What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Lawyer Thread Where We Stop Ruining Other Threads (6 Viewers)

People, if you don't do M&A work for a living, please don't try to "dabble" in it. You'd think it might be easier from a negotiation standpoint to deal with a lawyer who has absolutely no idea what he is doing, but it makes my job a billion times harder. For ####'s sake.
You can say this about alot of fields for sure.
Oh, absolutely.
My favorite is divorce attorneys who try to do real estate.
I'd imagine anyone who doesn't regularly do real estate trying to do it would be a disaster.

I work primarily in two areas, M&A and securities/finance. I don't come across people trying to do the latter who don't regularly do it, I suppose because there is a lot of actual law/regulation involved. But now and then I end up dealing with someone who thinks they can do M&A and it is completely freaking painful. This guy, and I am not making this up, actually doesn't even know what the concept of a closing date is.
Great post, Krista. I imagine you see fewer dabblers in securities because of the relatively stringent addendum you have to fill out to get malpractice insurance if you indicate you practice in that particular area, as well as the increased premium cost, which is significant.

It is funny how many people think they can moonlight in M&A. I am by no means a full-time practitioner in the field but when I got into it I knew enough to learn it cold (and follow a friend on two deals with his client's permission) first. On my highest-dollar deal (which was not geologically significant in terms of the money involved, about $15-20MM), two of the three other counsel (representing minority stakeholders) were from small firms obviously just trying to tell their clients, "sure, we can handle a merger!" I'd estimate that educating them and dealing with their value-subtracting nonsense added 30-40 hours to the legal fee cost, maybe more.
Hmmm, didn't know that about malpractice insurance (I've never applied for my own). I'm sure that is a big factor.
Yea at my firm job they scared the bejesus out of us re anything that remotely smelled like a securities offering. "We don't have coverage for that!!!"

People, if you don't do M&A work for a living, please don't try to "dabble" in it. You'd think it might be easier from a negotiation standpoint to deal with a lawyer who has absolutely no idea what he is doing, but it makes my job a billion times harder. For ####'s sake.
Oh, absolutely.
I'd imagine anyone who doesn't regularly do real estate trying to do it would be a disaster.

I work primarily in two areas, M&A and securities/finance. I don't come across people trying to do the latter who don't regularly do it, I suppose because there is a lot of actual law/regulation involved. But now and then I end up dealing with someone who thinks they can do M&A and it is completely freaking painful. This guy, and I am not making this up, actually doesn't even know what the concept of a closing date is.
Hmm. I know what a closing date is. I could probably do M&A work on the side.
:lmao: actually I just remembered at coshole I asked you what type of stuff you did, you said "M&A," which in my head was "MNA," and then I had to ask what that was.

Oh, absolutely.

Great post, Krista. I imagine you see fewer dabblers in securities because of the relatively stringent addendum you have to fill out to get malpractice insurance if you indicate you practice in that particular area, as well as the increased premium cost, which is significant.

It is funny how many people think they can moonlight in M&A. I am by no means a full-time practitioner in the field but when I got into it I knew enough to learn it cold (and follow a friend on two deals with his client's permission) first. On my highest-dollar deal (which was not geologically significant in terms of the money involved, about $15-20MM), two of the three other counsel (representing minority stakeholders) were from small firms obviously just trying to tell their clients, "sure, we can handle a merger!" I'd estimate that educating them and dealing with their value-subtracting nonsense added 30-40 hours to the legal fee cost, maybe more.
Hmmm, didn't know that about malpractice insurance (I've never applied for my own). I'm sure that is a big factor.
Yea at my firm job they scared the bejesus out of us re anything that remotely smelled like a securities offering. "We don't have coverage for that!!!"
Zactly. I used to carry it but dropped it because it wasn't worth marketing for the non-litigation aspect of the field. Krista, figured you might not be aware of that wrinkle.

Oh, absolutely.
I do both. Fairly well. But you are correct. Although I see more of the real estate guys trying to a divorce because "it's simple."
If I had a choice of doing divorce/family law work or chopping off a finger, I'd take the finger in a heartbeat. I don't know how you people do it.
Yeah I have a disputed probate matter that is sibling vs. sibling. It will be the last contested probate matter I do.
I do them too. Just finished one today. Just as worse as divorce - only different is that you aren't dealing with little kids.

Thorn, I didn't remember that so you didn't have to admit it. :lmao:

Why is the malpractice insurance so particularly bad for securities work? Are there other areas of law that have that issue, too?

Why is the malpractice insurance so particularly bad for securities work? Are there other areas of law that have that issue, too?
I assume it's just that it's so intricate, most of us aren't likely to pick it up along the way, and frankly, a wronged client is going to be sophisticated enough to notice if there is a malpractice claim available to them. We have a little bit of a spike in ours for how much transactional real estate work we do, but I don't think it's anything close to

I assume it's just that it's so intricate, most of us aren't likely to pick it up along the way, and frankly, a wronged client is going to be sophisticated enough to notice if there is a malpractice claim available to them. We have a little bit of a spike in ours for how much transactional real estate work we do, but I don't think it's anything close to
M&A lawyers love to promote this notion - its all soooo complicated and sophisticated, you really can't possibly understand all this stuff we do!

M&A lawyers love to promote this notion - its all soooo complicated and sophisticated, you really can't possibly understand all this stuff we do!
Um, the reference was to securities law. Securities laws and regulations are indeed complicated, and some areas could be characterized as sophisticated, I suppose. M&A, on the other hand, is not complicated from a legal standpoint IMO but is much more of an art.

Last edited by a moderator:
Krista is practicing again? Welcome back to the fray. You poor bastardess you.

Zed, a tough spot. I agree with the above that checking local bar association websites and emails is a good idea. I recognize the IP space is hot lately, but we have emails pretty regularly with job postings from local associations and the like. Maybe a lead there? It still seems to me a ln in house gig is your best bet, so I would also keep looking and trying to network there.

Final point in response to some comments in the last page or two. Yes this job can be miserable. My wife can tell if i had a particularly bad day immediately by the number of Mega Millions tickets I have in my pocket when I get home. Effing TGIF everyone.

Zed, a tough spot. I agree with the above that checking local bar association websites and emails is a good idea. I recognize the IP space is hot lately, but we have emails pretty regularly with job postings from local associations and the like. Maybe a lead there? It still seems to me a ln in house gig is your best bet, so I would also keep looking and trying to network there.

Final point in response to some comments in the last page or two. Yes this job can be miserable. My wife can tell if i had a particularly bad day immediately by the number of Mega Millions tickets I have in my pocket when I get home. Effing TGIF everyone.
I had less than two months of not practicing, early August to late September 2013. I've been back in the fray for over a year, but with much, much less fray. :)

TGIF right back atcha.

I've checked and I've applied everywhere... Most places aren't looking at all for what I do and the places that are looking either deem me too experienced or ding me for not having my own book of business. I have an interview scheduled in a couple weeks with a small local firm that will likely lowball me incredibly if they do extend an offer, but that's my only possibility at the moment. Not being able to find a job can be so incredibly soul crushing and decimating to your self-worth.

In trying to think outside the legal box, I've recently contacted a bunch of executive recruiter firms about joining them and making a career change. I actually did some exec. recruiter work right before law school and it seemed alright. I'm not sure what the pay will be like though just starting out. One reputable local place contacted me yesterday for an interview next week. I'm not sure if it will go anywhere, but it is worth exploring.

A good friend is going through a crazy custody battle. Trial was this week. His ex wife, who had claimed that she was afraid of him, was confronted with dozens of profanity-laden texts that she had sent him, as well as some describing sex acts that she was supposedly engaging in while texting him.

She started dramatically sobbing, to the point that her own lawyer stood up and said, "Objection! Reactionary!" I have no idea what this was supposed to mean. The judicial assistants started laughing, and the judge reminded her lawyer that he couldn't object to his own witness' theatrics. Family law is the absolute worst.
:lmao:

I think this beats this defense attorney I saw make the following objection during a bench trial where the State moved to enter a piece of evidence , "Your honor, I object. It's just.... well, I don't know the objection, but... this just isn't right!"

So I had a Marine go off on me in Court a little bit ago because I didn't salute the flag or say the pledge of allegiance. I am the criminal defense attorney appointed to all the Veterans involved in our Vet Court (a therapeutic court, kinda like drug court but for Vets, for which my office does the defense work for at a significantly low fee) and there's this group of marines that always leads the Court in taps and the pledge or some such before Court. I always stop working, stand, and keeps my hands folded when we do it but I don't salute or say the pledge. Somebody behind me took offense and told me all court officials should be required to pledge. Made me feel badly that this guy served and he took offense, but to be honest I just find the notion of pledging my allegiance to a governmental group to be kinda silly. Nonetheless, I quickly became a lawyer scumbag and flag-burning hippie liberal in just a few moments. Yay Friday and trying to do a good deed.

A good friend is going through a crazy custody battle. Trial was this week. His ex wife, who had claimed that she was afraid of him, was confronted with dozens of profanity-laden texts that she had sent him, as well as some describing sex acts that she was supposedly engaging in while texting him.

She started dramatically sobbing, to the point that her own lawyer stood up and said, "Objection! Reactionary!" I have no idea what this was supposed to mean. The judicial assistants started laughing, and the judge reminded her lawyer that he couldn't object to his own witness' theatrics. Family law is the absolute worst.
I was in small claims court one time and they were calling the docket to see who had actually shown up. If your opponent doesn't show up, you win. There was an attorney there who was a year ahead of me in law school who became locally famous for flunking the bar 6 times and getting special accommodations for his seventh (and successful) try.

Judge calls "party A versus party B"

Lucky 7: "For the plaintiff, your honor."

Seeing on one else rise, judge calls for party B a couple of times, then looks to Lucky 7, expecting him to request a default judgment. Instead, Lucky 7 proudly announces, "your honor, I request this matter be dismissed."

Judge's eyes narrow and he says "excuse me?" Lucky 7 repeats his request for a dismissal. Judge instructs him to approach.

After some hushed discussion at the bench, Lucky 7 steps back and sheepishly says, "default judgment please, your honor."

"Granted."
Jesus

So I had a Marine go off on me in Court a little bit ago because I didn't salute the flag or say the pledge of allegiance. I am the criminal defense attorney appointed to all the Veterans involved in our Vet Court (a therapeutic court, kinda like drug court but for Vets, for which my office does the defense work for at a significantly low fee) and there's this group of marines that always leads the Court in taps and the pledge or some such before Court. I always stop working, stand, and keeps my hands folded when we do it but I don't salute or say the pledge. Somebody behind me took offense and told me all court officials should be required to pledge. Made me feel badly that this guy served and he took offense, but to be honest I just find the notion of pledging my allegiance to a governmental group to be kinda silly. Nonetheless, I quickly became a lawyer scumbag and flag-burning hippie liberal in just a few moments. Yay Friday and trying to do a good deed.
If the pledge is going on just say the ####### pledge dude.

If the pledge is going on just say the ####### pledge dude.
#### that. Those Marines served so wozzow didn't have to say the pledge.

A lawyer I've known a long time, who's also a good friend of mine, took me out for drinks last night. He's got a small transactional firm and he does some litigation, mostly bringing clients in to share with full litigation firms and splitting the fee. We work together a lot.

He told me he wanted me to join his firm as a full partner, wanted to set me up with a draw for a full year's worth of salary at my current level while my litigation portion gets rolling. That was the gist. Basically, he said he was looking to invest his money and decided his best possible investment was to bring me on as a partner. It was incredibly flattering.

I'm seriously considering. It's scary as hell.

A lawyer I've known a long time, who's also a good friend of mine, took me out for drinks last night. He's got a small transactional firm and he does some litigation, mostly bringing clients in to share with full litigation firms and splitting the fee. We work together a lot.

He told me he wanted me to join his firm as a full partner, wanted to set me up with a draw for a full year's worth of salary at my current level while my litigations portion gets rolling. That was the gist. Basically, he said he was looking to invest his money and decided his best possible investment was to bring me on as a partner. It was incredibly flattering.

Wow. Huge. Congrats -- sounds like an awesome opportunity.

What's your percentage salary upside? What's your downside risk? Other pros/cons?

I've checked and I've applied everywhere... Most places aren't looking at all for what I do and the places that are looking either deem me too experienced or ding me for not having my own book of business. I have an interview scheduled in a couple weeks with a small local firm that will likely lowball me incredibly if they do extend an offer, but that's my only possibility at the moment. Not being able to find a job can be so incredibly soul crushing and decimating to your self-worth.

In trying to think outside the legal box, I've recently contacted a bunch of executive recruiter firms about joining them and making a career change. I actually did some exec. recruiter work right before law school and it seemed alright. I'm not sure what the pay will be like though just starting out. One reputable local place contacted me yesterday for an interview next week. I'm not sure if it will go anywhere, but it is worth exploring.
Zed, a guy I summered with made the leap and has been doing this for some years. I've also come to know a few other HHs over the years. Let me know if you want me to connect you with anyone to explore this option.

Seems to me you'd also have a valuable background in the non-legal part of the banking industry. A BIL of mine got a law degree and couldn't get a law job coming out, ended up going to Moody's and doing bond rating. A few years later and his career seems to be going really well. Something like that seems like it could be a decent fit for you?

He told me he wanted me to join his firm as a full partner, wanted to set me up with a draw for a full year's worth of salary at my current level while my litigations portion gets rolling. That was the gist. Basically, he said he was looking to invest his money and decided his best possible investment was to bring me on as a partner. It was incredibly flattering.

Wow. Huge. Congrats -- sounds like an awesome opportunity.

What's your percentage salary upside? What's your downside risk? Other pros/cons?
Downside risk is not having a steady paycheck after the first year. My upside potential is enormous. If it works out, I would expect to triple my take home in 3-5 years. 5x my current take home wouldn't be surprising.Pros are the ability to create exactly the firm I want from the ground up, work from home most of the time, work with my best friend, and pretty much everything except the risk of not having a steady paycheck.

I'm very risk averse following a terrible financial decision years ago in starting a similar partnership. It's kept me in a job where I'm making a fraction of what I'm worth with zero prestige.

If the only risk is steady paycheck do it and don't look back. Best decision i ever made.
It'll take between six months and a year to deal with the logistics of what he needs to do and what I need to do to set up what we talked about, but if it all comes to fruition I think I'm going to.

I'd give my chance of succeeding - getting things to a point where I'm making a minimum of what I make now - at probably 90% or more. And if that doesn't work, I can take contract work during slow times.

If the only risk is steady paycheck do it and don't look back. Best decision i ever made.
It'll take between six months and a year to deal with the logistics of what he needs to do and what I need to do to set up what we talked about, but if it all comes to fruition I think I'm going to.
So this is setting up a new practice or joining his existing firm? What logistics?
He's essentially a solo practitioner right now, though he has a firm, some support staff, etc.On my end I need to see his financials, set up a passthrough corp to be the partner in the business, and complete a few cases I have going on with my current firm that I can't take with me and need to handle. The split with my current firm will end badly.

Also, given that he's not a litigator, his operating accounts aren't equipped to handle plaintiff work right now. We both need to heavily contribute to something to be able to afford to hire experts, etc.

So this is setting up a new practice or joining his existing firm? What logistics?
He's essentially a solo practitioner right now, though he has a firm, some support staff, etc.On my end I need to see his financials, set up a passthrough corp to be the partner in the business, and complete a few cases I have going on with my current firm that I can't take with me and need to handle. The split with my current firm will end badly.

Also, given that he's not a litigator, his operating accounts aren't equipped to handle plaintiff work right now. We both need to heavily contribute to something to be able to afford to hire experts, etc.
That's the tough part with plaintiff's contingency work. I took on a great case but now have to come up with about $15k in the next 2 months for a valuation expert.

That's the tough part with plaintiff's contingency work. I took on a great case but now have to come up with about $15k in the next 2 months for a valuation expert.
Yep. Costs and expenses are huge outlays.

I'd give my chance of succeeding - getting things to a point where I'm making a minimum of what I make now - at probably 90% or more. And if that doesn't work, I can take contract work during

slow times.
No brainer then. Especially if you're on a draw.

All you guys are plaintiffs contingency lawyers? Medmal? Other?

Anyone else spend the day at a divorce trial asking a client about her husband raping her twice then having the judge question your professionalism for not convincing her to just ask for a divorce due to irreconcilable differences?

Well, judge. She made the decision that she wasn't letting the ******* off that easy. It's not like I had fun doing it.
Our judges make it very clear to us that if we are going to put a divorce through under any circumstances that not irreconcilable differences that they won't be happy. So I feel your pain. I have never had a client refuse to listen to me on that one but I know people that have.
In my ignorance I had assumed that every state had long since gone to no fault divorce.

I am, with the exception of my LHWCA work, which is hourly by law. But the defendants end up paying that.MedMal, discrimination, civil rights, PI, Jones Act, insurance law, etc.

Otis said:
OC Zed said:
Otis said:

Zed, a guy I summered with made the leap and has been doing this for some years. I've also come to know a few other HHs over the years. Let me know if you want me to connect you with anyone to explore this option.

Seems to me you'd also have a valuable background in the non-legal part of the banking industry. A BIL of mine got a law degree and couldn't get a law job coming out, ended up going to Moody's and doing bond rating. A few years later and his career seems to be going really well. Something like that seems like it could be a decent fit for you?
Thanks, ya, I might be interested in speaking with them - particularly if they are on the retainer-based and/or executive (not exclusively legal) side. The market is saturated with the contingency guys so it's always feast or famine for them which is what I'm trying to move away from at the moment. I've actually applied to a few of those places too, but haven't received any interest back unfortunately.

I'm very open to getting back into the banking world, but the local jobs are more of the traditional commercial/retail banking (not really the i-banking/credit rating stuff) which don't necessarily translate well with my background. It's a possibility, but it would be a pretty significant pay cut for a lot of the positions I would be considered for. I wouldn't rule it out down the road, but I'd prefer to get something that allows me to pay the mortgage and keep the house.

The executive retainer-based headhunter route seemed interesting to me as it seems like relatively low barriers for entry... I already have a basic familiarity with the real estate, banking and legal industries which I can leverage a lot of existing contacts without needing years of technical experience of the jobs themselves.

Otis said:
Henry Ford said:
Christo said:
Henry Ford said:
Leeroy Jenkins said:
Henry Ford said:
Yankee23Fan said:

My case is a shareholders' dispute.

I'm assistant general counsel of a large real estate firm. We deal exclusively in multifamily housing. I'm in charge of litigation oversight now and plaintiff attorneys are the bane of my existence.

Zow said:
The founding fathers hated loyalty pledges. That's why there wasn't one until the socialists wrote one.

Summer Employment thoughts:

Any money I make above $6000 and taxes will reduce my tuition fellowships, and if I take non-paid work Stanford will give me a fellowship to pay housing and food all summer (except for a judicial externship). Just wanted that thought up front, so don't tell me firm work b/c money, as I break even after they reduce my tuition fellowship by the amounts I would make.

Options:

• A non-profit in DC that interests me, and should give me the chance to do quite a bit of writing. Upside: I know people in DC and may be able to pocket some of the summer fellowship and use on tuition next year.
  • U.S. Attorney's office summer internships (unpaid). Should give the opportunity to see what criminal work is like, and most likely option to get me into a courtroom, it seems. I don't think I want to do gov/crim work, but finding out for sure would be nice.
  • Go through b-school and some of my contacts for an MBB consulting summer internship. Uphill battle b/c I am so far from graduation.
  • Firm job - uphill for same reasons as MBB, and the financial upside is severely apped b/c of the reduction in tuition fellowship. On the bright side, I have heard there isn't really much work involved (lol)
  • Try to network my way into a position with an NBA or other pro sports team. Found one with the Pacers that actually seems like a really good fit in bball ops. Rare to find. Would be unpaid though, and I wouldn't get the fellowship.
  • Some other, as of yet unknown, idea.
ETA: any advice?

Summer Employment thoughts:

Any money I make above $6000 and taxes will reduce my tuition fellowships, and if I take non-paid work Stanford will give me a fellowship to pay housing and food all summer (except for a judicial externship). Just wanted that thought up front, so don't tell me firm work b/c money, as I break even after they reduce my tuition fellowship by the amounts I would make.

Options:

• A non-profit in DC that interests me, and should give me the chance to do quite a bit of writing. Upside: I know people in DC and may be able to pocket some of the summer fellowship and use on tuition next year.
  • U.S. Attorney's office summer internships (unpaid). Should give the opportunity to see what criminal work is like, and most likely option to get me into a courtroom, it seems. I don't think I want to do gov/crim work, but finding out for sure would be nice.
  • Go through b-school and some of my contacts for an MBB consulting summer internship. Uphill battle b/c I am so far from graduation.
  • Firm job - uphill for same reasons as MBB, and the financial upside is severely apped b/c of the reduction in tuition fellowship. On the bright side, I have heard there isn't really much work involved (lol)
  • Try to network my way into a position with an NBA or other pro sports team. Found one with the Pacers that actually seems like a really good fit in bball ops. Rare to find. Would be unpaid though, and I wouldn't get the fellowship.
  • Some other, as of yet unknown, idea.
ETA: any advice?
Take something in the field you want to work in, or in a field you'll kick yourself for never trying out. So... either the DC non-profit or the Pacers gig.

We should have a "Law Students Thread Where We Stop Ruining the Lawyer Thread" thread.
More like a "Hey, let me get advice from you guys regarding choices you never had because I'm so damn awesome thread" thread.

That said, I'd echo what Ford said. If you're at all interested in criminal stuff, the US attorney gig is the choice. I did a PDO internship my first summer and it basically spring boarded me to my current position and I loved every minute of it - had easily the most interesting summer of my peers. But, that's me. And, frankly, I'd probably have taken the Pacers job despite the drawbacks that isn't it law and you lose the stipend.

Pacers job if you can. First, it's the toughest area to break into, and second, while people have said you've been all over the map in terms of your future (which I actually think is perfectly understandable), you have been consistently interested in sports agency or other sports-related law from the get-go.

Why do you hate America?

We should have a "Law Students Thread Where We Stop Ruining the Lawyer Thread" thread.
More like a "Hey, let me get advice from you guys regarding choices you never had because I'm so damn awesome thread" thread. That said, I'd echo what Ford said. If you're at all interested in criminal stuff, the US attorney gig is the choice. I did a PDO internship my first summer and it basically spring boarded me to my current position and I loved every minute of it - had easily the most interesting summer of my peers. But, that's me. And, frankly, I'd probably have taken the Pacers job despite the drawbacks that isn't it law and you lose the stipend.
If you like crim law, don't you almost have to do something with the government before doing defense work?

But yeah, I'd probably do the sports gig given the chance.

I (sorta) knew a guy in college that did some unpaid gigs with baseball teams while everybody else was worried about making money and preparing for "real" jobs. It worked out extremely well for him. I think you should pursue your sports dream.

Has the SA program bounced back to where you don't have to do anything? We actually had to work and I think 50% of the SA class got no-offered. (Summer of 2009).

I went in after hearing stories of cushy 2L jobs where you're making 3K a week and have 1 project for the summer. Firm made it very clear that ITE, they were getting all they could for us.

Back in 2000 when I was a summer associate it was pretty awesome. They let me do work for my journal and counted it as hours worked on assignments. I don't think things are like that now.

Has the SA program bounced back to where you don't have to do anything? We actually had to work and I think 50% of the SA class got no-offered. (Summer of 2009).

I went in after hearing stories of cushy 2L jobs where you're making 3K a week and have 1 project for the summer. Firm made it very clear that ITE, they were getting all they could for us.
That was my experience, except they still didn't bill anything for our time. Just wanted to see how everyone handled a realistic associate schedule.

Users who are viewing this thread