Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Lawyer Thread Where We Stop Ruining Other Threads

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know if there's a real pinnacle to this profession. Some times it really seems like there isn't one. But I do now know that when you're standing there waiting and hoping for two words instead

Made partner today. 

The managing partners of the small plaintiff firm I work for called me in for a meeting today and informed me they'll be making me an offer this summer for a contract that calls for a gradual transfer

2 hours away from first final exam: Criminal Law.

Little bit of nervous anticipation. All ready to go though.

Good luck! My Crim Law professor had a review session before the final and he gave us this advice: "I will give you a fact pattern. Some of the people in the fact pattern will wind up dead. Some people taking this final will write about what crimes those dead people can be charged with. Don't be one of those people."

• Like 1

Good luck! My Crim Law professor had a review session before the final and he gave us this advice: "I will give you a fact pattern. Some of the people in the fact pattern will wind up dead. Some people taking this final will write about what crimes those dead people can be charged with. Don't be one of those people."

And the sad thing is.... I am absolutely positive some percentage - and not a de minimis percentage - will still write about the crimes of the dead people. :headbang:

It would be awesome shtick on a no word limit exam to go into the future interests of heirs and assigns for the dead people on the crim law final.

Edited by Gawain

It would be awesome shtick on a no word limit exam to go into the future interests of heirs and assigns for the dead people on the crim law final.

No. No, it would not be anything close to awesome.

• Like 1

Mens Rea.

Actus Reus

And the sad thing is.... I am absolutely positive some percentage - and not a de minimis percentage - will still write about the crimes of the dead people. :headbang:

I was one of those people. I also wrote plenty about the philosophy and policies surrounding each law.

I wish somebody would have shaken the #### out of my first year.

Mens Rea.

Actus Reus

Everyone sees the actus reus. Many people forget to argue the mens rea.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Assuming, arguendo, that the two dead criminals had a meeting of the minds and made a transfer with valid consideration immediately before their deaths, it is still unlikely that the contract between them would be valid. Allow me to explain why....

Assuming, arguendo, that the two dead criminals had a meeting of the minds and made a transfer with valid consideration immediately before their deaths, it is still unlikely that the contract between them would be valid. Allow me to explain why....

It's Friday. Enough of this ####.

Mens Rea.

Actus Reus

Whenever I read one of your posts, about half the time I have to go to the effing dictionary. :angry:

Mens Rea.

Actus Reus

Whenever I read one of your posts, about half the time I have to go to the effing dictionary. :angry:

Black's or Barron's?

Mens Rea.

Actus Reus

If that sentence were longer, you'd probably understand 3/4 of what I say.

• Like 1

Mens Rea.

Actus Reus

Black's or Barron's?

Noah Webster's. I love Henry, I really do.. very smart guy... and from Louisiana, which doesn't hurt... but damn, he uses more $10 words than anyone else on this board. Oh... and, I might add, I know that's just who he is... he's not trying to impress anyone or anything like that. That's why I love him. But still. 明白吗?

Edited by johnnycakes

I argued a pretty high profile pro bono case today. Getting a bunch of press attention, including Otis looking the part of an out of shape middle aged lawyer in the photos. :bag:

#### that. Pudgy with thinning hair is the new gladiator armor.

So I ventured into a Men's Warehouse on Black Friday to buy a suit on one of their deals. 149.99 or something. Find one, get fitted, set up the tailoring, etc. Go to pay and it's like $40 more than expected. I politely ask her if the price is right. She sheepishly informs me that she had to get the suit from the "big and tall section" (note: I'm 5'10") and there is an $40 charge for the extra fabric.

At least my hair isn't thinning.

Go #### yourself.

Fat and bald is the new look. Trust me

Or at least my new look

Edited by Redwes25

Mostly those who read the FFA.

Mostly those who read the FFA.

That might be good schtick, but sadly, I am sure there were a number of very intelligent students who still decided that writing about the crimes of the dead people was absolutely necessary.

Exam over. I think it went well. Who the #### knows. Half of it was policy (#SLS) so that might be different from other schools. The professors all act like SLS is different because of a policy focus. I have no idea if that is true.

Exam over. I think it went well. Who the #### knows. Half of it was policy (#SLS) so that might be different from other schools. The professors all act like SLS is different because of a policy focus. I have no idea if that is true.

That'll really help you in a courtroom.

• Like 2

I just got an email from an old client which attached a petition in my state asking me to oppose the petition.

The petition is an ex parte petition to make a foreign judgment executory in my state with a signed judgment of execution for a judgment from another state worth millions of dollars.

This weekend is going to suck.

I just got an email from an old client which attached a petition in my state asking me to oppose the petition.

The petition is an ex parte petition to make a foreign judgment executory in my state with a signed judgment of execution for a judgment from another state worth millions of dollars.

What's his defense?

What's his defense?
I'm not aware of one.

What's his defense?
I'm not aware of one.

Charge your extra-special weekend rate. :lmao:

Anyone (particularly Zow) online today who deals with CPS cases? Or nunc pro tunc orders in general?

I will be sporadically if you want to toss the issue out it shoot me a pm. Likely gonna be very state specific though.

Anyone (particularly Zow) online today who deals with CPS cases? Or nunc pro tunc orders in general?

I will be sporadically if you want to toss the issue out it shoot me a pm. Likely gonna be very state specific though.

Yeah... I just don't deal with these people much. Thanks for being willing, especially so quickly. I think I have it figured out.

Yeah... I just don't deal with these people much. Thanks for being willing, especially so quickly. I think I have it figured out.

Good to hear.

Good to hear.
Nunc pro tunc Order with a statement that something was to be done "this day." Confusion ensues.

Good to hear.
Nunc pro tunc Order with a statement that something was to be done "this day." Confusion ensues.

Shocking.

Good to hear.

Shocking.
Also, questions as to how the subject of the order would know to do something that day, when it wasn't recorded for several days.

I just ####ing gutted a defendant in a deposition. Eviscerated. Established liability for a kid getting raped in foster care.

I'd celebrate, but I am so tired.

Get ready to be tired, Instinctive. Very, very tired.

Good work.

4 finals in the span of 8 days. Torts is about to go down.

I don't have the career behind me to provide the extra exhaustion, but holy #### is this rough. Ready to rage as soon as the final ends. If I were less competitive, I'd just take a P and move on with my life.

I just ####ing gutted a defendant in a deposition. Eviscerated. Established liability for a kid getting raped in foster care.

:lmao:

I have a feeling this thread is going to turn into us just telling our one very impressive law student that his pie-in-the-sky ideals are a total crock.

Instinctive, just ignore us and do the following:

1. Do some voluntary work which makes you feel really good about yourself. Do some pro-bono landlord tenant work for the poor or the innocence project or something and believe you are effecting change.

2. Play the law school card up at bars when you're hitting on girls. Heck, create professional looking business cards with your school logos on it to give to chicks.

3. Start an intramural team, bar-night trivia team, or whatever menial hobby you and your law school buddies want to partake in that isn't completely law and name your team "The Tortfeasors". Then be sure to laugh amongst yourselves when the other teams, who are likely demolishing your team at whatever you're doing, look at you oddly because they don't know what a "tortfeasor" is.

4. Use the lame acronyms when referring to your student body (mine was "HUSL" - so much better than "SLS"), join study groups, and bond. Tackle finals' weeks like you're the Denver Broncos gearing up for the Super Bowl. Feel a sense of accomplishment when it's over and you're grabbing beers with your friends.

Do all of the above. Then the day after graduation forget about all of it.

Good work.

I don't have the career behind me to provide the extra exhaustion, but holy #### is this rough. Ready to rage as soon as the final ends. If I were less competitive, I'd just take a P and move on with my life.

good luck. Almost done. Then sleep for a few days straight.

So I'm about to do a suppression hearing where I'm claiming the Deputy who arrested my guy unconstitutionally expanded the scope of the initial traffic stop by issuing a warning then essentially hassling my guy until he gave up the drugs.

I know this deputy pretty well as we get along (played some pickup basketball together and stuff). I've had him speak in my class on numerous occasions and have informally discussed his drug interdiction tactics. He's admitted numerous times to using this particular trick to get people he thinks are drug abusers to consent to warrantless searches.

Considering whether it'd be incredibly dirty play on my part to use the informal info in court.

Good work.

The exhaustion isn't from the rest of the career, it's from pulling a tiny thread for a year and a half... Slowly, so it doesn't break. Watching the defense unravel, and still focusing and pulling slowly, until you have a full picture of how it was made. Then you help the defense build 18 months of lies upon lies upon B.S. into a huge house of cards standing on one major proposition sitting right in front of you at a deposition. And you don't feel tired until you look opposing counsel in the eye, pull the bottom card, and watch the whole thing fall down. When the work's done, you feel the whole 18 months while OC is begging you to believe him that he didn't know it was a lie that his client was telling.

If I were less competitive, I'd just take a P and move on with my life.

It isn't good for you to hold it in too long.
Some of the best advice mentors ever gave me. When you have a chance to pee, do it.

Three times in my career I've worked 51 hours straight, almost on the dot. Those are my longest periods of interrupted work. First time it was in conjunction with an IPO we were working on--I'd say 15-18 lawyers and businesspeople at the financial printer getting it done, back in the days when you actually went to the printer rather than having an online dataroom. Man, I miss the days at the printer--anything you want, they would get you. Lobster, steak, at some point booze would flow, usually there was a masseuse there.

Anyway, at one point 30+ hours in one of the partners and I noticed that a female associate had never left the main conference room, meaning she had not once gone to the bathroom. We kept watch for several more hours, but she never left. About 36 hours in we were both out of the room at the same time and couldn't continue to monitor this phenomenon, so I don't know if she made it the full 51 hours, but still...that's some impressive lawyering right there. ;)

Some of the best advice mentors ever gave me. When you have a chance to pee, do it.

Three times in my career I've worked 51 hours straight, almost on the dot. Those are my longest periods of interrupted work. First time it was in conjunction with an IPO we were working on--I'd say 15-18 lawyers and businesspeople at the financial printer getting it done, back in the days when you actually went to the printer rather than having an online dataroom. Man, I miss the days at the printer--anything you want, they would get you. Lobster, steak, at some point booze would flow, usually there was a masseuse there.

Anyway, at one point 30+ hours in one of the partners and I noticed that a female associate had never left the main conference room, meaning she had not once gone to the bathroom. We kept watch for several more hours, but she never left. About 36 hours in we were both out of the room at the same time and couldn't continue to monitor this phenomenon, so I don't know if she made it the full 51 hours, but still...that's some impressive lawyering right there. ;)

That wouldn't fly at The Firm where we routinely worked to midnight and had a courier run to Logan Airport for the last FedEx flight to Memphis. Oh yeah... back in the office by 7:00am.

That wouldn't fly at The Firm where we routinely worked to midnight and had a courier run to Logan Airport for the last FedEx flight to Memphis. Oh yeah... back in the office by 7:00am.

Protip: There are fewer than 51 hours in a day.

Protip: There are fewer than 51 hours in a day.

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?