What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Steve Smith - Retired and still angry (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
It appears that Steve Smith will soon be a free agent and there isn't much in the way of a dedicated thread for discussion around his dynasty and redraft value.

While Smith's dynasty value is limited by the fact that he turns 35 on May 12th he may have dynasty value to a FF team contending for a title if his acquisition price is reasonable.

In redraft leagues his value will depend heavily upon his ADP, which will change over the next few months depending on what team he lands on and if it appears if he has much gas left in the tank after a sub-par season last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Sources tell the Charlotte Observer that Panthers GM Dave Gettleman views Steve Smith as a "distraction," and wants to turn the locker room over to Cam Newton and Luke Kuechly.
Smith's agent has declared his Panthers career through, and it sounds like the feeling is very much mutual. Smith's excellent career has been fueled by one mighty chip on his shoulder, but that can be an exhausting personality trait for teammates and coaches. Some fresh air might do Smith well as he rides off into the sunset of his career.

Source: Charlotte Observer

Hard to get excited, IMO. Even with minimal competition for targets last year, he couldn't crack the top 36 WRs. He seemed to lose the vertical explosiveness that was his big calling card. I'm a long time fan and owner, and he might have a hard time making it through cut downs prior to the rookie drafts even in deeper leagues, barring an absolutely spectacular situation upgrade. If he goes to Baltimore or Oakland as rumored, meh.

I have to say I'm a little surprised - personally, I think Smith's decline had to do with Shula's offense.

I know people have watched him live and say what they say but the man is a maximum competitor, has great hands and instincts, I think he's still got it.

Now way to prove this, but hopefully he goes to the right team and he will.

Personally I'm glad he is getting away from the Saints' division finally, old or no.

The Panthers are going to be lacking leadership and a go-to WR next year.

Rotoworld:

According to the SportsXchange, the Panthers have been unable to trade Steve Smith and will release him Thursday.
Smith has lost a step or three as he enters his age-35 season, so it's no surprise the Panthers couldn't find a trade partner. Therefore, his 13-year career as the face of the organization will end with a pink slip and rumors of him being a "distraction." It also leaves the Panthers with Tavarres King, Kealoha Pilares and Marvin McNutt as their top-three wideouts under contract. Smith is expected to draw interest from the Bucs, Ravens and Raiders. ESPN's Adam Schefter considers Baltimore the favorites.

Related: Ravens

Source: Bill Voth on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Steve Smith reportedly gave Panthers GM Dave Gettleman five landing spots -- the Cowboys, Patriots, Ravens, Bucs, and Chargers -- while Gettleman was trying to trade Smith.
Smith is now going to be cut, so these teams provide clues as to where Smith wants to play. That, of course, doesn't mean all five teams will want Smith back. It is believed Baltimore's interest is mutual, however, and at this point we'd call them the tentative favorites to land "89". GM Ozzie Newsome would have to hope acquiring Smith would work out better than the Lee Evans debacle.

Related: Ravens, Cowboys, Patriots, Chargers, Buccaneers

Source: Charlotte Observer

Steve Smith to be pursued by Baltimore RavensBy Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer

Steve Smith's days with the Carolina Panthers are numbered. He shouldn't be out of work for long.

NFL Media's Albert Breer reported Thursday that the Baltimore Ravens will be in quick pursuit of the veteran wide receiver upon his release. According to Breer, a deal could materialize quickly.

If Smith has anything left in the tank at 35, he should be a good fit in a Ravens offense that never adequately replaced Anquan Boldin last season. Smith would ostensibly work in the slot with Jacoby Jones (re-signed Wednesday) and Torrey Smith on the outside and a healthy Dennis Pitta at tight end.

Suddenly, Joe Flacco will have a legit roll call of playmakers.

Smith shouldn't be an assumed slam dunk for the Ravens, of course. His play fell off significantly in 2013, and Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman essentially will pay Smith to go away. The Panthers did their franchise star wrong in their handling of the situation, but their internal view of Smith as a player raises red flags.

That said, Smith makes sense for the Ravens at the right price in a supporting role. Finally, something to put on your calendar: The Panthers will visit the Ravens this season.

The "Around The League Podcast" is now available on iTunes! Click here to listen and subscribe.

Rotoworld:

Panthers released WR Steve Smith.
Smith has spent all 13 years of his career with the Panthers, going from 2001 third-round pick to face of the franchise and one of the game's most fearsome receivers. He posted seven 1,000-yard seasons, scored 67 touchdowns and went to the Super Bowl bowl once. But as Smith lost a step or three going on age 35, the organization reportedly found his antics to be a "distraction" and dumped him in unceremonious fashion. He'd fit as an Eric Decker replacement in Denver, or as a No. 2 option in Baltimore. The Bucs, Patriots, Cowboys and Chargers are also thought to be on Smiff's list.

Gotta say that Carolina's handling of this appears pretty lame considering everything that Smiff has meant to that franchise. Going public the way that they did then not cutting him right away before FA opened is pretty unprofessional IMO.

Rotoworld:

The Ravens have reportedly emerged as the favorite to sign free agent WR Steve Smith.
In search of a No. 3 option behind Torrey Smith and Dennis Pitta, the Ravens have set their sights on Smitty. He's no longer a threat to stretch defenses as he enters his age-35 season, but he is a capable possession receiver and rugged option on third downs. It's a description that would fit Anquan Boldin, who averaged 62 catches for 881 yards and four touchdowns while playing with Joe Flacco from 2010-12. The Broncos, Bucs and Patriots could also make a pitch to Smith.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

With Edelman gone, I'd love to see Smith sign with NE... as a gritty physical possession guy, he would fit great in their system.

Steve has a choice. He can maybe get a ring if he wants to take a complementary role and probably less money.

Denver's all in but he certainly wouldn't be their priority. However, if he were to take less dinero and settle for fewer targets... well... that's help Denver in the way of losing Decker. If he wants to play ball and be a team player he could make this happen.

I'd really hate to see him go to the Jets or even the Ravens as I don't see them as contenders. Go work with Manning or Brady and make this a good story. If it's otherwise, its football trite and negates what the game is really supposed to be about.

Anyone with me in seeing it this way if you're a Smith fan?

How about a bunch of HOF twilighters giving it one last try in Denver for the glory? Manning, Ware, Smith... maybe Champ if he would take a small contract. That'd be a great story.

Rotoworld:

The Ravens have reportedly emerged as the favorite to sign free agent WR Steve Smith.
In search of a No. 3 option behind Torrey Smith and Dennis Pitta, the Ravens have set their sights on Smitty. He's no longer a threat to stretch defenses as he enters his age-35 season, but he is a capable possession receiver and rugged option on third downs. It's a description that would fit Anquan Boldin, who averaged 62 catches for 881 yards and four touchdowns while playing with Joe Flacco from 2010-12. The Broncos, Bucs and Patriots could also make a pitch to Smith.

:yucky: :yucky: :yucky:

Really Steve?

Carolina Panthers ‏@Panthers 6m

Smith is the #Panthers all-time leader in touchdowns (75), receptions (836) and receiving yards (12,197).
Carolina Panthers ‏@Panthers 3m

Rivera: “He's a great competitor with Hall of Fame worthy stats and has made great contributions to our community. I wish him the best.”
Doesn't sound like a lot of personal attachment to Smith by Rivera in this statement. Maybe the chemistry thing is true. Very generic, faint praise. Where's the, "He will be missed."?

I am a longtime owner, and IMO he's done. If he goes to an ideal landing spot, he could possibly end up with WR3 numbers, but I think even that's unlikely.

He got 110 targets in 15 games last year, and produced 64/745/4.

His fantasy upside was always tied to downfield big plays, and he completely couldn't do that last year. Can still fight for balls on short routes though.

His fantasy upside was always tied to downfield big plays, and he completely couldn't do that last year. Can still fight for balls on short routes though.
Which is why he'd make a great WR2 on a team. He can't be the #1 anymore.
True, but he's still a slightly above average #2 WR in real life NFL terms. Let's not forget, Newton's an average passer and the Panther's O is far from prolific.

If he can go somewhere and serve as a #2 or #3 target on a good surrounding team, he has a shot at a ring.

If character concerns are true and he wants to be paid and has to be a #1 then so long ring or HOF.

Which is why he'd make a great WR2 on a team. He can't be the #1 anymore.
True, but he's still a slightly above average #2 WR in real life NFL terms. Let's not forget, Newton's an average passer and the Panther's O is far from prolific.

If he can go somewhere and serve as a #2 or #3 target on a good surrounding team, he has a shot at a ring.

If character concerns are true and he wants to be paid and has to be a #1 then so long ring or HOF.
Patriots.

Which is why new england is such a great fit.

NEP have Thompkins/Dobson to stretch the field in a pinch. Bringing in a vet like Smiff could help their development and smith's style fits the NEP short/mid pass offense to a T.

But... Belichick will not overpay for him. If he's looking for money...move along. If you're looking for a damn good shot at a ring? Come on down.

I really think people are missing the damping effect that Shula as OC and serious alternative WR threats had on SS's production.

I think he still has it, at least for another 1-2 years.

As a Saints fan I'm thrilled he's likely headed out of the division. The Cats will regret this.

I really think people are missing the damping effect that Shula as OC and serious alternative WR threats had on SS's production.

As a Saints fan I'm thrilled he's likely headed out of the division. The Cats will regret this.
Not a stud. But, good.

As a Saints fan I'm thrilled he's likely headed out of the division.

The Cats will regret this.
I doubt it. Smith isn't the WR he was and cost too much money. The Panthers have the opportunity to draft an excellent receiver in the 1st who they have cheap for 5 years.

While you may be happy Smith is gone now, you may not be happy seeing Beckham or Cooks twice a year.

I doubt it. Smith isn't the WR he was and cost too much money. The Panthers have the opportunity to draft an excellent receiver in the 1st who they have cheap for 5 years.

While you may be happy Smith is gone now, you may not be happy seeing Beckham or Cooks twice a year.
:goodposting:

Don't really think Carolina handled this well overall, but there's no way to argue that Smiff was worth $7 million last year, let alone for 2014 when he's a year older. He's a possession WR3 at best now.

Can he play the slot? Probably not, right? Why teach an old dog new tricks when you can draft a guy who knows how to play the slot... I think Steve Smith would definitely benefit from being in a similar role as Eric Decker last year in Denver.

Patriots obviously come to mind; Denver; Atlanta; Green Bay; etc. He's going to want to go to a team that will give him a $3 - 6 million dollar contract where his sole job is to make plays against a defenses weaker Defensive Backs.

I could see him going for 900 - 1,100 yards and 6 touchdowns if he lands in the right situation. But if he ends up going somewhere like Oakland or Kansas City, he'll likely have a similar statline as last year. I think he's got a little more juice in him and enough heart to try hard for another season or two.

I personally would love to see him in San Francisco. I think he'd fit in right there, Steve Smith is the kind of guy you'd love to have on a WINNING team.

New Orleans has no WRs to speak of really (although a heck of a TE). With Sproles and Lance Moore gone, that's a lot of WR snaps that need someone to fill them. Brees would maximize Smith's potential as much as Manning or Brady, and way more than Flacco. Kind of surprised their name has not come up as a potential designation. Smith belongs on a win-now team. I know they have cap issues, but they could make it work if they had to by mortgaging the future for now. Brees' window is not much longer than the windows in Denver and NE.

Panther fan here. I hope he ends up in NE/Den/NO and posts some stats to get him towards the HOF. Brady and Manning would have him putting up Welker type numbers.

Can he play the slot? Probably not, right? Why teach an old dog new tricks when you can draft a guy who knows how to play the slot... I think Steve Smith would definitely benefit from being in a similar role as Eric Decker last year in Denver.

Patriots obviously come to mind; Denver; Atlanta; Green Bay; etc. He's going to want to go to a team that will give him a $3 - 6 million dollar contract where his sole job is to make plays against a defenses weaker Defensive Backs.

I could see him going for 900 - 1,100 yards and 6 touchdowns if he lands in the right situation. But if he ends up going somewhere like Oakland or Kansas City, he'll likely have a similar statline as last year. I think he's got a little more juice in him and enough heart to try hard for another season or two.

I personally would love to see him in San Francisco. I think he'd fit in right there, Steve Smith is the kind of guy you'd love to have on a WINNING team.
Steve Smith and Harbaugh? You'd have better luck mixing oil and water.

That was a perfect throw. Not sure it proves much about Steve Smith though. I've had him for years in multiple dynasty leagues and love the guy. If he somehow manages another great season, I'd be thrilled -- but he definitely looked like he had a big old fork sticking out of him last year when I watched the Panthers. Even in a perfect situation, I'd be surprised if he is anything more than a FF WR3, personally.

Rotoworld:

The Ravens are "working to finalize" a visit with free agent Steve Smith.
Baltimore is clearly out in front to land Smith, who would complement Dennis Pitta and Torrey Smith in new OC Gary Kubiak's offense. Kubiak never made heavy use of his No. 2 receivers in Houston, targeting "No. 1" Andre Johnson and his tight ends relentlessly. So it isn't a great spot for fantasy value.

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports free agent Steve Smith will visit the Ravens on Friday.
We won't have a resolution Thursday. Smith is hopping on a plane tonight and will meet with Ravens brass in the morning. Baltimore is far and away the favorite to land the soon-to-be 35-year-old. At this point, Smith's name is bigger than his game, but he brings toughness and very reliable hands. He'd be the No. 3 option in the Ravens passing attack, behind Torrey Smith and Dennis Pitta.

lod01 said:
The High Priest said:
For some reason I feel like Seattle may have a shot at him....j
He might do that. He's not going to command big $ anymore and he would have a great chance to exact his revenge on Carolina in the playoffs.
Carolina might not make the playoffs if we don't get some WR's and lineman.

Coeur de Lion said:
cstu said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
thriftyrocker said:

:goodposting:

Don't really think Carolina handled this well overall, but there's no way to argue that Smiff was worth $7 million last year, let alone for 2014 when he's a year older. He's a possession WR3 at best now.
So do they know that he wouldn't take a pay cut or restructure? The age and fading skills issue is one thing, but that's not how this went down. It was put down as being the result of a lack of professionalism.

And I could see Beckham or Cooks landing there, and no I wouldn't be happy about it, but they could have had SS and Beckham/Cooks (who may not be there anyway...) and SS could have taught the kid the tricks of the job, and Smith knows a lot of them. Who is the prized rook going to learn from now?

Now maybe the Panthers didn't want Smith's locker room "leadership" or "behavior" being one of those tricks but in my opinion they have served the team well over the years. They served them really well when they were 2-14 and 6-10 and SS's fire, effort and yes leadership was the only thing separating them from complete disgrace. But now that they're "winners" (ahem, for 1 year) well they're just not going to accept that kind of thing, no-sirree.

The Pats rebuilt their receiving corps pretty quickly, KT, Dobson, Boyce, Hoomanawanui, Amendola, expanded roles for Vereen and Edelman, but does Carolina have that kind of football acumen and can Newton hold it all together like Brady?

FF-wise, whatever rookie 1st round WR lands there will probably have much opportunity, or whether FA like Nicks, Jones, or even LaFell, whoever it is that steps into that WR1 role, will too, but Newton had already taken a hit under Shula and this whole situation will probably take him down another notch.

Does anyone think it odd that LaFell, Ginn and Hixon would have all had expanded opportunity in CAR but all have decided to leave (or try to?).

Not just Smith, the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th WRs are all leaving too. Don't you think these guys would see a real chance to grow and become a featured player? But instead they decide to leave. Hard to believe the Panthers decided to kick them all out. What's going on there?

Does anyone think it odd that LaFell, Ginn and Hixon would have all had expanded opportunity in CAR but all have decided to leave (or try to?).

Not just Smith, the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th WRs are all leaving too. Don't you think these guys would see a real chance to grow and become a featured player? But instead they decide to leave. Hard to believe the Panthers decided to kick them all out. What's going on there?
Yes it is strange. Do they just all hate Cam Newton? Or is it something else within the organization? Or maybe Carolina wants to start over at WR?

Users who are viewing this thread