Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Lawyer Thread Where We Stop Ruining Other Threads

1 hour ago, Zow said:

Thanks for this input. All those links were very helpful. 

Frankly, your last sentence is a concern of mine as well. We do have a staff member who is pregnant and I worry that she get the vaccine and something happens to the pregnancy then we could be in trouble. 

Tell her to look at how the odds of being on a ventilator if contracting COVID while pregnant are significant.  

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know if there's a real pinnacle to this profession. Some times it really seems like there isn't one. But I do now know that when you're standing there waiting and hoping for two words instead

Made partner today. 

Big news for The_Son - just found out he got the Rubenstein Scholarship from Chicago! Full tuition + a $20,000 per year stipend. Last week he was fortunate enough to be offered a full-tuition scholars

19 hours ago, FBG26 said:

Did any law firms really lose business working from home? Just looking at PPP tracking website and see my former firm and several other IP firms in town all took large sums of PPP funds. my contacts have told me they were just as busy as ever. Seems fishy. 

I own a small boutique firm.  I’m as busy as I want to be.

Our big firm is busy.  Certain practice groups struggled, based on those sectors in the economy getting smooshed, but others did alright.  2020 was a down-ish year for us, but not nearly as badly as the worst case scenarios we modeled last Spring.  I understand many other big firms actually had up years.  2021 off to a good start, I think we’ll have a busy one.

11 hours ago, bigbottom said:

On the client side, our legal spend was up in 2020 (and some of that went to @Otis).

I love this. Please have your accounting folks include in the memo field of the next check “From Bigbottom to Otis”

• Like 1
  • Laughing 3
4 minutes ago, Otis said:

I love this. Please have your accounting folks include in the memo field of the next check “From Bigbottom to Otis”

Ha!  Your fellow partner would be so very confused. 

hey laywer bromigos if you are sidney powell who is now saying her defense to the defemation claims is that her filings were so stupid no one should ever have believed them how come the state bars she filed her laswsuits in arent saying ok thanks since you admittedly filed fraudulent hot garbage dumpster filings that you now acknowledge were pure lies we are disbarring you how does that work take that to the bank bromigos 

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update from Law School Application World, where Notre Dame Law School went down in infamy yesterday. Apparently in their admission letters this year, they said deposits are due April 15, or whenever we fill the class with received deposits. At 4 pm they sent an email that the class was 67% full, at 5 pm they sent one saying they were 80% full, and by 6 pm the class was full. So if you had been admitted to Notre Dame Law but didn't put down your $600 deposit by 6 pm yesterday, you are no longer admitted. They basically created a bank run on themselves. There is some thinking this will backfire on them, as people who rushed to make their deposit might still end up enrolling somewhere else, and people who would have gone there but got shut out during yesterday's rush will now go elsewhere. 

It's been a crazy year, record number of apps and a messed-up LSAT curve resulting in too many high scores. Apparently you could fill every seat at the top 111 law schools with a 160+ applicant. Georgetown, which normally gets about 9,000 applicants, is expecting a total of 14,000. Here's a quote from their Dean:

“This is a year like no other,” Cornblatt said. “To give you some numbers, if you were applying to Georgetown with a 3.9 [grade-point average] and a 171 [LSAT score] last year, I would have said to myself, ‘This is real strong. I’ll probably say yes to this.’ Now, with the exact same applicant, you better have a reason for me to say yes or you’re not getting in, because I have plenty of you. That’s the careful part of this.”

3 minutes ago, The_Man said:

Quick update from Law School Application World, where Notre Dame Law School went down in infamy yesterday. Apparently in their admission letters this year, they said deposits are due April 15, or whenever we fill the class with received deposits. At 4 pm they sent an email that the class was 67% full, at 5 pm they sent one saying they were 80% full, and by 6 pm the class was full. So if you had been admitted to Notre Dame Law but didn't put down your $600 deposit by 6 pm yesterday, you are no longer admitted. They basically created a bank run on themselves. There is some thinking this will backfire on them, as people who rushed to make their deposit might still end up enrolling somewhere else, and people who would have gone there but got shut out during yesterday's rush will now go elsewhere. 

It's been a crazy year, record number of apps and a messed-up LSAT curve resulting in too many high scores. Apparently you could fill every seat at the top 111 law schools with a 160+ applicant. Georgetown, which normally gets about 9,000 applicants, is expecting a total of 14,000. Here's a quote from their Dean:

“This is a year like no other,” Cornblatt said. “To give you some numbers, if you were applying to Georgetown with a 3.9 [grade-point average] and a 171 [LSAT score] last year, I would have said to myself, ‘This is real strong. I’ll probably say yes to this.’ Now, with the exact same applicant, you better have a reason for me to say yes or you’re not getting in, because I have plenty of you. That’s the careful part of this.”

Going to be lots of people thinking they are making $200k after graduation, who will be leaving with nothing but debt and regrets in 2024!

• Like 1
On 4/7/2021 at 8:57 AM, The_Man said:

That is just nuts. 

• 2 weeks later...

@bigbottomor any of the other guys with employment experience.  I work for an LLC.  I basically run it and the owners aren't substantially involved.  It is technically owned by another LLC that doesn't generate any revenue or do any business.  A family owns that LLC and has been providing health insurance to the employees in that LLC which solely of the family itself.  Health insurance is not offered to the employees of the sub-LLC.

I think something fishy is going on.  I also came across this.  https://healthcareexchange.com/article/common-ownership-what-are-rules

I used to not care, but last year I bought in record revenue while the owner start charging the sub-LLC all kinds of new expenses to reduce my profit sharing while also receiving a PPL loan that they pocketed.