What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Lawyer Thread Where We Stop Ruining Other Threads (7 Viewers)

So I filed that motion to change judge for cause and avowed I believed that the trial judge, whom I have appeared in front of for hundreds of hearings, is biased towards the state. Filed at 4:56 on the last day.

I went straight to the gym and worked myself into delirium. I'm now about to commence drinking heavily.
Oof
Yeah. IIRC you practice in a rural jurisdiction too, so you know the potential implications. This particular judge was a prosecutor in the area for like 10 years, a JOP for ten years, and was appointed to the Superior Court bench (one of eight) this past year. Off the bench he's a pretty nice guy. As far as I know I have a pretty good reputation amongst the judges. Just incredibly nervous that this may rock the proverbial boat.
Yeah... not sure I'd file that with precisely that terminology.I did request that a federal judge recuse herself from a case, and she did, based on previously representing the State on similar litigation.
In looking at the applicable rule for change of judge for cause (ill will, undue friendship, or favoritism towards a party) I believed it was my strongest, most accurate, and only claim. I put some language in there about how I didn't think the judge had any ill will and that this case was an anomaly to hopefully soften the blow.

But she disclosed that she had a potential conflict and wanted off the case anyway because she was new and it was a procedural nightmare.
Yeah she was probably privately thanking you.

In this case, I think this judge, who holds himself out to be a very moral person (he's a prominent local religious guy too), will be offended and will do what he can to stay on the case. I'm definitely not the first attorney to take this opinion of this judge, but I believe the first to actually make the accusation in a pleading, so as far as I know this may come as a total shock to him.

#### me.

So I filed that motion to change judge for cause and avowed I believed that the trial judge, whom I have appeared in front of for hundreds of hearings, is biased towards the state. Filed at 4:56 on the last day.

I went straight to the gym and worked myself into delirium. I'm now about to commence drinking heavily.
Oof
Yeah. IIRC you practice in a rural jurisdiction too, so you know the potential implications. This particular judge was a prosecutor in the area for like 10 years, a JOP for ten years, and was appointed to the Superior Court bench (one of eight) this past year. Off the bench he's a pretty nice guy. As far as I know I have a pretty good reputation amongst the judges. Just incredibly nervous that this may rock the proverbial boat.
Yeah... not sure I'd file that with precisely that terminology.I did request that a federal judge recuse herself from a case, and she did, based on previously representing the State on similar litigation.
I'm not against motions to disqualify/recuse for well-established cause. "This guy was a prosecutor and tends to rule for the prosecutors' too much" doesn't meet that standard. It's a pain to get a judge who you feel has pre-decided the case against you, but the remedy for that is to build your record and take your appeal.

Oof
I'm not against motions to disqualify/recuse for well-established cause. "This guy was a prosecutor and tends to rule for the prosecutors' too much" doesn't meet that standard. It's a pain to get a judge who you feel has pre-decided the case against you, but the remedy for that is to build your record and take your appeal.
I will say, the judge disclosed and asked for a confidential ex-parte request from any party who wanted her to recuse herself while she considered recusing herself sua sponte. It was a classy move. And she clearly wanted out.

Oof
In my defense, that's not my argument. I kept the arguments to this case specifically and actually noted in the affidavit that I did not have any blanket concerns with the judge or his background.

Oof
I will say, the judge disclosed and asked for a confidential ex-parte request from any party who wanted her to recuse herself while she considered recusing herself sua sponte. It was a classy move. And she clearly wanted out.
Nice. I've had a few judges do that when they knew a particular party.

Oof
In my defense, that's not my argument. I kept the arguments to this case specifically and actually noted in the affidavit that I did not have any blanket concerns with the judge or his background.
What is your argument other than that he ruled against you (and you think he did so wrongly)? It's not just that I'm unsympathetic. I'm coming off of two straight cases before this guy (none of those reviews are from me, but you can guess I wouldn't be giving him 9s). But I'd never make a motion to disqualify or recuse absent a clear conflict of interest. For one thing, I'll lose. For another, I'm not just calling the judge wrong, I'm calling him unethical (no matter how nicely I try to put it), and I don't know when I'll have to appear in front of him again.

Oof
What is your argument other than that he ruled against you (and you think he did so wrongly)? It's not just that I'm unsympathetic. I'm coming off of two straight cases before this guy (none of those reviews are from me, but you can guess I wouldn't be giving him 9s). But I'd never make a motion to disqualify or recuse absent a clear conflict of interest. For one thing, I'll lose. For another, I'm not just calling the judge wrong, I'm calling him unethical (no matter how nicely I try to put it), and I don't know when I'll have to appear in front of him again.
Essentially that the judge failed to even offer my client the opportunity to present any evidence and he heard evidence from a party who hadn't even filed a pleading and was offering evidence not contained in the original pleading, did not clarify or even attempted to discern the actual applicable law, and came to a factual conclusion that no reasonable trier of fact could have concluded without only believing the state's witness any ignoring/disbelieving other evidence which hadn't been impeached/discredited. I get that the last point comes across as whining like I lost, but the first two allege procedural due process violations permitted to the benefit of the state.

I'm in front of this particular judge for multiple hearings on Tuesday. :scared:

Oof
Essentially that the judge failed to even offer my client the opportunity to present any evidence and he heard evidence from a party who hadn't even filed a pleading and was offering evidence not contained in the original pleading, did not clarify or even attempted to discern the actual applicable law, and came to a factual conclusion that no reasonable trier of fact could have concluded without only believing the state's witness any ignoring/disbelieving other evidence which hadn't been impeached/discredited. I get that the last point comes across as whining like I lost, but the first two allege procedural due process violations permitted to the benefit of the state.

I'm in front of this particular judge for multiple hearings on Tuesday. :scared:
And could you not have raised any of these issues on appeal?

Judge Lynn Adelman, a federal district judge in Wisconsin, struck down that state's voter ID law despite the Supreme Court's 2008 decision in Crawford v. Marion County that ruled Indiana's voter ID law was justified. Thought I'd throw this out for the lawyers that might be interested.

Judge Lynn Adelman's full opinion.

And if you give them advice, you usually get rewarded with a rant about what a filthy, horrible profession you're a part of.

Not only do I constantly get asked for free advice from family (though this is rare), friends and friends of friends, it's without fail in an area in which I have no knowledge, leading to the "but you're a lawyer!" response. Like that means I know a damn thing about wills, family law matters, etc. It is extremely irritating to me how willing people are to try to get valuable legal advice for free. Of course I would help family if they asked anything I had the first clue about, but I am not here to give your neighbor's former boss's wife advice, even if I could. We paid a lot of money for our educations and work very hard, not to mention that we can't really give advice without analyzing whether we have any conflicts in doing so and also ensuring we don't accidentally end up with an attorney-client relationship we didn't intend.

I don't call doctor friends to analyze my symptoms; I go to my doctor, with an appointment, and pay for their services.

Thank you for allowing me to :rant: I'm always nice to people when they ask, even though it pisses me off, so it's good to get this off my chest.

I get asked for advice a lot. But if I don't just rubber-stamp what the family member wants to hear, he or she generally just ignores my advice. A typical exchange:

"We think the estate administrator is screwing us."

"No, he's clearly following NY law for intestate succession."

"But you're a Virginia lawyer, not a NY lawyer! How could you know?"

"They teach Virginia lawyers how to read statutes, but suit yourself."

I have one family member who every time he sees me asks me to sue someone for free and he never has anything close to a case.

Like I sat on a park bench and got a splinter. Can I sue the town and force them to settle for some money. Not kidding.

Then there are the family members who only talk to me when they have a problem. And when I help never say thank you.

Ooh my favorite. . I help a family member. Probably 3 grand worth of work. Free. She then goes on Facebook and thanks by name every family member who supported and helped he through her difficult time. Everyone that is. ..... except me.

Question for the lawyer guys: Do friends and family constantly ask you for free legal advice?

I dig graves for a living, and people are always asking me to do "pro bono" work. Usually out in some secluded wilderness, but that's irrelevant.

Just wondering if lawyers have similar issues.
How do you get the holes so rectangular? With nice and neat 90 degree corners? Do you use a level on the bottom? When do you put the ladder in? Have you ever forgot to put the ladder in and then couldn't get out til someone came around to help?

Just received greatest discovery requests of all time:

Request for production No. 1: Produce all documents or tangible things that support the allegations of your Petition.

Request for production No. 2: Produce all documents or tangible things that do not support the allegations of your Petition.

I'm dying over here.
Do they have to pay copying costs?
Response to No. 2: Objection, vague and overly broad. Subject to said objection and without waiving same, attached please find a copy of Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats and a photograph of a dead muskrat.
Print this out and send it to him. All 78 pages of it.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/Opening_delayed_in_trial_of_defendant_ordered_to_represent_himself_.html

Wondering what you guys thought of this... (full story link above)

Joshua Nisbet, a criminal defendant described as so uncooperative with his court-appointed attorneys that a judge stripped him of his constitutional right to a lawyer, was polite, deferential and self-effacing Monday as he began representing himself on the first day of his trial on a robbery charge.

Nisbet, who turns 37 on Tuesday, drew some chuckles from jurors and apologized to a witness he questioned on the first day of his trial in the Cumberland County Courthouse.

The defendant, dressed in a pink-striped shirt and pink-patterned tie, stood in sharp contrast to the obstinate, “paranoid” man described by Justice Thomas Warren when he issued his order – unprecedented in Maine – that Nisbet had “forfeited his right to counsel.”
http://www.pressherald.com/news/Maine_defendant_representing_himself_is_found_guilty_.html

After an hour of deliberation, a jury delivered a guilty verdict Thursday against Joshua Nisbet, possibly the first defendant in Maine to be stripped by a judge’s order of his constitutional right to a lawyer. Nisbet was charged with robbery.

Select images available for purchase in the
Maine Today Photo Store
During the four days of trial in the Cumberland County Courthouse in Portland, Nisbet told the jurors repeatedly that he was not an attorney but no one told them why he was representing himself.

Nisbet did all the talking in his defense while two standby attorneys assigned by the court to assist him sat quietly, only whispering in his ear.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/Opening_delayed_in_trial_of_defendant_ordered_to_represent_himself_.html

Joshua Nisbet, a criminal defendant described as so uncooperative with his court-appointed attorneys that a judge stripped him of his constitutional right to a lawyer, was polite, deferential and self-effacing Monday as he began representing himself on the first day of his trial on a robbery charge.

Nisbet, who turns 37 on Tuesday, drew some chuckles from jurors and apologized to a witness he questioned on the first day of his trial in the Cumberland County Courthouse.

The defendant, dressed in a pink-striped shirt and pink-patterned tie, stood in sharp contrast to the obstinate, “paranoid” man described by Justice Thomas Warren when he issued his order – unprecedented in Maine – that Nisbet had “forfeited his right to counsel.”
http://www.pressherald.com/news/Maine_defendant_representing_himself_is_found_guilty_.html

After an hour of deliberation, a jury delivered a guilty verdict Thursday against Joshua Nisbet, possibly the first defendant in Maine to be stripped by a judge’s order of his constitutional right to a lawyer. Nisbet was charged with robbery.

Maine Today Photo Store
During the four days of trial in the Cumberland County Courthouse in Portland, Nisbet told the jurors repeatedly that he was not an attorney but no one told them why he was representing himself.

Nisbet did all the talking in his defense while two standby attorneys assigned by the court to assist him sat quietly, only whispering in his ear.
He is winning his appeal. I'd bet a considerable amount of monopoly money and bottle caps on that.

Yankee23Fan said:
SeaDogStat said:

Maine Today Photo Store

He is winning his appeal. I'd bet a considerable amount of monopoly money and bottle caps on that.
betcha 100 matchsticks and an autographed photo of Pat Sajak that he loses.

Oof

And could you not have raised any of these issues on appeal?
Not if we don't want this guy as our trial judge.

Question for the lawyer guys: Do friends and family constantly ask you for free legal advice?

I dig graves for a living, and people are always asking me to do "pro bono" work. Usually out in some secluded wilderness, but that's irrelevant.

Just wondering if lawyers have similar issues.
As others have said, all the time.

It's usually not too bad. Most people will have a few questions. I never initially mind answering the questions because odds are they aren't going to listen to me anyway. Also, I pretty much never can give an answer of certainty, so usually it's just letting them get whatever off their chests with the idea that a "professional" is listening.

Where it gets most annoying is when I try to actually work on their case for them. Getting an appointed attorney is pretty easy here so many have been able to get me appointed. Usually these are on DUI cases. Of course, they expect me to be able to find some "loophole" to win an unwinnable case or negotiate a plea which is prohibited by law and are then upset with me that I can't. Where it gets most annoying is when I'm approached by a friend or family member who has some mega complex case in an area I don't practice and expect me to take it for free. Had one recently with a softball buddy who has one of the more ridiculously complex family cases I've come across. I spent like two hours of my time speaking to him (which I would normally charge an hourly rate for) and his SO about it, discussing had ridiculously complex and difficult the case would be. Of course, his SO chimes in that it's great to know somebody like me who can do something like this for free. I explain that we're talking a minimum of 40-50 hours worth of work (there are jurisdictional issue, conflict of laws issue, and the facts bleed into multiple areas of law) and there's just no way my boss would let me work on it for free. I quote a significantly reduced rate, just enough so that my boss wouldn't fire me for losing him too much money. SO gets offended and retorts that I should know that they can't pay that. Found out recently that they have been telling others that I must have something against them because I won't help them. :wall:

Had a deposition today of a defendant who spent the entire deposition lying. Just pure, unadulterated lies.

Best part is his "God Bless you" and "Go with God" b.s.

Oh, regarding that motion I filed. Apparently it's getting around. Had a lawyer come up to me yesterday and tell me he's getting me a gym bag for my birthday. When I looked at him quizzically, he stated that I needed something to carry my giant balls around in.

Not sure how to take that.

Oh, regarding that motion I filed. Apparently it's getting around. Had a lawyer come up to me yesterday and tell me he's getting me a gym bag for my birthday. When I looked at him quizzically, he stated that I needed something to carry my giant balls around in.

Not sure how to take that.
As though you may have permanently pissed off a judge.

I fully admit to having no idea what's going on with most of this thread, including the matter at hand, but given what I've read I am proud of Woz for doing what seems like the right thing, under difficult circumstances. :shrug:

I fully admit to having no idea what's going on with most of this thread, including the matter at hand, but given what I've read I am proud of Woz for doing what seems like the right thing, under difficult circumstances. :shrug:
Yah. I'm not sure I would have felt it's the right thing, but if you do feel that way, you step up and get it done or stop calling yourself a lawyer. Guy wasn't kidding that he should have a gym bag for his balls.

The friends and family thing doesn't bother me too much. I've done a bunch of stuff for friends and family and I don't think even one of them has expected a freebie. On smaller things I've been surprised with a nice bottle of bourbon for my time, on bigger things they've always offered to pay. When and if I charge them I give them a super reduced rate. I'm a midwest, blue-collar guy at heart, and I'm often uncomfortable and a little amazed at what I can charge to do this job. When family and close friends want to pay me I cut my rates and we all end up feeling pretty good about it.

I decided to be a lawyer for many reasons, but I've always said, somewhat tongue-in-cheek that three of them were:

1. To help my friends and family when they find themselves in trouble.

2. To know how best to keep myself out of trouble.

3. To bring trouble to the doorsteps of those folks who deserve it.

I guess I wouldn't be living up to that if I didn't try to actually help my people when they need it.

The ones that drive me crazy are the strangers who think you should be willing to spend hours talking to them about their BS legal issue for free. I don't know how many times I've been stopped in the courthouse by somebody noticing the suit and asking "hey, are you a lawyer?" Early in my career I stopped and talked to all of them. I finally figured out just to hand them a business card and tell them I'd be happy to discuss their case if they want to call the office and make an appointment. The ones who are serious do, the ones looking for a freebie just go away.

Woz --> Don't know any of the details so I can't say if I would've filed that motion. If you thought it was the right thing to do and necessary for your client you had to do it. If you did it with tact and professionalism, and it sounds like you did, then a good judge shouldn't hold it against you in the future. If he takes it personally or can't understand you're doing your job then he's not worth worrying about anyway. Good on you for making the tough choice and seeing it through. Whatever the judge ends up thinking about you he can't say you don't have balls.

The NYT has been making funny video reenactments, word for word, from deposition transcripts.

For example: What is a photocopier?
That's not funny. I've been there too many times.
Same. I didn't laugh once and completely sympathized with the interrogator, who did a good job with a witness who was either stupid beyond belief or more likely obfuscating. The reenactment seemed to want to make us think the interrogator was a jerk, a seriously naive take.

Last edited by a moderator:
The NYT has been making funny video reenactments, word for word, from deposition transcripts.

For example: What is a photocopier?
That's not funny. I've been there too many times.
Same. I didn't laugh once and completely sympathized with the interrogator, who did a good job with a witness who was either stupid beyond belief or more likely obfuscating. The reenactment seemed to want to make us think the interrogator was a jerk, a seriously naive take.
I don't think the reenactment made the interrogator look like a jerk -- just understandably frustrated.

And I think the witness was not portrayed as stupid, but as someone who was giving the answers he was coached to give.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread