What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NCAA HOOPS THREAD! -- K petitions to get Maui Jim Maui Invitational moved to Transylvania (1 Viewer)

Who is worse?

• Total voters
TheIronSheik said:
And I get that you liked Cronin, but aren't you also excited to see who we are going to get?  What's done is done.  And I can assure you, it had nothing to do with me, GB.

Sure, next year will be a down year as is the case with most first year coaches.  But I'm excited for the future.  Aren't you?
My excitement will be based on who the hire is and what the recruiting class looks like.  My point was that everyone said that Mick would never leave because it was his dream job.  Don't believe anyone would "never leave" is all I'm saying.

TheIronSheik said:
And I get that you liked Cronin, but aren't you also excited to see who we are going to get?  What's done is done.  And I can assure you, it had nothing to do with me, GB.

Sure, next year will be a down year as is the case with most first year coaches.  But I'm excited for the future.  Aren't you?
I hear Kevin Stallings is available.  All the Pitt fans who were eager to get rid of Jamie Dixon because all he did was get the team into the tournament every year but never got to the Final Four can get on board with your excitement.

My excitement will be based on who the hire is and what the recruiting class looks like.  My point was that everyone said that Mick would never leave because it was his dream job.  Don't believe anyone would "never leave" is all I'm saying.
And I get what you're saying.  I'm sure money can make just about anyone leave.  There is no sure thing.  All I'm saying is that your best chance of getting someone to stay a long time is find someone who has ties to the city or program.  And Nick loves UC.  So, yeah, if he became coach, he might still leave for a better paying job.  But I wouldn't be worried about that being anytime soon.  

I hear Kevin Stallings is available.  All the Pitt fans who were eager to get rid of Jamie Dixon because all he did was get the team into the tournament every year but never got to the Final Four can get on board with your excitement.
Sure, you can use that example.  Or I could look 3 miles north of campus and think about when Skip Prosser took over when Pete Gillen left.  Or Thad Matta when Skip left.  Or Sean Miller when Thad left.  Or Chris Mack when Sean left.  Unproven coaches who made a name for themselves just 3 miles north of Clifton.

Speaking of Thad Matta, I saw a couple articles saying UC should go after him.  Not sure it's anything grounded in reality or if I'd want him, but could you imagine the Crosstown Shootout with Thad Matta coaching UC?  That might sting a little in Norwood.

I really like the fact players can declare for the draft and still come back to their college team if they don't hire an agent.  I wasn't on these boards when this originally took place, so sorry about being late to the game on this.  But I think it's awesome that these kids can go talk to scouts and do the combine.  I think it's a win-win.  

Biggest flaw in this math is it is basically assuming he spends all his money and that he gets nothing comped. 
That and how many revenue streams coaches have besides salary. Commercials etc. 

Cronins a fantastic coach and I wish he had stayed forever like he often said he would. That said, I have always thought he had extremely thin skin and all this talk about being under appreciated isn’t surprising. If he thinks UC fans were hard on him and had high expectations instead of patting him on the back, UCLA is an odd choice. Anyway, he’s a great coach and he’s going to win. 

Saw this on twitter tonight with Cronin and Kareem together.  Cronin looks like a child  :lmao:

https://twitter.com/CoachMickCronin/status/1117471187100037120

So, we all know I'm no numbersmith.  But I saw this and thought it was interesting.  But I have no clue if the numbers are accurate.  If they are, pretty wild.

UC Salary: $2,200,000
Estimated after Taxes: $1,211,456

UCLA Salary: $4,000,000
Est. after Taxes: $1,951,954

LA cost of living = 54% higher than Cincinnati.

$1,211,456 salary equivalent in LA = $1,848,000

Difference in actualized dollars between Cincinnati and LA = +$103,954
COL calculator says he needs to  earn about $3.4mm in LA for it to be equivalent to $2.2mm in Cincinnati

https://www.bankrate.com/calculators/savings/moving-cost-of-living-calculator.aspx

Wade back at Lsu.  College basketball is truly the wild Wild West.   NCAA cannot seem to take control. 
They simply dont want to. They dont want bad publicity. With so many people supporting paying players and with racial issues making the news with ease, it is bad for business to make a big deal out of these things. 

They simply dont want to. They dont want bad publicity. With so many people supporting paying players and with racial issues making the news with ease, it is bad for business to make a big deal out of these things. 
I agree, thats why I said its the Wild Wild West.  Everything is on the table.

Strange that both Hauser brothers are transferring from Marquette a few days after Markus Howard said he was coming back next year.

I really like the fact players can declare for the draft and still come back to their college team if they don't hire an agent.  I wasn't on these boards when this originally took place, so sorry about being late to the game on this.  But I think it's awesome that these kids can go talk to scouts and do the combine.  I think it's a win-win.  
They can even hire an agent but it has to be one certified by the ncaa.

Strange that both Hauser brothers are transferring from Marquette a few days after Markus Howard said he was coming back next year.
I don't know if there's anything to connect those dots.  Kids decide to transfer for lots of different reasons.

Wojo still returns Howard, Theo John and a bunch of athletic wings including Utah State transfer Koby McEwan.  But losing two guys with the size and skills combo of the Hausers is a huge hit to absorb.

I don't know if there's anything to connect those dots.  Kids decide to transfer for lots of different reasons.

Wojo still returns Howard, Theo John and a bunch of athletic wings including Utah State transfer Koby McEwan.  But losing two guys with the size and skills combo of the Hausers is a huge hit to absorb.
Although it is admittedly pure speculation, I think there's a good chance the two events are directly related in this case.  That certainly seems to be the popular wisdom around town today. The tension down the stretch was apparent imo, as Howard continued to have those 20% shooting games while they dropped 4 straight to end the conference season, then crashed out of both tournaments.  

It seems likely they will both end up at Virginia.  The fact they both have to sit out a year, and I think Joey loses a year of eligibility, is pretty telling.

Kansas could be a train wreck. More players leaving than I anticipated.  Not sure if the NCAA is going to drop the hammer. 

So many attractive transfer options out there. It seems like any low major guard who scored over 12 per game and can be a grad transfer is looking to jump ship.

Lots of power 5 teams are gonna be picking up a 5th year sniper with pretty minimal effort

Although it is admittedly pure speculation, I think there's a good chance the two events are directly related in this case.  That certainly seems to be the popular wisdom around town today. The tension down the stretch was apparent imo, as Howard continued to have those 20% shooting games while they dropped 4 straight to end the conference season, then crashed out of both tournaments.  

It seems likely they will both end up at Virginia.  The fact they both have to sit out a year, and I think Joey loses a year of eligibility, is pretty telling.
There's lots of blame to go around for MU's late season collapse.  They were set up to live and die by Howard as the primary option.  He was injured and/or worn down by the tournaments and the team couldn't or wouldn't adjust.

Borderline NBA prospects like the Hausers have limited time to build some kind of draft stock.  Wojo hasn't shown he can develop players for the next level.  Sam and Joey have some skills but they need a lot of work on the defensive end.  That's where UVA has excelled.  I would say come to Madison but it's not exactly the pipeline to the NBA.

The redshirt Freshman thing didn't work out too well for Joey.  Hopefully he'll be able to get that year back.

So many attractive transfer options out there. It seems like any low major guard who scored over 12 per game and can be a grad transfer is looking to jump ship.

Lots of power 5 teams are gonna be picking up a 5th year sniper with pretty minimal effort
That's the way the college game is now.  It's great that the kids are graduating and it's not like the NCAA is paying them.

So you think he went to duke for nothing ?  Good one ..
He went to Duke because they are on TV more than anyone else. Because K is the Goat. Duke has a very successful brand. Because if you haven’t noticed Duke has put more players in the league than anyone over the last decade. And the Olympic experience and all the public love K gets from the NBA elites saying he’s the greatest coach they ever had sure doesn’t hurt either. So yeah, Duke has nothing to offer elite recruits they must pay them  :rolleyes:

He went to Duke because they are on TV more than anyone else. Because K is the Goat. Duke has a very successful brand. Because if you haven’t noticed Duke has put more players in the league than anyone over the last decade. And the Olympic experience and all the public love K gets from the NBA elites saying he’s the greatest coach they ever had sure doesn’t hurt either. So yeah, Duke has nothing to offer elite recruits they must pay them  :rolleyes:
I see you are smoking early. A great college basketball player can make any school. 

:lmao:  

Crazier things have worked in hoops but Porter Moser seems like kind of an odd fit for St. John's.  Sister Jean has the inside track to replace Moser at Loyola.

Wow. Rick Barnes with some brutal honesty - 

• Barnes on how close he came to leaving for UCLA: "There was one time in my mind I truly felt that would happen."
  • Rick Barnes on staying at Tennessee: "It has to make sense from a financial standpoint. And the bottom line is, we just couldn't work it out, the buyout."
  • Barnes is asked directly if he would have left if UCLA had covered the buyout: "I think I would have been the coach at UCLA."

Wow. Rick Barnes with some brutal honesty - 

• Barnes on how close he came to leaving for UCLA: "There was one time in my mind I truly felt that would happen."
  • Rick Barnes on staying at Tennessee: "It has to make sense from a financial standpoint. And the bottom line is, we just couldn't work it out, the buyout."
  • Barnes is asked directly if he would have left if UCLA had covered the buyout: "I think I would have been the coach at UCLA."
Wow.  Everyone always says they want honesty.  But honesty isn't always the best policy.

The St. John's search has been a comedy of errors so far.

The new guy isn't going to have much to work with.
It's a shame because Mullin had started to make that program at least good again after years of terribleness.  All that progress seems to have been wiped away with his departure.

Every major school pays recruits. Duke probably pays more than most since they are private. If you disagree, you’re just wrong, no big deal. 
Duke must have just bought Hurt too, he just announced this afternoon. And Cassius Stanley’s check arrives Monday so he will announce Monday as well. 

Has there ever been a more over rated coach than Coach K?  How do you consistently get multiple 5 star 1 and done talent but can't get into Final 4's let alone win championships?

Last edited by a moderator:
Has there ever been a more over rated coach than Coach K?  How do you consistently get multiple 5 star 1 and done talent but can't get into Final 4's let alone win championships?
Two straight Elite Eights and a title five years ago :shrug:

Coaching one and done talent certainly has its advantages but so does developing a cohesive unit over multiple years.

Two straight Elite Eights and a title five years ago :shrug:

Coaching one and done talent certainly has its advantages but so does developing a cohesive unit over multiple years.
I am not saying he is a bad coach, I think he is a good coach.  Elite recruiter for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread