What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Lawyer Thread Where We Stop Ruining Other Threads (6 Viewers)

Otis, if you like the people in your office, make enough $$, have hours that are better than other NYC firms, have security and potential to move up -- stay. Nobody cares if you move to a slightly better firm at this point. If you're not making significantly more money, it sounds risky from a security standpoint and possibly quality of life as well.

Otis, if you like the people in your office, make enough $$, have hours that are better than other NYC firms, have security and potential to move up -- stay. Nobody cares if you move to a slightly better firm at this point. If you're not making significantly more money, it sounds risky from a security standpoint and possibly quality of life as well.
Don't do it, Oat.

The only bad thing I see about your situation is the satellite office thing, but you've been dealing with that for 15 years. Having been at a Skadden satellite but Kirkland main office, I thought there were some benefits from being remote to the politicking and other things in the main office (not that there still wasn't plenty of that). Overall, though, that factor is just not enough to overcome all the positives of your current situation. In particular because you don't have a big book of business, you would have to really prove yourself all over again in a new job, at a time in your career where that will be increasingly difficult to do without the book of business. You are just having wanderlust because you have the suburban house, kids, etc. and you're trying to find something to keep things fresh and interesting. Get a puppy instead.
Thanks all. Seems like good advice. Just feeling a little bored is all I guess. :kicksrock:

Back to the grind.

Don't do it, Oat.

The only bad thing I see about your situation is the satellite office thing, but you've been dealing with that for 15 years. Having been at a Skadden satellite but Kirkland main office, I thought there were some benefits from being remote to the politicking and other things in the main office (not that there still wasn't plenty of that). Overall, though, that factor is just not enough to overcome all the positives of your current situation. In particular because you don't have a big book of business, you would have to really prove yourself all over again in a new job, at a time in your career where that will be increasingly difficult to do without the book of business. You are just having wanderlust because you have the suburban house, kids, etc. and you're trying to find something to keep things fresh and interesting. Get a puppy instead.
Thanks all. Seems like good advice. Just feeling a little bored is all I guess. :kicksrock:

Back to the grind.
You really are lucky to have a BigLaw position that you enjoy as much as you do and where you are valued as much as you are for your work, not for being a rainmaker. :thumbup:

Yankee23Fan said:
Henry Ford said:
Also, am currently freaking out about a deposition this morning that's unbelievably important. Haven't had the jitters like this in a very, very long while.
Hate those. Good luck
I've had a full week of depos in one of those cases that keeps me up at night. Today I took the plaintiff; tomorrow I have their financial expert.

I was dreading this week for the past month. It cannot get over quickly enough.

Don't do it, Oat.

Back to the grind.
You really are lucky to have a BigLaw position that you enjoy as much as you do and where you are valued as much as you are for your work, not for being a rainmaker. :thumbup:
Well, if I don't turn into a rainmaker in the coming years, I may start to become a lot less valued..... :scared:

Maybe I'll just pay off the mortgage doubly fast and then get the hell out of dodge. Go do something more fun.

In response to discovery, I sent opposing counsel a DVD with every document placed in the proper response folder. That meant that there were multiple copies of almost all documents (most of them were responsive to multiple requests.) It took me quite some time, but I was thorough and provided all responsive documents, I believe.

I just got an angry phone call from opposing counsel because that attorney got the DVD in, didn't know what to do with it, so sent the DVD off to be printed - which meant they printed multiple copies of all documents, adding up to hundreds and hundreds of extra pages. Counsel is now livid that I would not simply provide a single copy of each document on the DVD.

I'm thoroughly confused.
yeah, what you did is weird and I'd be pissed too.
This is the same opposing counsel who included as two of the discovery requests "produce every document that supports your allegations" and "produce every document or tangible thing that does not support your allegations." It could have been much worse.
Then I wouldn't worry about it. But, yeah. I'm with fish. I wouldn't like to wade through the same documents over and over again just because they are responsive to multiple requests.
They're in clearly labelled folders with descriptive file names. No wading required.
If you produce it, I have to review it. It can be the most clearly marked grouping of documents ever created. Doesn't mean I don't have to go through it all.
Then try to limit your overlapping and obviously overly broad discovery requests.
:lmao: Request 1 - Please produce the contract between the parties.

Request 2 - Please produce all documents which support your allegation that Defendant breached the contract between the parties.

Request 3 - Please produce all documents you intend to offer into evidence at the trial of this matter.

Yes, the contract between the parties would be responsive to all of these requests. BUT YOU DON'T NEED TO SEND ME THREE COPIES OF THE ####### CONTRACT!
"To the extent not previously produced" is your friend. Also, objection, premature. Discovery in this case is in its infancy, and plaintiff has not yet determined what exhibits he will introduce at the trial of this matter. Defendant will be provided with an Exhibit list in accordance with the deadlines provided by the Court.
You produced documents previously? And I'm not looking for an exhibit list. I'm looking for documents you intend to offer into evidence. If you presently know you're going to be offering a document into evidence you are required to produce it now, not in accordance with the deadlines provided by the Court. And you have an ongoing duty to supplement. So if next month you determine that you are going to use another document you didn't previously produce you have to supplement your document production.

Don't #### with me, I know this #### cold. Many a case is won or lost in discovery.

Last edited by a moderator:
In response to discovery, I sent opposing counsel a DVD with every document placed in the proper response folder. That meant that there were multiple copies of almost all documents (most of them were responsive to multiple requests.) It took me quite some time, but I was thorough and provided all responsive documents, I believe.

I just got an angry phone call from opposing counsel because that attorney got the DVD in, didn't know what to do with it, so sent the DVD off to be printed - which meant they printed multiple copies of all documents, adding up to hundreds and hundreds of extra pages. Counsel is now livid that I would not simply provide a single copy of each document on the DVD.

I'm thoroughly confused.
This is the same opposing counsel who included as two of the discovery requests "produce every document that supports your allegations" and "produce every document or tangible thing that does not support your allegations." It could have been much worse.
Then I wouldn't worry about it. But, yeah. I'm with fish. I wouldn't like to wade through the same documents over and over again just because they are responsive to multiple requests.
They're in clearly labelled folders with descriptive file names. No wading required.
If you produce it, I have to review it. It can be the most clearly marked grouping of documents ever created. Doesn't mean I don't have to go through it all.
Then try to limit your overlapping and obviously overly broad discovery requests.

Request 2 - Please produce all documents which support your allegation that Defendant breached the contract between the parties.

Request 3 - Please produce all documents you intend to offer into evidence at the trial of this matter.

Yes, the contract between the parties would be responsive to all of these requests. BUT YOU DON'T NEED TO SEND ME THREE COPIES OF THE ####### CONTRACT!
"To the extent not previously produced" is your friend. Also, objection, premature. Discovery in this case is in its infancy, and plaintiff has not yet determined what exhibits he will introduce at the trial of this matter. Defendant will be provided with an Exhibit list in accordance with the deadlines provided by the Court.
You produced documents previously? And I'm not looking for an exhibit list. I'm looking for documents you intend to offer into evidence. If you presently know you're going to be offering a document into evidence you are required to produce it now, not in accordance with the deadlines provided by the Court. And you have an ongoing duty to supplement. So if next month you determine that you are going to use another document you didn't previously produce you have to supplement your document production.Don't #### with me, I know this #### cold. Many a case is won or lost in discovery.
Yes, Christo, I'm also familiar with the rules of discovery. No one is ####ing with you. Every judge I've ever been in front of has ruled in my favor on every one of the issues you're talking about.

Yeah that's the problem with discovery motions. Our best practices pretty much make them a waste of time. No one is getting sanctioned ever.
Fact is, like a good plaintiff's lawyer, I give the defendant everything. I have no reason to hold anything back. It's contingency - I don't take a case unless it's a great case. And all I have is my client. If he/she looks shady, we lose. But "name all documents you will introduce at trial" is a lazy way of asking for relevant documents. And I truly don't know until after discovery what I will and won't use. So I just object to that question and move on.

Yeah that's the problem with discovery motions. Our best practices pretty much make them a waste of time. No one is getting sanctioned ever.
Fact is, like a good plaintiff's lawyer, I give the defendant everything. I have no reason to hold anything back. It's contingency - I don't take a case unless it's a great case. And all I have is my client. If he/she looks shady, we lose. But "name all documents you will introduce at trial" is a lazy way of asking for relevant documents. And I truly don't know until after discovery what I will and won't use. So I just object to that question and move on.
:lmao:

Don't do it, Oat.

Back to the grind.
Well, if I don't turn into a rainmaker in the coming years, I may start to become a lot less valued..... :scared:

Maybe I'll just pay off the mortgage doubly fast and then get the hell out of dodge. Go do something more fun.
What about in-house with some biotech firm or other company that produces something that interests you?Law firm-wise I think you're in a good spot. You just said you have a shot of being the head of your practice group, no?

Don't do it, Oat.

Back to the grind.

What about in-house with some biotech firm or other company that produces something that interests you?Law firm-wise I think you're in a good spot. You just said you have a shot of being the head of your practice group, no?
Yup. Sounds like it's all but a given in 5 or 10 years. Only reason it hadn't happened now is because the powers that be believe I'm still too young. That said, with that comes a lot of headache and management crap and nonsense that I don't particularly have the patience for. But it's a profitable and safe place to be for sure.

Oh and I can't go in house anytime soon given the new mortgage I take on as of next month. :bag:

Maybe in a few years, a place like Google in house could make a whole lot of sense for me.

Oh and I can't go in house anytime soon given the new mortgage I take on as of next month. :bag:

Maybe in a few years, a place like Google in house could make a whole lot of sense for me.
If you could go to google today, buy a different house if the paycut is that steep. Have you seen their offices?

If you could go to google today, buy a different house if the paycut is that steep. Have you seen their offices?
Been there several times for meals and meetings (Google NYC). It's awesome.

I've got another 5-10 years of slaving left in me. Buy the nice house in the nice town, get the family set, then switch on the cruise control.

Alright, lawyerguys. I'm hoping for some "free" information as I'm a little annoyed with what I've just recently committed to paying for.

Long story short (kind of short), we're building a home and are working with a builder. This builder has been in business here for almost 15 yrs, has an A+ BBB rating, and I've got zero concerns about trust with him. In fact, the main reason we decided to work with him was his transparency in all his dealings and options available to us.

My wife works with someone whose husband is an attorney and specializes in property contract law so we decided to have it run by him to make sure there wasn't anything that could potentially be a problem, especially since it's a larger purchase. I spoke with him over the phone, exchanged a couple emails, sent him the contract that the builder had sent to us that we would be signing soon (and that he's used with all his other homes) and the lawyer essentially changed 90% of the contract. The builder, who is incredibly accommodating, was actually ok with most of it, even though it was completely different, but asked for permission to speak to the lawyer to negotiate on a couple portions. They ended up going speaking twice over the course of 2 days, once for about 90 minutes and came to an agreement.

Next thing I know, I now have a bill for $2700+ for the work he's done (his rate is $250/hr). I'm not quite sure what happened or what we actually gained (other than knowing we should be protected at this point), but this thing exploded into much more than what I was initially expecting. In fact, he let us know that now the contract was much more in our favor even though the contract wasn't something we were trying to "win". Aside from the contract, I will add that he also helped draft a lease for the seller of the home we will be tearing down to build who is staying for an additional month (again, just for protection to make sure we're not liable if something happens to her in that month she's there since she will be our tenant starting the day we close). Of course, I sent the lease over before receiving the lawyer engagement letter and seeing his rate or I probably wouldn't have even bothered.

Is something amiss here? Does that sound like a reasonable amount of time to complete these things? Is it likely all of this should have been done?

I'll hang up and listen.

11 hours to revise a real estate purchase contract and lease? Hell, no.
I'm afraid to even ask how it got there as I'm worried about getting charged for a stupid phone call. I mean, I spoke to him for maybe a total of 30-40 minutes on the phone throughout the last 2 weeks. I'd guess he probably spent another 2 hrs on the phone with the builder. We exchanged probably a total of 20 emails, most of them not more than 1-2 lines.

How do I ask about this? How can I explain that this went much further than what I ever intended?

-fish- said:

I'm thoroughly confused.

you would get slaughtered in courts outside of louisiana.
California, Colorado, Mississippi, Texas and New York seem to have done okay for me so far.

California, Colorado, Mississippi, Texas and New York seem to have done okay for me so far.
california courts that I've practiced in would sanction you for that kind of gamesmanship in discovery.
There's no gamesmanship involved. I don't know what I'm introducing into evidence, but here's everything I have that's responsive to your other inquiries has been perfectly acceptable in every action I've been involved in in California, mostly because, as I noted above, I don't withhold documents in any way.

I will also not be planning a "cornhole," a "retreat," a dinner, a drinking night, or a slumber party with any of you. No offense, of course.
None taken. The last thing that is ever on my list of things to do is spend time with other attorneys.
Honestly, I don't understand the desire to talk about your jobs and clients during your free time. Don't get me wrong, I like my job well enough, but I come to the FFA to get a break from what I'm working on. You people are obsessed!

I will also not be planning a "cornhole," a "retreat," a dinner, a drinking night, or a slumber party with any of you. No offense, of course.
None taken. The last thing that is ever on my list of things to do is spend time with other attorneys.
Honestly, I don't understand the desire to talk about your jobs and clients during your free time. Don't get me wrong, I like my job well enough, but I come to the FFA to get a break from what I'm working on. You people are obsessed!
Even worse I read the thread every day.

Otis said:
Career advice question:

Is it stupid to consider moving firms merely for a change?

I'm in an excellent spot in my current large firm, and have been told I'm the next leader of the practice group. I've been told by the managing partner I'm one of his "stars." I feel a ton of job security, and get to do interesting work. I've come to a point where I can control my hours to a great extent, see my family, and make steady, solid pay. The firm is well positioned for the future. When I lay it out that way, it just feels like too much good to ever walk away from.

The reasons I even wonder about it sometimes: I've been in the same place my whole career. Going on 15yrs now. It just feels like a long time to be in the same place and not know what else is out there. It's like living in a nice town your whole life, and since it's good enough, never going out and exploring the huge world out there. Maybe I feel a little stagnant, have a little touch of wanderlust.

My other gripe is that I'm in NYC but in a satellite office. I am at the mercy of a home office in a culturally different part of the country, and while the brand a modestly strong in my practice area, we are always branded bigger on other areas.

It would be nice to be in a NY based firm, which is strong in my area and branded better in my space. It would and be nice to have management that is better in tune with the NY market in terms of cost of living, lateral recruiting, etc. It would be nice for the guy who set my pay lived in the same area and paid the same for housing.

That's not to say I feel underpaid. I feel very fortunate to make what I do. That said, I suspect given how hot the lateral market is for people in my pracrice area and with my background, I wonder if I could find a firm a bit further up the amlaw rankings and make more money. Though that is not the primary motivator here by any stretch.

The last factor here is I don't have a huge book to call my own. I've worked with a great roster of clients and have contacts that could potentially yield big things, but I would go in and openly say I can't promise any of that. I can tell them my firm believes in me a few I believe in my ability to reel in some big fish, but I can't promise it.

I believe given my background that there is a market for this, and that I could potentially join a higher ranked firm as a partner and make more money. It could be an interesting and exciting change. But I would have little job security then. I'd have to prove myself to a whole new batch of senior partners who may or may not take to me. Who knows how long they'd give me before they expect a big stream of business generation. And the guys who are counting on me at my current firm would be devastated, one in particular.

I'm pretty risk averse with this stuff usually. Am I totally insane for considering it? I can't come up with a really good reason when balanced against all of the positives of my current situation, and yet part of me just wants a change.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks GBs.
If you don't have a substantial book, leaving for another firm is a HUGE risk. You're a partner now. Without a book, you won't make top dollar in the lateral market. And if you were offered enough to make the move worth it, you're at the mercy of the new firm and its partners to feed you work, and many firms and partners will think that's your job. The reason you're fed work now is because of the reputation and relationships you've built with your partners over the last decade. You won't have that right away (or in the first few years) at a new firm. And if (when) you fail to meet expectations in your first couple years, your comp will get chopped after the guarantee expires, and then you'll be looking for the next gig. The next firm will have high expectations, you'll fail to meet them, and in a couple years you'll be looking again. Rinse, repeat. I've seen it a thousand times. If you jump on the lateral train, you better be absolutely sure that you can support yourself and meet profitability expectations. Otherwise you'll find yourself in the cycle of jumping every 2-3 years.

Otis said:

Congrats/condolences on the new place!

bigbottom said:
Srsly. Lawyerin. Stuff takes up way too much of my day already. I wanna come in here and talk boobies and home improvement.

bigbottom said:
Otis said:
Career advice question:

Is it stupid to consider moving firms merely for a change?

I'm in an excellent spot in my current large firm, and have been told I'm the next leader of the practice group. I've been told by the managing partner I'm one of his "stars." I feel a ton of job security, and get to do interesting work. I've come to a point where I can control my hours to a great extent, see my family, and make steady, solid pay. The firm is well positioned for the future. When I lay it out that way, it just feels like too much good to ever walk away from.

The reasons I even wonder about it sometimes: I've been in the same place my whole career. Going on 15yrs now. It just feels like a long time to be in the same place and not know what else is out there. It's like living in a nice town your whole life, and since it's good enough, never going out and exploring the huge world out there. Maybe I feel a little stagnant, have a little touch of wanderlust.

My other gripe is that I'm in NYC but in a satellite office. I am at the mercy of a home office in a culturally different part of the country, and while the brand a modestly strong in my practice area, we are always branded bigger on other areas.

It would be nice to be in a NY based firm, which is strong in my area and branded better in my space. It would and be nice to have management that is better in tune with the NY market in terms of cost of living, lateral recruiting, etc. It would be nice for the guy who set my pay lived in the same area and paid the same for housing.

That's not to say I feel underpaid. I feel very fortunate to make what I do. That said, I suspect given how hot the lateral market is for people in my pracrice area and with my background, I wonder if I could find a firm a bit further up the amlaw rankings and make more money. Though that is not the primary motivator here by any stretch.

The last factor here is I don't have a huge book to call my own. I've worked with a great roster of clients and have contacts that could potentially yield big things, but I would go in and openly say I can't promise any of that. I can tell them my firm believes in me a few I believe in my ability to reel in some big fish, but I can't promise it.

I believe given my background that there is a market for this, and that I could potentially join a higher ranked firm as a partner and make more money. It could be an interesting and exciting change. But I would have little job security then. I'd have to prove myself to a whole new batch of senior partners who may or may not take to me. Who knows how long they'd give me before they expect a big stream of business generation. And the guys who are counting on me at my current firm would be devastated, one in particular.

I'm pretty risk averse with this stuff usually. Am I totally insane for considering it? I can't come up with a really good reason when balanced against all of the positives of my current situation, and yet part of me just wants a change.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks GBs.
If you don't have a substantial book, leaving for another firm is a HUGE risk. You're a partner now. Without a book, you won't make top dollar in the lateral market. And if you were offered enough to make the move worth it, you're at the mercy of the new firm and it's partners to feed you work, and many firms and partners will think that's your job. The reason you're fed work now is because of the reputation and relationships you've built with your partners over the last decade. You won't have that right away (or in the first few years) at a new firm. And if (when) you fail to meet expectations in your first couple years, your comp will get chopped after the guarantee expires, and then you'll be looking for the next gig. The next firm will have high expectations, you'll fail to meet them, and in a couple years you'll be looking again. Rinse, repeat. I've seen it a thousand times. If you jump on the lateral train, you better be absolutely sure that you can support yourself and meet profitability expectations. Otherwise you'll find yourself in the cycle of jumping every 2-3 years.
I hear what you're saying and I've seen that too. It's a risk for sure, probably a very big one.

bigbottom said:
Srsly. Lawyerin. Stuff takes up way too much of my day already. I wanna come in here and talk boobies and home improvement.
Agreed. But when I have to blow off some steam it's better when people actually know what I'm talking about some of the ttime.

Referenced this in another thread. Love hate day at work. Made a grown man with kids cry during my cross of him. So flustered he couldn't talk afterwards. The lawyer in me as I left the building was ready to bed all the women and drink the ale untill all late hours. For about 20 minutes. After that I felt like crap. Yup, That's what I do for living. Woo-hoo. Some people build things or create. I do the opposite.

Nice. I need to be rich. Otis has the right idea.

Referenced this in another thread. Love hate day at work. Made a grown man with kids cry during my cross of him. So flustered he couldn't talk afterwards. The lawyer in me as I left the building was ready to bed all the women and drink the ale untill all late hours. For about 20 minutes. After that I felt like crap. Yup, That's what I do for living. Woo-hoo. Some people build things or create. I do the opposite.

Sometimes the things we do seem to stand in stark opposition to the reasons we wanted to be lawyers. It doesn't change the fact that what we do is an integral part of one of the most impressive systems of access to a chance at justice ever created.

Nice win. Tough day. Sorry those go together in this gig.

Sometimes the things we do seem to stand in stark opposition to the reasons we wanted to be lawyers. It doesn't change the fact that what we do is an integral part of one of the most impressive systems of access to a chance at justice ever created.

Nice win. Tough day. Sorry those go together in this gig.
OK, Atticus.

Mostly, we're just helping one soulless corporation gain a little leverage over another soulless corporation.

Sometimes the things we do seem to stand in stark opposition to the reasons we wanted to be lawyers. It doesn't change the fact that what we do is an integral part of one of the most impressive systems of access to a chance at justice ever created.Nice win. Tough day. Sorry those go together in this gig.
OK, Atticus.

Mostly, we're just helping one soulless corporation gain a little leverage over another soulless corporation.
He does family law. Speak for yourself, soulless corporate shill.

Sometimes the things we do seem to stand in stark opposition to the reasons we wanted to be lawyers. It doesn't change the fact that what we do is an integral part of one of the most impressive systems of access to a chance at justice ever created.Nice win. Tough day. Sorry those go together in this gig.
OK, Atticus.

Would not see this band.

I think I'm ####ed with clawback language on my stock option agreement. Private equity legalese. Damn it. I'm their slave for life, or at least IPO or sale. Ughhh. May have to turn down a very, very good offer to jump ship.

OK, Atticus.

Iol. My client was a family owned closely held corporation in this one.

OK, Atticus.

Are they black?

I think I'm ####ed with clawback language on my stock option agreement. Private equity legalese. Damn it. I'm their slave for life, or at least IPO or sale. Ughhh. May have to turn down a very, very good offer to jump ship.
??? Why would clawback language be relevant here? Maybe you're using that term in a different way than a lawyer would. What's going on? (Also, FINALLY someone is speaking my language in here!)

??? Why would clawback language be relevant here? Maybe you're using that term in a different way than a lawyer would. What's going on? (Also, FINALLY someone is speaking my language in here!)
Assuming he made a bunch of money exercising options while working there, but it also sounds like he's pre-IPO, so I'm confused.

Assuming he made a bunch of money exercising options while working there, but it also sounds like he's pre-IPO, so I'm confused.
You're confused? I understand about three words in that initial post. And one of them is just a series of #s.

ETA: This is a good example though of how, much to the general public's dismay, any given lawyer doesn't know everything about every law everywhere.

We need a lot more info to know what he's talking about.

ETA: I only think of "clawbacks" on options in terms of restatements of earnings and such.

OK, Atticus.

Are they black?
About as WASPy as you could possibly be without just becoming a pile of white powder.

Pffft.

The clawback is probably where he has to surrender any gains made in stock options exercised or in restricted vesting that he has enjoyed. I mean, c'mon, anyone with a computer and google can figure that out.

(That was so awesome how I did the I can figure out the law just as well as a lawyer can because I have a computer. Now I know why people do it.)

Pffft.The clawback is probably where he has to surrender any gains made in stock options exercised or in restricted vesting that he has enjoyed. I mean, c'mon, anyone with a computer and google can figure that out.

(That was so awesome how I did the I can figure out the law just as well as a lawyer can because I have a computer. Now I know why people do it.)
How did he make money exercising options pre-IPO?

Pffft.

The clawback is probably where he has to surrender any gains made in stock options exercised or in restricted vesting that he has enjoyed. I mean, c'mon, anyone with a computer and google can figure that out.

"restricted vesting" is not a term that makes sense. Do you mean vesting of restricted stock?

I know you're joking here, but I'm fairly expert in clawbacks. Have drafted a ton of these provisions.

Pffft.The clawback is probably where he has to surrender any gains made in stock options exercised or in restricted vesting that he has enjoyed. I mean, c'mon, anyone with a computer and google can figure that out.

Well that is actually quite possible.

I think it's best, though, that we just make up our own questions and answer them while he just enjoys reading all this after his drop-in. :lol:

You're confused? I understand about three words in that initial post. And one of them is just a series of #s.
On executive team of a private company. Bought over 2 years ago by BIG private equity firm. Got about 1/2 percent of the company, vesting over 4 years. So let's say I have 50% of that equity vested. We signed a promissory note so that shares would be treated as capital gains when exercised. The problem? Do a google search on Skype. Some guy blasted that he was hosed, even with vested shares, on the sale to Microsoft.The clawback language refers to their right to buy back all vested shares for anybody who leaves the company. We're talking voluntarily or not. Could be fired, go on disability, die, etc. Doesn't matter. If you're a "good leaver", having "good reason" (your job title has been downgraded, your pay dropped by 10% or more, or forced to relocate) after a 5 month freakin' cure period they may have to buy you back out at current fair market value. If you're a "bad leaver" (leave on your own or with cause), then all they have to do is buy back your shares at what you paid for them. So with the promissory note, and interest, I guess technically you could owe them money.

Granted this is all my amateur read, plus comments made by our CFO. If you could leave with vested stock they couldn't keep the management team. So if no transaction such as sale of the company or IPO takes place, if you want anything out of equity you are forced to stay. Could be years after your vesting ends. Make sense?

The google says there any many companies that allow it and I have already found one investment firm with "propietary software" that shows you if you should do so in your company if you have the chance.

This is awesome. Ask me something else........ I don't do criminal RICO cases. Ask me one of them. I've seen every good mafia movie made in the past 100 years.

Users who are viewing this thread