What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Sammy Watkins, BAL (3 Viewers)

The website has all of this information in a handy little chart. You want to see what an elite athlete's chart looks like? Check out Calvin Johnson's, or Mario Williams', or Vernon Davis'. Again, Watkins is a good athlete for an NFL WR, but he's a long way from elite.
Those charts are great at identifying big WR's - if you only follow that you'll end up drafting Jeff Janis over Watkins.

Here's Randall Cobb's chart, he looks terrible. Greg Little looks like a stud. Definitely gotta get Jon Baldwin.
good point and saying he is just a 4.4 guy is stupid.. The guy plays way faster on the field... 40 times are so overrated I can't believe some of you guys fall for that. Watkins ran a 4.43 but on the field plays like a sub 4.3 guy. Has Sammy Ever been caught from behind? NO and he has 2 90 plus tds in his career and knows how to seperate with the best of them. He looks like he will be better then Andre overall and should be 1 wr in Dynasty within 2-3 years fellas.

Watkins doesn't have Olympic caliber speed (at least not US caliber) any more than Justin Hunter does, which came up in another thread.

A 10.59 is pretty fast. If Crabtree was that fast (I don't think he was able to run one before the draft - broken foot?), he would be a completely different animal and a better prospect. I've made that exact comparison before, Watkins could be what you would have if Crabtree WAS that fast. Where would Crabtree rank if he had Watkins speed?
I realize I seem like some kind of hater in the face of some of the ludicrous claims here (Olympic speed), but I'm not. Let Watkins be good or very good... even great. Lets chill out on the "faster than a speeding bullet, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound" theme..

The parallel I see are the folks putting this guy in the Calvin Johnson stratosphere, I recall I had a similar reaction in the Crabtree thread a couple years back as I do here - Just take a step back and breathe.

To answer your last question... I'd rather Crabtree was bigger with his current speed. He would be a completely different type of receiver if he were fast.
I can see how we can nit pick his speed on the track... but is football played on the track?? I'm of the belief that on any given Sunday, Watkins is going to be the fastest on field with pads on player out there. His acceleration is second to none when he gets the ball in his hands. We can debate his track times all we want but what's the point... all that matters is who he is on the field, and that's fast as ####.
I think this is kind of the point Matuski is trying to make. This is an overboard statement. Watkins is fast, sure. No need to exaggerate it. He will not be the fastest player on the field any given Sunday. I'd bet nearly every NFl team will have a DB faster than him to be honest. That doesn't mean he is going to get run down or it will greatly hinder his game. It's just the truth. This isn't Randy Moss, a guy who will blow by NFL DBs like they are average athletes. Matuski seems to be shedding some realism into the expectations and many don't like it very much. I'm not sure why. The comps of him and an Olympic sprinter are comical. It was a foolish statement that should have just been acknowledged as such once real information was introduced, but of course it wasn't.Watkins is a good prospect, the best WR in this draft. He has good speed and great overall ability. There is no need to embellish his speed for theater.
I think it's clear he won't have the fastest 40 time on the field... but I believe he'll be the fastest *on field with pads on* guy. I think his long speed is good, but his acceleration is elite. He can accelerate past people and has the long speed to sustain separation. I agree it's comical to compare him to an Olympic sprinter... Olympic sprinters don't make receivers.
I heard he's like a 4.2 "in pads."
He is but these guys blindly go off a stupid 40 time which he actually ran 1 of the 40s at 4.37 but either way the point is IN PADS in a real game he is playing at 4.2 speed easily. The guy is one of the fastest players I have seen in a long time. I think Milkman is upset he can't get Watkins!

The website has all of this information in a handy little chart. You want to see what an elite athlete's chart looks like? Check out Calvin Johnson's, or Mario Williams', or Vernon Davis'. Again, Watkins is a good athlete for an NFL WR, but he's a long way from elite.
Those charts are great at identifying big WR's - if you only follow that you'll end up drafting Jeff Janis over Watkins.

Here's Randall Cobb's chart, he looks terrible. Greg Little looks like a stud. Definitely gotta get Jon Baldwin.
good point and saying he is just a 4.4 guy is stupid.. The guy plays way faster on the field... 40 times are so overrated I can't believe some of you guys fall for that. Watkins ran a 4.43 but on the field plays like a sub 4.3 guy. Has Sammy Ever been caught from behind? NO and he has 2 90 plus tds in his career and knows how to seperate with the best of them. He looks like he will be better then Andre overall and should be 1 wr in Dynasty within 2-3 years fellas.
Now you are getting ridiculous.

Unlike anyone we have seen before? Sub 4.3? Really?

Watkins doesn't have Olympic caliber speed (at least not US caliber) any more than Justin Hunter does, which came up in another thread.

A 10.59 is pretty fast. If Crabtree was that fast (I don't think he was able to run one before the draft - broken foot?), he would be a completely different animal and a better prospect. I've made that exact comparison before, Watkins could be what you would have if Crabtree WAS that fast. Where would Crabtree rank if he had Watkins speed?
I realize I seem like some kind of hater in the face of some of the ludicrous claims here (Olympic speed), but I'm not. Let Watkins be good or very good... even great. Lets chill out on the "faster than a speeding bullet, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound" theme..

The parallel I see are the folks putting this guy in the Calvin Johnson stratosphere, I recall I had a similar reaction in the Crabtree thread a couple years back as I do here - Just take a step back and breathe.

To answer your last question... I'd rather Crabtree was bigger with his current speed. He would be a completely different type of receiver if he were fast.
I can see how we can nit pick his speed on the track... but is football played on the track?? I'm of the belief that on any given Sunday, Watkins is going to be the fastest on field with pads on player out there. His acceleration is second to none when he gets the ball in his hands. We can debate his track times all we want but what's the point... all that matters is who he is on the field, and that's fast as ####.
I think this is kind of the point Matuski is trying to make. This is an overboard statement. Watkins is fast, sure. No need to exaggerate it. He will not be the fastest player on the field any given Sunday. I'd bet nearly every NFl team will have a DB faster than him to be honest. That doesn't mean he is going to get run down or it will greatly hinder his game. It's just the truth. This isn't Randy Moss, a guy who will blow by NFL DBs like they are average athletes. Matuski seems to be shedding some realism into the expectations and many don't like it very much. I'm not sure why. The comps of him and an Olympic sprinter are comical. It was a foolish statement that should have just been acknowledged as such once real information was introduced, but of course it wasn't.Watkins is a good prospect, the best WR in this draft. He has good speed and great overall ability. There is no need to embellish his speed for theater.
I think it's clear he won't have the fastest 40 time on the field... but I believe he'll be the fastest *on field with pads on* guy. I think his long speed is good, but his acceleration is elite. He can accelerate past people and has the long speed to sustain separation. I agree it's comical to compare him to an Olympic sprinter... Olympic sprinters don't make receivers.
I heard he's like a 4.2 "in pads."
He is but these guys blindly go off a stupid 40 time which he actually ran 1 of the 40s at 4.37 but either way the point is IN PADS in a real game he is playing at 4.2 speed easily. The guy is one of the fastest players I have seen in a long time. I think Milkman is upset he can't get Watkins!
I was thinking it sounds more like you just drafted him.

Find me some highlights where he was ran down from behind or caught from behind? Vs Georgia, Auburn, Virginia, syracuse, he takes the top off the D and it looks like everyone else is standing in quick sand and Sammy is moving 3x faster then normal.

Casserly: Michael Vick had higher grade than Johnny Manziel

Excerpt:

Sammy Watkins vs. A.J. Green: "This is a tough one because they're top players. I like Watkins as far as his separation ability, his abilty to run after the catch, I think he's outstanding in both of them and probably has a little bit of an edge over Green. But I'm going to go for Green, not because of what he's done, but what I thought he was going to do. Green, to me, was the best player in that draft. ... Green's edge is in size and more consistency in catching the football, even though Watkins has good hands."

T with T - weren't you a huge supporter of D Wilson in the bandwagon thread? If so, don't screw up the 1.01 for me. ;)

Buffalo Bills ‏@buffalobills

Jim Monos: "Watkins is like a Percy Harvin with the ball in his hands. He's special like that" on-par with AJ Green, Julio Jones in college.
Ummm, no.
True. Watkins was more productive than AJ & Julio in college.
And Greg Salas was more productive than all of them. Which is why college production is about the least important factor of any.
so the least important thing to look at is how they produced on the field?

perhaps in a national 40 yard dash league or a national wonderlic league, not so sure in the national football league

Jim Monos: "Watkins is like a Percy Harvin with the ball in his hands. He's special like that" on-par with AJ Green, Julio Jones in college.
Ummm, no.
And Greg Salas was more productive than all of them. Which is why college production is about the least important factor of any.
so the least important thing to look at is how they produced on the field?perhaps in a national 40 yard dash league or a national wonderlic league, not so sure in the national football league
You should be watching how a player looks playing the game. The stats can be extremely misleading.

Ummm, no.
My comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek and I guess it didn't come across. I took that statement from Monos as more about their level of polish, in which case, yea Watkins may be as polished a WR as Green & Julio when they were drafted.

I wasn't comparing them from a physical standpoint.

Ummm, no.
so the least important thing to look at is how they produced on the field?perhaps in a national 40 yard dash league or a national wonderlic league, not so sure in the national football league
You should be watching how a player looks playing the game. The stats can be extremely misleading.
sure the stats can be misleading

as can wonderlic and 40 times and shuttle drills and pro days and psych exams and questions about what they would do with a brick

to say college production is about the least important factor of any is a clear exaggeration. College production does show they can do something on a football field, which is what they are ultimately going to have to do.

Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler

This is the unpopular opinion, but WR Sammy Watkins wouldn't be a consideration for me top-5. Not taking a WR that early unless he's elite

Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler

And that's especially true in a deep WR group like this when I can get a guy a notch below Watkins at a better value in the 2nd round

Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler

RT @NoSleepCapital he is elite >>> Disagree. Watkins isn't in the "elite" WR class as a prospect like Calvin, AJ Green and Fitz were

T with T - weren't you a huge supporter of D Wilson in the bandwagon thread? If so, don't screw up the 1.01 for me. ;)
So just because I supported a player that looked the part and happened to get injured that means I can't judge talent. What are you trying to prove and what are you even talking about? Have you not hit on a guy in fantasy terms. Get real man quit acting like even experts don't miss.

Ummm, no.
so the least important thing to look at is how they produced on the field?

perhaps in a national 40 yard dash league or a national wonderlic league, not so sure in the national football league
Good point I mean when would production actually matter when judging how good a player is. I think All the players over 6-4 regardless of stone hands or bad route running or lack of focus should be number 1 picks and all the 6-1-6-2 inch wr that do everything right should be drafted later in the draft get real.

Ummm, no.
Exactly and Sammy passe the eye test with a Rare skill set and is also productive, humble good player/person and hard worker. He is by far best offensive player in the draft hands down.

So just because I supported a player that looked the part and happened to get injured that means I can't judge talent. What are you trying to prove and what are you even talking about? Have you not hit on a guy in fantasy terms. Get real man quit acting like even experts don't miss.
Take it easy. It was a joke. See the winky face?

It's hands down my friend Sammy just make it look easy..... Effortless glider who has 100 mph speed and agility in the open field.

Rotoworld:

WGR 550 Buffalo reports the Bills "seem to be enamored by" Clemson WR Sammy Watkins.
ESPN's Todd McShay wrote in his most recent mock draft Tuesday that he's heard from three league sources that the Bills are trying to trade up from their No. 9 slot in an effort to land Jadeveon Clowney, Greg Robinson, or Watkins. Top beat writer Joe Buscaglia believes the "ideal range" for the Bills to move up is in the 4-6 area to select Watkins. They'd likely have to jump Oakland at No. 5.

Related: Bills

Source: WGR 550 Buffalo

Sounds crazy but I would rather SW go to OAK over BUF. It just seems like BUF is a place where receivers go to die. Not to mention the weather factor for your playoff schedule.

2014 NFL Draft: Loston, Smallwood steals in 2nd or 3rd rounds

Pat Kirwan

Excerpt:

Three once-a-decade players

This week, somebody asked me, "Are there any once in a decade players in this draft?" Many would expected the answer to be Jadeveon Clowney, but he wasn't on my list of potential once-in-a-decade types.

I believe three players (which is a lot) in this draft have a chance, and I emphasize chance, to be once-in-a-decade players.

• Wide receiver Sammy Watkins snatches footballs like Larry Fitzgerald, runs with the ball like a top running back and reminds me of Sterling Sharpe.

• Auburn tackle Greg Robinson has athletic ability like Walter Jones.

• I've waited years to see a one gap penetrator like Pitt's Aaron Donald.

Users who are viewing this thread