a bye-week WR4. How the mighty have fallen (or never really risen, might be more like it).  I'm not saying I've given up, but he's definitely not someone I'd draft above mid-WR3 range.

Please GB or SF.
That would be ideal, and I wouldn’t mind Redskins, Patriots, or Panthers either. And before someone says Alex Smith sucks, remember his new idiot coach doesn’t believe in a balanced attack. Skins throw way more than they should. 

On the team where I own Watkins (12 team, non-ppr), I BARELY see Watkins as my WR3. More like a bye-week WR4. How the mighty have fallen (or never really risen, might be more like it).  I'm not saying I've given up, but he's definitely not someone I'd draft above mid-WR3 range.
What would you trade him for in terms of draft picks?

What would you trade him for in terms of draft picks?
my league is also small rosters (18 total, only Keep 13) so we don't keep many players. So not many roster spots spent on rookies and upside players.

that said, looking at the WRs in this year's draft, I think he's worth a mid/late 1st, but I can't imagine anyone paying that price for an underperforming 5th year WR. So I simply consider him a hold.

I'm not trading him. He's only 24, turns 25 in June. Goff missed him too many times on deep balls.

Last edited by a moderator:
not sure if this helps assess his trade value as all 3 of these guys value is debatable but I recently moved Jarvis Landry and a late 3rd for Watkins and Martavis Bryant

my league is also small rosters (18 total, only Keep 13) so we don't keep many players. So not many roster spots spent on rookies and upside players.

that said, looking at the WRs in this year's draft, I think he's worth a mid/late 1st, but I can't imagine anyone paying that price for an underperforming 5th year WR. So I simply consider him a hold.
I'd give a late first quickly. Wouldn't give above the 1.05 

As a Watkins owner, please let him visit free agency rather than signing a bridge deal with the Rams.  If healthy, he deserves far more than the 70 targets they provided him last year and there's certainly no guarantee that number would change much with the other key Ram WR's and QB remaining in place.  He's the Rams WR3 and probably my WR4 if he stays - got a much higher ceiling almost anywhere he goes . . .

Why wouldn’t he? He had a down year but has had some success and teams may pay for his potential upside.
Sigh, obviously I think Watkins gets a lot more than 6 million a year. Crappy wrs like Stills get a lot more. Yeah there’s a ton of questions but somebody will pay him.

The biggest concern with Watkins is that it sounded like it took him a while to get up to speed in LAR.

The route running ability plus athleticism plus catch radius make Sammy a high end WR1 type in the NFL, assuming he can stay on the same page with the playbook

I never owned Sammy until this past season but it sure seems like "when healthy" in Buffalo he was a dominate #1 WR for NFL and fantasy purposes and this was with Trod throwing him the ball. Between his draft pedigree, past production, and age I still think he will garner a lot of attention and $$$$ next week.

Does trading ogletree enable the Rams to resign Watkins?
I think it cleared 6.5 from the books. Should help, but Watkins holds all the negotiating power now. Perhaps he likes it there and likes mcvey and signs this week yet, but why not see what the market bears and see if the rams up their offer. This is his chance to make the big contract, and he could leave a lot of money on the table by not listening to teams like the jets or browns or Washington that may offer a lot more than LA can. 

I think it cleared 6.5 from the books. Should help, but Watkins holds all the negotiating power now. Perhaps he likes it there and likes mcvey and signs this week yet, but why not see what the market bears and see if the rams up their offer. This is his chance to make the big contract, and he could leave a lot of money on the table by not listening to teams like the jets or browns or Washington that may offer a lot more than LA can. 
Are they a player here? They have money but wr seems to be less of a need, until Gordon messes up again.

Really want to see Sammy in San Fran.

Would not be surprised to see the Jets make a play at him. He torched the Jets when he was with Buffalo, so they have a firsthand view of what he can do when healthy. And the team is clearly in need of receiving help - regardless of whether Robby Anderson escapes league punishment and whether they tender Enunwa and he makes it back. Kearse is solid but nothing spectacular.

Are they a player here? They have money but wr seems to be less of a need, until Gordon messes up again.

Really want to see Sammy in San Fran.
Rams have 27million in cap space. 

I don’t know, just throwing teams out that could be players for top end fa and make it hard on LA to match.  If they’re willing to talk to Pryor, I’d imagine they’d like WRs that are better than him too. 

Sammy or ar15 to SF, please. Make someone’s dreams come true, and let’s get another wr from that tremendous class a spot to shine. Let woods and Kupp show what they can really do.

Does trading ogletree enable the Rams to resign Watkins?
They have space to sign him, but I think they might be looking more toward long-term deals for Donald, Gurley, and Goff in the next 2-3 years with the Ogletree and Quinn moves. Plus, both guys were kind of miscast in a 3-4.

They have space to sign him, but I think they might be looking more toward long-term deals for Donald, Gurley, and Goff in the next 2-3 years with the Ogletree and Quinn moves. Plus, both guys were kind of miscast in a 3-4.
They should use their $ elsewhere...they had a real nice season last year and he was not a big part of it...as you said they have some big contracts coming up and Watkins is a luxury they can not afford with what he is going to get...

They should use their $ elsewhere...they had a real nice season last year and he was not a big part of it...as you said they have some big contracts coming up and Watkins is a luxury they can not afford with what he is going to get...
I think Watkins helped draw coverage and open things up for Gurley, Woods, and Kupp, but yeah, that offense runs through Gurley. They will take some hit going from Watkins to Reynolds in 3WR sets, but if it is between keeping Watkins now or one of Donald or Gurley later... bye Sammy. 

I think Watkins helped draw coverage and open things up for Gurley, Woods, and Kupp, but yeah, that offense runs through Gurley. They will take some hit going from Watkins to Reynolds in 3WR sets, but if it is between keeping Watkins now or one of Donald or Gurley later... bye Sammy. 
Watkins is just gonna cost too much...they can bring in another quality WR at a fraction of what he is going to get...

Watkins is just gonna cost too much...they can bring in another quality WR at a fraction of what he is going to get...
Why are people assuming this guy is going to bring in a huge payday?

Is there another WR in NFL history with this production that has pulled in a big contract?

David Boston maybe?  Even he had at least one big season didn't he?  Peerless Price?  Alvin Harper?  I mean those are some of the all time worst signings ever.  

Good for Watkins if he does get the payday, I'm just shuked on what people are basing it on. :shrug:  

Is there another WR in NFL history with this production that has pulled in a big contract?

David Boston maybe?  Even he had at least one big season didn't he?  Peerless Price?  Alvin Harper?  I mean those are some of the all time worst signings ever.  

Good for Watkins if he does get the payday, I'm just shuked on what people are basing it on. :shrug:  
I think should he and will he are two different questions...I'm not a big Watkins guy but I think he is going to get a very healthy contract...there are teams with crazy amounts of cap-space with needs at this position...I would be real surprised if a team like the Jets, Niners or Bears don't step up and go after Watkins (or Landry or ARob) very hard...he is still very young and has flashed talent and someone will bite on him...

Pierre Garcon is getting $9.5M/year with $17M guaranteed; that's an absolute baseline for what Watkins will get. Heck, Tavon Austin has gotten over $10M/year based on his 2016 contract. There's no one cheaper who's better than Watkins unless they're on their rookie deal. In 2018 I'd guess he'll get $11M, $12M/year with $25M guaranteed.

Uh it's not 1994. Every wr with a tiny bit of talent gets paid. Look at what Stills gets to sit on the bench. He's a free agent, he'll be expensive.

Plus, as mentioned, the WR rookie draft crop doesn't appear that chock full of high-end talent (at least perceived going into the draft).

Good year to be a FA at the WR position.

As much as he doesn't deserve it, somebody is going to give Watkins a massive deal. He should he thankful he wasn't franchised- he's going to make an absolute fortune. The cap continues to go up, Landry is going to get paid, as is Arob. 

Played in 15 games last year and only had 39 catches. Man, I kick myself for not going Evans at the 1.01 that year. 

Mid-first rounder and he's yours. 

The Rams did their best to crater his career by treating him like a 3rd/blocking WR last year.  I'd be furious and tell them make me a top 5 paid WR or I never pick up the phone from their area code again.

The Rams did their best to crater his career by treating him like a 3rd/blocking WR last year.  I'd be furious and tell them make me a top 5 paid WR or I never pick up the phone from their area code again.
We can't lay this all on the Rams, right? 2 teams. 2 disappointments. 

At some point it's on Watkins to either show he can play at the studly level most thought he could, or he shows that w we're all wrong about him and he's a bust. 

A HOLD for me either way til we find out, or someone sends me an decent trade offer. 

His career was “cratered” by an inability to stay on the field. The Rams were smart- they built their offense around their best player, Todd Gurley, and used the three quality wides; Watkins, Woods, and Kupp in ways that played to their strengths.

I’m not sure your expectations of Watkins useage pattern, given his injury history and the other offensive pieces in play, are realistic. 

We can't lay this all on the Rams, right? 2 teams. 2 disappointments. 

At some point it's on Watkins to either show he can play at the studly level most thought he could, or he shows that w we're all wrong about him and he's a bust. 

A HOLD for me either way til we find out, or someone sends me an decent trade offer. 
2 disappointments? From what I recall when he was with the Bills, Sammy = WR#1 for NFL and fantasy purposes, when healthy. You can question his health but other than last year I think he has dominated when on the field. Most OC's need a player with Watkins abilities but McVay may be that good to where the systems trumps the player???

when he was with the Bills, Sammy = WR#1 for NFL and fantasy purposes, when healthy. 
A really weird way to cherry pick a handful of games over the guy's career.  But I believe even with this effort you are recalling incorrectly.

He should stay with the Rams and take what they offer.

Take advantage of knowing the system, get a full off season and training camp (he missed it last year), build rapport with Goff.  Plenty of room for him to grow, plenty of room for him to double or better his output there imo.

He isn't going to help himself going to TEN or NYJ (two places I am seeing speculation on). 

Users who are viewing this thread