What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Lawyer Thread Where We Stop Ruining Other Threads (5 Viewers)

Is anyone here an ATT Uverse customer? I'm reviewing my bills, and something strange showed up. I'd like to see if this "accidental charge" has hit a bunch of other people as well.
I have ATT internet service but switched a couple months ago to Direct TV for the tube. What should I be looking for?
A 37 cent charge on your internet bill for no reason.
I'll keep a lookout on the next bill. They screwed my account up pretty good when I moved a couple months ago so the last two bills have been weird. Next one should be a regular one.
Check the next 4 or 5. If you pay $39.95 a month or something, it'll suddenly be $40.32. Maybe not even on your physical bill - just on the online account - and they'll take that extra 37 cents out if you have autopay on and you'll never even know it.

The last one they did to me, the 37 cents wasn't on the bill they sent, but when I went to pay it was on my "amount due."

Last edited by a moderator:
Will do. I had a great experience with ATT at my apartment. Switched from Comcast and it was like night and day. But for the past three months they've been a nightmare. When I moved they said they couldn't transfer the old account to the new address but would instead start a brand new account and cancel the old one. I assume this was for the salesman to get a commission out of it but as long as I had service I didn't really care. Then they forgot to cancel my old account and I got a huge bill which took three phone calls and about an hour and a half to get taken care of. Then they cold-called on us at the office and sold us internet service, but failed to show up as scheduled to install so we cancelled and stuck with the provider we have. I was singing their praises for a while, and I'd still use them over Comcast, but I've noticed a downturn in their customer service.

For those of you in here that have never had the good fortune of practicing criminal defense of the indigent, eminence's posts above are a pretty good indication of one of the few major personality types you would encounter in doing so.

For those of you in here that have never had the good fortune of practicing criminal defense of the indigent eminence's posts above are a pretty good indication of one of the few major personality types you would encounter in doing so.
:lmao:

Hoping to getting some input for a troubled former student (went to high school with his mom). He's a 19 yo part time college student that couldn't get a job this summer. He turns to selling weed. He gets set up and jumped by three people he can identify, and robbed of everything; weed, money, iPod, bicycle. He was hospitalized for two days with severe concussion, facial lacerations, and had to get part of his ear sown back on.

Police/DA asked him today if he wants to press charges and are giving a day to consider it. He's worried that he may end up facing charges for distribution. Are his worries legit, or would DA overlook his activities to get the assailants charged and sent to court?

Hoping to getting some input for a troubled former student (went to high school with his mom). He's a 19 yo part time college student that couldn't get a job this summer. He turns to selling weed. He gets set up and jumped by three people he can identify, and robbed of everything; weed, money, iPod, bicycle. He was hospitalized for two days with severe concussion, facial lacerations, and had to get part of his ear sown back on.

Police/DA asked him today if he wants to press charges and are giving a day to consider it. He's worried that he may end up facing charges for distribution. Are his worries legit, or would DA overlook his activities to get the assailants charged and sent to court?
Does he also use foul language? If so he should jump at the exciting opportunity to become a proud Bakers College Baker (God I hope that's their mascot).

Does he also use foul language? If so he should jump at the exciting opportunity to become a proud Bakers College Baker (God I hope that's their mascot).
:confused:

Haven't followed this thread. Just a guy going to local community college looking to transfer this spring to state university.

Ah, the classic "hit a lick" (what it's called when one drug dealer(s) robs another).

Regarding your question, theoretically the two potential crimes (1. the robbery; 2. his drug possession and sales) are unrelated. Accordingly, the status of one should not affect the status of the other. Based on that, I'd say maybe go ahead and "press charges". However, I have some pause for concern because the idea that it is solely up to him to "press charges" is likely wrong. This is a decision only the state can make. What may be happening here is that they went to confirm he's in on testifying, in which case he may be exposing himself to making admissions under oath of the drug stuff and, realistically, any drug case against him could be made stronger.

This is a very complicated issue where the best answer likely hinges on the discretionary policies and practices of this particular prosecuting agency. The kid, if anyone can afford one for him, really needs a lawyer who practices in this particular area (law and geographical) to provide him with the best advice.

For those of you in here that have never had the good fortune of practicing criminal defense of the indigent, eminence's posts above are a pretty good indication of one of the few major personality types you would encounter in doing so.
I showed it to a friend who represents teenagers accused of drug crimes, and he said pretty much the same thing.

Have him talk to a lawyer. Honestly, it's so dependent on jurisdiction. I would never counsel someone to pursue this in Louisiana without immunity from prosecution in exchange for cooperation/testimony - the penalties for distribution are just too high.

I'm sorry, but was the incident anything like : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KSdZyvvhoM

Because that's what I'm envisioning... (warning one curse word in the link)

Ah, the classic "hit a lick" (what it's called when one drug dealer(s) robs another).

Regarding your question, theoretically the two potential crimes (1. the robbery; 2. his drug possession and sales) are unrelated. Accordingly, the status of one should not affect the status of the other. Based on that, I'd say maybe go ahead and "press charges". However, I have some pause for concern because the idea that it is solely up to him to "press charges" is likely wrong. This is a decision only the state can make. What may be happening here is that they went to confirm he's in on testifying, in which case he may be exposing himself to making admissions under oath of the drug stuff and, realistically, any drug case against him could be made stronger.

This is a very complicated issue where the best answer likely hinges on the discretionary policies and practices of this particular prosecuting agency. The kid, if anyone can afford one for him, really needs a lawyer who practices in this particular area (law and geographical) to provide him with the best advice.
Yes, they want him to be witness in court. Should of just said that. Two residences in the area of the assault/robbery have bits of the attack on security video. He would most likely need to go the legal aid route if possible, as he and his mom can barely pay for his 6 hrs of school this Fall. I believe his mother applied to the local legal aid office.

Thanks for your input. I just didn't know what to tell him.

Have him talk to a lawyer. Honestly, it's so dependent on jurisdiction. I would never counsel someone to pursue this in Louisiana without immunity from prosecution in exchange for cooperation/testimony - the penalties for distribution are just too high.
Thanks, I appreciate your input. Put some details in reply to Woz.

I'm going to start by acing this Compositon 1 test. In a court situation, that would prove my aptitude along with my 95% and 98% scores in the other tests I've taken (with the current grade D+ being an outlier). I will apologize for my conduct but explain that it was in response to their mistake. My academic career was not taken with the care one would expect for the amount of tuition charged to a student.

Bad product equals unhappy customers, to place the blame on the customer is insane.

Once I have the Composition 1 course completed, I will get the old grade expunged from the record. From there I will have:

1.) My initial argument.
2.) My grade expunged.
3.) Statements from Baker College suggesting they "misinformed me".

If anything, I will settle for 50% of my tuition back because that is what would be offered had I pulled out when I first messaged my teacher about it. I don't think it would be appropriate to ask for more than what I put into the College.

That's good lawyerin right there

I'm going to start by acing this Compositon 1 test. In a court situation, that would prove my aptitude along with my 95% and 98% scores in the other tests I've taken (with the current grade D+ being an outlier). I will apologize for my conduct but explain that it was in response to their mistake. My academic career was not taken with the care one would expect for the amount of tuition charged to a student.

Bad product equals unhappy customers, to place the blame on the customer is insane.

Once I have the Composition 1 course completed, I will get the old grade expunged from the record. From there I will have:

1.) My initial argument.

2.) My grade expunged.

If anything, I will settle for 50% of my tuition back because that is what would be offered had I pulled out when I first messaged my teacher about it. I don't think it would be appropriate to ask for more than what I put into the College.
Hey just wanted to thank you for your posts in this thread. :lmao:

1.) My initial argument.

2.) My grade expunged.

What's the plan when you fail the comp 1 test?

Get your popcorn ready:

Me:

It is certainly a relief that my goal of graduating in March of 2015 hasn't been put in jeopardy. Hopefully I have as much success on this exam as I did the first one. Again, I appreciate Baker College being so cooperative through this conversation. I am going to pass this test and go forward with an audit.

I really don't want to continue to bother you with menial concerns. Advisor's Name won't return my e-mails any longer, so I am under the impression I may need a new academic advisor? Either way, who could I contact in regards to appealing the grade? I'm not trying to bother you with such trivial tasks.

I do feel as if that behavioral contract is a bit over-the-top. At this point, you guys have at least admitted to giving a lack of information. Assuming there was no miscommunication this whole situation never happens and therefore the contract would have been unnecessary. I do not like the idea of having a behavioral contract with an online University, having that on record would make me feel like a pariah.
I don't expect any further problems but I also didn't expect this to happen. I'm not trying to cause anyone grief.

Her:

Hello BLANK,

Please contact BLAH BLAH using the contact information I provided to schedule your Comp 1 test-out exam. I would suggest you await the test results before you attempt a grade appeal as it may not be necessary, however this is your decision. I will request that Advisor's name send you the grade appeal information.

I have informed Advisor's name that until we have a signed behavioral contract, all communication regarding your academic progress and needs will be addressed by myself. As stated in my previous e-mail, if we do not receive a signed copy of the behavioral contract by August 21, 2014 you be dismissed from Baker College. This requirement is non-negotiable. Should we receive a signed copy of the behavioral contract, we can begin the process of registering you for Fall courses and you may continue pursuing your degree at Baker College.

Best regards,
Me:

Excuse me? First I am withheld from information that caused me to take a course I didn't have to.

Wasting $800 and my precious time in the process. Then my academic advisor doesn't answer my emails or phonecalls so I have to call a different advisor who gives me more false information.

...and because I respond negatively to poor customer service you want me to sign a behavioral contract?

Again, had your institution provided me with the information I needed from the start I would have saved $800 and 6 weeks of my life.

But somehow, out of all of this you want me to sign a behavioral contract as if I am unstable. When in all actuality, I am just a customer who was mistreated.

Refund my Composition 1 class and I will sign your contract.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2dlqut/iama_guy_who_was_falsely_accused_of_molesting_my/

Not too long ago in a state not too far away, but mostly forgotten, I was arrested, tried, and convicted of child molestation. The charges were false, the proof nonexistent, but that didn't seem to matter to the Assistant DAs that were assigned to my case.

The story starts a few years back: It's very long and if it didn't happen to me, almost unbelievable story of lies, theft, overzealous county workers, and betrayal. I swear it would make a great "Lifetime" movie...

All of my troubles started after I found out my (now ex) wife was having ANOTHER affair and stealing money from my bank and credit accounts. I confronted her and after a lot of argument I told her that I wanted a divorce and custody of my son. The next day She starts laughing and saying that my stepdaughter said I had abused her (which was a lie) and that she would be calling the police.

Because MS would have allowed me to sue for denial of affection, and that I had a very good case in which I could not only keep most of my assets (most of which I had long before I married the woman) but also likely get custody of my son and make her pay me child support, she played the trump card that so many do now a days. She called the police and said I did things to my step daughter that I didn't do and got her to relay some of the information to the police as well (however almost none of it matched nor was it consistent, but the ADA didn't care)

Yeah, so my saga started off with my first attorney. He seemed like a decent lawyer and all, but right after I gave him my last payment he tells me that he took a Federal Public defenders position and had to recuse himself from my case. Yay! However, he tells me not to worry because he hired a "really good" attorney (second attorney or Attorney #2) who had tried cases like mine many times and will do really well with my "open and shut case".

Long story short, attorney #2 tells me not to worry and that he's going to hire experts to refute the claims made by my stepdaughter and my ex-wife and have several of my long term friends testify for me and against my ex in court. I give #2 copious amounts of financial and phone records to show that my ex was cheating and having multiple affairs, I also give him copious amounts of text messages where my ex was sending me pictures of my stepdaughter (unsolicited BTW) and conversations showing that she obviously knows the allegations are false.

Fast forward to the trial and the first day Attorney #2 tells the court that our expert is going to show up the next day and that I have several witnesses to testify on my behalf. The prosecutor objects because she apparently never received warning that we would have an expert (she knew I had experts and witnesses because Attorney #2 told her in front of me well before the trial, but Attorney #2 never put it in writing). Regardless the Judge says we can discuss the expert situation when they go over the guys experience before allowing him to testify as an expert. After the trial starts Attorney #2 essentially quits leaving the guy who was supposed to just "help" as second chair to try the case. The only problem is that I never talked to this guy about the case and he was flying blind. When we tried to enter my evidence the prosecutor objects because Attorney #2 never turned in any of my information during discovery. So, in essence this guy never did any of his pre-trial work and we had no proof to back up any of my claims. When the prosecution rests I know I'm in trouble because we couldn't refute any of the lies they were saying because I had no proof or evidence. The next day when the defense is supposed to take the stand I find out that my expert never showed up, even though I had paid Attorney #2 for him, and that there wasn't going to be anyone other than myself to testify on my behalf. FUN!

With no evidence on my side it was all a “he said she said” situation. The prosecutor did well in making me out to be a bad guy because I made good money but wouldn't go see my son (even though she was the one who put a no contact order on me for most of the pretrial time) and that my ex wouldn't agree to the visitation since she had moved out of the state after the start of the whole mess. She also made it out to sound like I never gave my ex money for support, which was a lie as I was giving her over $1200 a month and paying most of her bills to support her and my son, but I couldn't prove it because none of my financial records were allow in as evidence. Anyhow, long story short, with no evidence, no witnesses, and no expert of my side it only took the Jury 4 hours to deliberate and find me guilty.

After the trial I found out that Attorney #2 had never paid my "expert" and that was why the guy never showed up. So not only did he lie to me but also lied to the court saying that I had an expert, which he knew I didn't since he took my money but never paid the guy.

Once I found this out I immediately fired Attorney #2 and found two good attorneys who I nicknamed “The Wonder Twins”. I had to essentially sell everything I owned and borrowed money from friends and family to pay "The Wonder Twins". With their help we were able to place a motion for retrial. This motion normally happens within a few weeks after trial but because the prosecutor knew that we had enough evidence to say my first trial wasn't fair after we had a 6 month continuance on our side they delayed the hearing for another year. So, after 1.5 years I got back into court and was able to start proving that Attorney #2 was infective. However, we never finished the whole brief. One reason was that even if the Judge were to grant me a new trial I would have to stay locked up for another year at minimum waiting for my new trial to start. The prosecution wasn't about to admit that my ex wife fooled them so they kept offering me plea deals to stop everything from moving forward. I denied them until they came to one that dropped the nasty sex charge and let me out immediately. In essence I took a plea for a lesser charge with time served and they let me out. So, yeah, I am a convicted felon now, but I don't have to register or do probation like I would have with the other charge and I get to avoid another trial. (The felony is going to make finding a job a lot harder but again, I got to come home and get out of prison).

I did find it very ironic that I had to lie under oath and say I committed a crime that I didn't do to keep the prosecution from pressing charges on another crime I didn't do.
Next week I am pressing felony embezzlement charges on Attorney #2 and plan to push it through. I have plenty of proof to show he lied to me and to the court about my expert along with many other things. I also plan to do several bar complaints again him and I'm going to try the same with the ADA since she knowing lied during my trial and pressed the case forward after receiving proof that it was not true. I seriously doubt my complaints about the ADAs will go anywhere. I'm also going to start the long process of trying to get custody of my son (if he even turns out to be mine after a DNA test), which I haven't seen since he was 6 months old.

So, that's the very short version of everything. I am leaving A LOT of stuff out since it's too much to put into this AMA.

TL;DR: My ex lied to the police to keep from losing custody and all the assets she had stolen from me in a divorce. I got shammed by a crooked attorney who stole my money and didn't even do cross during my trial and "forgot" to submit any of my evidence. I hire new lawyers, take it all back to court and I win to some extent. Instead of spending 15 years mandatory time I got out in 17 months. I’m and ex-con but at least I don’t have to register as a sex offender.

Edit #1 Here are the links to a few of my legal docs.

http://imgur.com/VIrUZUQ http://imgur.com/D04Jn8S http://imgur.com/9D89m0t
Something doesn't sit right with this guy's story, but if he really was the victim of those unfortunate circumstances he had some terrible luck.

Get your popcorn ready:

Me:

It is certainly a relief that my goal of graduating in March of 2015 hasn't been put in jeopardy. Hopefully I have as much success on this exam as I did the first one. Again, I appreciate Baker College being so cooperative through this conversation. I am going to pass this test and go forward with an audit.

I really don't want to continue to bother you with menial concerns. Advisor's Name won't return my e-mails any longer, so I am under the impression I may need a new academic advisor? Either way, who could I contact in regards to appealing the grade? I'm not trying to bother you with such trivial tasks.

I do feel as if that behavioral contract is a bit over-the-top. At this point, you guys have at least admitted to giving a lack of information. Assuming there was no miscommunication this whole situation never happens and therefore the contract would have been unnecessary. I do not like the idea of having a behavioral contract with an online University, having that on record would make me feel like a pariah.

I don't expect any further problems but I also didn't expect this to happen. I'm not trying to cause anyone grief.

Her:

Hello BLANK,

Please contact BLAH BLAH using the contact information I provided to schedule your Comp 1 test-out exam. I would suggest you await the test results before you attempt a grade appeal as it may not be necessary, however this is your decision. I will request that Advisor's name send you the grade appeal information.

I have informed Advisor's name that until we have a signed behavioral contract, all communication regarding your academic progress and needs will be addressed by myself. As stated in my previous e-mail, if we do not receive a signed copy of the behavioral contract by August 21, 2014 you be dismissed from Baker College. This requirement is non-negotiable. Should we receive a signed copy of the behavioral contract, we can begin the process of registering you for Fall courses and you may continue pursuing your degree at Baker College.

Best regards,

Me:

Excuse me? First I am withheld from information that caused me to take a course I didn't have to.

Wasting $800 and my precious time in the process. Then my academic advisor doesn't answer my emails or phonecalls so I have to call a different advisor who gives me more false information.

...and because I respond negatively to poor customer service you want me to sign a behavioral contract?

Again, had your institution provided me with the information I needed from the start I would have saved $800 and 6 weeks of my life.

But somehow, out of all of this you want me to sign a behavioral contract as if I am unstable. When in all actuality, I am just a customer who was mistreated.

You are a doofus and in way over your head with these people.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2dlqut/iama_guy_who_was_falsely_accused_of_molesting_my/

Not too long ago in a state not too far away, but mostly forgotten, I was arrested, tried, and convicted of child molestation. The charges were false, the proof nonexistent, but that didn't seem to matter to the Assistant DAs that were assigned to my case.

The story starts a few years back: It's very long and if it didn't happen to me, almost unbelievable story of lies, theft, overzealous county workers, and betrayal. I swear it would make a great "Lifetime" movie...

All of my troubles started after I found out my (now ex) wife was having ANOTHER affair and stealing money from my bank and credit accounts. I confronted her and after a lot of argument I told her that I wanted a divorce and custody of my son. The next day She starts laughing and saying that my stepdaughter said I had abused her (which was a lie) and that she would be calling the police.

Because MS would have allowed me to sue for denial of affection, and that I had a very good case in which I could not only keep most of my assets (most of which I had long before I married the woman) but also likely get custody of my son and make her pay me child support, she played the trump card that so many do now a days. She called the police and said I did things to my step daughter that I didn't do and got her to relay some of the information to the police as well (however almost none of it matched nor was it consistent, but the ADA didn't care)

Yeah, so my saga started off with my first attorney. He seemed like a decent lawyer and all, but right after I gave him my last payment he tells me that he took a Federal Public defenders position and had to recuse himself from my case. Yay! However, he tells me not to worry because he hired a "really good" attorney (second attorney or Attorney #2) who had tried cases like mine many times and will do really well with my "open and shut case".

Long story short, attorney #2 tells me not to worry and that he's going to hire experts to refute the claims made by my stepdaughter and my ex-wife and have several of my long term friends testify for me and against my ex in court. I give #2 copious amounts of financial and phone records to show that my ex was cheating and having multiple affairs, I also give him copious amounts of text messages where my ex was sending me pictures of my stepdaughter (unsolicited BTW) and conversations showing that she obviously knows the allegations are false.

Fast forward to the trial and the first day Attorney #2 tells the court that our expert is going to show up the next day and that I have several witnesses to testify on my behalf. The prosecutor objects because she apparently never received warning that we would have an expert (she knew I had experts and witnesses because Attorney #2 told her in front of me well before the trial, but Attorney #2 never put it in writing). Regardless the Judge says we can discuss the expert situation when they go over the guys experience before allowing him to testify as an expert. After the trial starts Attorney #2 essentially quits leaving the guy who was supposed to just "help" as second chair to try the case. The only problem is that I never talked to this guy about the case and he was flying blind. When we tried to enter my evidence the prosecutor objects because Attorney #2 never turned in any of my information during discovery. So, in essence this guy never did any of his pre-trial work and we had no proof to back up any of my claims. When the prosecution rests I know I'm in trouble because we couldn't refute any of the lies they were saying because I had no proof or evidence. The next day when the defense is supposed to take the stand I find out that my expert never showed up, even though I had paid Attorney #2 for him, and that there wasn't going to be anyone other than myself to testify on my behalf. FUN!

With no evidence on my side it was all a “he said she said” situation. The prosecutor did well in making me out to be a bad guy because I made good money but wouldn't go see my son (even though she was the one who put a no contact order on me for most of the pretrial time) and that my ex wouldn't agree to the visitation since she had moved out of the state after the start of the whole mess. She also made it out to sound like I never gave my ex money for support, which was a lie as I was giving her over $1200 a month and paying most of her bills to support her and my son, but I couldn't prove it because none of my financial records were allow in as evidence. Anyhow, long story short, with no evidence, no witnesses, and no expert of my side it only took the Jury 4 hours to deliberate and find me guilty.

After the trial I found out that Attorney #2 had never paid my "expert" and that was why the guy never showed up. So not only did he lie to me but also lied to the court saying that I had an expert, which he knew I didn't since he took my money but never paid the guy.

Once I found this out I immediately fired Attorney #2 and found two good attorneys who I nicknamed “The Wonder Twins”. I had to essentially sell everything I owned and borrowed money from friends and family to pay "The Wonder Twins". With their help we were able to place a motion for retrial. This motion normally happens within a few weeks after trial but because the prosecutor knew that we had enough evidence to say my first trial wasn't fair after we had a 6 month continuance on our side they delayed the hearing for another year. So, after 1.5 years I got back into court and was able to start proving that Attorney #2 was infective. However, we never finished the whole brief. One reason was that even if the Judge were to grant me a new trial I would have to stay locked up for another year at minimum waiting for my new trial to start. The prosecution wasn't about to admit that my ex wife fooled them so they kept offering me plea deals to stop everything from moving forward. I denied them until they came to one that dropped the nasty sex charge and let me out immediately. In essence I took a plea for a lesser charge with time served and they let me out. So, yeah, I am a convicted felon now, but I don't have to register or do probation like I would have with the other charge and I get to avoid another trial. (The felony is going to make finding a job a lot harder but again, I got to come home and get out of prison).

I did find it very ironic that I had to lie under oath and say I committed a crime that I didn't do to keep the prosecution from pressing charges on another crime I didn't do.

Next week I am pressing felony embezzlement charges on Attorney #2 and plan to push it through. I have plenty of proof to show he lied to me and to the court about my expert along with many other things. I also plan to do several bar complaints again him and I'm going to try the same with the ADA since she knowing lied during my trial and pressed the case forward after receiving proof that it was not true. I seriously doubt my complaints about the ADAs will go anywhere. I'm also going to start the long process of trying to get custody of my son (if he even turns out to be mine after a DNA test), which I haven't seen since he was 6 months old.

So, that's the very short version of everything. I am leaving A LOT of stuff out since it's too much to put into this AMA.

TL;DR: My ex lied to the police to keep from losing custody and all the assets she had stolen from me in a divorce. I got shammed by a crooked attorney who stole my money and didn't even do cross during my trial and "forgot" to submit any of my evidence. I hire new lawyers, take it all back to court and I win to some extent. Instead of spending 15 years mandatory time I got out in 17 months. I’m and ex-con but at least I don’t have to register as a sex offender.

Something doesn't sit right with this guy's story, but if he really was the victim of those unfortunate circumstances he had some terrible luck.
Its hard to imagine that any judge would allow an attorney to quit in the middle of trial. He'd have to file a motion to be excused and you'd think even the second chair would know enough to move for a continuance. But who knows. In any case, if the attorney really just bugged out in the middle of trial, that's pretty much a slam dunk ethics case before the grievance commission.

Its hard to imagine that any judge would allow an attorney to quit in the middle of trial. He'd have to file a motion to be excused and you'd think even the second chair would know enough to move for a continuance. But who knows. In any case, if the attorney really just bugged out in the middle of trial, that's pretty much a slam dunk ethics case before the grievance commission.
Yes, that's exactly the part that makes me hesitate to believe this guy's story 100%. Shouldn't the new appointed lawyer get some time to make their own case? I'm terribly ignorant to the law, ready to learn something from this.

It sounds like the other guy was sitting second chair already - so there was an existing attorney of record continuing the trial.

Get your popcorn ready:

Me:

Her:

Hello BLANK,

Best regards,

Me:

You are a doofus and in way over your head with these people.
:goodposting:

Em, you are going to get kicked out and will have no recourse.

Well, the client is not left unrepresented, so Henry is probably right in that it's not a slam dunk. I still think it's highly irregular for first chair to bug out in the middle of a trial. Particularly if he's made a mistake like failing to disclose an expert.

Has this been posted yet?: This Is What Happens When You Ask Reddit For Legal Advice

tl;dr:

Guy is getting divorced. Wife's family is rich and he knows he's gonna get hit by the best lawyers in the city. Asks Reddit for advice. Reddit says: "Book a consult with every good lawyer in the city and discuss your situation with all of them. Then, they can't take on your wife as a client because it's a conflict of interest."

Now, he says, "based on the advice I got I spent the next few weeks talking with like 30 divorce attorneys in town, so that my wife and her dad would not be able to hire one. I never hired an attorney myself because I could not afford one but my wife found one anyway. Apparently they found out what I did, probably because it was so hard for her to get an attorney, and today I just got hit with a motion for attorneys fees saying that what I did was abuse of process, an attempt to deprive and interfere with justice, bad faith, and a bunch of other stuff. And that I have to pay part of her attorney fees because I made it more expensive for her."

:thumbup:
Considering my opinion of the average redditor is that they're a 16-24 year old white male, I'm not surprised.

It sounds like the other guy was sitting second chair already - so there was an existing attorney of record continuing the trial.
Correct. Although I'm still having a difficult time believing the trial concluded without the expert. There should have been "more to the story" on that issue. If the first guy didn't pay as indicated, IMO the second chair (Atty #3?) would have legitimate grounds for a continuance. Would also assume the state would have been previously put on notice of the expert and would have interviewed/deposed him.

I suppose it's not THAT crazy given I just had a judge deny a MTC because our expert was unavailable in a very similar type of case, but there was a clear record made, hearings and evidence was taken on the issue, etc.

I thought you legal lunatics might enjoy this smackdown letter.

http://abovethelaw.com/2014/07/this-lawyer-just-wrote-the-best-smackdown-letter-youll-see-today/2/

I have no idea what's going on here.
A guy with too much time on his hands just billed his client for writing a long-winded letter about another guy writing a long-winded letter, when either could have just picked up the phone.
:lmao:
He seriously is bored

I have to say that the people in the Ferguson debate who don't know the difference between shoplifting and robbery are highly annoying.

Get your popcorn ready:

Me:

Her:

Hello BLANK,

Best regards,
Me:

Oh wow, you're still alive. I guess I lost that bet.

Get your popcorn ready:

Me:

Her:

Hello BLANK,

Best regards,

Me:

Good for you man. Don't sign that thing, that's completely unfair. So what if you cursed at someone, they had it coming!!! What poor customer service. Can you give them a poor review on Yelp?

1.) My initial argument.

2.) My grade expunged.

Pathetic and laughable. Also tiresome. Son, I would not hire you to pick up my dog's ####. Hell, I wouldn't even allow you to do it for free.

Users who are viewing this thread