What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Lawyer Thread Where We Stop Ruining Other Threads (4 Viewers)

I'm so confused.

Anyone have a cool lawyer story to tell?
I drove two hours today to go to a hearing that got continued as soon as I showed up because the judge hadn't had time to read anything.
Do you still get to bill on this?
I'm working on contingency.
Well that blows.
I prepped for three days. Motion for summary judgment that I could have demolished if the hearing was today on purely procedural grounds. Granting it would have been reversible error.

Damn it.

Is 1600 hours a lot of billables? For a year? (Skadden's requirement, according to partner I had lunch with today). He seems to think it is very low compared to other firms.

How much actual work translates to that?
Extremely low, and as a former Skadden attorney, I'm surprised to hear it. We didn't have a minimum when I was there eons ago, but corporate associates averaged 2400ish at that time.
There are some firms that have part time positions - maybe this is the explanation here?
Maybe so.
I have a young friend and Ropes and Gray. 1600 or 1800 "requirement." But if you don't bill 2000, there's a discussion with your partner about what the problem is with your billing.

I'm so confused.

I drove two hours today to go to a hearing that got continued as soon as I showed up because the judge hadn't had time to read anything.
Well that blows.
I prepped for three days. Motion for summary judgment that I could have demolished if the hearing was today on purely procedural grounds. Granting it would have been reversible error.

Damn it.
That's poor form on the part of the court. Granted the court should have been prepared, but failing that the court should have contacted you yesterday and advised you that it was continuing the hearing to a future date.

I'm so confused.

Well that blows.
I prepped for three days. Motion for summary judgment that I could have demolished if the hearing was today on purely procedural grounds. Granting it would have been reversible error.Damn it.
That's poor form on the part of the court. Granted the court should have been prepared, but failing that the court should have contacted you yesterday and advised you that it was continuing the hearing to a future date.
The clerk showed me the docket. Under "Issue" it said "haven't had time to read and consider. Continue 60 days." They typed it yesterday.

I'm so confused.

Well that blows.
I prepped for three days. Motion for summary judgment that I could have demolished if the hearing was today on purely procedural grounds. Granting it would have been reversible error.Damn it.
The clerk showed me the docket. Under "Issue" it said "haven't had time to read and consider. Continue 60 days." They typed it yesterday.
That's crap. I was supposed to have a hearing this morning that the judge knew he wasn't going to be ready for. He had his clerk call us on Wednesday and we rescheduled over the phone.

I'm so confused.

Well that blows.
That's crap. I was supposed to have a hearing this morning that the judge knew he wasn't going to be ready for. He had his clerk call us on Wednesday and we rescheduled over the phone.
So you were somewhere other than bum#### Louisiana, then?

I'm so confused.

Well that blows.
60? 60 ####### days?

You've gotta be ####### kidding me! Is the judge dyslexic?

I hope you told the clerk that you'd be happy to help him with the big words...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so confused.

Well that blows.
60? 60 ####### days?

You've gotta be ####### kidding me! Is the judge dyslexic?

I hope you told the clerk that you'd be happy to help him with the big words...
Yeah, but I said it as "thank you, your Honor."

I'm so confused.

I have a divorce trial in two weeks. My client doesn't understand why a case like hers has to go to trial. I explained to her that in order for there not to be a trial she and her husband have to settle their differences--maintenance and what to do with an investment property. We made an offer. He made a counter-offer. She got mad because it was too low and refused to budge from her offer. She then told me this is not a case that should go to trial. I told her that in order for there not to be a trial they had to settle their differences. She told me this case should settle. I told her to lower her offer. She still hasn't called me back.

She is right about one thing; this is a case that should settle. But it will be my pleasure to go to trial.

Non-attorney here, big fan of this thread.

Instinctive - your posts are interesting and help reinforce my decision to not go to law school. Bar review sounds pretty good though.

Question for you guys, something that's intrigued me for awhile. I was reading about the somewhat recent - a few months ago now - Argentinian debt default. The things I've read and heard seem to indicate the Argentina basically assigned legal jurisdiction to the United States....something like that? So that when the bondholders took the Argentinian government to court, it went through the US court system. Per Wiki: "As part of the restructuring process, Argentina drafted agreements in which repayments would be handled through a New York corporation and governed by United States law." How does this work? It kinda fascinates me how a sovereign country would just willingly allow the US courts to have jurisdiction over their own sovereign debt. Is this a common thing? Is there any way to explain it to a non-attorney like me without making my eyes glaze over?

Is 1600 hours a lot of billables? For a year? (Skadden's requirement, according to partner I had lunch with today). He seems to think it is very low compared to other firms.

Extremely low, and as a former Skadden attorney, I'm surprised to hear it. We didn't have a minimum when I was there eons ago, but corporate associates averaged 2400ish at that time.
There are some firms that have part time positions - maybe this is the explanation here?
He was ver clear that this is the bonus benchmark. They're very proud of it. He said their reputation is a bit outdated in that they have changed a lot to combat some of the negatives but it hasn't become mainstream knowledge yet. Idk if that's true or not, obviously, since I havent worked as an attorney anywhere. But thought it interesting.

These hooligans at Baker College decided that they want to play hard ball.

I assure you, she has not. The conversation was over potentially getting my grade bumped up to a "C", having it expunged, and about ____________. The absence of the grade needing to be a "C" from the syllabus and the poor communication from my academic advisor were never discussed.

Again, I fully intend on signing this contract and making a full payment on my account once my questions regarding my summer Composition I course have been answered. At the very least, I feel as if I am entitled to a 50% refund and to have the grade expunged.

As if I was given adequate information in the course syllabus, was responded to in a timely fashion by my Academic, and given the information from my advisor that a C was needed to pass. I am certain I would have dropped. Please be reasonable with me. I don't have much longer before I graduate with an Associates in Accounting. I plan on retaking a few classes I've gotten poor marks in to get my GPA over 3.0.

Grand scheme of things, I spend about another $10,000 here at Baker College and improve your graduation %.

For you to ignore my claim is to say that it's OK:

1.) For you to withhold pertinent information such as needing a "C" to pass Composition I as opposed to the traditional "D" listed in the Composition I syllabus.

2.) For your academic advisor to ignore my phone call and then take 4 business days to respond to my inquiry about dropping a class. Finally responded back the day before the FINAL day dropping the class for 50% was an option.

3.) For your academic advisor to not take the time to look at my grade, look at the perquisite C needed and help me make a judgment call on what to do. I literally stated in both my voicemail and phonecall,

"I don't know if I can pass this class."

If not found in the syllabus and not acquired when speaking directly to my Academic Advisor, when was I supposed to be made aware of this information? Because I truly only found out once I was rejected for my registration the next session.

Prompting my angry voicemail that instigating this institutions need for a behavioral contract.

Here is my recommendation to Baker College going forward to avoid situations like this with its customers. Because right now, I am very unhappy:

1.) Include in the syllabus of EVERY class the minimum grade required to pass the class. This eliminates confusion and protects you legally.

2.) Make it a requirement for an academic advisor to return a phone call with a phone call or the very least return a voicemail with a voicemail.
The idea that I called my Academic Advisor with concerns about a class I was failing and didn't receive a call back is disheartening. The class cost me $800. That's more than one of my paychecks at my current job.

A courtesy phonecall could have potentially squashed this entire situation. Instead, I failed the class with a 69.5%.

3.) Make it a 1-2 day requirement for all academic advisors to respond back to their students via e-mail. I understand that it can be quite difficult to keep up with the high volume of e-mails received but when there are concerns about dropping classes involved, it should never take 4 days to respond especially after a voicemail and e-mail were sent. Especially when hundreds of dollars of somebody who doesn't gross very much is in question.

In conclusion, I find it very hypocritical that Baker College demands such detail oriented, professional, and time sensitive results from their students in regards to their students but does not reciprocate the same back.

Baker College failed me numerous times over details:

1.) My ability to take the opt-out test (which you've already admitted guilt to).
2.) The requirement to pass the class with a C. This information was absent from the syllabus and not communicated to me when speaking to my academic advisor.

Baker College failed me numerous times professionally:
1.) Not returning my phone call and voicemail.
2.) Insisting I sign a behavioral contract without fully explaining or having discussion about the incident I was upset about in the first place.

Baker College failed me numerous times over time sensitive issues:

1.) An academic advisor taking 4 days to respond back to an e-mail about dropping.
2.) An academic advisor informing me I had 24 hours to decided to drop or not after she spent 4 days to respond.
3.) Refusing to respond back to my inquiries about the incident for over 2-months instead insisting that I sign a behavioral contract and pay my impending balance. Despite the fact they continue to skirt around the reasons that I refuse to do so.

When I screw up the details, I am deducted points without the chance at retribution.
When Baker College screws up details, they are given a chance to fix their mistakes.

When I am unprofessional, Baker College makes me assign a behavioral contract.
When Baker College is unprofessional, they use their implicit power to bully their students and avoid questions.

When I fail to meet time sensitive demands, I am given a '0 points' on an assignment.
When Baker College fails meets time sensitive demands, they place the burden on the student.

This is your last warning, I have been asking for transparency for over 2 months now. I have mentioned my desire to attend your College this upcoming semester on October 15th. The lack of transparency has caused me to consider litigation. Despite every attempt that I make, you refuse to answer any of my questions so I am now under the assumption that I am only going to get answers to my questions through the force of legal action.

I am sick and tired of the lack of communication and the failure for you to take any accountability for your institution. I am giving you 48 hours to do the right thing and respond to my claims. It is currently October 7th, that gives you until October 9th.

If at that point, you continue to ignore my questions and insist that I simply sign the behavioral contract and pay fees as the currently stand I will escalate the matter to The College President. I will then give The College President 48 hours to come to a resolution. This will be at the end of the business day October 13th.

Classes start on October 15th and I wish to enroll in:

1.) Database Applications
2.) Microsoft Powerpoint

Allow me to make a simple timeline for you to follow:

October 7th - Today
October 8th- 24 Hours
October 9th - 48 Hours
October 10th - The College President is contacted.
October 13th - 24 Hours
October 14th - 24 Hours
October 15th - Classes Begin.

I am giving you ample time to respond to my grievances in proper form. If I a not enrolled in classes by October 15th that will be a result of Baker College refusing to provide me with transparency that I have been asking for, for over 2 months. At that point you can expect to be summons. I will summons the following people:

Composition I Instructor
Dean of Students
President of Online Academics
President of Baker College

I look forward to receiving the answers to my questions that I have been requesting for nearly 2 months now. I was being patient with this institution but it's clear that you have no intent to fairly respond to my claims. Thankfully we have the justice system for situations like this.

I suggest you have your lawyers study up as there are multiple legal precedencies that support my argument. I will certainly use all the information that I have along with these legal precedencies (previous judgments) to support my case.

Please work with me here. I am simply trying to finish my Associates in Accounting and move on to bigger and better things with my life.

Best regards,

My Name

I could barely understand that. That poor academic advisor, no wonder he ignored it, he'd have to hire a translator of gobbledy#### to get through that mess.

Listen guys, I don't know any legal mumbo jumbo but I know that common sense prevails.

1.) Nowhere in the syllabus of Composition I does it state that a 70% is required to achieve credit in the class. I ended up with a 69.5%.

2.) I would have passed the class had my instructor accepted an assignment I turned in late my 1st week of class. He cited the syllabus as the reasoning he could not accept the grade.

3.) Within the 1st week of the class, I was getting an 'F' in the class. I left a voicemail with my Academic Advisor which she did not respond about potentially dropping the class. I then e-mailed my instructor about dropping the class in which she took 4 business days to respond. What was the conclusion of the e-mail?

That I had 24 hours to decide if I wanted to drop the class for a half refund.

What type of institution ignores a voicemail, takes 4 days to respond to an e-mail, and then tells you that you have 24 hours to decide if you want to drop the class or not?

Listen guys, I don't know any legal mumbo jumbo but I know that common sense prevails.

1.) Nowhere in the syllabus of Composition I does it state that a 70% is required to achieve credit in the class. I ended up with a 69.5%.

2.) I would have passed the class had my instructor accepted an assignment I turned in late my 1st week of class. He cited the syllabus as the reasoning he could not accept the grade.

3.) Within the 1st week of the class, I was getting an 'F' in the class. I left a voicemail with my Academic Advisor which she did not respond about potentially dropping the class. I then e-mailed my instructor about dropping the class in which she took 4 business days to respond. What was the conclusion of the e-mail?

What type of institution ignores a voicemail, takes 4 days to respond to an e-mail, and then tells you that you have 24 hours to decide if you want to drop the class or not?
1. Brevity. Live it, Learn it, Love it.

2. Why don't you just take the classes, do well in some, screw some, and get a classic 3.0? There's a lot of :ptts: 'ing going on here.

1. Brevity. Live it, Learn it, Love it.

2. Why don't you just take the classes, do well in some, screw some, and get a classic 3.0? There's a lot of :ptts: 'ing going on here.
Lot more problems than brevity there.

Em,

No offense but do you really need to F*** up an actual good thread with your nonsense?

Em,

No offense but do you really need to F*** up an actual good thread with your nonsense?
Nonsense? I am being screwed out of $400+ due to my College's lack of ability to communicate. All I am asking is for a 50% refund and for the grade to be expunged. Which isn't unreasonable considering I likely would have dropped the class if:

1.) It was made known to me that a 70% was needed to pass.

2.) I was given more than a 24 hours notice to drop.

The College has an opportunity to set things right by admitting a hole in their curriculum by not listing the requirements to PASS THE CLASS in the syllabus and making amends for a boner made by one of their academic advisors.

Tell me how I'm wrong.

Tell me how I'm wrong.
No.

Nobody is interested in your predicament. It's nothing any of us would take on as a matter. That doesn't mean that you can't try to be such a pain in the ### that the college refunds you some money. People do that all the time.

But nobody here is interested in it, and nobody's going to give you any advice, because that advice would boil down to "turn in your work on time and try to know the grading requirements in any class you decide to take."

Tell me how I'm wrong.
No.

Nobody is interested in your predicament. It's nothing any of us would take on as a matter. That doesn't mean that you can't try to be such a pain in the ### that the college refunds you some money. People do that all the time.

But nobody here is interested in it, and nobody's going to give you any advice, because that advice would boil down to "turn in your work on time and try to know the grading requirements in any class you decide to take."
Dude, nobody's posted in this thread for 4 days now. I was attempting to get some type of read on whether I was on the right path to getting my $400 back and the grade expunged. I figure since everyone enjoyed chastising me in other threads about how low my GPA was, that an attempt to expunge a "D" from my record would garner similar interest, no?

If not, then they were clearly only being spiteful in which case gives me even more fuel to want to be spiteful and annoy other people on these boards. What goes around comes around, right?

Skadden, huh, surprised - 1600 hours i not much at all.
I wouldn't buy into that at all. There's no way a Skadden associate who is billing 1600 is considered to be performing well notwithstanding bonus eligibility or whatever.

The kind that will accept you.

Attorneys practicing in Arizona (looking at you, Zow):

I need to know whether anyone puts out an Eason's-type book of damage awards for Arizona. I have a friend who lives there I'm trying to point in the right direction regarding a soft-tissue injury in a car accident, and I just have no sense of what's a reasonable award for a 6-month treatment soft tissue injury from a rear-end collision. He wants to handle this himself, and I just can't really advise him on this.
Just saw this. Will respond in due time.

Update: There are rumors of such, but no book that any of my PI attorney friends are aware of. I tried to track one down awhile back as well on my only PI case and came up empty.

Once you start taking your Powerpoint class, can you please post the syllabus? I'm genuinely curious. Also, I'm not sure why, but "I will summons" made me crack up.

Bragging time: just settled my first relatively big tort case. :pickle:
You representing the bakery or the customer?
Zing away, my good man. For today I made an injured person whole. And by that I mean I got him some money he can blow on frivolous items while his quality of life is forever diminished because of the injuries he suffered that were caused by someone else/others.

Bragging time: just settled my first relatively big tort case. :pickle:
You representing the bakery or the customer?
Zing away, my good man. For today I made an injured person whole. And by that I mean I got him some money he can blow on frivolous items while his quality of life is forever diminished because of the injuries he suffered that were caused by someone else/others.
It wasn't a zing...it was a pun.

You're going to work. A lot. You're going to work late nigts. They'll feed you to make you feel better. You're going to work weekends. You're going to miss fun things in your life. You are inevitably going to work for at least one (1) stressed out major #####. You won't like it. In the end you're going to make some money and wear your hours number like a twisted badge of honor.

Welcome, my son, to associate life at a big law firm. We've been expecting you.

PS...you're not going to change the world in any appreciable way. You're a cog,one of thousands, inside a machine which understands that your useful life is limited given the system and billing rates. The machine expects, no, needs you statistically to wash out in a few years to make room for the new crop.

PS...you're not going to change the world in any appreciable way. You're a cog,one of thousands, inside a machine which understands that your useful life is limited given the system and billing rates. The machine expects, no, needs you statistically to wash out in a few years to make room for the new crop.
Now this is thinking like a lawyer.

Users who are viewing this thread